What about Perry's Imbellishment ?

zima

Ok Im sure im not the sharpest tool in this shed but common even I could see Perry's embellishment He gets a hip check and I watch it slow mo on my PVR and it is clearly a hip check Perry flops around like a fish out of water comes back from the hall with out even a limp. After he see's there is not going to be a penalty he is fine and says he walked it off please what a embarrassing moment I hope Cherry has the guts to say something on national tv next game where was his penalty? 

I'll admit I was thinking embellishment at first too.  Point of contact was indeed the hip but after watching the replay a few times I noticed how his knee hyperextended.  I believe it was the same knee that Perry injured earlier in the season.  So Perry was probably freaked out that he'd injured his knee again, hence his reaction.  Then he comes back to play in the third and Flames fans are crying foul.  But keep in mind that it's the playoffs and players will play through a lot of stuff in the playoffs.  Maybe his knee IS injured but not enough to keep him out of a playoff game.  Freeze it up, tape it up, do whatever it takes, get back on the ice.

And for the record, I don't believe there was any intent on Stajan's part.  He's not that kind of player and by the time he saw the collision coming it was too late to get out of the way.

From what I gather, it was not the same knee he injured before and it was clearly an embellishment. He will have to deal with the refs later for that one. Having said that, I believe he did experience some pain and given he has injured the other knee before, he was likely freaking. Hyperextensions are quite painful and difficult to know how serious they may be. 

Sorry I watched it a few times in slow mo and yes he did look like he might a extended it a bit but you can clearly see he was looking for a knee on knee penalty. If he had come back and perhaps sat on the Bench and looked in pain then maybe but the way he crawled off the ice then hoped on 1 leg he should have been out for at least the rest of the period but nope right back at her . The interview later seemed to me he had a hard time trying to say he was hurt but that probably is just me. Again I hope Don Cherry says something

I have to say while my first reaction was embellishment, upon further review I don't think it really was. If he was trying to embellish to get a call he stays on the ice and shows the refs how much pain he is in. I think the fact that he got off the ice so quickly tells me it both stung him and scared him so he thought the worst. I'm not a huge Perry fan and its tough giving him the benefit of the doubt but in this case I will.

As some one who has had this happen to them, if he hyper extended his leg there is no way he comes back. Did it sting most likely, but he did look like a soccer player looking for a call. Look at Rozival breaks his ankle and still tries to get up and back in the play. Perry acted  like he was shot with a shotgun, no call is hauled off to come back by some miracle to returns, yup class act.

I thought it was a War of 1812 re-enactment myself. But it doesn't matter. Perry finds the line and plays on it. Good for him. If you can play to your advantage you're stupid not to, it's the playoffs. That's why he's a seasoned vet.

People love to hate Perry, so he must be good lol

There is a lot to say about this pal.

The Flames resilience in facing their opposition was the most prominent along with their propensity to react with personality.  Although inaccuracies had been apparent to err is human; and blaming our own for their flaws is inherent; and little do we perceive the pivotal role environmental factors play in predicting outcomes?  Inferential statistics and coincidental facts (in round 2) have raised skepticism making an eclectic perspective an integral aspect for drawing conclusions (about the Anaheim/Flames series). 

Observation #1.  Game 3.  The Flames propensity to challenge the opposition against all odds and accomplish a victory had rattled the opposition beyond comprehension.  The rink had been chaotic - enthusiastic fans were celebrating, the OT winner was being interviewed and players were busy thanking their fans while Ryan Getzlaf was simultaneously engrossed in discussions with the referee: a fact that had gone awry with the electrifying closure.  What discussions were taking place on ice at the time? 

Observation #2.  An identical occurrence was also apparent during Game 5 (Getzlaf was having friendly discussions with the refs).  Of note:  Aren’t officials on ice supposed to remain impartial? 

Also of noteworthy are the events that took place after the game 3.  Calgary Flames website substantiated the attribution of awards to the following members of the Calgary Flames.

a.      Johnny Gaudreau for Calder

b.      Jiri Hudler for Lady Byng

c.       Bob Hartley for Jack Adams. 

d.      Brian Burke for Calgary pride parade

e.      Mark Giordano for NHL foundation player award

The above mentioned are worthy of recognition, but why the sudden recognition?  Based on strength of correlation between events, schemas and the clustering of events it is easy to interpret that these acknowledgments were merely attempts of reconciliation, compensation, bartering or assigning a consolation price.  No matter how one looks at it, the prominent personality in discussion is the Flames bench boss. Evidently, a diehard fan, sport critique or commentator can generate a high volume book with words of gratitude for Bob Hartley’s contribution to his team; and he is entitled to have the world at his feet.  Yet, the National Hockey League (NHL) decision to grant him the Jack Adams award creates cognitive dissonance. Observation #3.  In quoting NHL’s verdict on April 17th, the Flames coach had been labeled “irresponsible” and fined for the brawl between the Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames in Game 1 of round 1.  These allegations had been made against him in the absence of concrete evidence triggering ambiguity to their ways of thinking.  Shouldn’t the Jack Adams award recipient be perfect in every way - contribute to his team’s success while being attentive as well?  In this respect, Mr. Bruce Boudreau is more deserving having taken his team to the 3rd round of post season – a status they have never reached since their 2007 Stanley Cup accomplishment; and for making his players world class hockey players.         

Observation #4.  About the agitated opposition: They have attained the title of world class hockey players, a Stanley cup in 2007, and gold medals during the Olympics.  Ryan Getzlaf has also been reckoned for the Mark Messier award.  So, the Anaheim Duck’s apprehensions following their defeat in Game 3 that necessitated going to Banff as a relaxation technique does not fall into place.  The Calgary Flames should have been more distressed about their upcoming challenges after the consistent bombarding and relentless pessimistic messages from the media.      

Observation #5.  The insinuating remark from Mr. Bruce Boudreau’s about Bob Hartley repeatedly stating to an extent that “Bob Hartley is very smart and there are three or four things up his sleeve although I don’t know what they are”.  Isn’t it a psychological fact that we see in others what we see in ourselves?  So how many tricks did Mr. Boudreau have up in his sleeves in the series?

Observation #6.  Corey Perry’s embellishments in games 4 and 5. 

Observation #7.  Synchronicity.  The Flames may not have performed at par in either game 4 or 5, but notice the coincidence – It was Joe Colborne who had scored the shorthanded marker to tie the game at 2 in game 3.  Johnny Gaudreau had scored the equalizer and Mikael Backlund who had scored the OT winner.  Was it just serendipity that all three should have been penalized in game 5?  What had happened after the optimistic performance in game 3?  The following equation puts things in perspective.

AA (Anaheim anxiety) + FA (Flames attributions) =   SP subdued performance

Another disconcerting fact was the biased color commentary presented on air, the Fan 96.  In game 2 of the series; Peter Loubardias had extensively conferred flourishing remarks about the opposition while labeling the Flames players as incompetent.  Understandably, nobody had expected the Calgary Flames to be in the playoffs; yet that doesn’t give anybody (particularly a sports commentator for the Flames radio) the authority to demean the team.  That was totally unwarranted and uncalled for. 

*Derek Wills is an exceptional commentator and it is fun listening to his play by play.     

Subsequently, what are we exemplifying to our youth of today and society of tomorrow?  This generation is the seeds of our future.  Are we preaching that championship games and world class hockey players is all about relentless pursuit without integrity, morality, humanity,  or sportsmanship?  It is a pity, because without these attributes, players are just bound to crawl on ice like stray dogs making their way to the bench. 

You certainly did us proud, boys

Thank you flames

I thought it was a War of 1812 re-enactment myself. But it doesn't matter. Perry finds the line and plays on it. Good for him. If you can play to your advantage you're stupid not to, it's the playoffs. That's why he's a seasoned vet.

People love to hate Perry, so he must be good lol

Agree that Perry plays on the line and since the league allows it there's no way he's about to stop. Whether he's interfering with goalies, running over defenders or embellishing fake injuries he does it well and gets away with it. I did notice a ref came over and talked to him privately when he returned so hopefully he'll be a marked man in the next series.

Really it's a black eye on the whole league (with lots of examples from others) that degrades the product on the ice.when, oh when is the league and the players going to stop this crap?

I guess perry is another of those players that are above the NHL rules guess they don't apply to him. Cross checking a goalie on the ice usually is an automatic penalty. For Most

Wideman could easily have received a penalty for crosschecking Perry on that play, but wasn't.  Refs are inconsistent in period 1,2,3 and OT.  Sometime they let everything go the entire night.  Others they start out strict, get more lenient as the night goes on, and will only blow down something that could lead to a scoring play.  Or not.

I don't feel that the final play of Calgary's season was blatant.  It could have continued, been a Wideman or Perry penalty or simply blown dead.  It happened too fast to stop it.  It could have been waived off because the ref was in the process of blowing the whistle, but he decided he wasn't going to blow it.  The war room can't make that call, the ref has to.

Agree that Perry plays on the line and since the league allows it there's no way he's about to stop. Whether he's interfering with goalies, running over defenders or embellishing fake injuries he does it well and gets away with it. I did notice a ref came over and talked to him privately when he returned so hopefully he'll be a marked man in the next series.

Really it's a black eye on the whole league (with lots of examples from others) that degrades the product on the ice.when, oh when is the league and the players going to stop this crap?

I respectfully disagree, but I also completely disagree.

Your last sentence completely negates why we are so impassioned by hockey. It's a rollercoaster ride. This isn't "crap". This is one player on one team that will seek out the line and play on it, over it, beside it, what have you.

I'm hardly his biggest fan, but I am a big Flames fan and I refuse to sit here and whine that Cory Perry did this and Cory Perry did that.

We're not talking about Matt Cooke here for godsakes, the guy is one of the top power forwards in the league.

Did he not win the Rocket Richard last year?

This isn't directed at you cc, but damn people, stop pissing and moaning.

Perry's a bonafide NHL scorer, and if he pisses off the oppositions fans, he's doing his job.

Welcome to the NHL playoffs, hey look, it's Cory Perry, why is he here?

Let it go.

We've set the bar as a team, forget Perry, we'll match him better, soon.

Ok cundun this is a forum this is why we have a forum to discuses all sorts of stuff I started this 1 because I thought what he did was distaste full and had stag been penalised for it  which could have very well happened I guess that would be ok as well. In my case I thought there should have been a embellishment penalty. In your case I guess you thought who cares stop whining or the other word which I won't say. When nothing happen he  just walked out with out a limp tell me he wasn't trying to pull a penalty. Just saying pretty sad for a professional. But again what ever it takes to win.   

Ok cundun this is a forum this is why we have a forum to discuses all sorts of stuff I started this 1 because I thought what he did was distaste full and had stag been penalised for it  which could have very well happened I guess that would be ok as well. In my case I thought there should have been a embellishment penalty. In your case I guess you thought who cares stop whining or the other word which I won't say. When nothing happen he  just walked out with out a limp tell me he wasn't trying to pull a penalty. Just saying pretty sad for a professional. But again what ever it takes to win.   

Don't take it personally, I did say I thought it was a War of 1812 reenactment, meaning yes I believe he embellished it. But we didn't get a call on it so there's not a lot of use in crying over spilt milk. So many things happen in the course of a game that the game can be changed by a call here and a call there. But it's the nature of the beast that you aren't going to get all of the calls you think you should, so you take your lumps and play on.

Now had Stajan taken a penalty on the play, I'd be singing a whole different tune. But he didn't, so whether Perry embellished or not is neither here nor there, nothing came of it.

Just because I take a 180 degree view on the play doesn't mean I'm ending discussion, in fact it's a good topic to discuss.

The really weird thing about embellishment calls, imo, is they rarely solely call just the embellishment, but the infraction on the opponent as well.

Archived