Calgary Flames Drafting and Development: Your Analysis

rickross

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

As per the CBA he can only stay on conditional loan for so long before he has to be recalled.

As Conumdrumed said nobody has to be sent down, and because he was on loan he doesn't count against our 2 recalls that we have left for the rest of the season.

Recall-wise, there is no impact.

Extra guys floating around with not enough spots to play them regularly for the right reason.

Stone doesn't play LD, which is the only place where he would possibly beat out a player.

I suppose you could move Brodie to 3rd pair and play with Stone, but Fantenberg has been playing pretty well.

LD                   RD

Gio                  Brodie

Hanifin            Hamonic

Fantenberg     Andersson

Kylington        Prout

Stone

Pretty tough to find spots to play these guys in.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Recall-wise, there is no impact.

Extra guys floating around with not enough spots to play them regularly for the right reason.

Stone doesn't play LD, which is the only place where he would possibly beat out a player.

I suppose you could move Brodie to 3rd pair and play with Stone, but Fantenberg has been playing pretty well.

LD                   RD

Gio                  Brodie

Hanifin            Hamonic

Fantenberg     Andersson

Kylington        Prout

Stone

Pretty tough to find spots to play these guys in.

And haven't added Valimaki yet.

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

And haven't added Valimaki yet.

Ya,  was just talking about who's one the roster.

I am a little hesitant on bringing up a guy just off an injury in his first pro year.

The playoffs is maybe not the greatest time to groom him.

If we were down to 3 LD available I might have something else to say.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ya,  was just talking about who's one the roster.

I am a little hesitant on bringing up a guy just off an injury in his first pro year.

The playoffs is maybe not the greatest time to groom him.

If we were down to 3 LD available I might have something else to say.

I remember reading at tdl that they were expecting to call Vali back up in mid to late March.

I hope they do. Stockton isn't making the playoffs so seeing what the playoffs are like isn't a terrible thing to be around even if he isn't in consistently.

But if Hanifin doesn't get better, he might be regardless.

Ice the best team is all I ask. If that's 2 rooks on D, so be it.

Can't be afraid due to preconceived notions.

And he's not really "just off an injury", I believe he's played 16 in Stockton now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I remember reading at tdl that they were expecting to call Vali back up in mid to late March.

I hope they do. Stockton isn't making the playoffs so seeing what the playoffs are like isn't a terrible thing to be around even if he isn't in consistently.

But if Hanifin doesn't get better, he might be regardless.

Ice the best team is all I ask. If that's 2 rooks on D, so be it.

Can't be afraid due to preconceived notions.

And he's not really "just off an injury", I believe he's played 16 in Stockton now.

Played 16, but missed several months here.

The Heat pretty much have to run the tables, but it's still possible.

Once the Heat are toast, he will get the call.

It's not going to happen right now, since we have 2 regular recalls left.

You need that for forwards.

I'm not against having him up, but the loner he gets top pair minutes in STockton, the better he will be able to just in to play.

TBH, I think Dube is the next recall used, if Neal doesn;t come back till like game 81.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Supposedly, we are one of the teams trying to sign this guy.

Maximilian Veronneau

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=161764

He attending one of the Flames Dev camps.

He's from Ottawa, but that means little.

Shoots right?

Hmmm.

Any interest?

He doesn't cost us anything other than a contract so it's worth a look. That being said the college UFA's rarely amount to anything, if you are really lucky you get a Garnet Hathaway, but most of the time you are getting AHL depth players like Spencer Foo or Josh Healey.

30 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He doesn't cost us anything other than a contract so it's worth a look. That being said the college UFA's rarely amount to anything, if you are really lucky you get a Garnet Hathaway, but most of the time you are getting AHL depth players like Spencer Foo or Josh Healey.

The positive thing is that he isn't a one-year wonder.

Has increased production over three years, slight dip so far this season in points.

Top 2 in points over the last few years.

Supposed possesses good skills.

Him and Kuffner are both FA this year, though Kuffner was at WPG's dev camp.

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Supposedly, we are one of the teams trying to sign this guy.

Maximilian Veronneau

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=161764

He attending one of the Flames Dev camps.

He's from Ottawa, but that means little.

Shoots right?

Hmmm.

Any interest?

He ended up signing with Ottawa.

A few other guys that might be worth checking out are

Jimmy Schuldt: a slick skating defenseman with a big shot. He has been the captain of his college team 3 of his 4 years at St. Cloud State.

Josh Wilkins: an undersized C from Providence. Coming from that program you know that he will have a two ability.

Nico Sturm: a big C, probably fits as a 4th line guy, has good attention to details especially on the defensive side of things. Also skates well.

Think the Flames will struggle to get a high profile college free agent. They are deep and young in key spots so they can't offer to burn a year and they really can't offer much of an opportunity in the next year or two. T

They were supposed to be on Teves but lost him to Vancouver. i suspect that will be the case for most and maybe they snag a guy later int he process. However, they do have a decent amount of draft picks to sign too that should make the jump next year. 

On 3/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, travel_dude said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but a callup is a callup.

You are correct. Emergency call-up is the only exception. 

• Like 1

Duszac signed with the Leafs

Veronneau signed with Ottawa.

Kuffner signed with the Wings.

What amazes me is that the Oilers were not able to sign anyone.  I find that strange.  They are not a deep team and any player going there could slot in the top 6 right away.  Next year, even more so.  I get wanting to play in a rebuilding team, but Ottawa is years away from any kind of resurgence.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, rickross said:

Luke Philp anyone? He looks like a pretty good prospect by all accounts. Good on the Flames for investing close to home. Let’s hope he turns out to be a gem

Low risk move. If it doesn’t work and he plays the next 2 years in Stockton and nothing more it only costs the organization a few hundred k in cash. If he pans out you got yourself an NHLer without using a draft pick 

On 3/13/2019 at 2:38 PM, cross16 said:

Think the Flames will struggle to get a high profile college free agent. They are deep and young in key spots so they can't offer to burn a year and they really can't offer much of an opportunity in the next year or two. T

They were supposed to be on Teves but lost him to Vancouver. i suspect that will be the case for most and maybe they snag a guy later int he process. However, they do have a decent amount of draft picks to sign too that should make the jump next year. 

You are correct. Emergency call-up is the only exception. 

Excellent point cross. We no longer look like a team that has roster spots to offer, which is a beautiful thing.

These "high profile" college free agents are typically so overrated that they seldom become solid answers. But they are in the enviable position of having teams play off of each other. Spencer Foo anyone?

Philp is a good zero risk move sans hype.

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Excellent point cross. We no longer look like a team that has roster spots to offer, which is a beautiful thing.

These "high profile" college free agents are typically so overrated that they seldom become solid answers. But they are in the enviable position of having teams play off of each other. Spencer Foo anyone?

Philp is a good zero risk move sans hype.

Mid we remain a contender, high profile players may want to sign in Calgary though. Very rare but like Panarin in Chicago? Probably not though. It is the hope that players want a chance at a Cup.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Mid we remain a contender, high profile players may want to sign in Calgary though. Very rare but like Panarin in Chicago? Probably not though. It is the hope that players want a chance at a Cup.

Breadman wanted to go to the "Big City" back then, contender was secondary.

He was a bit put off that he got traded to Columbus.

If there was a way we could sign him this summer, that would be great.

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Breadman wanted to go to the "Big City" back then, contender was secondary.

He was a bit put off that he got traded to Columbus.

If there was a way we could sign him this summer, that would be great.

Do we consider any of our players as game breakers? Someone who can bust a game wide open? 

Gaudreau? Monahan? 

I think as the season winds down it’s really looking like we gotta do it by committee.

47 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Do we consider any of our players as game breakers? Someone who can bust a game wide open? 

Gaudreau? Monahan? 

I think as the season winds down it’s really looking like we gotta do it by committee.

Game breakers?

I'd say we have about 5 that are on the scoreboard more often than not.

Like the other contenders, we have lines of players.

JH - 6 point night.

Matty - hattie.

Monahan - when 100% he is money.

Lindholm - dry spell, but has been a game breaker all season.

Gio - takes the team on his back.

I compare to the contenders and none of them has that single player that dominates by themselves.

Maybe a game here and there.

Tampa has lines of goal scorers.

BOS has a top line and 2nd line.

TOR has lines.

SJS has lines.

WPG has two very good lines.

The non-contenders tend to have single players, which is why they are not contenders.

Or lines that are limited in goal scoring, like ARI.

EDM - obvious.

COL - two or three players on one line.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Game breakers?

I'd say we have about 5 that are on the scoreboard more often than not.

Like the other contenders, we have lines of players.

JH - 6 point night.

Matty - hattie.

Monahan - when 100% he is money.

Lindholm - dry spell, but has been a game breaker all season.

Gio - takes the team on his back.

I compare to the contenders and none of them has that single player that dominates by themselves.

Maybe a game here and there.

Tampa has lines of goal scorers.

BOS has a top line and 2nd line.

TOR has lines.

SJS has lines.

WPG has two very good lines.

The non-contenders tend to have single players, which is why they are not contenders.

Or lines that are limited in goal scoring, like ARI.

EDM - obvious.

COL - two or three players on one line.

I guess everyone hid the chance of going cold. And we won’t know what these guys will do in the playoffs as it’s their first go at it in their actual prime. 

Look at the Sharks. They have players who’ve performed in the playoffs but it shows how tough it is to win it all. They’ve been consistently considered contenders for awhile; off and on for years.

Major tip of the cap to the scouting staff.

Finding Andrew Mangiapane in the 6th round looks to be a steal. It took a while for him to get his feet under him at the NHL level but boy does he ever look comfy now. My hope is he can be a Connor Sheary type player for us, not a superstar but good for 10-15 every year, maybe even flirt with 20 if given a top 6 role and provide excellent depth come playoff time. Even if he never graduates from a 4th line role it's still a win, getting a NHLer in the 6th round is a huge win. Only 3 other picks in the 2015 6th round have played games, Mason Appleton, Cooper Marody and Brett Seeney. Credit to our scouts.

Even with the amount of picks sent out the door in recent years I feel optimistic that the scouting staff may have found some guys who will become players.

Dube, being the most obvious, Emilio-Pettersen could be a highly skilled player we found in round 6, Pospisil I think has a chance even if it's to be in the role Hathaway currently plays, Roman plays a game that's gonna transition well to pro, Ruzicka has all the tools but can he put them all in his toolbox at once remains to be seen, Zavgorodniy has tons of talent but he's gonna need to do it in the pro ranks like Matt Phillips is going through. The cupboards aren't as bare as they may seem up front, I'm sure the backend will be targeted more-so at this years draft

• Like 2