Suggestion: Cody Hodgson

AlbertaBoy12

I'd be sniffing around him if he got bought out.  If you subscribe to the buy low/sell high school of thought, now would be the time to take a good, long look at him. 

It's funny how things can change with some of these players.  In junior, I would've projected him to be a team captain in the NHL.  Now his character seems to be the largest area of concern.

Everyone seems to forget about his 6 goals in 7 games for TC last spring when playing in games that mattered.  I find this player intriguing.  If push came to shove, would I commit to the 4yr and 19M still owed to him?  I doubt it. 

Everyone seems to forget about his 6 goals in 7 games for TC last spring when playing in games that mattered.  I find this player intriguing.  If push came to shove, would I commit to the 4yr and 19M still owed to him?  I doubt it. 

6 goals, 8 points in 8 games. Picking nit. :)

The WC is a tournament where the best of the willing NA players from eliminated NHL teams play against Euros (their season ends earlier) reinforced by players eliminated from NHL play.

It's not something to take any more seriously than a fringe NHLer tearing it up in a Euro league. Different ice size & different rules.

The women playing for TC & the USA put up good #s & play a more complete game. That doesn't translate well to the NHL either.

Best I'd do for Hodgson is a training camp invite. If he earns a spot it's great.

If a 2 way show me contract with lesser AHL $s he's callup depth but to me that's his worth. I've seen better 25 year olds not landing contracts but doing well in Europe where the game suits their play.

• 5 weeks later...

So now thats hes officially being bought out. Im wondering if the flames still take an interest in him kinda like setoguchi last season. I would be interested on a 1 year prove it contract.

I stand by a traing camp invite to see if he earns a spot away from 1 of our prospects.

Otherwise he's just a waste of a roster spot like Setoguchi was.

Flames should have no interest. This is the 2nd time a team is basically giving up on a player as talented as Hodgson and you have to ask yourself why. He complained his way out of Vancouver and now has complained his way out of Buffalo too, his attitude is a serious questions mark for me and with how important culture is to this team he just doesn't fit. I don't care if he would sign a minimum NHL deal I want to part of Hodgson and his attitude especially considering he doesn't fill a need at all.

Flames should have no interest. This is the 2nd time a team is basically giving up on a player as talented as Hodgson and you have to ask yourself why. He complained his way out of Vancouver and now has complained his way out of Buffalo too, his attitude is a serious questions mark for me and with how important culture is to this team he just doesn't fit. I don't care if he would sign a minimum NHL deal I want to part of Hodgson and his attitude especially considering he doesn't fill a need at all.

I might whine my way off of those two teams myself. LOL

He can play RW and is RH shot, so there is a need. I wouldnt doubt if we dont make a trade in the offseason or sign someone we invite him to camp at least.

Thing is you just never know why performances fluctuate with some players. You always hear this guy or that guy needs a change of scenery. We are weak on RW for scoring and until Poirier knocks the door down I wouldn't be afraid of Hodgson on a 1 year show me deal or as FF said invite him to camp.

He can play RW and is RH shot, so there is a need. I wouldnt doubt if we dont make a trade in the offseason or sign someone we invite him to camp at least.

We have multiple RW and RS prospects ready or nearly ready to go, as well as several players that can play the position. IF he was high potential and proven he might be of interest, but since he is neither and already PROVEN he is a problem player and can't even stick with the worst team in the league he is and should be a non-starter.

I realize it is a quiet time for Flames hockey fans, but really, we want to IMPROVE the team, not be a reclamation spot for problem players while at the same time clogging spots for up and coming prospects.

To further the discussion, we have both Poirier, a high-potential, high-scoring very fast and gritty RW basically at the threshold. He should be our prime focus for the next RW spot.

We also have a huge, physical RW who can score who just won a Memorial Cup championship, and he should be next.

We have multiple RW and RS prospects ready or nearly ready to go, as well as several players that can play the position. IF he was high potential and proven he might be of interest, but since he is neither and already PROVEN he is a problem player and can't even stick with the worst team in the league he is and should be a non-starter.

I realize it is a quiet time for Flames hockey fans, but really, we want to IMPROVE the team, not be a reclamation spot for problem players while at the same time clogging spots for up and coming prospects.

To further the discussion, we have both Poirier, a high-potential, high-scoring very fast and gritty RW basically at the threshold. He should be our prime focus for the next RW spot.

We also have a huge, physical RW who can score who just won a Memorial Cup championship, and he should be next.

Who are you refering to? We have Jones, Hudler, Jorris, Shore and colborne at the NHL level. 3 of those guys are natural centres, and yes we could move them to the wing, also two of them shoot left. Poirer is the only guy in our system whos close to ready on the RW and he also shoots left. Smith, Hanowski, other prospects arent close to ready. So adding another guy on a 1 year deal or a camp tryout isent going to kill anyone.

Who are you refering to? We have Jones, Hudler, Jorris, Shore and colborne at the NHL level. 3 of those guys are natural centres, and yes we could move them to the wing, also two of them shoot left. Poirer is the only guy in our system whos close to ready on the RW and he also shoots left. Smith, Hanowski, other prospects arent close to ready. So adding another guy on a 1 year deal or a camp tryout isent going to kill anyone.

You do know Hodgson is a natural center too right?

The whole right handed shot thing is really overrated. I'm not picking up a guy with an attitude like Hodgson just because he shoots right handed. Means something on the back end but not up front near as much imo.

I concur. Especially now that we've just signed another RHS attitude problem to a coveted long term cap-friendly deal on the back end.

#nocody

Love.

You do know Hodgson is a natural center too right?

The whole right handed shot thing is really overrated. I'm not picking up a guy with an attitude like Hodgson just because he shoots right handed. Means something on the back end but not up front near as much imo.

I do know that. I stand by what I said that I wouldnt be suprised if he got an invite to camp or a 1 year contract.

If there are attitude problems I don't even see the Flames inviting him to camp on a try out. The Flames have worked hard on building a culture and I'm sure if their scouting is sound there is a lengthy book on Hodgson and how he is not a fit for this team.

I'm not a big Hodgson fan, never have been. He was the Canucks' Sven Baertschi. Lots of hype but no game. So I say no to bringing this guy in.

I don't see BT trying any more reclamation projects, at least not expensive ones.

The Flames need to graduate a few players from Stockton each season to continue to bring in economical salaries, so that the young core can get their raises over the next 2 - 3 years.

Last year was an aberration in that regard, at times we had six rookies in the line-up.

I'm not a fan of reclamation projects in general. Admitedy he is coming from the most deliberately tanking team in the past few years, so that is a factor.

That said, at Center we have Monahan, Bennet, Backlund, Stajan, Jooris, Colborne, Shore, Granlund. Shore and Colborne already mostly playing RW. (Also technically Hudler is a centerman for those who forgot).

Trying to convert someone with already declining numbers isn't something I like. I'd rather use some of our expiring assets and maybe a prospect and pick to find an actual RW in trade once the free-agency insanity dies down in 3-4 weeks.

If he wants to come to camp on a tryout and shows he can play RW in a top 9 role? Ok, I'm interested. Otherwise not a chance.

Im not interested. When he came to Buffalo people thought he was really gonna be a great addition but then it went down hill very fast. His attitude was one of his biggest problems. Nolan constantly argued with him about being lazy and being a defensive liability. It later led to being benched and a healthy scratch.

His contract was another head scratcher. Never understood why he was signed to that crazy contract that he never really earned in the first place.

We really don't need anyone who is lazy on this team let alone not gonna play both ends of the ice. This just sounds like trouble and Id rather stay away.

Archived