Suggestion: Cody Hodgson

AlbertaBoy12

Was just reading that there is potential he could be bought out this offseason. Hes a rhs, whos still on 25 years old with some potential. He had a terrible season this year, but im wondering if he is bought out does anyone think there is enough potential there to warrant a prove it contract. Could end up being a hidden gem for us, or we could end up burying him in the minors if he doesnt pan out. Any ideas?

Personally I am not a fan of Hogdson. Twice now when things around him have gotten tough he's folded. Rather then play his way onto the team in Vancouver he complained and demanded a trade and then when things got tough in Buffalo he complained again and folded. I don't think he has what it takes between the ears to be a pro.

I've given it a little thought & concluded that a bought out UFA Cody Hodgson it not worth our while.

IMO just a younger Mason Raymond.

If unsigned by training camp I'd offer him a chance to come to camp in hopes of earning a contract but wouldn't offer 1 unless he outplayed our current players & possibles.

I've given it a little thought & concluded that a bought out UFA Cody Hodgson it not worth our while.

IMO just a younger Mason Raymond.

If unsigned by training camp I'd offer him a chance to come to camp in hopes of earning a contract but wouldn't offer 1 unless he outplayed our current players & possibles.

That is reasonable.  Don't know what his issue is.

BMO is the only ex-Nuck that I have liked playing for the Flames to date...

Did Cody Hodgson not have a season the Sabers were hoping for?  Management did what they could to lose and the fans showed up and cheered for loses.  Cody did his part and collected 13 points.  It was a perfect year for BUF, right up until they lost the McD sweepstakes.

BUF needs a goaltender, if they’ve seen enough of Cody then I’d offer up Hiller (after quietly resigning Ramo) and a prospect and hope Hodgson reaches the 20 goal plateau again in relatively short order. 

Low risk, high reward?  The Canucks would love us. :lol:

If you ignore last season and look at his first three seasons in Buffalo he was a 0.6 point per game C. That puts him in second among Flames centres and not far behind Monahan. And ignoring last season isn't a stretch given what happened in Buffalo.

But the Flames don't need him. We are deep with depth players at the position and I don't like Hodgsons overall play. Plus of Buffalo is buying you out you really have issues.

I don't think it would be a bad option if we were in a similar position as we were a couple of years ago. But not now. He is an unnecessary reclamation project.

Did Cody Hodgson not have a season the Sabers were hoping for?  Management did what they could to lose and the fans showed up and cheered for loses.  Cody did his part and collected 13 points.  It was a perfect year for BUF, right up until they lost the McD sweepstakes.

BUF needs a goaltender, if they’ve seen enough of Cody then I’d offer up Hiller (after quietly resigning Ramo) and a prospect and hope Hodgson reaches the 20 goal plateau again in relatively short order. 

Low risk, high reward?  The Canucks would love us. :wacko:

Change that to high risk, possible reward. More likely the Canucks would rofl.

Hodgson hit 20 goals once. 1 freaking time!

You want to give them the guy that is still our #1 goaltender & a prospect in hopes he'll see 20 goals again other than when he's scrolling through stats pages.

4.5 x 4 of Hodgson (who we don't need) @ vs 1 year of Hiller (who we do) @ 4.5 while adding a Flames prospect.

As Jeff Foxworthy said in 1 of his routines "Here's your sign". :wacko: (Carty, DD might be persuaded to find that clip. :) )

I’m not sure how or if Cody could fit in here but there’s no arguing the kid has talent.  Right age group too.  Rather than watching our 1A/1B goaltender walk, maybe turn the expiring asset into a trade token and acquire a young NHL centerman who has proven he can score 20 in this league?  He has 4 years remaining on his relatively expensive deal.  His first year here would essentially cancel the Hiller $$ turning it into a 3 yr deal.   It might work, but he would have to bump somebody and I haven't given much thought as to that somebody is.

Not sure how we got from a one year trial contract post buyout to giving up actual valuable assets to take on 4 more years of his 4 million per contract.

If we were to trade for him (and we shouldn't IMO) I would want Buffalo to give us something of value for taking the contract off their hands. I am certainly not giving them our best goalie to do it.

I'm with the "not a chance" crowd. We have no need for everyone else's scraps, we've done our purgatory of "reclamations".

Good luck to the guy, but put him with Schenn as, "this isn't the club of 3rd chances", is how I feel about it.

Time to look forward.

Not sure how we got from a one year trial contract post buyout to giving up actual valuable assets to take on 4 more years of his 4 million per contract.

If we were to trade for him (and we shouldn't IMO) I would want Buffalo to give us something of value for taking the contract off their hands. I am certainly not giving them our best goalie to do it.

You’re not getting Cody on a 1 yr trial deal, someone is going to step up with a sweeter deal.

I would not consider VAN a lost chance, he left VAN at the altar, which by the way I do consider a big X against him.  He then played for a team with management that favored tanking over winning.

History tells us that coach Nolan and Cody were not a perfect match.

Is Hillier our best goalie?

How many LW prospects from Stockton are going to make this team in the next few years?

I believe Ortio has the ability to play here next season, well that’s what we paying him to do.

I won’t die arguing this discussion but I wouldn’t write it off so quickly.

You’re not getting Cody on a 1 yr trial deal, someone is going to step up with a sweeter deal.

I would not consider VAN a lost chance, he left VAN at the altar, which by the way I do consider a big X against him.  He then played for a team with management that favored tanking over winning.

History tells us that coach Nolan and Cody were not a perfect match.

Is Hillier our best goalie?

How many LW prospects from Stockton are going to make this team in the next few years?

I believe Ortio has the ability to play here next season, well that’s what we paying him to do.

I won’t die arguing this discussion but I wouldn’t write it off so quickly.

Why all the love for an ex-Nuck?  Ask most Nuck fans and they would probably say good riddance.

Is he a LW or a RHS center?  Either of those were are stocked with.  We have many in the pipeline; Agostino, Klimchuk, Arnold, Janko... As far as Ortio goes, he hasn't even made the team, so don't be so sure he will.  We are paying him the 2nd year of a 2 year deal, which just happens to be a 1-way deal.

Hes a RHS centre, and the only two im aware of in the pipeline are Arnold and Shore. If he is bought out it could be a no risk move for us almost like the setoguchi move last season, I would be 100% ok with it.

Don't remind me of the Gooch.

If you consider him as a center, where does he fit in the depth chart?  Pushing Backlund down?  Moving Sam to the wing, when his best position is at center?

BTW, a bought out player is not going to be free.  He may not be high in demand, but lots of teams may be interested in a obtaining a center for nothing more than salary.  Expect a multi-year deal somewhere.

If he isn't bought out, he isn't even worth a low-cost trade, in my opinion.  On a last-place team, he couldn't even stay in the line-up.

Pass.

He could play RW, there is nothing stopping him. As others said we could even bring him into camp on a try out. Im curious why you would pass on a 25 year old player who has shown potential if we can get him on a 1 year prove it contract.

His career reminds me a bit of the Gooch; good numbers and then falling off a cliff.

If he comes to us for nothing on a 1-year deal, then the question is does he fit?  If he has motivation issues or team issues, then he won't make it out of camp.  If his effort is less than 100%, he will be passed by Flames rookies trying to make the team; we have enough of them.

With our current stable of prospects who need to be evaluated in the NHL (or AHL), I am reluctant to take on another reclamation project.  The Gooch showed nothing in camp last year, but was given enough rope to show how useless he really was.  He was demoted and took up a roster spot, as well as a spot on the Heat.

Talent aside, Hogdson is not a fit at all for what the Flames organization has built. "Every game matters" and "always earned never given" have not exactly defined Hogdson's career, so even on a trial basis I just don't think he is a good fit for this organization right now on multiple levels even if you got him on a "trial" basis which I'm not so sure you would. I certainly am not giving up any assets for him at all.

I'd be sniffing around him if he got bought out.  If you subscribe to the buy low/sell high school of thought, now would be the time to take a good, long look at him. 

It's funny how things can change with some of these players.  In junior, I would've projected him to be a team captain in the NHL.  Now his character seems to be the largest area of concern.

I'd be sniffing around him if he got bought out.  If you subscribe to the buy low/sell high school of thought, now would be the time to take a good, long look at him. 

It's funny how things can change with some of these players.  In junior, I would've projected him to be a team captain in the NHL.  Now his character seems to be the largest area of concern.

If character is a concern, why would you even consider him?  The things that made CGY successful this year included character and culture.  Why mess with that for a marginal star.  Marginal, as in he may never actually become one based on his record.

I never said I had concerns about his character.  I'd take a shot at him if I thought I could get a bargain.  I bet someone gives him a sweetheart deal if he gets bought out.

sure sounds like you said that to me :wacko:

Archived