Glencross Regrets Taking Hometown Discount With The Flames

Wreckening

So it seems GlenX is lamenting taking the hometown discount on his last contract with the Flames. He now sits on the outside looking in as an unrestricted free agent this season.

He makes some valid points in that the NHL is a numbers game but really when it comes down to brass tacks was he really worth more to the Flames then his last contract? I think the value on his last contract was fair to both sides. Here is a guy that was hot and cold through most of his career and often injured. He wasn't a power forward, he put up ok numbers and he wouldn't be considered a star even when he played here.

So my question is this. Should he be upset that he thinks he left money on the table during his time here? Don't get me wrong I liked GlenX when he was with the Flames but I wouldn't have paid him top dollar to be here.

He was underpaid in the first two years, the last two, it could be argued that he was overpaid.

I think both sides got fair value from that contract.

If he already had a new contract signed for this season, I doubt we would have ever heard this complaint from him.

Absolutely, current circumstances shade everything.  Who would have predicted he'd be without a contract?  Or for that matter Franson...

Its probably coming as a shock to everyone involved in the NHL, players, teams and agents that the low C$ and probable Cap stagnation or decline is now a reality for the foreseeable future.  Teams are really scrambling and being way more cautious about their $s.  Glencross is certainly a victim in that, and perhaps he hasn't realized and reduced his ask to a level that it makes sense for a team?

I don't think it's a question of what he's worth (because that's all relative), but a question of what he could have asked for.

Did he take a hometown discount at the time?  Absolutely.  

Could he have negotiated for more?  Absolutely.

But the REAL question is:   Are these kinds of comments going to help him get a new contract that he's happy with?

doubtfull

Glencross was a third liner with a NMC. He wanted to keep himself in Calgary so he took some money off to do it. As a result he got top 6 time and got to stay close to home for a majority of his contract. Without it he would probably have been traded when Iginla was.

I hate to see him complaining like this. It isn't that Hartley disliked him. He got the ice time he earned relative to the players on the team. It wasn't that he was new in Washington, he just didn't play well enough to get more ice time. It isn't (just) the salary cap staying low. He is a big injury risk and his numbers are declining (plus he wasn't good in Washington.)

I hate to see him complaining like this. It isn't that Hartley disliked him. 

Same here.  He was actually one of my favourites until his last year here.  Does he have a point? It's debatable.  I would argue yes, but fail to see the point in bringing it up now.

A never-quit work horse, there was a time that he actually embodied everything that the Flames have become known for now.  At a time, when they were definitely not known for that as a whole.

Ultimately, we can all imagine that it is difficult for a professional athlete to see their body and performance decline on them, when it has defined them for so long.

Glencross needs to remember that he was also defined by his class, and his work ethic.   He has a few good NHL years left, but at some point, those are the traits that will define him in the next phase of his life.   Hopefully these comments were just a one-off to an otherwise very class record.

He could've got $1-mil more per season for four seasons based on his last contract year.  He had good numbers, was considered gritty, solid two-way player, good PK guy, young, fast, etc.  He probably could've came in around the $4-mil-per range if he tried... and it probably wouldn't have come from the Flames who were up against the cap.  But someone surely would've been interested.

Fast forward to today, yea he left money on the table and he can't get a contract he's happy with.  I'm guessing he's getting some low ball offers in the $1-mil range.  Prove me contract, take it or leave it.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda......In regretting leaving money on the table is equivalent to I regret showing loyalty to the Flames and their fans. Sour grapes if you ask me. Like others here I am disappointed that he would come out and say these things. I liked Glencross but this has tarnished my opinion of him.

I think the biggest part of the problem is the media.  In the past 4 years, how many times have we heard on tv or radio that Glencross left money on the table?  Countless times.  When you hear it all the time you start believing it.  The fact is Glencross and Flames sat down and negotiated a deal that worked for both sides at the time, and they both honoured that deal.  Last week unfortunately the money issue was thrown in his face again by another member of the media.  In hindsight Glencross should have said no comment.  Now the media is doing the same thing with Brodie, how do you think Brodie feels when he hears the media always talking about how much money he may have left on the table?

I love Glencross, met him in person and I know he loved Calgary. It easy to be pessmisstic when you remain unsigned after being traded to a contender and not being re-signed. Glencross was signed to a show me contact at a discount for sure but it was on the basis he would continue to trend up-wards which he did not.

He should have been at the 25 goal mark consistently and had the abilities to do so, he unperformed and was nagged by injuries. He will get signed...but on another show me contract. He does not regret his time in Calgary, he regrets not getting MAX dollars with a random team as a UFA.

I greatly value his prior contributions to the Flames on a hockey basis from I will never feel a shred of empathy for a player who (thinks he) left money on the table.

He made more in 1 year than I now ever hope to save for my retirement.

GlenX will have 20-30 years after his hockey career to make up the shortcomings.

NHL minimum wage = $575,000 for 2015/16

AB minimum wage = ~$23,500 after Oct 1st ($11.20/hr)

I cant stand when players say crap like this.

I may be wrong on this but didn't he take less to get a NMC to make sure he stayed in Calgary because he was a new father and starting a family at the time?

As pyro stated above, he ll make more in a year then I will make in my retirement after working a lifetime. Cry me a river X, I don't feel bad for you!

I don't think the object here is to feel bad for him, nor do i get the sense he is trying to say that. I think he is just simply saying that now he realizes this is a business and he made a bad business deal, which he probably did. he probably though that when he did the 4 year deal at the "hometown discount" that at 32 eithre the Flames or some other NHL team would reward that "loyalty" and he would cash in one more time. Problem is, the league is changing and i think players that are north of 30 and not core playres are getting the squeeze when it comes to bigger money deals. Glencross missed his payday and now he knows it.

At the time, i estimate Glencross probably took around 500K -750K less / year to stay with the Flames. it was absolutely his call so no one should feel bad for him, but i get where he would be a little chocked. Leaving 2 million, or in other words 20%, of your market value would lead any of us to be a bit choked at ourselves.

He applauded the city and organization, the fans, and all he is saying is it's tough to see where he's at now in relation to then. He'd have a bit more security financially if not for the discount.

I think he has a point. But you never know how things turn out. When you're young you think you're invincible and sometimes injuries slow you down. I think that's the case with him. He didn't see the injuries to slow his play and pace.

• 2 weeks later...

At this point not surprised to see its only a PTO. Its all the cap, there are just too few teams with money avaialble especialy playoff teams. I'm thinking Glencross is asking for at least 1.5 to 2 on a 1 year deal and I just don't see a playoff bound team that can A- give him that and B-has a need.  At this point he is better of to build his value with a team that can probably give him a top 6 role rather then a team that could easily bury him.

At this point not surprised to see its only a PTO. Its all the cap, there are just too few teams with money avaialble especialy playoff teams. I'm thinking Glencross is asking for at least 1.5 to 2 on a 1 year deal and I just don't see a playoff bound team that can A- give him that and B-has a need.  At this point he is better of to build his value with a team that can probably give him a top 6 role rather then a team that could easily bury him.

I'm guessing TML will sign most of the 3 announced they have on PTOs to cheap 1 year deals in hopes of moving them for picks @ the deadline.

The players will go for it to stay on the radar & hope they can impress a playoff team enough to trade for them & re-sign them if they can prove their worth.

I'm guessing TML will sign most of the 3 announced they have on PTOs to cheap 1 year deals in hopes of moving them for picks @ the deadline.

The players will go for it to stay on the radar & hope they can impress a playoff team enough to trade for them & re-sign them if they can prove their worth.

Agreed and thats why I would argue its actually better for Glencross to sign with a team like the Leafs then a contender. He woudln't get much of a change to rebuild his value bouncing between the 3/4 lines on say Detroit or something. He legitimately could see top line minutes with the Leafs if he plays more like he did at times in Calgary.

Agreed and thats why I would argue its actually better for Glencross to sign with a team like the Leafs then a contender. He woudln't get much of a change to rebuild his value bouncing between the 3/4 lines on say Detroit or something. He legitimately could see top line minutes with the Leafs if he plays more like he did at times in Calgary.

A year ago I wouldn't agree. But Glencross should have a really good year under Babcock I think. His type of player.

• 3 weeks later...

TORONTO - First-round draft pick Mitch Marner was reassigned to the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League by the

Toronto Maple Leafs on Sunday.

The 18-year-old Marner was drafted fourth overall on June 26.

Toronto's current training camp roster includes a total of 23 forwards, 15 defencemen and four goaltenders.

Veteran forwards Curtis Glencross and Devin Setoguchi were released from their professional try-out contracts.

Goaltender Rob Madore was reassigned to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.

Well that experiment didn't last long. Good luck to them both.

Archived