NHL Website Redesign

darth_henning

So, went to NHL.com today. The site has been completely re-designed into a very white format with a long page of mobile-friendly stories rather than the old condensed version. 

Am I the only one who completely loathes the new design? No scores across the top of the page, huge amount of scrolling to find what you're looking for (rather than just point and click), and worst of all, the fact that it takes 3 times as long to load. 

So, went to NHL.com today. The site has been completely re-designed into a very white format with a long page of mobile-friendly stories rather than the old condensed version. 

Am I the only one who completely loathes the new design? No scores across the top of the page, huge amount of scrolling to find what you're looking for (rather than just point and click), and worst of all, the fact that it takes 3 times as long to load. 

White will take some getting used to...

Scores are still across the top, just give them more time to load.

7e085fdf90b00931c9bae330e5ffad82.jpg

The theory is white with black type should be easiest to read and simplest to load so if people are experiencing slow load times it might just need some time first couple of times to load all the basic graphics and/or need a bit of optimizing too.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-major-league-baseball-advanced-media-form-transformative-digital-rights-partnership/c-776246

Back in August 2015, MLBAM purchased all NHL digital media rights and will be the platform used to stream all future NHL games online.  This means MLBAM will manage NHL.com all NHL team websites, including the Calgaryflames.com.  MLBAM may also, this is not official notice or anything, facelift all NHL team message boards.  There is nothing to announce right now as we haven't been notified how things will change, if anything even changes for us.

If anyone ever visits MLB team message boards, then that may give you a sense to what we could expect to see moving forward.

Not only you I found it pretty digusting to try to navigate on my work computer at breaktime.  Took up most of my break just to find what i wanted.  Does not seem so bad on the home one though must just been there network but i still detest most of the layout. At work the team page was screwd with the options vertical rather than horizontal giving only 1 per page unlike the 6 or 7 i can now see at once.

White will take some getting used to...

Scores are still across the top, just give them more time to load.

The theory is white with black type should be easiest to read and simplest to load so if people are experiencing slow load times it might just need some time first couple of times to load all the basic graphics and/or need a bit of optimizing too.

I don't mind the white in theory, I'm just getting tired of that becoming the standard for almost ever news website (at least the ones I use) lately. I like a bit of variety other than "eye-searing white". But that's a minor gripe

I can get scores to load in Opera, but not Firefox of Chrome (which are the two I actually use). The loading time has not improved. 

Also, the standings page is horrible. Huge font, no column demarkations, and practically unreadable (though I admit the green and red goal differentials is a nice touch)

I use Chrome and the score tabs load for me no problem.

I also use an extension called Deluminate that inverts the colors. So the site appears black to me (the forums here too). I was using hacker vision until they decided to require payment.

I don't like that the news isn't displayed right up front which was about the only reason I went to NHL.com other than standings.

I use the NHL app on my phone and it was redesigned as well, and it is 100% more useful. I generally only use NHL.com or the app to check the standings or player stats and now I can check that info from the app and all the info I want is right there.

There is most likely the reason for the re-design.  More and more sites are being modified to mimic the smart-phone versions or at least optimize the laptop/desktop versions.  TSN has been through this quite a few times in the last two years, and I hate every version they have used.  It's starting to look like all the media sites are using one content provider, and just using a standard frame design.

There is most likely the reason for the re-design. More and more sites are being modified to mimic the smart-phone versions or at least optimize the laptop/desktop versions. TSN has been through this quite a few times in the last two years, and I hate every version they have used. It's starting to look like all the media sites are using one content provider, and just using a standard frame design.

I rarely use my laptop for anything anymore. 95% of the time I access websites via my phone or tablet. It drives me nuts when websites don't have the same content on their apps or mobile website as they do on their desktop version.

New design is terrible.   Scores across the top are too big. No obvious link to a game recap.

No access to highlights package for each game.  You click through to NHLTV (gamecenter live) and no highlights or condensed highlights are available as options.  You actually click on video and it opens up another page and the recaps are on there but it is no longer obvious.

Watched last nights game vs Cane on replay this morning.  Every time it went to a commercial break it reloaded the Leah Hextall intro at the beginning of the game again.

News on NHL.com is fragmented and you have to scroll through lots of garbage.

Worst update ever.

Only thing i don't like about the new re-design is the lack of the quick list of stories on the right...

But i don't use the site for the NHL stories.

I use it for stats... so overall i don't mind.

What i do ABSOLUTELY LOVE is the redesigned apps!

The Roku app is absolutely amazing in the level of improvement... 

To lesser degree is my Samsung phone app... and to a lesser degree than that is an improvement on my iPad.

All improved and are awesome... Roku the most drastic change.

I haven't checked on the playstation app yet in the basement.. 

New design is terrible.   Scores across the top are too big. No obvious link to a game recap.

No access to highlights package for each game.  You click through to NHLTV (gamecenter live) and no highlights or condensed highlights are available as options.  You actually click on video and it opens up another page and the recaps are on there but it is no longer obvious.

Watched last nights game vs Cane on replay this morning.  Every time it went to a commercial break it reloaded the Leah Hextall intro at the beginning of the game again.

News on NHL.com is fragmented and you have to scroll through lots of garbage.

Worst update ever.

I'm not a fan of the TV section of the site. The feed is really laggy but only on full screen. Also on full screen, the display shifts down so part of the screen is cut off and I have to hover above the button location in order to click the button.

I ended up just zooming in with the browser and not trying full screen again after a couple minutes of problems.

I agree too, it's really difficult to navigate. Used to be just one click and I'm in. Now I have to go through several clicks/steps to watch.

The simple solution is often the best solution.

• 5 months later...

I had to follow the redo password advice top of forums and now can only log in on NHL.com. Any attempts old or new passwords are met with rejection.

Can't get my laptop to work anywhere to get in.

can only log into nhl.com to comment on this forum. f'd up

It worked this time!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Archived