Coyotes Kicked Out of Arena

The_People1

There's a lot of talk on radio this week about a second team in Toronto.  The Leafs enjoy a direct market of 6-million and then you've got another 5-million or so continent wide that are Leafs fans.  I think it's time they share that market with another team.  Or another another way to look at it is, the league finds a way to sell 41 more NHL games in the Toronto area per year.  They will sell out for sure at a crazy ticket price too.  Financially, it makes sense.

Financially speaking, why not 41-NHL games in a second Toronto team in Toronto that's sold out to the max, big corporate sponsers, box seats worth tens of millions, crazy apparel sales, and 10-year waiting lists for season tickets?  Why have the Coyotes at 5,000 per game, empty box seats, no media coverage, etc?

There's a lot of talk on radio this week about a second team in Toronto.  The Leafs enjoy a direct market of 6-million and then you've got another 5-million or so continent wide that are Leafs fans.  I think it's time they share that market with another team.  Or another another way to look at it is, the league finds a way to sell 41 more NHL games in the Toronto area per year.  They will sell out for sure at a crazy ticket price too.  Financially, it makes sense.

Financially speaking, why not 41-NHL games in a second Toronto team in Toronto that's sold out to the max, big corporate sponsers, box seats worth tens of millions, crazy apparel sales, and 10-year waiting lists for season tickets?  Why have the Coyotes at 5,000 per game, empty box seats, no media coverage, etc?

You wont see this happening soon. Two spots open in west need filling before the east gets another team and even if the NHL does go east it will be for the new Quebec City arena.

A second team in TO is expansion money.

The league does not seem to want expansion money and needs to move failing teams first.

• 2 weeks later...

The Superbowl was played at the U of Phoenix Stadium (home of the NFL team) next door to the Gila River Arena.  The greater Phoenix area encompasses quite a large area, so the problem is less about access than it is interest in watching 41 home games for hockey.  I went to see the Flames play there in March on 2014, and it was quite a boisterous crowd, if not sold out.  St.Paddy's Day, so the game has some bigger attendance.  Saw lots of Flames jerseys though.

I can see it being a hard-sell with the team in rebuild.  Even as a playoff team, they would be battling NBA for entertainment dollars, and the Spring Training teams (Cactus League) that is there during the late winter months.

But your comparing making the trip for one event compare to doing it for 41, whose to say that if the Arena was in a better location more people would make the trip. Nothings guaranteed of course, maybe Phoenix isn't right for hockey. But it's hard to say...... the Yotes have been the centerfold for incompetence weekly for as long as I can remember.

And the end of the day the Yotes are done in Glendale, they can not survive without the $15mil AMF and I don't think IA has the brains or the dollars to make it work.  I think them moving this year is out of the question, but it'll be interesting to see if they can get a deal done somewhere in time to play a lame duck season.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived