2015 Development Camp

Kanzig is a guy I have never been able to get behind. Mobility is such an important part of the game and he has always projected as an Engelland / Smid type. Plus, even Engelland and Smid were able to produce at least a few points in the Junior / early pro careers. It is very rare that an NHL level player isn't able to produce in junior. It isn't so much a sign that they won't be point producers at the NHL level (we know that about them anyway). It's that they are usually on the ice alot and are a step above the other players that they out up at least some points.

That said, Kanzig took some big steps forward last season so I am warming up to him a tad. I still think he is a long shot. Plus I don't like the type of player he projects to be even if he makes it. But he has shown a lot of progression and that's important.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kanzig is a guy I have never been able to get behind. Mobility is such an important part of the game and he has always projected as an Engelland / Smid type. Plus, even Engelland and Smid were able to produce at least a few points in the Junior / early pro careers. It is very rare that an NHL level player isn't able to produce in junior. It isn't so much a sign that they won't be point producers at the NHL level (we know that about them anyway). It's that they are usually on the ice alot and are a step above the other players that they out up at least some points.

That said, Kanzig took some big steps forward last season so I am warming up to him a tad. I still think he is a long shot. Plus I don't like the type of player he projects to be even if he makes it. But he has shown a lot of progression and that's important.

Kanzig would of been a great fit in 04 but the speed of the game and moving away from the clutch and grab era has left these pylons in the dark. Theirs no place for anyone that cant skate and that is only going to increase as smaller more skilled players break in and establish a larger role in the league. 

Kanzig would of been a great fit in 04 but the speed of the game and moving away from the clutch and grab era has left these pylons in the dark. Theirs no place for anyone that cant skate and that is only going to increase as smaller more skilled players break in and establish a larger role in the league. 

He was a reach where he was drafted, excuse the pun.  Skating is going to be a challenge for such a monster.  It's not so much top speed, as his strides can be longer, as it is edges and acceleration.  Big guys are going to be best at straight line speed.  If he can learn the finer points of skating, he can overcome his obstacles.

Being on Vancouver Island I don't get very much info so the forms and what ever I can find on the WWeb is my means so I have been reading from a sight called from 80 feet and above. This guy is very informative but I'm sure most of you have been there but this was a good 1

http://flamesfrom80feet.blogspot.ca/2015/07/eight-from-80-feet-eight-thoughts-on.html

Being on Vancouver Island I don't get very much info so the forms and what ever I can find on the WWeb is my means so I have been reading from a sight called from 80 feet and above. This guy is very informative but I'm sure most of you have been there but this was a good 1

http://flamesfrom80feet.blogspot.ca/2015/07/eight-from-80-feet-eight-thoughts-on.html

That was a good read, thanks for sharing.

I found the bit about Brandon Hawkins, really interesting. Only started playing competitive hockey at 17, now 21 he put up 30 points in 39 games in his first NCAA season. Definite late bloomer possibility, might be worth keeping an eye in him down the road.

One guy I didn't really hear much about was Ollas Mattsson. Love the size, and I really like the way Sweden develops defensemen. I wonder if he will make his way across the pond anytime soon.

Well I am glad at least that Kehatch is slightly warming to Kanzig's huge improvements over the past couple of years, even though you remain derogatory and dismissive. For a guy that doesn't score it's amazing KK is and has been one of his team's top +/- players and has remained a rock on defence. It's also surprising that you didn't notice he was the best D man in his group in skating start/stop and edge drills this past week, perhaps because once you write someone off its easy to just ignore them and what is really happening. It's also surprising you two failed to notice how the ultimate skater/"new hockey" darling McDavid was shut down in the pre-Memorial Cup by a couple "pylons"- your description, not mine.... Including our own Hunter Smith. Wow, an impossible task and accomplished by a couple guys that have "no place" in the league......

Perhaps you should rethink your thoughts... KK is coming along just fine. Hope it continues this year in the AHL.

Well I am glad at least that Kehatch is slightly warming to Kanzig's huge improvements over the past couple of years, even though you remain derogatory and dismissive. For a guy that doesn't score it's amazing KK is and has been one of his team's top +/- players and has remained a rock on defence. It's also surprising that you didn't notice he was the best D man in his group in skating start/stop and edge drills this past week, perhaps because once you write someone off its easy to just ignore them and what is really happening. It's also surprising you two failed to notice how the ultimate skater/"new hockey" darling McDavid was shut down in the pre-Memorial Cup by a couple "pylons"- your description, not mine.... Including our own Hunter Smith. Wow, an impossible task and accomplished by a couple guys that have "no place" in the league......

Perhaps you should rethink your thoughts... KK is coming along just fine. Hope it continues this year in the AHL.

There weren't any derogatory comments in Trippin's or my post. Not everyone is going to like every prospect.  That's why there is entertaining discussion.  

I've liked Kanzig as a prospect. Maybe we could have tried for him in a later round (not sure where he was projected to go, so not sure if the third round was reasonable). But, since we've drafted him he has shown a LOT of improvement, and he is doing what he can to make sure he makes the  team and improves as a player. Can't really ask for much more than that. So far, he does look better than Breen did, so that is a huge plus. And I don't think anyone expects him to be a top 4, let alone top 2 d-man. What we can hope for is a third pairing d-man who provides grit and toughness, defensively responsible and will clear the crease/protect his teammates for 15 minutes a game. The few times I've seen him live, he has a good first pass and I was surprised he doesn't have more points because of it, but he isn't ever going to be a point producer. I figure about as many points (maybe a few more) than Engelland or Smid have done for us in a year.

Pylon

a marking post or tower for guiding aviators, frequently used in races.
a relatively tall structure at the side of a gate, bridge, or avenue,marking an entrance or approach.
a monumental tower forming the entrance to an ancient Egyptian temple, consisting either of a pair of tall quadrilateral masonry masses with sloping sides and a doorway between them or of one such masspierced with a doorway.
a steel tower or mast carrying high-tension lines, telephone wires, or other cables and lines.

Id say its a good word to describe Kanzig lol.

I have nothing against this kid, Id love to have someone of his size on our back-end but he needs to up his skating game by a large margin and his development curve has been slow going. So you can take it as "dismissive" or "derogatory" if you please but Id say Im just being a realist.

I think we have been spoiled as far as our prospects have gone, now it seems like some people believe every kid in our system will one day make the team. After the last couple of drafts and off seasons, Id say Kanzig has been buried on the depth chart and his odds of making the team have significantly decreased.

Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings or slighted anyone but I thought this was hockey... Not baseball!

Pylon

a marking post or tower for guiding aviators, frequently used in races.

a relatively tall structure at the side of a gate, bridge, or avenue,marking an entrance or approach.

a monumental tower forming the entrance to an ancient Egyptian temple, consisting either of a pair of tall quadrilateral masonry masses with sloping sides and a doorway between them or of one such masspierced with a doorway.

4.[/size]

a steel tower or mast carrying high-tension lines, telephone wires, or other cables and lines.

Id say its a good word to describe Kanzig lol.

I have nothing against this kid, Id love to have someone of his size on our back-end but he needs to up his skating game by a large margin and his development curve has been slow going. So you can take it as "dismissive" or "derogatory" if you please but Id say Im just being a realist.

I think we have been spoiled as far as our prospects have gone, now it seems like some people believe every kid in our system will one day make the team. After the last couple of drafts and off seasons, Id say Kanzig has been buried on the depth chart and his odds of making the team have significantly decreased.

Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings or slighted anyone but I thought this was hockey... Not baseball!

That comment is more like it. An opinion, an explanation. Openess to other views... As for Kanzig, I would also love to see him on our back-end someday. As for the two years since being drafted, his skating has improved significantly to now being not bad at all, he brings a lot of strength and toughness and D to the back-end and he's right in line with the normal NHL defence men development.

If Engelland/Smid were gone (and maybe even with them there) I'd say Kanzig is in the small group of D men ready to take the next step(Wotherspoon, Culkin) but at the same time offering unique talents none of the others do.

That comment is more like it. An opinion, an explanation. Openess to other views... As for Kanzig, I would also love to see him on our back-end someday. As for the two years since being drafted, his skating has improved significantly to now being not bad at all, he brings a lot of strength and toughness and D to the back-end and he's right in line with the normal NHL defence men development.

If Engelland/Smid were gone (and maybe even with them there) I'd say Kanzig is in the small group of D men ready to take the next step(Wotherspoon, Culkin) but at the same time offering unique talents none of the others do.

Given that hes a hulking giant of a boy, I dont think Jr is where we are going to get a proper read on a kid like this, many players his size have been able to impose there will on smaller, younger players only to be exposed when making the jump to pro hockey. I think because of his size some may expect that he will be NHL ready sooner then latter but if Kanzig is going to any kind of pro, his first year with the Heat will tell us allot.

I still think he is a project and a one trick pony with zero offensive upside. Dmen in todays game cant afford to play on one side of the ice, they need to be defensively responsible and able to jump up in the play, at the very least capable of moving the puck forward and retaining possession. Gone are the days when you could take 2 hard nosed guys, let them just stand in front of the net and kick the snot out of anyone who comes close.

Given that hes a hulking giant of a boy, I dont think Jr is where we are going to get a proper read on a kid like this, many players his size have been able to impose there will on smaller, younger players only to be exposed when making the jump to pro hockey. I think because of his size some may expect that he will be NHL ready sooner then latter but if Kanzig is going to any kind of pro, his first year with the Heat will tell us allot.

I still think he is a project and a one trick pony with zero offensive upside. Dmen in todays game cant afford to play on one side of the ice, they need to be defensively responsible and able to jump up in the play, at the very least capable of moving the puck forward and retaining possession. Gone are the days when you could take 2 hard nosed guys, let them just stand in front of the net and kick the snot out of anyone who comes close.

That's the thing though. He is a bit more versatile then stay at home (though that is his bread and butter). He has some (limited) experience on the RW, and when there he creates some havoc in front of the net (if we have a good defensive forward out there, he could hop in the play and still do that on a shift where he is playing D). And in my limited viewings of him, he has a pretty good first pass (which did make me wonder how he didn't have some more points then what his junior numbers show). His skating has improved and he is good positionally (which does take some hockey IQ) so when it comes to AHL time (likely this year) we will see some bumps but I don't think he'll struggle as much as people think (though I doubt he suddenly finds a greater offensive touch)

I will say this about Kanzig, at least people talk about him. I would rather be a polarizing prospect then the guy nobody talks about. Leach, Howse, Negrin... All Flames third rounders that generated very little discussion.

Of course Hickey, Bouma, and Gilles are also third rounders of the Flames. Kanzig may not have that level of promise (yet) but at least he shows enough to get people excited.

I will say this about Kanzig, at least people talk about him. I would rather be a polarizing prospect then the guy nobody talks about. Leach, Howse, Negrin... All Flames third rounders that generated very little discussion.

Of course Hickey, Bouma, and Gilles are also third rounders of the Flames. Kanzig may not have that level of promise (yet) but at least he shows enough to get people excited.

Having 2 or more prospects from each draft make it to the NHL is a good draft. 

2010 - Ferland and Arnold look to both be NHL'ers

2011 - Sven, Granlund, Wotherspoon (possible), Johnny Hockey

2012 - Gillies and Culkin seem like good bets, and Janko is a 50/50 at this point

2013 - Mony....Poirier, Klimchuk, Rafikov and Gilmour remain good bets

2014 - Bennett... McDonald and Hickey are good bets, AOS looks to be developing well, and Smith could make it

2015 - Too early to call, but Andersson, Kylington and Mangiapane look to be good prospects

I'm really looking forward to Stockton this year. Hopefully they will have Kanzig, Klimchuck, Smith, Carroll and dare I say Andersson/Kylington as newbies, as well as Agostino, Wolf, Hathaway, Arnold and a few others percolating. It'll be very interesting. And that's assuming/hoping that Poirier, Granlund, Wotherspoon, Morrison, Nakladal and Ferland make the jump and the big team.

Of course that's not happening unless a bunch of guys get traded or are not re-signed. Waiting on the next news.....

I'm really looking forward to Stockton this year. Hopefully they will have Kanzig, Klimchuck, Smith, Carroll and dare I say Andersson/Kylington as newbies, as well as Agostino, Wolf, Hathaway, Arnold and a few others percolating. It'll be very interesting. And that's assuming/hoping that Poirier, Granlund, Wotherspoon, Morrison, Nakladal and Ferland make the jump and the big team.

Of course that's not happening unless a bunch of guys get traded or are not re-signed. Waiting on the next news.....

Rasmus Andersson isn't available to play in the AHL this year as he was drafted out of the OHL. Ideally Kylington plays in Brandon next year, if that doesn't happen then I think playing in Sweden is better than playing in the AHL. Let's him focus on development without the pressure and the expectation of being called up.

Rasmus Andersson isn't available to play in the AHL this year as he was drafted out of the OHL. Ideally Kylington plays in Brandon next year, if that doesn't happen then I think playing in Sweden is better than playing in the AHL. Let's him focus on development without the pressure and the expectation of being called up.

We have so much time with these guys, it isn't even funny.  We have many guys ahead of them in age and development, and will be struggling to find homes for them.  Kulak was forced into the ECHL last season.  We have a few new guys this season that may or may not get the call to the NHL; Morrison and Nakladal.  We still have Seiloff and Culkin.  We could be adding Kanzig this season.

Who knows about AOM and when he comes over.

Unlike the forward ranks, we will be lucky if one D-man makes the NHL full-time this year. 

• 1 month later...

We have so much time with these guys, it isn't even funny.  We have many guys ahead of them in age and development, and will be struggling to find homes for them.  Kulak was forced into the ECHL last season.  We have a few new guys this season that may or may not get the call to the NHL; Morrison and Nakladal.  We still have Seiloff and Culkin.  We could be adding Kanzig this season.

Who knows about AOM and when he comes over.

Unlike the forward ranks, we will be lucky if one D-man makes the NHL full-time this year. 

Who is AOM?

Archived