2015 Development Camp

Development camp starts next week. I am looking forward to hearing and seeing about our young prospects.

Adam Ollas Mattsson (@ollasmattsson) tweeted at 11:51 PM on Fri, Jul 03, 2015:

Calgary I"m coming for you ✈

Looks like we will get our first look at Ollas Mattson.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Development camp starts next week. I am looking forward to hearing and seeing about our young prospects.

Adam Ollas Mattsson (@ollasmattsson) tweeted at 11:51 PM on Fri, Jul 03, 2015:

Calgary I"m coming for you ✈

Looks like we will get our first look at Ollas Mattson.

Of our drafted D prospects, he is one of the few I have not seen on skates.  I hope he wanders over here for good sometime in the future.  Shutdown D aren't very sexy, but you need them in your pipeline and lineup.

We actually have a good number of defensemen that could eventually see regular ice time; Kylington, Andersson, Vulkin, Rafikov, Morrison, Nakadl, Nattson, and yes even Kanzig.  Hickey is an exciting prospect too.

Development Camp Schedule:

Monday July 6th: Testing (All Players) 8:00am-3:00pm

Tuesday July 7th: Skill Development (Groups A&B 10:30am, Groups C&D 12:15pm)

Wednesday July 8th: Skill Development (Groups A&B 11:30am, Groups C&D 1:15pm)

Thursday July 9th: Scrimmage (AllPlayers) 9:30am

Friday July 10th: Skills Development (Groups A&B 9:00am, Groups C&D 10:15am)

Everything will take place at Winsport.

(Bold indicates invited player)

Group A: 

Rasmus Andersson LD

Riley Bruce RD

Austin Carroll RW

Garnet Hathaway RW

Mark Jankowski C

Keegan Kanzig LD

Pavel Karnaukhov C

Morgan Klimchuk LW

Louick Marcotte RW

Adam Ollas Mattson LD

Patrick Sieloff LD

Hunter Smith RW

Rylan Toth G

Group B:

Sam Bennett C

Jason Fram RD

Brandon Hickey LD

Jonathan Jutzi LD

Andrew Mangiapane LW

Philippe Myers RD

Emile Poirier RW

Julien Proulx LW

Tomas Soustal C

Jon Gillies G

Group C:

Matt Deblouw C

Chris Dienes LD

Scott Dornbrock LD

Carter Foguth RD

Brandon Hawkins RW

Brett Kulak LD

Ryan Lomberg LW

Jakub Nakladal RD

Sam Studnicka C

Mason McDonald G

Group D:

Tyson Baillie C

Ryan Culkin LD

John Gilmour LD

Oliver Kylington LD

Mason Marchment LW

Kenney Morrison RD

Josh Pitt C

Matt Wilkins LW

Adam Clark G 

Added links to the invited players.

The only thing most of the invited players have in common, size.

I most curious about Tomas Soustal, Brandon Hawkins and Mason Marchment. Soustal is 6'3" and sounds like he can skate, didn't put up many points in Kelowna last year but it was his first in NA and he might have stuck down the depth chart on a very good team. Hawkins is 21 but put up 30 points in 39 games in his rookie NCAA season. Marchment is 6'3" and the son of Bryan Marchment, interesting to see if he has any of his dads mean streak.

Hoping to make most of the sessions.  With the different format its hard to tell how it will be.  I think you'll still get a good sense of the players, and hopefully the scrimmage will be a complete game.  In any case it should be fun to see all the prospects and it'll provide the brass with a locks on the invitees.

Scott Cruickshank (@CruickshankCH) tweeted at 5:20 PM on Sun, Jul 05, 2015:

Prospects D Rushan Rafikov (visa) and RW Tim Harrison (injury) are not participating in #Flames development camp this week.

Disappointing Rafikov won't be there again.

I also noticed that Oleg Yevenko isn't anywhere on the list. Anyone know why that is?

Our D prospect pipeline looks a lot more promising than it did 12-18 mths ago.

I'm not that excited about our forward prospects at the moment. With it a near certainty Bennett graduates to the big club, the only guys that are all that exciting are Poirier and Klimchuk.

I like Hathaway, but he's a bottom 6 guy, and Janko has a lot to prove yet. Maybe somebody like Carrol, Mangiapane or Marcotte will surprise us.

I also noticed that Oleg Yevenko isn't anywhere on the list. Anyone know why that is?

I'm not that excited about our forward prospects at the moment. With it a near certainty Bennett graduates to the big club, the only guys that are all that exciting are Poirier and Klimchuk.

I like Hathaway, but he's a bottom 6 guy, and Janko has a lot to prove yet. Maybe somebody like Carrol, Mangiapane or Marcotte will surprise us.

Somebody mentioned Yevenko signed with another team.  Yes on Rafikov and the D pipeline.

I think we've got some good forward prospects, including Poirier and Klimchuk (a given), Carrol who might surprise, Hathaway (Bouma-type), Smith (2nd-3rd line RW), Wolf (power forward) and best looking of the bunch-Jankowski (great in the Frozen 4, speed and skill).  And that's not mentioning this year's picks, Karnaukov (Klimchuk-type?) and Mangiapane (JH-type, better stats at same year of development).  And yes, I forgot Marcotte.... Arnold, Agostino and VBB.  

I agree there are few "blue chipper" high draft picks in there, but I'm pretty confident there's probably a good half dozen or likely more NHLers...

Oleg Yevenko signed with the Lake Erie Monsters.

http://www.lakeeriemonsters.com/team/news/craig-vogelhuber-ambroz-yevenko-signed-15-16

I have heard two versions of status for Tyson Baillie:

1) He would need to go back into the draft in 2016 to be able to sign any contract

2) He is free to sign a contract

They are both kind of correct. He is free to sign as long as it's in the offseason. He is also eligible to re enter the draft next year if he doesn't get a contract by Sept 15.

They are both kind of correct. He is free to sign as long as it's in the offseason. He is also eligible to re enter the draft next year if he doesn't get a contract by Sept 15.

If that is true, we could sign him and play him in the AHL, as he is old enough.  Perhaps the Johnny Hockey phenomena has clouded my judgement.  But I also would like the Flames to sign Jason Fram, at least to an AHL deal. 

Just watched some of the videos from day 1 of the development camp and I came away impressed with Garnet Hathaway's interview. He seems like a very upbeat guy, who wants to be a leader.

I liked Hathaway a lot at last year's camp. He did most things well but didn't seem to have much finish. Good size and smarts for a bottom 6 W. Another year in the A and he could be a keeper, perhaps spot duty call up this year? Perhaps another Jooris-type find?

Thanks, I missed that.

Disappointing? I thought it was a bit of a coup that Calgary was able to sign 2 of the top 4-6 free agent defensemen coming out of the NCAA.

He made it into 4 games last year, so I am guessing that he didn't impress the coaching and management staff enough to garner another contract.

Gimour is the forgotten Friar.  He may never get signed by the Flames, but he was playing well in a shutdown role on a defensive team.

Must be getting hockey fever a little early this summer. :)

Looking forward to see where some of the new guys are in conditioning and skills: Kylington, Andersson, Mangiapane, Marcotte.

Interested to see if Baillie is not just another junior player.

Hope that these guys are near the tops in skills and conditioning: Bennett, Janko, Smith, Klimchuk, Mattsson, Nakladal (sp?), Morrison

We seem to be very deep with D prospects, any of which could be a diamond in the rough.

Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) tweeted at 11:50 AM on Tue, Jul 07, 2015:

.@PatSieloff is spending his summer in #yyc, working with #Flames @RyanVanAsten and prepping for next season.

I really like hearing about young players spending their offseasons in Calgary looking to improve.

Archived