VAN acquires Brandon Sutter from PIT

Kulstad

Backlund, Frolik, Bonino, and Sutter are all similar players. Except Sutter puts up the lowest numbers of the bunch but makes more money then everyone but Frolik. We got Frolik for nothing. Vancouver gave up Bonino and a premium for Sutter.

The one year deals and deals like Bieksa and Kesler speak to a rebuild. But giving up assets to swap for the more expensive tweener, trading their younger goalie, giving up Kassian and futures for Prust, etc speaks to a team giving up the future to win now.

Vancouver fans should be concerned the similarities to Calgary's road under Sutter are obvious.

I wish I could find the article again that I read this morning. Basically it said Benning was looking at the Sutter deal as a transition move for when the Sedins finally do retire. He actually thinks this will help eventually offset their loss of those two players. I'm going to continue scouring the web to find it so that I can share it. In my opinion Benning is completely out of touch with what his club needs. Personally I'm fine with that because whatever keeps them below us in the standings is alright with me.

Edit: Found it

I wish I could find the article again that I read this morning. Basically it said Benning was looking at the Sutter deal as a transition move for when the Sedins finally do retire. He actually thinks this will help eventually offset their loss of those two players. I'm going to continue scouring the web to find it so that I can share it. In my opinion Benning is completely out of touch with what his club needs. Personally I'm fine with that because whatever keeps them below us in the standings is alright with me.

I almost thought this was satire when I first read the article lol

I guess that a 3C is better than nothing at all.  Losing the Sedins will drop their payroll by $14m, so maybe they need the high cap hit to reach the floor.

On an related note, Weisbrod is now the AGM.  He should be able to put a good word in for Sven.

i think there is a bit of an overaction to that article. i read that article and i thought it made perfect sense. he never said tht Sutter is going to replace the Sedins just that Sutter gives them solid depth to help offset the loss of the Sedins becuase they'll still have good center depth they'll just lose that number one center. he even admits in the article the Sedins are going to be very tough to replace but without center depth you simply can't compete in the NHL. I think they overpaid for him yes, but if you put that aside Brandon sutter is a real nice NHL center who can provide a bit of offensive pop while basiclaly shutting down the opposition. That does help you as you have to transition out of having the Sedins there.

Now does he help you more than Bonino would have or enough to warrant what you gave up and what you are paying? not IMO. but I think the logic in the article is sound. if you can't get that high end center, you better have some pretty good depth or you're going to be in a lot of trouble.

i think there is a bit of an overaction to that article. i read that article and i thought it made perfect sense. he never said tht Sutter is going to replace the Sedins just that Sutter gives them solid depth to help offset the loss of the Sedins becuase they'll still have good center depth they'll just lose that number one center. he even admits in the article the Sedins are going to be very tough to replace but without center depth you simply can't compete in the NHL. I think they overpaid for him yes, but if you put that aside Brandon sutter is a real nice NHL center who can provide a bit of offensive pop while basiclaly shutting down the opposition. That does help you as you have to transition out of having the Sedins there.

Now does he help you more than Bonino would have or enough to warrant what you gave up and what you are paying? not IMO. but I think the logic in the article is sound. if you can't get that high end center, you better have some pretty good depth or you're going to be in a lot of trouble.

Your bottom paragraph is the issue imo. It isn't that Sutter is a bad player. It's that he is a similar player to Bonino but he gets paid more and they gave up assets to make the swap. Combine that with the Lack and Prust deals and their strategy is a bit of a head scratcher.

I get that they plan on rebuilding on the fly. Which I think is fine. Especially when you look at Horvat, Virtanen, and some of the other prospects they have brought on combined with their success last season. But now they are bleeding futures to rebuild on the fly and that is where I would have big concerns if I am a Vancouver fan.

Archived