Derek Grant Contract Status

Speaking about Grant and Backlund in the same breath is way off base. We don't even know if Grant can handle 4 line duties full time let alone put up 40 points playing a very strong shutdown game.

Agreed,

Not to put down Derek Grant but as i've said before I think people are getting way too ahead of themselves. This is a player who in 34 NHL games has yet to score a goal so to suggest he could be ready to be their full time 3rd line center next year is highly improbable. To trade a very good 3rd line center to make room for someone who has zero goals in 30 plus games is not very smart team building. 

Agreed,

Not to put down Derek Grant but as i've said before I think people are getting way too ahead of themselves. This is a player who in 34 NHL games has yet to score a goal so to suggest he could be ready to be their full time 3rd line center next year is highly improbable. To trade a very good 3rd line center to make room for someone who has zero goals in 30 plus games is not very smart team building. 

I would agree with that. But if the flames found some way to offload stajan, I dont think he would have a hard time slotting into the 4th line centre spot. I thought he looked good in his call up, and I think the flames should be calling him up to get a second look.

I would agree with that. But if the flames found some way to offload stajan, I dont think he would have a hard time slotting into the 4th line centre spot. I thought he looked good in his call up, and I think the flames should be calling him up to get a second look.

Between Grant, Colborne, Arnold, Jankowski, Hamilton, Shore, etc I am certain they can at least fill the spot.

Unfortunately moving Stajan is near impossible outside a buyout. Which I think is possible. Though if there is an expansion draft they may keep him to meet the salary requirements on exposed players.

Between Grant, Colborne, Arnold, Jankowski, Hamilton, Shore, etc I am certain they can at least fill the spot.

Unfortunately moving Stajan is near impossible outside a buyout. Which I think is possible. Though if there is an expansion draft they may keep him to meet the salary requirements on exposed players.

Stajan has a limited NTC, so you can likely assume he would have to be protected.  If that is the case, he gets bought out prior to any expansion draft.  One would think that the NHL would allow for a buyout just prior to the draft, whenever it is.

Stajan has a limited NTC, so you can likely assume he would have to be protected. If that is the case, he gets bought out prior to any expansion draft. One would think that the NHL would allow for a buyout just prior to the draft, whenever it is.

Agreed. If that is the rule. But I seriously doubt they protect partial NTC. The talk is it would be limited to NMC only.

Agreed. If that is the rule. But I seriously doubt they protect partial NTC. The talk is it would be limited to NMC only.

Everything seems to be open to interpretation right now.  Friedman hinted that Gillies would not be exposed due to being a 2nd year pro, but I read elsewhere where that would be exposed.  Will be cleared up soon enough, if it goes in 2017/18.  Would have to be announced by June 1st this year I believe.

• 3 months later...

Archived