Louick Marcotte a Flames?

Great signing, love it.

And I'm usually the one that comes in whining about their stupid low-end depth deals.

This is at worst, a great depth signing.

This is at best, a potential 2nd to 1st-line power forward RW.

If you're going to throw some dice on a kid, throw them on one that at least has star potential (even if it's low probability).

Louick has that.

The great thing is he was cheap and will probably produce more in 1 yr with our franchise than bertch the whole time we had him. Ok maybe a little over the top but he didn't cost us a first round lost ending up with a 2 round pick that will probably do better than bertch as well. Ok so I have a bad taste in my mouth with bertch he was as far as I'm concerned a player that thought he was better than every one else and blamed every one else for his lack of productivity. I guess im just hoping marcotte can take his place and do his job of course now Sven starts scoring for the Utica team.

I think he is a RW prospect that cost nothing to acquire and try out on the AHL team. Considering our lack of depth at the position it makes sense. I don't think he was brought in to replace anyone.

He won't replace anyone notable, no.  

Put another way, he is instantly our top RW prospect.

He also has far more potential than a NUMBER of first round draft picks we've had, at that age.

Almost no risk, with very high reward potential.

Can't go wrong imho.

He won't replace anyone notable, no.

Put another way, he is instantly our top RW prospect.

He also has far more potential than a NUMBER of first round draft picks we've had, at that age.

Almost no risk, with very high reward potential.

Can't go wrong imho.

He isn't our top RW prospect. Keep it in perspective. He is an undrafted overager that signed an AHL contract. If teams felt he had more potential then guys like Smith and Poirier he wouldn't be signed to an AHL deal.

He isn't our top RW prospect. Keep it in perspective. He is an undrafted overager that signed an AHL contract. If teams felt he had more potential then guys like Smith and Poirier he wouldn't be signed to an AHL deal.

This feels like one of those times where we're thinking the same thing but disagreeing on who's thinking it better.

First of all, I kind of forgot about Hunter Smith.  Who, overall, is a better prospect at this time.  So you're right about that, obviously.

In terms of ceiling, however, you have to give it to Marcotte.   Obviously odds are stacked in Hunter Smith's favour.

Poirier, however, isn't a true RW.   Yes, he can play it.   Yes the Flames have encouraged it, but that has more to do with our lack of RW depth and a whole lot less to do with Poirier.

If you want to consider Poirier a "RW", then yes, Marcotte will likely "replace" him if they both end up in the AHL next year.

By replace, I mean they'll move Poirier over to LW where he's strongest.  And develop Marcotte on RW.

Nobody here believes that Marcotte is better than Poirier or Smith right now.  No arguement there.

But Poirier is irrelevant.  Partially because of this signing.

We have two RW prospects worth mention now.   Marcotte, and Hunter Smith.

Yes, you're right.   Hunter Smith is our #1.   But that's....all there is.  The two of them.   And Marcotte has the higher ceiling if not the higher stature.

This feels like one of those times where we're thinking the same thing but disagreeing on who's thinking it better.

First of all, I kind of forgot about Hunter Smith.  Who, overall, is a better prospect at this time.  So you're right about that, obviously.

In terms of ceiling, however, you have to give it to Marcotte.   Obviously odds are stacked in Hunter Smith's favour.

Poirier, however, isn't a true RW.   Yes, he can play it.   Yes the Flames have encouraged it, but that has more to do with our lack of RW depth and a whole lot less to do with Poirier.

If you want to consider Poirier a "RW", then yes, Marcotte will likely "replace" him if they both end up in the AHL next year.

By replace, I mean they'll move Poirier over to LW where he's strongest.  And develop Marcotte on RW.

Nobody here believes that Marcotte is better than Poirier or Smith right now.  No arguement there.

But Poirier is irrelevant.  Partially because of this signing.

We have two RW prospects worth mention now.   Marcotte, and Hunter Smith.

Yes, you're right.   Hunter Smith is our #1.   But that's....all there is.  The two of them.   And Marcotte has the higher ceiling if not the higher stature.

I will say this.  Poirier prefers to play the off-wing.  I believe that it where he spent the most time of his junior career.  It also seems that he played on Arnold's RW in the AHL.

Alright signing. Had a good year last year playing with Anthony Mantha. Begs the question of why he didn't get drafted or signed to an AHL contract last year after putting up 100 points. Had a disappointing year this year as an overager.

He will be solid depth player in the AHL this year.

As far as being one of our top RW prospects, I would put Emile Poirier Hunter Smith, Autin Carroll and Garnet Hathaway ahead of him.

As far as being one of our top RW prospects, I would put Emile Poirier Hunter Smith, Autin Carroll and Garnet Hathaway ahead of him.

Garnet Hathaway?  Really?  I would have assumed it went without saying Marcotte's better.

Austin Carroll,  that might be worth a discussion.   If Carroll was a RW.  Which isn't entirely clear.   Ultimately I would say Marcotte is better, but worth a discussion for sure.

Keep in mind that Marcotte has slightly better numbers, yet played on one of the worst teams in his league.  Whereas Carroll has worse numbers, yet played on one of the best teams in his league.

In my mind:

1.  Hunter Smith

2.  Louick Marcotte

3.  Hathaway

Unsure of position:

-Poirier (will probably develop into a LW, and shoots left)

-Carroll (an off-wing RH.   Should probably play RW but not sure if he's developed as such.  Would rank him #3, if he becomes an AHL RW)

Well at this point Marcotte isn't a Flames prospect at all as he doesn't have an NHL contract. Hathaway has a strong chance to play in the NHL this year, he had a very strong rookie pro season last year, think Lance Bouma on the right side.

JJ, you need to keep in mind that he signed an AHL contract. That likely means 30 GMs weren't ready to offer him an NHL contract. 30 GMs passed on drafting him. Plus he was an overager so I take his offensive production with a grain of salt.

Decent chance to take because it costs nothing and it is a position where we lack depth. But this whole 'best RW prospect' in the system is a bit much IMO.

Those guys that JT listed all have NHL contracts and all could legitimately see call ups next season. The exception is Smith and we will see what the Flames do there.

Right now Marcotte is a minor league signing so I would have to agree with JT. That said, hopefully the transition to pro is easy for him and he proves he is a good prospect for the Flames.

I also have to wonder why you keep questioning if Poirier (and Carroll) is a RW. He played there in junior. He played there in the AHL. He played there in his NHL call ups.

Lots of players play their off wing. Especially on the right side.

Decent chance to take because it costs nothing and it is a position where we lack depth. But this whole 'best RW prospect' in the system is a bit much IMO.

Well, we all agree on this, and that's all that really matters.

I certainly understand that some of us are putting a lot of stock in whether a player was drafted, their contract status, what 30 other GM's think (you're assuming Edmonton, Toronto, and ...some other mystery team, are all NHL teams), whether they'll be called up next year, technicalities on the contractual definition of NHL prospects, and how many other LH's we have that can pass as RWs.

I certainly understand all those factors, but I ultimately consider them to be irrelevant in my own assessment.

I rank our players based on age-appropriate performance and improvement.

I put Marcotte as our 2nd-best Right-handed winger in our prospect pool, and currently #1 in terms of their ceiling.

We all agree with the signing, so that's the important thing.

I certainly understand that some of us are putting a lot of stock in whether a player was drafted, their contract status, what 30 other GM's think (you're assuming Edmonton, Toronto, and ...some other mystery team, are all NHL teams), whether they'll be called up next year, technicalities on the contractual definition of NHL prospects, and how many other LH's we have that can pass as RWs.

I certainly understand all those factors, but I ultimately consider them to be irrelevant in my own assessment.

I put Marcotte as our 2nd-best Right-handed winger in our prospect pool, and currently #1 in terms of their ceiling.

On a quiet day I was checking this guy out some more.  Very impressive Junior career and glad the Flames (Stockton) have signed him.  Not sure why he never got drafted which is the big unknown, but I'm excited to see him in July and see how he compares with other prospects.

Why do you keep insisting that Poirier is a LW playing RW?  He is a RW that has played one season as a pro and in his first season put up top 3 numbers.  This after having surgery last year.

Both had good year in the Q, but Poirier was younger at the time.  Poirier has already transitioned his game a year earlier.  I will take a wait and see approach to Marcotte, since we all know how junior number don't always mean much.

Looking forward to see what this guy can do. Was reading up on Mantha, his line mate and Detroit first rounder. Apparently Mantha was dynamite in Junior but less than impressive in the AHL. It will be interesting to see if Louick was the catalyst or whether it's just a coincidence.

In any case it's nice to see BT searching high and low for talent and leaving no stone unturned.

Looking forward to see what this guy can do. Was reading up on Mantha, his line mate and Detroit first rounder. Apparently Mantha was dynamite in Junior but less than impressive in the AHL. It will be interesting to see if Louick was the catalyst or whether it's just a coincidence.

In any case it's nice to see BT searching high and low for talent and leaving no stone unturned.

Backlund wasn't very good in the AHL (numbers suggesting) but thrives as a defensive C. He has some O skill. Although Backlund was rushed.

Both Marcotte and Hunter Smith likely end up in the AHL next year so they should be good for pushing each other.

Agree, along with Carroll, Wolf, Klimchuk(?), Hathaway and a few others.  It should be an interesting battle.  

Hopefully a couple spots open up on the Flames to provide some opportunity.  If not injuries happen and they'll just have to make the most of their opportunities when they arise.

Archived