Glencross Regrets Taking Hometown Discount With The Flames

Wreckening

Gootch doesn't really surprise me, but GlenX....wow, that's definitely a surprise.  I really hope he finds someplace to land.

He just wasn't that good in training camp / preseason, and he really needed to be.  It was the right decision but I'm surprised too.  Hopefully just a poorly timed slump for the guy.  He Should theoretically have some good playing years left.

I'm surprised only because it's the Leafs.  He "should" be able to make that team on a tryout. 

That said, he's just not good enough for 75% of teams in the NHL so in that regard, good move on the Leafs to release him.  There are better options out there, unfortunately.

I like Glencross and would like to say all the nicest things about him and his situation but reality is reality.  He's not as good as he used to be.

I think that sums it up. It's really unfortunate, as I always hope for former Flames players to find success. Last year, I thought his sub-par play with the Flames might be due to him being a bit discontent with his role on the team and knowing a trade was likely pending. But the fact that he was unable to step it up with a new team (in the playoffs, no less), and now again when he's fighting for an NHL roster spot... seems to indicate it's not just attitude or a cold streak. It seems like a pretty clear trend of decline at this point.

I still hope he might land somewhere, maybe in a 3rd line defensive role. I think he could have value there, but only if he's paid accordingly and accepts the role. He's definitely not going to be getting top 6 money at this point, that's for sure.

I mean, the Flames rolled the dice on Setoguchi last year, and Glencross is definitely better than that, so hopefully someone will take a chance on him this year?

I think that sums it up. It's really unfortunate, as I always hope for former Flames players to find success. Last year, I thought his sub-par play with the Flames might be due to him being a bit discontent with his role on the team and knowing a trade was likely pending. But the fact that he was unable to step it up with a new team (in the playoffs, no less), and now again when he's fighting for an NHL roster spot... seems to indicate it's not just attitude or a cold streak. It seems like a pretty clear trend of decline at this point.

I still hope he might land somewhere, maybe in a 3rd line defensive role. I think he could have value there, but only if he's paid accordingly and accepts the role. He's definitely not going to be getting top 6 money at this point, that's for sure.

I mean, the Flames rolled the dice on Setoguchi last year, and Glencross is definitely better than that, so hopefully someone will take a chance on him this year?

Injuries to a bottom 6 player might present the opportunity, but there are still guys out there that have equal or better value.

He wasn't that bad a player on the Flames last year, but suffered a bit from being dropped to the 3rd line.  When he went to the Caps, they trying to hold onto a playoff position.  The lines were mostly set.  Had he had a full season with them, he might have gelled a bit better.  That carried over to the playoffs, so he never got much opportunity to shine there.

Who knows, maybe the Oilers come calling.  He is much better than a Gazdic or some of their lesser players.  I hope he doesn't, as it would be tough to play against him. 

They Oilers actually did consider giving him a PTO as well, but decided they would continue with the youth movement.  GlenX would have been a good addition IMO, seasoned vet with tons of experience and still something to offer on the ice.

With his being released from Toronto it may not bode well for him.  I'd say for him to play pro hockey somewhere, anywhere.  Because there will be an NHL club that finds they need him this year, likely more sooner than later, and he will be back.

The honeymoon is over in Colorado. Last seasons reality check has been followed by some really questionable moves.

That said, Glencross could be a fit for them. His game fits the West better. When he is motivated he is a great third line winger that can slot top 6 in a pinch. He should be motivated this season. He could be a steal of a deal.

The honeymoon is over in Colorado. Last seasons reality check has been followed by some really questionable moves.

That said, Glencross could be a fit for them. His game fits the West better. When he is motivated he is a great third line winger that can slot top 6 in a pinch. He should be motivated this season. He could be a steal of a deal.

Agreed. They are getting older when the rest of the league is getting younger. Tanguay, Iginla, Beauchemin, Stuarts etc. Sakic and Roy are IMO taking that team in the wrong direction.

As we've always said if you get a motivated Glencross you get a solid player. I would have thought he would have had a lot of motivation last year being it a contract year and everything but that didn't seem to matter to him. I think he is a risk at this point, but coudl pay off.

Agreed. They are getting older when the rest of the league is getting younger. Tanguay, Iginla, Beauchemin, Stuarts etc. Sakic and Roy are IMO taking that team in the wrong direction.

As we've always said if you get a motivated Glencross you get a solid player. I would have thought he would have had a lot of motivation last year being it a contract year and everything but that didn't seem to matter to him. I think he is a risk at this point, but coudl pay off.

The team is starting to remind me of Iggy's team.  Bring in older vets that played with him in the past.  Add a vet defender over the age to be a long term piece to the puzzle.  Trade away a goalie before he becomes a star (Anderson) or a promising defender (Shatenkirk).  They need to rebuild wit the young core they do have.  

The Avs seem to be on one year and off the next.  They are coming off an off-year so... probably going to trend upwards again this season.

At the end of the day, the Avs will be lead down the middle by Duchene, Mackinnon, and Soderberg.  This should be as good a 1-2-3 punch as any in the Western Conference.  Tyson Barrie and Erik Johnson play the biggest roles on D and they are joined by Zadorov and Gormley for this season.  There is a youth movement going on in Colorado despite Iginla, Tanguay, Beauchemin, and Stuart. 

Not sure he was that impressive last game to get a contract. All the best to him.

Apparently, there was discussions through the summer with Roy, who called GlenX right after he was cut.  He told Glenny early that he wanted him with Iggy and Duschne.  That was the initial feeling and Roy stayed true to his word and said the same thing this week.

Pretty classy move by Roy.

I'm sure this is an old number but the Sun article said GlenX was looking for a 4 year deal at more than $4 million per year from the Flames a year ago ?  Whoa, no wonder he's still without a contract.  He should fire his agent for not setting him straight. 

From http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2015/10/11/rumors-and-notes-hawks-sabres-stars-leafs-kings-and-more/

"Curtis Glencross was released from PTOs by the Maple Leafs and Avalanche. Glencross notes that the salary cap is partially to blame for depth players being pinched out.

“I think seven or eight guys will get the money and the rest will go to entry-level players or younger guys which will take the middle class out,” Glencross told the Dreger Report.

Glencross thought he was going to sign with the Avalanche this summer.

“I really thought I was going to sign with Colorado in the summer,” he said. “I spoke with Patrick Roy on the phone for almost an hour.  He said they wanted to sign a d-man first, so I waited and waited and waited and there was nothing.”

Glencross realizes that he might be faced with retirement if nothing arises."

Curtis Glencross says he's retiring. "We have weighed our options and with the young family I'm enjoying a lot of firsts with them."

The worst thing IMHO is for a player to hang onto something after it has passed him by.  He opted not to play in Europe.  Smart move.  He didn't sign on with and AHL club.  Smart move.  He may not be rich, but he has enjoyed a reasonably good career for an agitator.  He was never going to be a top scoring forward again, and the middle of the road guys are much easier to find or replace with a young developing talent.  

Good luck GlenX and thanks for not being an Oiler during those years when we needed a spark.

Archived