Coyotes Kicked Out of Arena

The_People1

I truly feel bad for the fans and players in Phoenix.  It's been nothing but heartache and misery, bad luck, poor planning, and one frantic soap opera after another for this franchise ever since it was created.

Assuming that the legal issues don't get settled (or a ruling comes out in favour of the city of Glendale), I truly don't know how the Yotes are going to be a franchise (in any form) this upcoming season.  2 1/2 months is not enough time to get things in order for a move/relocation, even if the NHL *does* have their sites on Vegas/Seattle/Quebec City/Hamilton.

As far as I understand, the Coyotes can still play in Gila River Arena, the City just cancelled the contract where the City pays the team to run the building.

That being said bdriges have been burned so I think they will play this upcoming season in the arena while the lawyers figure out what is going on. Then in the 2016-2017 season find a new home whether it be back in the old arena in Phoenix or being moved to a new location like Las Vegas.

As far as I understand, the Coyotes can still play in Gila River Arena, the City just cancelled the contract where the City pays the team to run the building.

That being said bdriges have been burned so I think they will play this upcoming season in the arena while the lawyers figure out what is going on. Then in the 2016-2017 season find a new home whether it be back in the old arena in Phoenix or being moved to a new location like Las Vegas.

It sounds like unless they resolve things with Glendale here in some magical way, they are out of Gila River Arena this season as the city is already moving to hire a company to fill the venue with events to fill their schedule sans Coyotes.

The Suns building makes the most sense as a temp facility... but they've got to hammer out a deal and figure out available dates there as well.  Basically if they manage to get into Phoenix, they'll likely have an extremely brutal schedule this season.

But on the plus side... I bet they have their best attended season of recent yrs in downtown Phoenix.

As to Glendale.... they've massively shot themselves in the foot here... Sure they've moved to save the taxpayers $X mil/ yr of supporting the club...  But they just killed their building. 

If this spurs the construction of a new venue in Scottsdale... there goes every significant event that would of came to Glendale... Downtown Pheonix already draws better and bigger events than Glendale... add in a shiny new Scottsdale arena, and they will see the beautiful Glendale arena shrivel and die... albeit 5-6 yrs down the road.

It sounds like unless they resolve things with Glendale here in some magical way, they are out of Gila River Arena this season as the city is already moving to hire a company to fill the venue with events to fill their schedule sans Coyotes.

The Suns building makes the most sense as a temp facility... but they've got to hammer out a deal and figure out available dates there as well.  Basically if they manage to get into Phoenix, they'll likely have an extremely brutal schedule this season.

But on the plus side... I bet they have their best attended season of recent yrs in downtown Phoenix.

As to Glendale.... they've massively shot themselves in the foot here... Sure they've moved to save the taxpayers $X mil/ yr of supporting the club...  But they just killed their building. 

If this spurs the construction of a new venue in Scottsdale... there goes every significant event that would of came to Glendale... Downtown Pheonix already draws better and bigger events than Glendale... add in a shiny new Scottsdale arena, and they will see the beautiful Glendale arena shrivel and die... albeit 5-6 yrs down the road.

To the last point....

Glendale could be liable for a huge lawsuit.  Sure, they wanted to save a few dollars.  But is it worth the chance at being sued for $200m ???  The city could go bankrupt if they lose in court.  The greater Phoenix area has all the big seals singed with MLB for Spring Training, have built big stadiums, could afford to have a new arena....

I truly feel bad for the fans and players in Phoenix.  It's been nothing but heartache and misery, bad luck, poor planning, and one frantic soap opera after another for this franchise ever since it was created.

06f5cdfc223829171c4cc2301cd8959e.png

Not surprised by this. From what I have read this will save the city 7-8mil a year, considering they were paying the team 15mil a year to stay. Also it was written directly into the contract and is state law that the city can cancel it, sucks for the team but thats how it works. The lawsuit is just standard procedure that pretty much anyone will do when you are talking this much money. The team should have been moved years ago and I think this is the final nail in the coffin. 

Well.. a win for the Coyotes as a judge grants them a restraining order to keep the lease in tact for now...

I would suspect this may ensure them one more season in Glendale.... and give em time to hammer something out with Phoenix.

Well.. a win for the Coyotes as a judge grants them a restraining order to keep the lease in tact for now...

I would suspect this may ensure them one more season in Glendale.... and give em time to hammer something out with Phoenix.

Thank Christ!  Maybe this will light a fire under Bettman's a$$ and get him actually doing something about this franchise instead of insisting that "hockey will work in Arizona", and put all talks about expansion on the backburner for a long, long time.

I've never been to Phoenix but i'm told having an arena in Glendale is like the Flames having an arena by Crossiron Mills.  You basically make the arena unrealistic to access for half your target market.  Sounds like a recipe for failure right there.

There are hockey fans in Phoenix (more than the 5,000 or so who show up to each game) and if they can find a location closer to downtown, then that would work much better.

I've never been to Phoenix but i'm told having an arena in Glendale is like the Flames having an arena by Crossiron Mills.  You basically make the arena unrealistic to access for half your target market.  Sounds like a recipe for failure right there.

There are hockey fans in Phoenix (more than the 5,000 or so who show up to each game) and if they can find a location closer to downtown, then that would work much better.

The Superbowl was played at the U of Phoenix Stadium (home of the NFL team) next door to the Gila River Arena.  The greater Phoenix area encompasses quite a large area, so the problem is less about access than it is interest in watching 41 home games for hockey.  I went to see the Flames play there in March on 2014, and it was quite a boisterous crowd, if not sold out.  St.Paddy's Day, so the game has some bigger attendance.  Saw lots of Flames jerseys though.

I can see it being a hard-sell with the team in rebuild.  Even as a playoff team, they would be battling NBA for entertainment dollars, and the Spring Training teams (Cactus League) that is there during the late winter months.

I was working in the Phoenix area (Scottsdale) for a couple months and had the opportunity to go to a Flames game in January 2010.  Scottsdale to Glendale is one LONG drive.  Took me forever to get there.  The game was not close to selling out and the majority were Flames fans.  I agree that a more central location would help with attendance, but only so much.  I don't think there's enough interest to support an NHL team there.

I was working in the Phoenix area (Scottsdale) for a couple months and had the opportunity to go to a Flames game in January 2010.  Scottsdale to Glendale is one LONG drive.  Took me forever to get there.  The game was not close to selling out and the majority were Flames fans.  I agree that a more central location would help with attendance, but only so much.  I don't think there's enough interest to support an NHL team there.

I've seen ideas floating around about a team in Toontown. As a Sask person what is your take?

Much less population than the Phoenix area but probably more hockey fans than the entire state of Arizona.

As a aside I'm for it as I like Saskatoon & admire the Riders fans. Thing is, could 'Toon fill the rink 41 times a year?

I don't think Saskatoon would have enough corporate backing to support a team. The fans wouldn't be a problem as people from Saskatchewan are crazy and will travel from all over to support their team.

The other thing is do they have a stadium that can support an NHL franchise.

I don't think Saskatoon would have enough corporate backing to support a team. The fans wouldn't be a problem as people from Saskatchewan are crazy and will travel from all over to support their team.

The other thing is do they have a  stadium(?)  that can support an NHL franchise.

Their arena held 15,000 & box seats when they hosted the WJC in 2010. The MTS Center in Wpg. has 15,009 & pay the bills.

15 thousand paying the going rate for tickets > a generous estimated attendance of 5000 paying cheap prices (38.80) in Phoenix Arizona. & locals without a ticket would actually tune in to watch them on tv rather than go golfing all winter.

Do you really think that the Coyotes have corporate support? Season tickets are bought to impress clients. The Suns, Cards & Diamondbacks are more likely to impress clients than the lowly Coyotes.

SaskTel Center, where the Blades play, has a capacity of 15,190, so yeah, there is an NHL-calibre arena here.  I've always been of the opinion that we don't have the population to support an NHL team.   I hadn't even thought of the corporate part.

I can understand the ability to fill a CFL stadium for 16+ games in the late summer, leading into late fall, but would the same fans be ready to show up for 41 games through the winter to watch a rebuilding team?  On weekdays?  We are not talking about a "dynasty" team like the Oilers whose fans are deluded into believing that every season has the chance of being the one.

I can understand the ability to fill a CFL stadium for 16+ games in the late summer, leading into late fall, but would the same fans be ready to show up for 41 games through the winter to watch a rebuilding team?  On weekdays?  We are not talking about a "dynasty" team like the Oilers whose fans are deluded into believing that every season has the chance of being the one.

Well, "the one" could mean anything! 

Stanley Cup or Draft Lottery…. They're always close to being "the one" every year. 

Well, just speaking for myself, I know I wouldn't.  The top reason being that I'm a passionate Flames fan and I'm not going to shell out season ticket money for any other team.  :)  I also work evenings (including every other weekend) so season tickets would be a massive waste of money because I wouldn't be able to attend the majority of the games.  When the Flames were in town I'd go to all those games, though. :D

Archived