2015 Development Camp

Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) tweeted at 11:50 AM on Tue, Jul 07, 2015:

.@PatSieloff is spending his summer in #yyc, working with #Flames @RyanVanAsten and prepping for next season.

I really like hearing about young players spending their offseasons in Calgary looking to improve.

It would be nice if Kanzig did the same.  His body fat is not (at least it wasn't) an issue, so I would like him to concentrate on speed and defensive positioning.

Looking at some of our prospects, man it looks like we have some monsters!!  Mattsson and Andersson look to be in pretty good shape and are built like turrets.  Smith and Kanzig are huge.  Hope there isn't a beef shortage in Alberta this summer. :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice if Kanzig did the same.  His body fat is not (at least it wasn't) an issue, so I would like him to concentrate on speed and defensive positioning.

Looking at some of our prospects, man it looks like we have some monsters!!  Mattsson and Andersson look to be in pretty good shape and are built like turrets.  Smith and Kanzig are huge.  Hope there isn't a beef shortage in Alberta this summer. :)

I was at the morning session at the development camp and Smith and Kanzig both still need to work on their skating.  (That said, they've improved since last year's camp)

I thought the two most notable d-men in the session were Hickey and Nakadl.  Both seemed to be solid in all respects. 

I was at the morning session at the development camp and Smith and Kanzig both still need to work on their skating.  (That said, they've improved since last year's camp)

I thought the two most notable d-men in the session were Hickey and Nakadl.  Both seemed to be solid in all respects. 

I actually expected Hickey to be near the top.  I am happy to hear that Nakadl is as well.  I have high hopes for him and Morrison this year.

Hoping to catch the scrimmage on Thursday. Would be great to see some solid D prospects that don't let somone walk around them and score five times ala Connor McDavid in E-Towns scrimmage the other day.

Flames prospects I am interested to see include;
Some of this year's picks. Kylington, Mangiapane, Andersson.
Intrigued to see how much H. Smiths and Kanzig's skating has progressed.
Hickey and Ollas-Mattsson.
Also very interested to see Jankowski and Klimchuk as both looked like they had plateued at points last season, but really took off near the end of the season, especially Mark in the Frozen Four.

Invites;
Jason Fram is back, was pretty impressed with him last dev. camp and was slightly surprised when he wasn't offered a contract.
Louick Marcotte
Tyson Baillie
Nakladal and Morrison.

I actually expected Hickey to be near the top.  I am happy to hear that Nakadl is as well.  I have high hopes for him and Morrison this year.

Hickey would have my vote as the best of the d-men in that session.  I liked Nakadl because he seemed quite physical in the drill where he had to trap his man along the boards.

On the flip side of that, I expected more from Fram.  The only times he caught my attention were when he was getting beat.  And, Riley Bruce has a long way to go with his skating.

Hickey would have my vote as the best of the d-men in that session.  I liked Nakadl because he seemed quite physical in the drill where he had to trap his man along the boards.

On the flip side of that, I expected more from Fram.  The only times he caught my attention were when he was getting beat.  And, Riley Bruce has a long way to go with his skating.

Sounds eerily similar to the Kanzig pick.

Hoping to catch the scrimmage on Thursday. Would be great to see some solid D prospects that don't let somone walk around them and score five times ala Connor McDavid in E-Towns scrimmage the other day.

Flames prospects I am interested to see include;

Some of this year's picks. Kylington, Mangiapane, Andersson.

Intrigued to see how much H. Smiths and Kanzig's skating has progressed.

Hickey and Ollas-Mattsson.

Also very interested to see Jankowski and Klimchuk as both looked like they had plateued at points last season, but really took off near the end of the season, especially Mark in the Frozen Four.

Invites;

Jason Fram is back, was pretty impressed with him last dev. camp and was slightly surprised when he wasn't offered a contract.

Louick Marcotte

Tyson Baillie

Nakladal and Morrison.

Mangiapane showed well.  The obvious knock on him is he's considerably smaller than the rest.  He has great wheels though. 

Andersson is good with the puck.  His defensive skills didn't really standout for me.

Klimchuk was an eye-opener for me.  Very good hands.  He got paired with Bennett on some two-on-one drills, and they were both pretty slick.  Klimchuk has some real offensive flair for a guy who plays a two-way game. 

Smith and Kanzig have improved their skating, but neither are equipped for the NHL yet.  Maybe not the AHL either. 

Mangiapane showed well.  The obvious knock on him is he's considerably smaller than the rest.  He has great wheels though. 

Andersson is good with the puck.  His defensive skills didn't really standout for me.

Klimchuk was an eye-opener for me.  Very good hands.  He got paired with Bennett on some two-on-one drills, and they were both pretty slick.  Klimchuk has some real offensive flair for a guy who plays a two-way game. 

Smith and Kanzig have improved their skating, but neither are equipped for the NHL yet.  Maybe not the AHL either. 

Good to hear on Klimchuk. Have liked him since his early junior days and always thought he was slightly underrated on the O-side.

Did Kylington stand out at all? Have yet to see him play, other than highlight vids. From what I hear he is already one of the best (if not the best) skater in his draft-class.

Sounds eerily similar to the Kanzig pick.

I was being VERY kind when I said he has a long way to go with his skating.

They did a one-on-one drill where the d-man had to start skating backward from a dead stop and keep the on-coming forward to the outside and away from the net.   I felt like the drill exposed some skating weaknesses in a few of the d-men.

Good to hear on Klimchuk. Have liked him since his early junior days and always thought he was slightly underrated on the O-side.

Did Kylington stand out at all? Have yet to see him play, other than highlight vids. From what I hear he is already one of the best (if not the best) skater in his draft-class.

I didn't see Kylington as he was in the second session.  So, I didn't see any of the players in group C or D.  (Except for Nakadl.  For some reason, he was in the first group and Poirier wasn't.  Maybe they got swapped)

I was being VERY kind when I said he has a long way to go with his skating.

They did a one-on-one drill where the d-man had to start skating backward from a dead stop and keep the on-coming forward to the outside and away from the net.   I felt like the drill exposed some skating weaknesses in a few of the d-men.

I didn't see Kylington as he was in the second session.  So, I didn't see any of the players in group C or D.  (Except for Nakadl.  For some reason, he was in the first group and Poirier wasn't.  Maybe they got swapped)

Great! Thank for the info StarkRaving.

Perhaps they were swapped to spread out the near-NHL-ready talent, as I believe Poirier and Bennett were in the same group to begin.

Was never really a fan of the Bruce pick, and after this info I see nothing to change my mind. We don't really need another monster kid with skating issues.

Thanks to everyone who has gone to camp and for reporting back first-hand progress on these youngsters. I would have been shocked if anyone said Hunter Smith was an NHL ready skater. He seemed way behind even in Major Jr. Sounds like he's progressing slowly and could be a project growing into his body. Great news on Klimchuk.

Agree Nakladal and Hickey both strong, as well as Morrison.  I thought Kanzig's skating much better than last year, much more fluid and strong, and surprised by Bruce who actually was skating pretty well.

In the reverse skating drills there were only 2-3 guys that made it all the ways backwards without turning and going with the forward, and you wouldn't believe one of them....KK.  In this drill the best forward was Jankowski who just flew by whoever was covering him each time to basically come in on a breakaway.   Kylington was interesting to watch as well.  Two steps and he is flying, and he also utilized his skating more than his body in keep-away/battle drills.  

I thought the drills were actually very, very interesting.  They seemed to focus on specific things the Flames are trying to install in their players and letting the kids know specifically what they need to work on, including the goalies.  There was a focus on transition drills(shot block to attack, 2 on 1) and battle drills.  I also thought it interesting that Ryan Huska and his staff did all the on-ice work while Hartley and his guys watched from the stands.

I also thought it interesting that Ryan Huska and his staff did all the on-ice work while Hartley and his guys watched from the stands.

The development camp has been done by the AHL coaching staff, at least in recent years.  Troy Ward always did the development camp during his tenure.

In the reverse skating drills there were only 2-3 guys that made it all the ways backwards without turning and going with the forward, and you wouldn't believe one of them....KK.  In this drill the best forward was Jankowski who just flew by whoever was covering him each time to basically come in on a breakaway.   Kylington was interesting to watch as well.  Two steps and he is flying, and he also utilized his skating more than his body in keep-away/battle drills.  

So Keegan Kanzig was one of the best in the backwards skating drills? Either we have a LOT of guys that need to work on skating, or Kanzig has improved a lot (I noticed some improvement when I saw him shortly after he got traded to the Hitmen, but that still seems like substantial improvement from then).

Glad to hear Janko looks really good in that kind of drill. I mean realistically the person will turn and chase after, but it's a good sign that he could blow past people who tried to skate backwards on him.

Kylington we knew was a great skater, and from what I've heard didn't have the reputation as being physical (but instead relying on position to keep people to the outside). Good to hear the skating wasn't being over-sold.

From what I've gathered our prospects are looking pretty decent with a few guys noticeable. Also glad to read a lot about how all these guys are helping each other out (Especially Kanzig, who they pointed out  last year was helping Austin Caroll and anyone else who has questions out, and this year taking an active role in helping Karnaukhov out who is a fellow Hitman, but with no other countrymen in the organization to talk too).

So Keegan Kanzig was one of the best in the backwards skating drills? Either we have a LOT of guys that need to work on skating, or Kanzig has improved a lot (I noticed some improvement when I saw him shortly after he got traded to the Hitmen, but that still seems like substantial improvement from then).

Glad to hear Janko looks really good in that kind of drill. I mean realistically the person will turn and chase after, but it's a good sign that he could blow past people who tried to skate backwards on him.

Kylington we knew was a great skater, and from what I've heard didn't have the reputation as being physical (but instead relying on position to keep people to the outside). Good to hear the skating wasn't being over-sold.

From what I've gathered our prospects are looking pretty decent with a few guys noticeable. Also glad to read a lot about how all these guys are helping each other out (Especially Kanzig, who they pointed out  last year was helping Austin Caroll and anyone else who has questions out, and this year taking an active role in helping Karnaukhov out who is a fellow Hitman, but with no other countrymen in the organization to talk too).

I would say Kanzig has improved his skating dramatically, not that he is now fast, mind you.  The backward skating drills can be impressive, but some of it depends on the match-up.  Today's scrimmage will probably be a better indicator for everyone as its in a more natural setting we are used to watching.  

Was Super impressed with our 2015 draft choices today at the scrimmage.

Pavel, Rasmus, Oliver, Andrew  WOW!!!

Pavel is a worker and FAST!!

Rasmus steady get the job done (Gio Like)

Oliver seemed a little shakey at times (like his skates didn't have the right edge)  but he is a top Offensive Defender smart.

Andrew great hands and speed (not afraid to muck it up) (kind of a combo of JG and Fleury)

Bruce a basketball player on skates. uses his body well

Was Super impressed with our 2015 draft choices today at the scrimmage.

Pavel, Rasmus, Oliver, Andrew  WOW!!!

Pavel is a worker and FAST!!

Rasmus steady get the job done (Gio Like)

Oliver seemed a little shakey at times (like his skates didn't have the right edge)  but he is a top Offensive Defender smart.

Andrew great hands and speed (not afraid to muck it up) (kind of a combo of JG and Fleury)

Bruce a basketball player on skates. uses his body well

Yes they all played well and it'll be great to see them after another year.

Watching the videos from today, loving what Rasmus and Andrew were saying about Hunter Smith. Especially Rasmus (who I have really liked watching so far) "He is the worst player to play against. Glad he's on my team here" That says something considering Rasmus has played against full grown men with Malmo in Sweden before coming to North America last year. 

Tyson Baillie must have impressed BT enough.  He has been invited to the prospects camp and Young Stars tournie.  The understanding is that he can be signed by an NHL club up to August 25th.  He could go to the AHL, so he may get signed to an AHL deal.  Free draft pick, basically. 

Kanzig has made great improvement in his skating. I have the advantage of knowing his brother and talk to him on a regular basis. The trade to the Hitmen last year helped him immensely and really boosted his confidence. I still see him as a couple of years away but he is making all the right moves to improve his game. 

Archived