Western Conference Playoffs - Round 1: Flames vs. Canucks

DirtyDeeds

I see Flames in 6, but if it goes to 7 it depends on which team shows up. If we keep it close going into the third (within 1 goal) I think we have it, if it is 3 goal difference in their favour any time in the game (I doubt it happens, but stranger things have happened), than we might be in trouble.,

Are we planning a game 7 already? I say we get through the first set of home and homes before that lol...

Flames in 6 is what Im telling all my Canuck loving friends back in Van, so I will make the same call on here, although Flames vs Knucks is usually a sure bet for drama in the first round. That last game 7 between the two clubs was a nail bitter!

Hello from Barbados! Gonna be here for the first two gms. Hopefully we'll find a bar showing it.

Anyways...

Dream first round matchup... Couldn't asked for a better matchup to fire up the vitriol again!

I obviously like the Canucks to win this one... Hoping in 5, expecting 6, history indicates 7.

Special teams will likely be a huge storyline as it usually is in the playoffs... If the Canucks can find a way to earn them vs the disciplined flames.

Canucks are going in with a hot PP and a hot scoring D. Calgary has lived off its D production this yr, but I think Edler is the hottest over the last month..

Battle of the top lines...

Both lines are going in hot! The Sedins and Hudler all top 10 in league scoring this yr.

Depth scoring... The Canucks and Flames are 1st and 2nd in 10 goal scorers...

D depth... Favours the Canucks a slight bit..

Goaltending looks like a wash right now...

Playoff experience weighs heavily in one direction...

Can't wait to see how the game flow and how the match ups work out...

What are the expected Flames lines?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Baertschi/Matthias-Bonino-Vrbata

Kenins-Horvat-Hansen

Higgins-Vey/Richardson-Dorsett

(Kassian, Richardson, Matthias banged up a bit)

You can probably guess the outcome of the series.  Scortch Lives!!

article_79f95f81-c706-463a-9466-15361a58

We only burn the city after SCF losses..

Round 1 vs the Flames wouldn't garner enough emotion... Wouldn't have attracted enough band wagon rioters in 2 week span of time...

Need two months or 15 wins to build to that level.

We only burn the city after SCF losses..

Round 1 vs the Flames wouldn't garner enough emotion... Wouldn't have attracted enough band wagon rioters in 2 week span of time...

Need two months or 15 wins to build to that level.

So even this early your already planning to burn the city hmmm... That pictures needs a broom to SWEEP the garbage out.

Let's not break out Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries while we're there.

According to Apocalypse Now it scares the natives & leads to fires. Idiots in Vancouver (fans joining punks) can destroy their city.

We'll just show what the Flaming C does on the ice.

In the bracket challenge @ NHL.com the votes were Flames 51%, Orca 49.

There's a video on the main site that suggests the Flames will win the series based on advanced stats:

SAP's take on the Flames vs. Canucks series
SAP takes a look at some of the statistical advantages in the Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks series.

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=11&id=807835&lang=en

Going to say I honestly didn't expect the flames to win game one. I knew the could be realistically I expected us to drop the 1st regain the 2nd.

Game 2 is going to be fun :D

What i like about game two is they can play a bit looser. They seemed to be a bit hesitant in the start of game #1.

I am sure the coaches were thinking it would be nice to steal a game in Vancouver but they were not that strong at home this year.

They were good on the road so I hope we can steal another, in case they manage to win one here.

What i like about game two is they can play a bit looser. They seemed to be a bit hesitant in the start of game #1.

I am sure the coaches were thinking it would be nice to steal a game in Vancouver but they were not that strong at home this year.

They were good on the road so I hope we can steal another, in case they manage to win one here.

What is surprising is that even with the Cannots having last change, they were not able to match the intensity of 3 of our 4 lines.

They tried Sedins versus Johnny/Mony/Hudler, and the only thing they were able to do was win face-offs.  They tried to line the Sedins up against Backlund or Stajan's lines with worse results.

Bieksa is nursing an injury (probably thanks to Ferland or Granlund). One of the sisters was limping after a shift. They tried their best to hit/hack/scratch/claw/bite their way to a victory. It was a close game, but that was Mony not at his best. Johnny was providing most of the spark for that line.  With all cylinders firing, the Mony line will give the Nuckers trouble. 

What makes this good for the Flames is that the kids are having fun. The vets may feel more pressure, but the kids are making them enjoy it.  We have been the underdogs most of the season, and soon the fans in Vancouver will start cheering for the Flames.  We have been picking up fans (and respect) all season long.

The home games will be a challenge for Hartley.  He can play whoever he wants.  He will have a lot of choices of who to play against the different Nucks' lines.  I almost expect a desperation move like calling up Baertschi.

Tonight is the night that Johnny Hockey takes over the series.  He has been studying the game, looking for weaknesses of the Nucks.  He will break free tonight.  We may even be treated to a line of Johnny/Bennett/Hudler for a different look on the power play.  Doesn't matter, since the rookies and sophmore will break out tonight.

Bieksa is battling a minor injury, but hopefully will be in.  Ferland can remind him what the boards look like.

Think that Sam Bennett may get his first playoff goal tonight, followed by Johnny Hockey and the winner posted by Sean "Moneyhands" Monahan.  Looking forward to hearing Jom Hughson relent the Canucks homerism and start calling him Johnny Hockey, refer to Mony as "the best of the 2013 draft", followed by calling Bennett the "true first overall of the 2014 draft".

The Nucks seem intent that targeting Wideman is key to victory.  That and neutralizing the Mony line.  That and shutting down the Bennett line.  That and breaking out against Backlund.  That and getting more minutes for the Sedins.  That and drawing a bunch of Flames to the penalty box (called "diving").  That and jumping on loose puicks in front of Hiller.  How many players do the Nucks have to do this?  Can they even keep that up for a period?  They seemed gassed at 30 minutes.  Hope they don't mind playing at 3500 feet.

Time to hand out the crying towels again....

CC0RodTUUAANBpe.jpg

I saw some highlights that had Chris Cuthbert doing the call. I assume that's some TSN feed. I gotta see if I can get that, because the difference was amazing. He actually sounded excited when the Flames scored whereas Hughson and Simpson sound like someone crapped in their cornflakes whenever the Flames are succeeding.

I saw some highlights that had Chris Cuthbert doing the call. I assume that's some TSN feed. I gotta see if I can get that, because the difference was amazing. He actually sounded excited when the Flames scored whereas Hughson and Simpson sound like someone crapped in their cornflakes whenever the Flames are succeeding.

If you checked the top right, you would see that was USA network.  I watched the same thing thinking "that didn't sound like Homer Hughson".  I don't think TSN has any coverage at all this year.  Unless you get an alternate feed you are stuck with the Nuck-lovers/Nuck-buddies.

I've figured out time-travel. I drank so much after the #flames win on Wednesday, that I just woke up #inadumpster #5hourstooshort #nexttime

If you checked the top right, you would see that was USA network.  I watched the same thing thinking "that didn't sound like Homer Hughson".  I don't think TSN has any coverage at all this year.  Unless you get an alternate feed you are stuck with the Nuck-lovers/Nuck-buddies.

I've figured out time-travel. I drank so much after the #flames win on Wednesday, that I just woke up #inadumpster #5hourstooshort #nexttime

Yeah I only saw a short clip during Sportscentre and couldn't read the top right fast enough. TVA sports according to the broadcast schedule. Might find a stream tonight.

Archived