All Things NHL Referees

DirtyDeeds

I was going to limit this topic to the Flames and the Flames section but it deserves to be discussed on a league level rather than just from a Flames perspective.

So last year the Flames was among the least penalized teams. This year not so.

Is there a difference/reason?

Lately the complaints in the GDT are increasing on the BS calls so...

What do you feel is happening and....

Do you think there is some fallout(not sure I can put it any other way) against the Flames because of the Wideman incident with the linesman?

At very least we are not getting the benefit of any doubts in calls against us.

Saw on Twitter that since the Wideman suspension, the number of Flames penalties has increased by 66%/game, from 2.4 per game to 3.6.  Ironically, the Flames penalty kill has improved considerably, except in crucial circumstances.  BUT this time next year we'll be thanking the refs for a top 3 pick.  As much I like Matthews, we need a RW like Laine more.  Or Puljujarvi or Nylander wouldn't hurt our top line either

But as for reffing goes, there does seem to be quite a hate for the Flames.  Something that should light a fire in them for next season!  This one's a wash...

I watch some of the East games, and there are many more times when the refs let the players play.  I then watch a Flames game a see goalies run, players hacked while carrying the puck, pick plays. poor sportsmanship (players skating across the blueline during warmup, or shooting the puck at the net in warmup), etc. going uncalled.  Prior to the Wideman incident, we were among the least penalized team, which is part of the reason why our PK% was bad.  Just one of them.  Since the Wideman call, we have seen games where multiple 5-3 or more than 5 penalties are called against us.  

Sure some of those games had similar numbers of call for each team, but somehow we always seemed to have at least one more.  

Tonight a headshot on Bennett, and it only gets 2 minutes? 

I hate to pick on Refs and i'm not a fan of conspiracy theories but in this case its getting really hard not to. As mentioned penalties are up over 60% on the Flames since the Wideman incident and while I do feel part of that is the Flames play, last night was just a horribly officiated game. Last night was such an obvious example of one team getting picked on by the Refs. Every single little thing the Flames did got called, and then Buffalo does the same thing, no call.

It was truly embarassing. As a fan of the game I was appauled by the officials last night. 

I hate to pick on Refs and i'm not a fan of conspiracy theories but in this case its getting really hard not to. As mentioned penalties are up over 60% on the Flames since the Wideman incident and while I do feel part of that is the Flames play, last night was just a horribly officiated game. Last night was such an obvious example of one team getting picked on by the Refs. Every single little thing the Flames did got called, and then Buffalo does the same thing, no call.

It was truly embarassing. As a fan of the game I was appauled by the officials last night. 

I don't begrudge most of the calls last night.  Some were obvious.  Some were borderline. Some were ridiculous.  Hartley admistted that we lack discipline.  That may be true, but why do we have to see it called so blatantly against one team.  You watch games where everything is called; usually one team gets an extra penalty here or there.  You watch games where nothing is called.  Rarely do you see a game where one team is picked apart.  Eichel is smart, but he could have been (should) for diving.  You don't fly up in the air if your feet are barely touched.  Fine, they called a penalty.  But those were the most obvious penalties.  Joe's was marginal. Hamilton's was pretty close to the whistle.  Hathaway's was very weak.  

If the head of officiating doesn't review the game tape, then he is as bad as the group working last night.  Watch a Ducks or Kings game.  Watch Ovi play for a shift.  Watch Crosby play a bit.  Open your eyes. 

I feel that at least half of the increase in penalties is due purely to frustration and undisciplined play.

The other half unfortunately may be due to the Wideman situation.

I remember back in the 1980s, when one of Risebrough's relatives was an official, the Flames could never catch a break.

That seemed to continue until about 5 years ago, when the team played very disciplined hockey, and the players didn't yap at the officials.

It looks like we've lost that advantage again.

Archived