Be the GM 2015/16

kehatch

Someone puts one of these up every off seasons.  Its a place to make a full set of recommendations on what the Flames should or could do this summer.  The only rule is to try and be realistic in your trades and signings.  I would also recommend people avoid long debates on the hypothetical's we can't answer.  Would Boston match a 6-million offer sheet to Hamilton?  Maybe.  But maybe not.  Its a reasonable idea IMO (though if you disagree with that then fire away!)  

Here is my take:

Extensions

• Sign: Ferland (1.1x1), Bouma (1.5x1), Shore (1.5x1), Jooris (1.5x1), Backlund (4x3), Schlemko (1.5x2), Arnold (1.1x1), Wolf (1.5x1), Hanowski (0.9x1), Agostino (1.3x1), Ramage (1x1), Reinhart (0.9x1)
  • Let Walk: Byron, Potter, Diaz, Ramo, McGrattan, Setoguchi, Cundari, Elson, Van Brabant, Acolatse, Thiesen

Trades / Offer Sheets

• Wideman (CGY) to (BUF) NYI 1-round pick
  • Offer sheet to Hamilton (BOS) for 6-million (Cost of Calgary 1, 2, and 3-round picks)
  • Engelland, Stajan (CGY) to (PHI) Grossman, L Schenn, Lecavalier
  • WSH 2-round pick (CGY) to (OTT) Lehner

Free Agent Signings

• None

Final Roster

Gaudreau (0.9) - Monahan (0.9) - Hudler (4) 

Raymond (3.2) - Backlund (4) - Jones (4) 

Ferland (1.1) - Bennett (0.9) - Colborne (1.3) 

Bouma (1.5) - Lecavalier (4.5) - Shore (1.5)  

Bollig (1.3), Jooris (1.5) 

Brodie (4.7) - Giordano (4)

Russell (3.5) - Schenn (3.6)

Grossman (3.5) - Hamilton (6)

Schlemko (1.5)

Hiller (4.5)

Lehner (2.2)

This leaves the forward roster relatively intact allowing the youth to gain experience.  As much as I see value in Hudler, and as much as I want to trade Raymond and Bollig, the reality is our forward lines are in good shape.  They were decent enough this season and there are a lot of young players on the roster and in the system.  The forward roster will (for the most part) sort itself out.  

The D is another question.  We have very little in the system and our D depth was pretty terrible this season.  This plan transforms the D outside of the effective top line.  The addition of Schenn and Hamilton are huge.  Grossman and Schlemko are good fillers until we see some development on the farm.  

Goalie is a big question mark for the Flames.  On one hand Hiller played well this season and we have some good prospects in Ortio and Gilles.  But neither of those prospects are sure things.  Ramo will be an expensive signing and Hiller will be tough to move.  I am not ready to hand a roster spot to Ortio without him earning it.  Lehner is added to give us some depth at goalie and to provide competition to Ortio.  He also adds another option long term. 

As for the draft, we lose some picks.  But we still retain a pick in each of the first three rounds.  

We also maintain cap flexibility.  Our cap rises to 64.1 (about 5-million in space).  Things get interesting the following year.  We will see Hudler, Jones, Colborne, Gaudreau, Monahan, Jooris, Shore, Bouma, Ferland, Giordano, Russell, Schenn, Grossman, and Hiller's contracts expire. There are some expensive contracts to be signed (Monahan, Gaudreau, Giordano, Russell, Schenn, and maybe Hudler).  But it is also a lot of money coming off the books and it gives us flexibility at the trade deadline or the following off season.  

The Lecavalier contract is a pain. But he is only a million more then Stajan.  The Flames may want to evaluate a buy-out depending on how this season goes.  With reasonable contract signed I estimate the Flames will be in the 75 million range.  But they are going to have a similar issue with Stajan.  They may have to look at moving Raymond and/or Bollig to clear up space.  

I think BT may chose some stability again keeping most of the vets around. We don't have many if any system players knocking the door down to force themselves onto the scene. ( except Ortio) This leads me to thinks Ramo walks which IMO is unfortunate.

Some how I would like to get a really good 2nd pairing D that can grow with the team. (if this is the only addition I'm good)

Hiller, Ortio

Giordano, Brodie

(NEW), Wideman

Russell , Engelland (extras Schlemko & Wotherspoon)

Gaudreau, Monahan, Jones

Bennett , Colborne, Hudler

Bouma, Backlund, Jooris

Bollig, Stajan, Ferland

I think we need to see if we can make the size we have more effective.

This doesn't leave much talent to use within a trade, maybe Raymond, Granlund and ???

Watching the draft will be interesting.

Extensions

Sign: Ferland (1.1x1), Bouma (1.5x1), Shore (1.5x1), Jooris (1.5x1), Backlund (4x3), Schlemko (1.5x2), Arnold (1.1x1), Wolf (1.5x1), Hanowski (0.9x1), Agostino (1.3x1), Ramage (1x1), Reinhart (0.9x1), Diaz (1x1), Van Brabant (.9x1)

Let Walk: Byron, Potter, Ramo, McGrattan, Setoguchi, Cundari, Elson, Acolatse, Thiesen

Trades / Offer Sheets

Wideman (CGY) + Raymond to (BUF) NYI 1-round pick and Grigorenko

Offer sheet to Hamilton (BOS) for 6-million (Cost of Calgary 1, 2, and 3-round picks)

Free Agent Signings

None

Final Roster

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Houma- Backlund - Jones

Ferland - Bennett - Jooris

Bollig - Stajan - Coulbroun

Grigorenko - Shore

Brodie - Giordano

Russell - Hamilton

Schlemlk - Diaz

Morrison - Witherspoon

Hiller

Ortio

Someone puts one of these up every off seasons. Its a place to make a full set of recommendations on what the Flames should or could do this summer. The only rule is to try and be realistic in your trades and signings. I would also recommend people avoid long debates on the hypothetical's we can't answer. Would Boston match a 6-million offer sheet to Hamilton? Maybe. But maybe not. Its a reasonable idea IMO (though if you disagree with that then fire away!)

Here is my take:

Extensions

• Sign: Ferland (1.1x1), Bouma (1.5x1), Shore (1.5x1), Jooris (1.5x1), Backlund (4x3), Schlemko (1.5x2), Arnold (1.1x1), Wolf (1.5x1), Hanowski (0.9x1), Agostino (1.3x1), Ramage (1x1), Reinhart (0.9x1)
  • Let Walk: Byron, Potter, Diaz, Ramo, McGrattan, Setoguchi, Cundari, Elson, Van Brabant, Acolatse, Thiesen
Trades / Offer Sheets
  • Wideman (CGY) to (BUF) NYI 1-round pick
  • Offer sheet to Hamilton (BOS) for 6-million (Cost of Calgary 1, 2, and 3-round picks)
  • Engelland, Stajan (CGY) to (PHI) Grossman, L Schenn, Lecavalier
  • WSH 2-round pick (CGY) to (OTT) Lehner
Free Agent Signings
  • None
Final Roster

Gaudreau (0.9) - Monahan (0.9) - Hudler (4)

Raymond (3.2) - Backlund (4) - Jones (4)

Ferland (1.1) - Bennett (0.9) - Colborne (1.3)

Bouma (1.5) - Lecavalier (4.5) - Shore (1.5)

Bollig (1.3), Jooris (1.5)

Brodie (4.7) - Giordano (4)

Russell (3.5) - Schenn (3.6)

Grossman (3.5) - Hamilton (6)

Schlemko (1.5)

Hiller (4.5)

Lehner (2.2)

This leaves the forward roster relatively intact allowing the youth to gain experience. As much as I see value in Hudler, and as much as I want to trade Raymond and Bollig, the reality is our forward lines are in good shape. They were decent enough this season and there are a lot of young players on the roster and in the system. The forward roster will (for the most part) sort itself out.

The D is another question. We have very little in the system and our D depth was pretty terrible this season. This plan transforms the D outside of the effective top line. The addition of Schenn and Hamilton are huge. Grossman and Schlemko are good fillers until we see some development on the farm.

Goalie is a big question mark for the Flames. On one hand Hiller played well this season and we have some good prospects in Ortio and Gilles. But neither of those prospects are sure things. Ramo will be an expensive signing and Hiller will be tough to move. I am not ready to hand a roster spot to Ortio without him earning it. Lehner is added to give us some depth at goalie and to provide competition to Ortio. He also adds another option long term.

As for the draft, we lose some picks. But we still retain a pick in each of the first three rounds.

We also maintain cap flexibility. Our cap rises to 64.1 (about 5-million in space). Things get interesting the following year. We will see Hudler, Jones, Colborne, Gaudreau, Monahan, Jooris, Shore, Bouma, Ferland, Giordano, Russell, Schenn, Grossman, and Hiller's contracts expire. There are some expensive contracts to be signed (Monahan, Gaudreau, Giordano, Russell, Schenn, and maybe Hudler). But it is also a lot of money coming off the books and it gives us flexibility at the trade deadline or the following off season.

The Lecavalier contract is a pain. But he is only a million more then Stajan. The Flames may want to evaluate a buy-out depending on how this season goes. With reasonable contract signed I estimate the Flames will be in the 75 million range. But they are going to have a similar issue with Stajan. They may have to look at moving Raymond and/or Bollig to clear up space.

I agree with 95% of this. I would let Hanowski walk, and keep Elson. Elson had the better season of the two. I just don't see any upside to Hanowski, his skating is terrible.

I am not sure we would get a 1st for Wideman. I should say, I wouldn't give up a 1st for Wiseman, but stranger things have happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Extensions

Sign: Ferland (1.2x1), Wolf (1.1x1), Hanowski (0.9x1), Reinhart (0.9x1), Agostino (1.1x1), Arnold (1.1x2), Shore (1.2x1), Jooris (1.2x1), Elson (0.7x1), Ramage (0.95x1), Schlemko (1.6x1), Bouma (1.5x1), Backlund (3,4x4)

Let Walk: Byron, McGrattan, Setoguchi, Thiessen, Ramo, Potter, Diaz, Cundari, Acolatse

Trades / Offer Sheets

1.  Brandon Bollig  to BOS   for 2015 5th (#135)
  2.  Markus Granlund, Josh Jooris and 2015 2nd (#45)  to STL  for TJ Oshie and D Jake Walman
  3.  Max Reinhart  to ARZ  for D Dysin Mayo

Free Agent Signings

1.  Andrej Meszaros  -  1 year 2.6m
  2.  Thomas Greiss  -  1 year 1.3m

Final Roster

1SC: Gaudreau (0.9) - Monahan (0.9) - Hudler (4)

1SD: Bouma (1.5) - Backlund (3.4) - Oshie (4.2)

2SC: Raymond (3.2) - Bennett (0.9) - Colborne (1.3)

2SD: Ferland (1.2) - Stajan (3.1) - Jones (4)

x:      Wolf (1.1) - Shore (1.2)

1st:   Giordano (4) - Brodie (4.7)

2nd:  Russell (2.6) - Wideman (5.3)

3rd:   Schlemko (1.6) - Meszaros (2.6)

x:       Engelland (2.9)

ST:    Hiller (4.5)

BU:   Greiss (1.3)

Trade recap:

1. Bollig has done a good job with his experience in the playoffs. But I was really unimpressed with his regualr season play. I want the Flames to be capable of playing 4 lines, where lines 2-4 can at least play 12-15 min a night, depending on performance. I think in Ferland and Wolf we have two players that can provides toughness and are better overall players.

A team like Boston might be interested in Bollig in a division that has players like Prust, Neil, Thornton and McCormick (if he's re-signed, otherwise BUF could also be a trading place). 

2. I think the value is close, but if Oshie really is on the trademarket, there might be teams that can put together a better package. As much as I'd like to have Oshie, I wouldn't give a 1st round pick at this point.  He would certainly be a huge addition to our club and give us a real top6 winger. 

A lot of Blues fans said, that they are looking for an upgrade on Oshie (which is tough to get) or a 1st in the upcoming draft. We're not ready to deal 1st round picks but give them a package of young useful bottom6 players (Granlund could still develop into a 2nd liner) plus the pick is a good offer. The Blues lack Center depth in prospects, so that woul help them as well.

3. Arizona is a team with a lot of holes right now. We have so many bottom 6 players and prospects that we should start and try to trade one of them for other needs. I think Max is close to the NHL and challenge for a spot on a young Coyotes team next season. In exchange we get a right handed D prospect, that is a year away from going pro. The Coyotes have a really young D-corps and might be willing to trade Mayo for a young 3rd/4th liner, who could play as early as next season. They can easily restore their D-depth in the next 2 drafts.

Goalies:

I'm in the camp, that would rather re-sign Ramo and trade Hiller, but I don't see a clear destination for a Hiller trade. I'm also not sure, if Ortio is ready for the NHL full time. Greiss is a capable Backup and cheap signing, that is going to compete with Ortio for the job as Backup.

Defense:

The top4 is pretty much set, and Mez gives us a 2way guy with decent size and mobility, who can step in the top4 if needed. He has some problems staying healthy, hence the 1 year deal. Wotherspoon and Morrison will likely be the top pairing in the AHL and first callups. I don't think Nakladal will be in the NHL at the start of the season. Just like Wolf he will need some time to get acclimated to the north american game and culture. Adding Walman and Mayo gives us some future depth on D, both can play in their respective leagues next season, while we get another look at Ramage, Sieloff, Culkin and Kulak on our team in Stockton.

Forwards:

As much as i'd like to trade Raymond, I don't see a trading partner unless you take a bad contract back.

The addition of TJ Oshie would be great, giving us a 28 year old top6 RW with 2years left at 4.2m. I put him on the Shutdown line with Backs, because he is a skilled 2way player that gives that line some much needed scoring punch. He would also help improving our powerplay, be it on the topline or with Bennett on the 2nd. If we are not a playoff team com trade deadline, it could also make the decision to trade Hudler easier, as you already have a replacement on the roster.

Free Agent Signings

1.  Andrej Meszaros  -  1 year 3.3m  (2.2m basic + 1.1m peformance bonus)

Defense:

The top4 is pretty much set, and Mez gives us a 2way guy with decent size and mobility, who can step in the top4 if needed. He has some problems staying healthy, hence the 1 year deal with bonus.

Only EL players or vets that have missed a lot of time due to injury are eligible for perfomance based contracts & only under certain circumstances. I'll let you look it up for yourself.

So you get Mez @ 3.3 & a bonus based 1 would not be accepted by the league.

Is he worth 3.3? Not to me.

Draft:

15th Thomas Chabot D

45th Christian Fischer RW

52nd Nicolas Meloche D

53rd Nikita Korostelev RW

76th Samuel Dove-Mcfalls C

83rd Mike Robinson G

* keeping all picks

Addressing a bit of everything in this draft. Chabot is a skilled 2 way defencemen potentially similar to Brodie. Meloche is a mean son of a gun maybe a right handed Kanzig? Address the lack of RW prospects with a big heavy player like Fischer and a skilled winger like Korostelev. With Gillies turning pro the only prospect in junior/college is Mcdonald, Robinson is committed to UNH giving him 3-4 years of development.

Extensions ( I'm no salary cap expert but heres my shot at it)

Backlund for 3 years (2.75 per)

Bouma for 3 years (1.5 per)

Ferland for 2 years (900,000 per)

Jooris for 1 year (1 mill)

Shore for 1 year (925,000)

Schlemko for 1 year ( 1.5)

Wolf for 2 years ( 900,000 per)

Arnold for 2 years ( 850,000 per)

Ramage for 1 year ( 700,000)

Hanowski for 1 year ( 875,000)

Agostino for 1 year ( 925,000)

Elson for 1 year (600,000)

Let go:

Thiessen, Reinhart, Cundari, Acolatse, Setoguchi Mcgrattan, Van Brabant, Potter, Diaz, Byron *buy Smid out

Trades:

Hiller, Granlund, Klimchuk, 45th OA to STL for Oshie, Elliott

OR

Bollig to BOS for Savard contract and 37 OA

Free agency

Matt Bartkowski 1 year (1.75 mil).

Opening night lineup

Gaudreau Monahan Hudler

Colborne Bennett Oshie

Ferland- Backlund- Jones

Jooris/Shore -Stajan- Raymond

Wolf

D

Giordano-Brodie

Russell- Wideman

Engelland- Bartkowski/Wotherspoon

Schlemko

G

Elliott

Ortio

Only EL players or vets that have missed a lot of time due to injury are eligible for perfomance based contracts & only under certain circumstances. I'll let you look it up for yourself.

So you get Mez @ 3.3 & a bonus based 1 would not be accepted by the league.

Is he worth 3.3? Not to me.

Thanks for the advice FF52! While I guessed that this bonus is for veterans with a one year deal who had injury problems, I didn't know they had to be at least 100 days on injury reserve. I'm going to fix that in a moment.

EXTENSIONS AAV$ YR1 YR2 YR3 YR4 YR5 YR6 YR7 YR8

Giordano     $6.5          X     X     X     X     X    X    X

Hudler        $4.5           X    X     X     X

Bouma        $2.5     X    X    X     X

Backlund     $3.5    X    X     X     X

Jooris         $2.4     X    X     X

Ferland      $1.5      X    X     X

Schlemko  $1.5      X    X

Arnold       $1.5      X    X

Shore        $1.5      X    X

Byron        $1.5      X    X

Agostino   $1.2      X

Wolf          $1.2      X 

Elson        $0.8      X

Ramage    $0.9      X

*McGratton *Sign onto coaching/developmental (lifestyle) staff

UFA LOSS

McGratton, Setoguchi, Potter, Diaz, Cundari, Acolatse, Smid (LTIR)

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS

Ramo       $3.5      X    X

Thiessen  $0.8      X

TRADES/OFFER SHEETS

Engelland ($2.917) & Hiller ($4.5) & 2015 2nd Rounder (52nd Overall) to SJS for Burns ($5.76)

Bollig ($1.25) & Hanowski ($0.9) & Colborne ($1.275) to BOSTON for Lucic ($6.0)

Reinhart (RFA) & 2015 3rd Rounder (83rd Overall) to ARIZONA for Dysin Mayo (JR RshD)

Raymond ($3.15) to TORONTO for Petter Granberg (RFA RshD)

FALL 2015 ROSTER

1L Gaudreau (0.925) Monahan ($0.925)  Hudler ($4.0)

2L Lucic ($6.0) Bennett ($0.925) Jooris ($2.4)

3L Bouma ($2.5) Backlund ($3.5) Jones ($4.0)

4L Ferland ($1.5) Stajan ($3.125) Granlund ($0.768)

5L Byron ($1.5) Shore ($1.5) Poirier ($0.863)***

1D2D Giordano ($4.02) TJ Brodie ($4.65)

3D4D Burns ($5.76) Nakladal ($0.8175)

5D6D Wideman ($5.25) Russell ($2.6)

7D8D Shlemko ($1.5) Morrison ($0.925)*** Wotherspoon ($0.925)***

G1 Ramo ($3.5)

G2 Ortio ($0.6)

***AHL First Call-ups

NOTES: 

1. 2015 Season Opening Cap @ $62.27mm (~$9mm below the currently estimated $71mm 2015-16 Salary Cap)
  2. Strategy for the Fall 2015 Roster is three-fold.  First, a significant addition to the 3D position preferably via trade, but could be through Free Agency (e.g. Franson/Sekera) or Offer Sheet (e.g. Hamilton @ $6.2mm).  Secondly a significant addition to the Top6 (2L) as a scoring/physical winger.  Again there are alternative means of acquisition.  Thirdly, and just as critical, disposition of multiple Flames players both to open roster spots and focus on the LT by utilizing our current depth for upgrades into 1-2 spots.
  3. Trade for Brent Burns who has been utilized as both a Winger and Defenceman for the SJS.  Good offence, defence and physical, 30 years old.  San Jose is going to need a new #1/1A Goalie, and looking at Hiller who they are familiar with.  Other pieces flexible though Engelland (also physical, tough defender/forward) OUT a priority.  
  4. Trade for Milan Lucic a tough, scoring Top6 Winger would be a good fit in Calgary.  Boston up against the Cap and needing relief via cheap, useful players.  As speed not Boston’s game Bollig (toughness, size), Hanowski (size, scoring) and Colborne (size, scoring, developing physicality, originally drafted by Boston) could fit the bill.  Also Lucic has had a couple off seasons so they may be willing to part company.
  5. Last two trades clearing out solid depth players with skill and speed for young D prospects.
  6. The 2015 Roster would include two new acquisitions and 5 fresh rookies.  

I like all of your ideas, but im not sure that they give up brent burns for what you are offering in that trade, might be over valuing hiller a bit.

I'm not sure they would either, but in this and any other trade the suggestion would form the core of the deal and minor tweaking with lower picks and prospects would be expected.

EXTENSIONS AAV$ YR1 YR2 YR3 YR4 YR5 YR6 YR7 YR8

Giordano     $6.5          X     X     X     X     X    X    X

Hudler        $4.5           X    X     X     X

Bouma        $2.5     X    X    X     X

Backlund     $3.5    X    X     X     X

Jooris         $2.4     X    X     X

Ferland      $1.5      X    X     X

Schlemko  $1.5      X    X

Arnold       $1.5      X    X

Shore        $1.5      X    X

Byron        $1.5      X    X

Agostino   $1.2      X

Wolf          $1.2      X 

Elson        $0.8      X

Ramage    $0.9      X

*McGratton *Sign onto coaching/developmental (lifestyle) staff

UFA LOSS

McGratton, Setoguchi, Potter, Diaz, Cundari, Acolatse, Smid (LTIR)

FREE AGENT SIGNINGS

Ramo       $3.5      X    X

Thiessen  $0.8      X

TRADES/OFFER SHEETS

Engelland ($2.917) & Hiller ($4.5) & 2015 2nd Rounder (52nd Overall) to SJS for Burns ($5.76)

Bollig ($1.25) & Hanowski ($0.9) & Colborne ($1.275) to BOSTON for Lucic ($6.0)

Reinhart (RFA) & 2015 3rd Rounder (83rd Overall) to ARIZONA for Dysin Mayo (JR RshD)

Raymond ($3.15) to TORONTO for Petter Granberg (RFA RshD)

FALL 2015 ROSTER

1L Gaudreau (0.925) Monahan ($0.925)  Hudler ($4.0)

2L Lucic ($6.0) Bennett ($0.925) Jooris ($2.4)

3L Bouma ($2.5) Backlund ($3.5) Jones ($4.0)

4L Ferland ($1.5) Stajan ($3.125) Granlund ($0.768)

5L Byron ($1.5) Shore ($1.5) Poirier ($0.863)***

1D2D Giordano ($4.02) TJ Brodie ($4.65)

3D4D Burns ($5.76) Nakladal ($0.8175)

5D6D Wideman ($5.25) Russell ($2.6)

7D8D Shlemko ($1.5) Morrison ($0.925)*** Wotherspoon ($0.925)***

G1 Ramo ($3.5)

G2 Ortio ($0.6)

***AHL First Call-ups

NOTES: 

1. 2015 Season Opening Cap @ $62.27mm (~$9mm below the currently estimated $71mm 2015-16 Salary Cap)
  2. Strategy for the Fall 2015 Roster is three-fold.  First, a significant addition to the 3D position preferably via trade, but could be through Free Agency (e.g. Franson/Sekera) or Offer Sheet (e.g. Hamilton @ $6.2mm).  Secondly a significant addition to the Top6 (2L) as a scoring/physical winger.  Again there are alternative means of acquisition.  Thirdly, and just as critical, disposition of multiple Flames players both to open roster spots and focus on the LT by utilizing our current depth for upgrades into 1-2 spots.
  3. Trade for Brent Burns who has been utilized as both a Winger and Defenceman for the SJS.  Good offence, defence and physical, 30 years old.  San Jose is going to need a new #1/1A Goalie, and looking at Hiller who they are familiar with.  Other pieces flexible though Engelland (also physical, tough defender/forward) OUT a priority.  
  4. Trade for Milan Lucic a tough, scoring Top6 Winger would be a good fit in Calgary.  Boston up against the Cap and needing relief via cheap, useful players.  As speed not Boston’s game Bollig (toughness, size), Hanowski (size, scoring) and Colborne (size, scoring, developing physicality, originally drafted by Boston) could fit the bill.  Also Lucic has had a couple off seasons so they may be willing to part company.
  5. Last two trades clearing out solid depth players with skill and speed for young D prospects.
  6. The 2015 Roster would include two new acquisitions and 5 fresh rookies.  

You have done a good job assessing the go forward core and some complimentary additions. I would be great if a GM could fix everything at once but I don't see it happening quite as you have it here.

I will be surprised (again) if Byron is kept around.

You have done a good job assessing the go forward core and some complimentary additions. I would be great if a GM could fix everything at once but I don't see it happening quite as you have it here.

I will be surprised (again) if Byron is kept around.

I would also be suprised if we kept byron around, as much as I think hes a great player and adds alot to the team. Im not sure where he fits right now in the bottom 6. Does BT keep him around as a 13th forward maybe?

I would also be suprised if we kept byron around, as much as I think hes a great player and adds alot to the team. Im not sure where he fits right now in the bottom 6. Does BT keep him around as a 13th forward maybe?

Flames are caught in a conundrum right now, between skilled size and speed/skill/character.

I would agree with BB's assessment after the Anaheim series we need to get bigger(with skill) but BT made it clear size is fine but they also need to be able to skate and have skill(which I also agree with).  I think BT's comments were laying down the gauntlet to big players already in the system they need to work hard on their skating and that is going to be key to progressing far with the Flames.

Personally I believe last year's draft filled a size void in the Flames' system and this year they'll be looking at a mix, with more emphasis on speed and skill.  With all our draft picks it'll be interesting to see if they stay the course and make all of the picks, or try to leverage some picks/prospects/players to upgrade the current line-up.

Byron has been a good player defensively, and apparently possession-wise, but his deficiencies on offence, especially the breakaways leave a bitter taste in the mouth i.e. wanting to keep him.  I believe they will re-sign him as a 13th forward and see if that can improve while we wait for some prospects to further develop and push him out later in the year or next.

Flames are caught in a conundrum right now, between skilled size and speed/skill/character.

I would agree with BB's assessment after the Anaheim series we need to get bigger(with skill) but BT made it clear size is fine but they also need to be able to skate and have skill(which I also agree with).  I think BT's comments were laying down the gauntlet to big players already in the system they need to work hard on their skating and that is going to be key to progressing far with the Flames.

Personally I believe last year's draft filled a size void in the Flames' system and this year they'll be looking at a mix, with more emphasis on speed and skill.  With all our draft picks it'll be interesting to see if they stay the course and make all of the picks, or try to leverage some picks/prospects/players to upgrade the current line-up.

Byron has been a good player defensively, and apparently possession-wise, but his deficiencies on offence, especially the breakaways leave a bitter taste in the mouth i.e. wanting to keep him.  I believe they will re-sign him as a 13th forward and see if that can improve while we wait for some prospects to further develop and push him out later in the year or next.

I agree with what you say about management putting the challenge out there for the bigger players to get more game or be gone. This is why I think they don't resign Byron. They need to start working in players such as Shore, Arnold, Poirier and Klimchuk over the course of next season. Players such as Bollig, Jones and Colborne will have to show they can contribute more consistently throughout a season.

I don't think there is any conundrum for the Flames at all, they've always maintained they need to get bigger but are not going to get bigger by acquiring a bunch of lugheads or at the sacrifice of speed. People take Burke's "truculence" comments and desires way too literally. If you look at teams he has built, namely Vancouver and Anaheim, he didn't go out and acquire guys that were big but couldn't play and play them in key roels. Sure he had his shares of goons occupying the 4th line but in his top 6 and his top 9 he builds them around the combination of size, speed and skill.

I don't think anything has changed whatsoever for the Flames, the reality is that finding players that have skill, speed AND size is just extremely difficult. They are a rare breed that don't come available often and when they do they are very expensive and that's the only reason the Flames aren't bigger imo. Smartly, they've decided they aren't going to overpay just for size.

This whole thing about needing to be competative by being bigger!! PFFFT!!!

Someone needs to tell that to Chicago 29th in the league in weight 21st in the league in height.

but you could see it during the SC series, how owned by Tampa they have been almost all the time.. almost as much as we`ve been owned by Anaheim.. ^_^

A team should have a good balance of needs and I think the Flames are getting there. The key for me when it comes to any player is do they have hockey smarts. You take Russell who isn't big but he sees the ice well and usually does the smart move. Then you take a Bollig or Jones and they don't utilize their size where and when they should 100%. Hopefully, they learned something watching Ferland.

I dont think the suggestion to get rid of byron is necessarily that he isent big. Its more to do with the fact that he doesnt really fit in the bottom 6 and hes not good enough offensively to play top 6. So likes its been said he may end up the 13th forward.

Another thing to note is that Anaheim is also a more skilled hockey team then we are. They arent just big, their top 2 centres are better then our top 2, and on it goes. They were stomping on us with their skill but there was some moments were size played a factor. 

I dont think the suggestion to get rid of byron is necessarily that he isent big. Its more to do with the fact that he doesnt really fit in the bottom 6 and hes not good enough offensively to play top 6. So likes its been said he may end up the 13th forward.

Another thing to note is that Anaheim is also a more skilled hockey team then we are. They arent just big, their top 2 centres are better then our top 2, and on it goes. They were stomping on us with their skill but there was some moments were size played a factor. 

Undoubtedly ANA had the more experienced team.

This whole thing about needing to be competative by being bigger!! PFFFT!!!

Someone needs to tell that to Chicago 29th in the league in weight 21st in the league in height.

Again where I think the concept of "size" and "truculence" gets misconstrued. Chicago isn't very big by a measurable perspective but every see them get pushed around like the Ducks pushed the Flames around? Size to me is more then just height and weights its an attitude and to me the idea of the Flames getting "bigger" just means they need to be harder to play against not necessarily just get a few inches taller and a few pounds heavier.

I agree with Burke's stance on winning a cup. At some point during the playoffs you need to beat a team more skilled then you, you need to win a series with your special teams and at some point you are going to have to win a series but playing a big mans game. Right now I don't think the Flames are capable of playing a big mans game and that needs to be addressed, but as has been said all along that doesn't mean just going out and getting some guys that are big, tall or thick just so their size measurable look better.

It's like what Treliving said about having to give up Hudler in a trade, it would take a lot, as he has 1 year left, and he means a lot to building the character of our core. Are the beginning pieces of the core group ready to take the leap on their own? Or is one more year of Hudler still invaluable to this group that it will take that much more to part ways with him?

Archived