VAN acquires Brandon Sutter from PIT

Kulstad

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-trade-nick-bonino-adam-clendening-to-penguins-for-brandon-sutter/

To VAN:

• Brandon Sutter
  • 2016 3rd-round pick

To PIT:

• Nick Bonino
  • Adam Clendening
  • 2016 2nd-round pick

And then he laughed, Har Har.

Pitts fans are rejoicing the move, since he never made up for the loss of Staal.  Many analysts consider him to be a soft player, and not providing scoring to make up for it.  Hard to imagine a Sutter playing soft, but oh well.

Brandon Sutter was never the same again since his head met Doug Weight's elbow.  I feel bad for him because he was a young up and coming prospect playing so well with so much promise.  He showed an offensive touch to go along with work ethic and hockey smarts.  Unlike his dad and uncles, he actually was projected to be a flashy offensive star.  That was all taken away from him so early.

Nick Bonino is clearly the best player in this trade.  Why the Canucks want Sutter is beyond me.  That and they give up Clendening + 2nd round pick for a 3rd round pick. 

THN has an article trying to make sense of Vancouver's moves of the last 2 years. They're as puzzled as everyone else.

All I can say is TG we didn't try to hire Benning.  Total basket case.  He wants to ink Sutter to an extension without even having play a single game.  They have less than $2m cap space, have olny 12 forwards on the roster, and they haven't even signed Baertschi. Their top forwards are all 34 years old.

Yikes.

This is a very odd move.  It's hard to understand what direction Vancouver is heading. 

It's a little convoluted, but I think the 3rd round pick they got is actually their own pick. 

If I was a Canucks fan, I'd be pretty distressed right now.  I think it's time to mosey on over to the Canucks forum to check the temperature.

Bad trade. I think Bonino is a better player then Sutter. Plus he gets paid less. Plus Vancouver gave up assets to make the deal.

Clearly Benning doesn't agree with my assessment on Bonino. They have to really like Sutter for this trade to make sense.

Bonino went cold a few times and the media in Van were hard on him for a bit. They talked about him continually getting 2nd line C given to him throughout the year and not earning it after such a long cold streaks. They questioned the coach just as much as the player. They thought Horvat shouldve got the chance after his game rounded into form.

TRADE!

Always fun to see one these come by to break up the summer.

Bonino, Clendening, Ana's 2nd

for

Sutter, 3rd conditional (They own Van's 3rd already, so the condition is which ever pick is better goes back to Van: Van's 3rd or Pit's 3rd)

So... this is an interesting one.

For the Pens, it's cap relief, and an upgraded draft pick

For the Canucks its an upgrade in speed, and a better roster fit long term (pending resigning)

The deal is only a good one if Sutter extends, which Benning says is the plan over the next couple of days.

The Pens just acquired our 2 slowest players..

Their D situation is interesting... as they have 9 Dmen now... only 2 are waiver eligible. But those 2 are Maatta and Pouliot : so you know they're unlikely to be sent down...

The others that are waiver eligible::  Letang, Scuderi, Cole, Erixon (remember him), Dumoulin, Lovejoy, Clendening

(their fans are hoping Scuderi is gone next)

So either a trade is coming, or they'll try to sneak Clendening down on waivers during camp or pre-season. (he does have a 2-way)

Bonino should be a good fit in Pit... He's got some nice hands and skill... just doesn't show up in the tougher games... but the East could be good for him for the next season or two as the teams there are still slightly less grinding than the west....

Done a bunch of reading on Sutter now from Pens fans...

It's pretty basic..

Smart, positional player, great with his stick, good gap control...

Won't standout physically, and may not win more board battles than he loses, but teams are in tough to score vs his positioning, speed and smarts..
Not a playmaker so is offensively disappointing in terms of points for center receiving the time time receives, but does go stretches where he teases you that he can be more than a 3C with his goal scoring ability and using his speed as an asset...

This move gives the Canucks more roster flexibility when it comes to deploying Horvat...  He'll be able to get some more opportunity in an offensive role (if he earns it) with Sutter as a solid plug in a 3rd line role. 

Likely would of been harder pressed to find those same opportunities prior because of the coach's hesitation to move Bonino into a defensively heavier 3rd line role... 

I think I'm more comfortable running Sedin-Horvat-Sutter than Sedin-Horvat-Bonino...  Can't wait to see first hand in the fall tho..

Clendening (IMO) became expendable after Weber took off at the end of last season and then was re-signed.   I don't think Weber was in the plans at the time of Clendening's acquisition last yr (nor should he of been)... but  he stepped up great at the end of the season while Clendening drew the ire of Utica fans for uninspired play during the Calder Cup Finals run.  So a combo effect of both i think sent him packing.  Benning also added that it wasn't ideal to carry two young Dmen in the pressbox. Corrado being the other.

So the team now...

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Higgins-Sutter-Dorsett

Prust-Vey-Hansen / Kenins /// Virtanen to get a audition if he shows well at camp.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Weber

Sbisa-Bartkowski/Corrado 

Very puzzled but what Benning has done in Vancouver so far and they are really starting to remind me of the flmaes under Sutter. Giving away 2nd round picks like candy, signing playres past their prime for not very good contracts (Ryan Miller) and refusing to believe your core isn't good enoug and is getting older.

I get sutter is faster and much better defensivly then Bonino but for the different in price i'd rather just work with Bonino. Not to mention i herad today that Suter and the Nucks are close in talks on a long term deal for 4.4 mill? that is a ton of coin for a guy who is not a 2nd line center. Sedin-Horvat - Sutter is actually pretty good center depth and you can tell Benning is trying to build the Nucks like the Bruins are buit but so far not too good IMO.

Very puzzled but what Benning has done in Vancouver so far and they are really starting to remind me of the flmaes under Sutter. Giving away 2nd round picks like candy, signing playres past their prime for not very good contracts (Ryan Miller) and refusing to believe your core isn't good enoug and is getting older.

I get sutter is faster and much better defensivly then Bonino but for the different in price i'd rather just work with Bonino. Not to mention i herad today that Suter and the Nucks are close in talks on a long term deal for 4.4 mill? that is a ton of coin for a guy who is not a 2nd line center. Sedin-Horvat - Sutter is actually pretty good center depth and you can tell Benning is trying to build the Nucks like the Bruins are buit but so far not too good IMO.

Indeed. If you look at any one move it is defensible (although that is a stretch for some of them). But when put together it is pretty clear he slapping his hands and feet down while slipping down the slide. It will take them longer to get to the bottom but they will get there. And when they do they won't have the energy to climb back up the ladder. I hope they enjoy the time on the bench catching their breath.

I think it's speaks to the value of Backlunds contract.

Agreed. bouma and Sutter are not in the same discussion becuase they play two very different roles, one has 1 good year and the other has multiple solid NHL seasons. i do think however, Backlund and Sutter are in similar discussions, other then health, so I do think it shows the Flames got a solid deal on Backs deal.

Archived