Babcock New Leafs Coach

The_People1

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=768357

8-years $50-mil

Toronto is arguably the toughest place to coach in the league.  You can't just be good at coaching but you have to also be good with the media.  He's also dealing with very difficult personalities like Phaneuf, Kessel, etc.  If he was looking for a challenge, he found one.  It's going to be interesting to see if he can turn the Leafs into a Cup contender.

I smell a head on collision coming with Babcock running over Kessel and Phaneuf.

He's coached the likes of Selanne, Niedermeir, Yzerman, Datsyuk, Lidstrom.

This should be fun to watch.

Can't wait until Kessel shows up at camp in low-to-negative energy mode claiming it's okay because he's a goal scorer.

Babcock does not let business escape him at the best of times.

He won't be controlled by Kessel, no how.

This'll be interesting.

Interesting choice for sure because of all the team rumored to be interested Toronto is by far the biggest project IMO. Looks and sounds like they gave him the biggest combination of money, security, and team input however so not overly surprised they got him based on all of that.

I'm not a huge believer a coach can make that much difference in a team but this certainly gives the Leafs a lot of stability at the top and at least some belief things can get better soon. Going to make them more attractive to players again.

For some reason, I figured that he would stay in Detroit. Most people find the organization good to deal with and his family has lived there for some time. I also thought that Toronto is too much of a nuthouse. That city has chewed up as many goalies as Edmonton has #1 overall picks!

With this choice it seems to me he wants a challenge...

You think he did it for the challenge?  Almost $6M/yr and summer vacation starts in April.

Perhaps he meant that a monkey could have had success with DET & the Cdn Olympic team.

Let's wait & see how successful he is working with a team on the ropes with difficult players & fans that will eat you alive.

This is a gamechanger. Just the way everything happened, the drama, the big time dollar amount. The Lebron James "decision" type feel. You could have made a reality TV show about it and this signals that coaches have now arrived at the same level as players.

This is high risk high reward move for Babcock. If he leads Toronto to a cup in the next eight years, he will be considered a god. They will probably change Yonge Street to Babcock Street if that happens.

Toronto is one of the more broken teams in the league.  Their core is bad.  I don't like their depth.  I don't like them at any position.  Their prospect pool is limited.  They are invested in most of their players long term.  That includes having the Horton cap shackle on the books.  

If you look at Buffalo at least you can say they have some really good prospects and a lot of picks.  Edmonton has some good young kids and they won McDavid.  

There are a few other teams that don't look great.  Arizona has a lot of building to do.  Carolina has too much money in a rotten core.  New Jersey is in a similar situation.  But Toronto is near the top of the list in terms of teams in long term trouble.  

Babcock chased the money.  

I think most of us would choose the Loto Max over the 649.

Yes it’s averages $6.25/yr but its front loaded as well, meaning Mike is now making Kessel $$’s in the first few years.  It instantly changes the dynamics between coach and player.  Good move by the TML’s.

Kessel will no longer be telling his coach to GO STICK IT because he doesn't play that way or because he makes 4 times the coin as coach does, which he is rumored to have done in the past. 

Can you smell the burning rubber?   I bet it’s Kessel, right now on the stationary bike.

Figured he would stay with the Wings, but the Leafs offered him a stupid amount. I dont see this really working out well. The Leafs, if they are smart, are 2-3 years away from being a solid team. I dont see ownership or the fans allowing that type of rebuild to happen. 

Zirk touches on a good point. The Leafs have shown zero patience towards a proper rebuild in the past. It burned them. They have finally gotten sign off on a rebuild and they give 50 million to Babcock.

Does that pressure them back into win now mode? Keep in mind that Babcock said he was going to insist on have roster input. He is an anti rebuild coach if there ever was one.

No question that the leafs historically have been against a proper and thorough rebuild, but to give shanahan credit he has been very consistent in saying this is a process. Now of course he can just be paying lip service and when push comes to shove rush things but he is saying the right things right now. At his post season press conference something really stuck with me when he said the problems that have been plaguing the leafs was not having a plan it was sticking to a plan and that he was committed to sticking to a plan.

Proof will come later but I get the sense that the leafs hired Shanahan for reasons similar to why the flames hired Burke and that's that they wanted someone to put out in front of the team and create a plan and keep t hem honest to a plan and stop with the mini rebuilds every 2-3 years because they have a new gm/coach.

I agree Cross. And it still may be the case. I just think it will be interesting if they can stick to their guns with Babcock at the helm.

I am sure they are tempted to see if Babcock can turn players like Kessel and Phaneuf around. I am sure Babcock wants that chance. I doubt he wants to see the team torn down.

I think the leafs would be smart to let Babcock coach these guys off at least the start of the year and truly see what they've got. There is talent in Toronto they didn't suck last year because they lack talent get sucked because they lack leadership and teamwork. Babcock can help in that department but I agree let him go in there and see what you are working with. If Kessel truly is undoachable let him find out, or let him find out first hand if Dion is a problem in the locker room. I'm a big believer that both Kessel and Phaneuf are tradable and in fact both have pretty good trade values that likely are not going to depreciate if they stay leafs for a season or until next years deadline or something.

It will be interesting for sure. Again today Babcock and Shanny are saying all the right things about the process and the plan so I agree while it all sounds good we have heard it before. Sounds like Babcock was actually going to say no to the job unless th eh could assure him thy wouldn't deviate from their plan so they've set themselves up to be able to do it, but have to follow through.

I rarely recall a moment Babcock actually smiles behind the bench.

I have no doubt in listening to Shanny's "honest approach" that Babcock was given some free reign in the negotiations.

It's gonna get sour quick, methinks.

Hard to imagine Kessel making his camp debut like last year's. Babcock will chew him up and spit him out. I guarantee it.

Welcome to boot camp TML.

TML's master plan at its best.  "Just throw money at it"

541f11e6a55ad6951b4fb65780fa7988.png

The unfortunate part is that with every bad move TML's make, it sets the bar higher for the remaining clubs that are trying to do good business.

More that half the leagues defense men think they are worth 7 mil now because of the Phaneuf deal.

Any RW that scores 25 goals thinks they are worth 8 mil now.  (ie. Kessel)

Every coach in the league is going to want a 200-300% raise, not that they are not worth it.

Bob Hartley (Jack Adams Candidate) must be looking at his 5 yr deal and saying "Man I Got Ripped".

Apparently the Sabres offered the same contract Babcock signed with Toronto and Detroit was prepared to go that high with their money but not the term. Can't blame the leafs for paying what other teams were offering and quite frankly I think it's time coaches in the NHL got paid. If you look at what NHL coaches make relative to other sports and it's pretty ridiculous. Up until today the top NHL coach make 3 million where the top NBA coach, similar league revenues I might add, made 11 mill. I think coaches are worth more then you think and this proves that IMO.

Check out the NHL median ticket pricing from a couple seasons ago.  This was before the TML’s signed Phaneuf to $49M, before assuming Horton’s uninsured $26M and before signing a coach to $50M.  Last season was the first year in recent time (maybe ever) that they never had sell outs and their 48 yr SC drought certainly has no end in sight.  From a fans perspective, this team has been a failure in every measurable way, however the shareholders have done well.

-------
Babcock is a good coach but I predict he has already coached his last game for any future Team Canada, meaning he is on his way down.  The TML organization will drag him into the quagmire like every coach before him, making him look very ordinary.  At least he’s getting paid.

0f5b29c21584fce4795e36230c4b3bf7.png

Detroit's my #2 team.

I wonder if Mike has really considered that he can't go out in public anymore without a disguise.

Grocery shopping, furniture shopping...stop in for a bagel.

He's going to find a lot of loss of freedoms as the most recognizable face in Toronto.

"I'm not dead yet"...hmmm, maybe. But you're about to feel like you're in hiding.

Apparently the Sabres offered the same contract Babcock signed with Toronto and Detroit was prepared to go that high with their money but not the term. Can't blame the leafs for paying what other teams were offering and quite frankly I think it's time coaches in the NHL got paid. If you look at what NHL coaches make relative to other sports and it's pretty ridiculous. Up until today the top NHL coach make 3 million where the top NBA coach, similar league revenues I might add, made 11 mill. I think coaches are worth more then you think and this proves that IMO.

Yes as a coach berating a 2nd/3rd player making twice as much is a strange scene but it should a double edged sword. Since we have a cap on players salaries set 1 for management as rich teams can simply outbid the rest like they used to do for players.

Needs are a PoHO, GM & his assistants, a coach & his assistants & a head scout & his minions. Set it as something like 1/3 - 1/2  the salary cap & make those promoted but retained to provide that spot have their salaries apply to that hit. It's unlikely Shanahan hired a coach to make more than he does while still lacking a GM. Like when you build a roster you sacrifice bottom end to have top people but you still need good 1s to fill out that bottom end.

Since this thread is about Babcock to the Leafs I highly recommend the Grantland/DGB interview take. :)

A good criticism from the Cow Sun yesterday :lol: :

Babcock calls Leafs Canada's team?!? - Todd Saelhof, Calgary Sun - May 21, 2015

[Abridged]
The Toronto Maple Leafs: Canada’s Team?
Wait a minute, Mr. Babcock.
Did we miss something here?
The last time we checked on the Maple Leafs there was not much cheer from Canadians — and mostly because there’s been nothing to cheer about in decades.

Here are five reasons why the Maple Leafs just aren’t Canada’s Team …

5. An Original Six Stanley Cup doesn’t count any more
4. There’s no promise of anything to cheer on
3. Canadians are tough
2. You’ve coached Canada’s team, Mr. Babcock
1. Most of us Canadians really don’t care about the Leafs

Canadians deserve a better bunch to consider as Canada’s Team.

Saw this tweeted after the Babcock signing...I think it clearly identifies how Toronto edged Buffalo in the Babcock sweepstakes :)

MLSE: We’ll give you $5M.

Pegula: So will we.

MLSE: Input on the roster.

Pegula: Us too!

MLSE: Plus every spring off.

Pegula: Wait what?

Archived