George Strombolopolous as hockey host

conundrumed

Prolly spelled his name wrong, however...

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Quite frankly, he's an easy guy to make fun of.

But at the end of the day, he was a good interviewer and now I actually like him as the host.

He doesn't know the game well enough to the other guys in the room, he just draws the topics around the table.

I like that, hockey brainiacs can get annoying.

TSN's host at the round table was a rarely serious smartass, now that was painful.

I like Strombo just being a host and not pretending to be a hockey genius.

I think he helps make hockey accessible to people that aren't great with the rule book.

The talking heads typically go full tunnel vision, I believe he does a good job taking the edge off of talking hockey being too hardcore for the avg fan.

My opinion of the whole HNIC thing is that it was designed to fail. Take a media giant, give them a winning formula for providing a weekly set of games to long-standing Canadian hockey viewers, and see what they do.

• Bring in a host that appeals to a younger crowd, but forget that the younger crowd grew up with HNIC
  • Throw down a plastic "ice surface" and a net, give the talking heads a stick, let them talk about hockey
  • Relegate a popular host to a trailer somewhere in Canada...
  • Bring in annoying people like Chris Simpson to talk to players with a voice that takes rust off car
  • Have so many people discussing the previous period that each one gets about 15 seconds to make a point

I tend to be a traditionalist but from the limited amount of Saturdays that I was able to watch, I kind of enjoyed Strombo as HNIC host.  My dad hates him.  :P 

I miss After Hours too.  That was usually a fun segment after the game but I guess it can get old after awhile.

I think he is absolutely terrible; a total disgrace to the game of ice hockey and humanity more generally. It was nice, however, that he thought Johnny G might win the Calder Cup this year (not the trophy, the actual Cup). I cannot stand his lame attempts to be youthful, hip, and trendy. I half expect him to pull out a Blue Moon, chow down on some tofu, and talk about his deep, complicated feelings during discussions. Face it Strombo, you are my age. You are not exactly a spring chicken anymore, so deal with it. Below is a list of people I would rather have than Strombo. Feel free to add to the list if you wish.

Chad Kroeger.

The creepy tween down the street who spies on women through windows with a drone.

Elizabeth May.

Hitler.

Karla Homolka.

My ex who took a bunch of my stuff.

Not that I have any serious thoughts about the matter.  :mad:

Love Strombo.

His style and ability to keep the discussion moving and flowing is so underrated and unappreciated by everyone that is bristled with fear of change (^cowtownguy is perfect example of ridiculously silly people can be)...  

He also brings the regular guy/fan element to the broadcast - he's just a regular hockey fan like the rest of Canada as opposed to another panel expert.  The mix of the panel is as good as it's ever been in terms of the discussion that takes place..

When Strombo was first announced to replace Ron McLean, I admit I was hesitant.  After watching this season, I became a fan.  I'm right there with DL44.....I enjoy watching "average Joe Hockey Fan amongst 'experts'".

Sure, the segments can be painful to watch or listen to sometimes, but that's to be expected for a first-season run-through.  I don't doubt for a moment that the producers and panelists are reviewing things this summer, and making changes where they think they need them.

Id actually prefer someone who was more knowledgeable about hockey to host the panel but thats just me, then again I think the vast majority of panelists are biased or just play devils advocate.

Agreed, and I am not really big on the way they play different roles like that. I am not sure how to describe it, but I like things "grittier".

I've got a great recipe for tofu.

Step 1: Toss tofu in the garbage

Step 2: Grill a steak

I wish to subscribe to your food website.

Love Strombo.

His style and ability to keep the discussion moving and flowing is so underrated and unappreciated by everyone that is bristled with fear of change (^cowtownguy is perfect example of ridiculously silly people can be)...  

He also brings the regular guy/fan element to the broadcast - he's just a regular hockey fan like the rest of Canada as opposed to another panel expert.  The mix of the panel is as good as it's ever been in terms of the discussion that takes place..

I actually think Hextall does a better job than Strombo at keeping the discussion going. I am not fearful of change, I just don't like the way they appear to be copying NFL productions. From the fake rink to the "puck" that goes into the slot machine for some reason, everything is super slick, fake, and scripted. There is so much experience on the panels, that discussions would be better if they were genuine and sincere. Anyways, I just count myself lucky that Ghomeshi won't be hosting.

I like George. I like the way that he comes off as just a big fan of hockey and he really enjoys the opportunity he has to host HNIC.

It is a big change going from Ron McLean who is a great hockey historian and had more stories to tell than most of the analysts.

Can we get someone else to do the Flames games other than Leah Hextall. She seems very nice, and I can't really put my finger on why I find her slightly annoying, but I just do.

I like George. I like the way that he comes off as just a big fan of hockey and he really enjoys the opportunity he has to host HNIC.

It is a big change going from Ron McLean who is a great hockey historian and had more stories to tell than most of the analysts.

Can we get someone else to do the Flames games other than Leah Hextall. She seems very nice, and I can't really put my finger on why I find her slightly annoying, but I just do.

Leah is a younger version of Christine Simpson.  Every time she did the interviews during the Flames playoff series, I wanted to scream.  Chris is like somebody's older sister, who knows nothing about hockey.  Her voice goes through me to the point where I can't even watch the segment.  Leah has a whiny naisal voice that is like a dentist drill.  Her only saving grace is that she is a Flames fan.

I have to respectfully disagree with Travel and JTech. Although I agree that Christine Simpson is average to poor, I find Leah knowledgeable and entertaining (happy). I think she has done an excellent job. Whiny voice and all. She can't do much about that though can she. That's like complaining about Loubo's voice even though the guy is a bucket of info and that's what I listen for to begin with. I understand your complaints though.

He is in way over his head.

Frankly you can see he is being coached and still not helping.

HNIC could have done so much better.

I think Michael Landsberg is by far the best sports interviewer in Canada. I know he's TSN, but $$TALKS! Strombo adds little to the show, though he isn't dislikeable.

I have to respectfully disagree with Travel and JTech. Although I agree that Christine Simpson is average to poor, I find Leah knowledgeable and entertaining (happy). I think she has done an excellent job. Whiny voice and all. She can't do much about that though can she. That's like complaining about Loubo's voice even though the guy is a bucket of info and that's what I listen for to begin with. I understand your complaints though.

I was complaining more about Christine Simpson.  I can't even watch her, let alone listen to her.  Leah's whiny voice is annoying, but as I said, she is a Flames fan and covers all their games.  I can at least put up with her.

George S is just a hip guy to try and get the "young" crowd interested.  I don't think he adds anything to the discussion, because his observations are something you could read on twitter.  Most of the CBC viewers grew up on HNIC, with all its warts.  Things like "After 40 Minutes", extended Coach's Corner (not the abbreviated version where Ron and Don fight to say anything worthwhile), After Hours...

This is all the doing of the new rights holder.  They think they know what works, but quality is very low since they have taken over. 

Archived