Phil Kessel to PIT

Kulstad

1st and 3rd in 2016....

Toronto also sent 2nd in 2016 and Bozak and Tim "I want to play for NY" Erixon. 

What a hoot.  :lol:

Looks like it's Tyler Biggs, not Bozak.

But still, Kessel at $6.75-mil-per is easier to stomach than $8-mil-per.

The Flames could've tried something like Poirer + Wotherspoon + 2016 2nd round

Looks like it's Tyler Biggs, not Bozak.

But still, Kessel at $6.75-mil-per is easier to stomach than $8-mil-per.

The Flames could've tried something like Poirer + Wotherspoon + 2016 2nd round

Yes, Biggs it is. 

It would have taken more like Poirier, another former 1st rounder, Wotherspoon + a 1st and 3rd in 2016.

This isn't a horrible trade for either side but I like it more for Pittsburg. Kessel needed to go to a player where he wasn't the focal guy and he could just be part of the team and the Pens are that and on top of that the Pens really didn't give up a high end asset. Harrington is easy for them to move having Poliout, Maata and Doumolin and while Kapanen hurts sure, have Kessel play with either Makin or Crosby is too enticing. The pens basically have no future though so they NEED to win a cup in the next few years for this to work so its a big risk for them to take.

For the Leafs, my reaction is that if this was the best deal why did you move him at all? If this was the best deal they got I personally would have kept him and let Babock coach him for a year. Yes you are rebuilding but a 27 year old Kessel is a piece that could be part of that and still be effectively on the other side, and even if Babcock coaches him and it doesn't go well I don't think Kessel's value would drop. Its a decent deal on paper for the Leafs but its not a slam dunk deal IMO and if that was my best offer I would have kept him.

For the Flames, I've said before I wanted no part of Kessel so I'm glad they weren't involved but once they gave up their first for Hamilton I think it took him out. I don't think the Flames can afford to move two years worth of 1st round picks.

Cross - the reason I like this trade as  Leafs fan is the following:

By moving Kessel:

- We clear a TON of cap room

- We obtained picks and young prospects (Kapanen was 22nd overall last year, and could be great with Nylander in a few years)

- We got Harington for our blue line (the non existent d-core we have now) and he has potential to be a 4-6D man.

- Spaling will be a great bottom 6 for us (maybe 2nd liner for now)

Losing Biggs & Erixon

- No big loss really, Biggs is a bust and Erixon wasn't much better.

2nd rounder

- It's the same 2nd rounder we received from them last year for Daniel Winnik...so we just gave it back.

What did we lose out on?

- Kessel can score a lot of goals... but for every 1 he scores, 2 more go in our net when he's on the ice. (Most likely won't happen in Pittsburgh, but it was a major concern in leafland)

Now I'm not a huge fan of retaining any of Kessel's salary, but it's not like we had a lineup of offers, and retaining 15% or $1.2m isn't that horrible, considering the alternatives.

Does it suck we lost our best scorer? I guess, but this is year 1 of an actual rebuild, and we need guys who will be ready and in their prime in 3-5 years, not 32 years old and on the decline.

I wish Phil the best, and I expect him to crack 40 easily this year, and maybe even hit 50 goals scored. I feel this was a good trade on both sides because the Pens got what they needed - a top 6 forward with offensive ability.

I'm happy with it, regardless of what a lot of Leaf fans will tell you, but we won't know if was a really good trade or not for a few years, whereas Pittsburgh will reap immediate benefits.

Also the first is a conditional pick...

If the Pens don't make the playoffs this year, it goes to a 2017 pick (and our 2nd rounder as well)...

If the Pens don't make the playoffs in either 2016 or 2017, then we get their 2017 2nd round pick, and they don't get one from us.

I think the deal hinges on what you think of Kapanen because personally I'm not a huge fan. I think he tops out as a slightly better then avg 3rd liner forward but if that's wrong and he becomes a top 6 this is a better deal.

Like I said I don't think its a bad deal its just not a deal I would have jumped all over as the Leafs and would have leanded towards keeping Kessel, letting Babcock coach him and then try again next year if they were insisting on moving him. I don't' think his value goes down and it could have gone up. but your right its not a horrible deal and Leafs fan shouldn't be upset. Again I'm not so much upset at the deal as I am the decision to trade him at this point for that return.

I think the deal hinges on what you think of Kapanen because personally I'm not a huge fan. I think he tops out as a slightly better then avg 3rd liner forward but if that's wrong and he becomes a top 6 this is a better deal.

Like I said I don't think its a bad deal its just not a deal I would have jumped all over as the Leafs and would have leanded towards keeping Kessel, letting Babcock coach him and then try again next year if they were insisting on moving him. I don't' think his value goes down and it could have gone up. but your right its not a horrible deal and Leafs fan shouldn't be upset. Again I'm not so much upset at the deal as I am the decision to trade him at this point for that return.

I see your point, the timing could have been better... but I truly believe Babcock wants to structure this team around hardwork and heart...and Kessel doesn't possess either attribute, at least not with the Leafs.

You should see some of the Leafs fans...calling this the worst trade ever, and that we got back "A bottle of gatorade and a bag of pucks".

I am more in tune with Harington...Kapanen is a big ? as to whether or not he will reach top 6 potential or be a 3rd liner. Harington I think will be a solid D-man for us for years to come, and Spalling will probably be traded at the deadline for more picks.

Plus this move really helps us for next years draft. We should sink like a rock, as long as we can get rid of a few more players.

I see your point, the timing could have been better... but I truly believe Babcock wants to structure this team around hardwork and heart...and Kessel doesn't possess either attribute, at least not with the Leafs.

You should see some of the Leafs fans...calling this the worst trade ever, and that we got back "A bottle of gatorade and a bag of pucks".

I am more in tune with Harington...Kapanen is a big ? as to whether or not he will reach top 6 potential or be a 3rd liner. Harington I think will be a solid D-man for us for years to come, and Spalling will probably be traded at the deadline for more picks.

Plus this move really helps us for next years draft. We should sink like a rock, as long as we can get rid of a few more players.

IMO Harrington will be the part that emerges as best of the return as well.

If Leafs fans are upset by the trade, maybe they should think twice about letting their media run their players down.

Not much point in keeping him, it's too far gone. Another 4 games without a goal and he'd be getting rundown again.

Can't wait for Babcock to address the media in less than admirable terms when they start blaming everything and everyone again.

Kessel's going to be potting a lot of goals this year....

Seems to me the Leafs are making some decent value moves. Nothing to knock socks off but good value. Maybe they can take their time and do it right this time.

They wont be blown out all year but they won't be very good either.... 

Patience is key for leaf fans.

As for Pens this is almost crunch time. They have not done much for a few years now. Their window is closing and closing fast. Their new GM is destroying their prospect pool. It won't be pretty down the line if they do not find success soon.

Seems to me the Leafs are making some decent value moves. Nothing to knock socks off but good value. Maybe they can take their time and do it right this time.

As for Pens this is almost crunch time. They have not done much for a few years now. Their window is closing and closing fast. Their new GM is destroying their prospect pool. It won't be pretty down the line if they do not find success soon.

Is there a Mario or Crosby on the horizon in 4-5 years? <_<

They might be getting an early start. :P

Yes patience DEFINITELY is the key to this. I like your assessment DD, I feel the same way.

A lot of the moves being made are exactly what they need to do. Now if we can find a way to get rid of a few more of our expensive contracts I think we'd be set to start this rebuild the right way next season...but I'd rather get something, and not just give up an asset for nothing which I'm sure is why management hasn't just shredded the roster to bits yet.

Archived