Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

Before you get all bent out of shape were we not talking hypothetically from your initial question ? Moving Bennett would only be because he could handle the move with ease.

How much hockey I watch is really none your business and judging talent is not something I have a hard time with. You started this dumb conversation, to bad you don't like the replies.

Why are you so bent about the questions?  This is a discussion about players and  usage.  You were making what sounded like an informed opinion based on watching a player in all situations.   Instead, you decide to turn it into a "I know best because I know best" type of retort.  No need to get into a snit if somebody ask you a question.  If your feelings are hurt from an exchange of ideas, then perhaps you should find something else to do.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Why are you so bent about the questions?  This is a discussion about players and  usage.  You were making what sounded like an informed opinion based on watching a player in all situations.   Instead, you decide to turn it into a "I know best because I know best" type of retort.  No need to get into a snit if somebody ask you a question.  If your feelings are hurt from an exchange of ideas, then perhaps you should find something else to do.

I could say the same to you in so many statements of yours on this forum, maybe you should find a better way of phrasing your questions. As far as the "I know best" comment I would say this more describes yourself.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I could say the same to you in so many statements of yours on this forum, maybe you should find a better way of phrasing your questions. As far as the "I know best" comment I would say this more describes yourself.

Instead of answering the questions posed, you are complaining about the way they are asked.  Just back up the statements you make or answer the questions posed to you and nobody will have a problem.  People may or may not agree, but so what.  It's all opinions.  I make statements of opinions then back them up if asked.  You don't want to back them up or answer the question, then fine.  Moving on.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Instead of answering the questions posed, you are complaining about the way they are asked.  Just back up the statements you make or answer the questions posed to you and nobody will have a problem.  People may or may not agree, but so what.  It's all opinions.  I make statements of opinions then back them up if asked.  You don't want to back them up or answer the question, then fine.  Moving on.

I answered the one question you posed and I specifically addressed it as hypothetic because it was about "would you trade JG for McKinnon" and said yes and why plus what I would do with Bennett . What else would you like backed up in there ? tell me what doesn't meet your criteria.

32 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I answered the one question you posed and I specifically addressed it as hypothetic because it was about "would you trade JG for McKinnon" and said yes and why plus what I would do with Bennett . What else would you like backed up in there ? tell me what doesn't meet your criteria.

The one thing I wanted to know was how much you had watched him play.  You took it as an insult and said it was none of my business and you know how to judge talent..  I explained several times why it was an important to know.  I myself have only watched his play less than 10 games per year, against us, the Oilers and the odd game.  Or the WCH, where he was top 5 on the team.  

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The one thing I wanted to know was how much you had watched him play.  You took it as an insult and said it was none of my business and you know how to judge talent..  I explained several times why it was an important to know.  I myself have only watched his play less than 10 games per year, against us, the Oilers and the odd game.  Or the WCH, where he was top 5 on the team.  

Tough to watch other teams when you don't get them on your channels however I don't believe it takes much to see and know what a top talent has to offer. Outside of JG on the NA Team I thought McKinnon was one of their best players. I said this elsewhere but I like our C depth and would hate to not have JG on this team.

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Tough to watch other teams when you don't get them on your channels however I don't believe it takes much to see and know what a top talent has to offer. Outside of JG on the NA Team I thought McKinnon was one of their best players. I said this elsewhere but I like our C depth and would hate to not have JG on this team.

Thanks.  I asked because some fans here watch on Gameday or other packages, which gives them a balanced view of a player.  I don't think anyone will dispute he is a top player on the AVS.  And he would be top 3, probably, on the Flames.  I guess I just expected him to be that much better than others in the draft class.  

Just posted this on the Johnny Hockey thread, then realized it was as much about our GM as it was about the player he just signed, so figured I might as well post it here as well.

Unreal cap management by BT.  Everything he has done has been solid: The trades he makes, the players he signs to the dollars they sign for, filling specific needs, adding excellent pieces not only to our on-ice team but the management team as well (jury still out on GG), being patient and calculated rather than impatient and reactionary....the guy is one incredible GM in his short body of work here.  Pretty stoked to see what he does next year when we get all those bad contracts and upgradeable players coming off the books.

Read on TSN that Johnny Hockey's cap hit is 44th highest in the league.  That's incredible.  Particularly because he's tied for top cap hit on our team.  So we've got an awesome nucleus of young up-and-coming stars and solid vets just entering their primes locked up for the next 6 years or more and the highest paid players among them are getting paid 44th highest in the league.  That's incredible!  Also it sets one heck of a ceiling for our young guns coming up.  Clearly the cap ceiling was the Gio contract - as reported - and if Johnny can't make more than that, then Bennett, Tkachuk and whoever else comes in sure won't either.  Gives a strong message to future agents that this GM plays a helluva game of hard ball.

Really like the signing.  Can't wait for puck drop!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, YounGuns said:

Just posted this on the Johnny Hockey thread, then realized it was as much about our GM as it was about the player he just signed, so figured I might as well post it here as well.

Unreal cap management by BT.  Everything he has done has been solid: The trades he makes, the players he signs to the dollars they sign for, filling specific needs, adding excellent pieces not only to our on-ice team but the management team as well (jury still out on GG), being patient and calculated rather than impatient and reactionary....the guy is one incredible GM in his short body of work here.  Pretty stoked to see what he does next year when we get all those bad contracts and upgradeable players coming off the books.

Read on TSN that Johnny Hockey's cap hit is 44th highest in the league.  That's incredible.  Particularly because he's tied for top cap hit on our team.  So we've got an awesome nucleus of young up-and-coming stars and solid vets just entering their primes locked up for the next 6 years or more and the highest paid players among them are getting paid 44th highest in the league.  That's incredible!  Also it sets one heck of a ceiling for our young guns coming up.  Clearly the cap ceiling was the Gio contract - as reported - and if Johnny can't make more than that, then Bennett, Tkachuk and whoever else comes in sure won't either.  Gives a strong message to future agents that this GM plays a helluva game of hard ball.

Really like the signing.  Can't wait for puck drop!

Slow down Mrs Treliving:

How would you rate his signing of Mason Raymond and his contribution of 4 goals and 1 assist in 29 games last season? Was that a solid signing? because we ended up buying him out at what 3 mil/yr?

Most here don't mind Engelland but only because he stepped up when Gio was out, however.. do you rate him solid too? most feel he is overpriced and was signed for too long.

he admitted he made huge mistake keeping 3 goalies on roster to start last year. I understand the concept he did not want to put any through waivers but that decision pretty much cost us our season.

He has done well with re-signs but he has not fared so well on the free agent signings.. my opinion.

34 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Slow down Mrs Treliving:

How would you rate his signing of Mason Raymond and his contribution of 4 goals and 1 assist in 29 games last season? Was that a solid signing? because we ended up buying him out at what 3 mil/yr?

Most here don't mind Engelland but only because he stepped up when Gio was out, however.. do you rate him solid too? most feel he is overpriced and was signed for too long.

he admitted he made huge mistake keeping 3 goalies on roster to start last year. I understand the concept he did not want to put any through waivers but that decision pretty much cost us our season.

He has done well with re-signs but he has not fared so well on the free agent signings.. my opinion.

For every mistake, he seems to do two things right.  Signing Monahan, JH and Versteeg, but signs Grossman.  8 defense to start the season.  Brouwer was a good player to sign, but he is getting a big raise after a good playoff.  Brodie is a steal, but Raymond, Engelland and Bouma got too much.  Recognizing that Bollig was not going to win games for us.  Trading for Bollig n the first place.  Trading for Moose.  Signing Johnson.  Walking away from Ortio.  Walking way from some of our lesser prospects.  You can't keep them all.

He is good at some things.  But we still have some problems to work out.  At least this season, his moves were more calculated.   

He has made a some mistakes. I think he paid Bouma too much for too long. I didn't like the Engelland contract. Clearly the Raymond deal was a mistake. He was unable to get a goalie last year and he created the three headed monster. I also don't like the Baertschi trade and I think that one might bite us down the road. 

But most of those mistakes were early and the positives have far outweighed the negatives. The Hamilton trade, contracts for Giordano, Monahan, Gaudreau. The smart free agent signings. The great value trades at the deadline. 

Most of all I like that he seems to learn from his mistakes. His management of Colborne vs Bouma is a good example. 

I think he will be a great GM for a long time. 

3 minutes ago, kehatch said:

He has made a some mistakes. I think he paid Bouma too much for too long. I didn't like the Engelland contract. Clearly the Raymond deal was a mistake. He was unable to get a goalie last year and he created the three headed monster. I also don't like the Baertschi trade and I think that one might bite us down the road. 

But most of those mistakes were early and the positives have far outweighed the negatives. The Hamilton trade, contracts for Giordano, Monahan, Gaudreau. The smart free agent signings. The great value trades at the deadline. 

Most of all I like that he seems to learn from his mistakes. His management of Colborne vs Bouma is a good example. 

I think he will be a great GM for a long time. 

I pretty much agree with what you have written. I understand the Bouma and Engelland deals. I get that the goalie situation was just a tough one. I do not, however, understand the Raymond deal. "This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs. Any questions?"

The biggest mistakes on the roster are Wideman and Stajan.

I was actually okay with the Wideman acquisition. We desperately need a RH shot on the D and someone for the power play. He was infinitely better then experiments like Babchuk, and it was the standard overpayment in free agency. So I can cut Feaster a little slack. 

I don't understand the Stajan extension. I get he was coming off of a couple of okay seasons. Monahan was 18 and we were still waiting for Backlund to put up points. Plus we hadn't drafted Bennett yet. 

But he was 30 and had a recent history of crappy production. Sign him sure. But 4 years with a modified NTC? Big mistake by Burke. 

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

For every mistake, he seems to do two things right.  Signing Monahan, JH and Versteeg, but signs Grossman.  8 defense to start the season.  Brouwer was a good player to sign, but he is getting a big raise after a good playoff.  Brodie is a steal, but Raymond, Engelland and Bouma got too much.  Recognizing that Bollig was not going to win games for us.  Trading for Bollig n the first place.  Trading for Moose.  Signing Johnson.  Walking away from Ortio.  Walking way from some of our lesser prospects.  You can't keep them all.

He is good at some things.  But we still have some problems to work out.  At least this season, his moves were more calculated.   

Sounds like the life of any GM, people should quit expecting every move to be a perfect one for the team. GM's have their own reason's for signing players.

10 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I pretty much agree with what you have written. I understand the Bouma and Engelland deals. I get that the goalie situation was just a tough one. I do not, however, understand the Raymond deal. "This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs. Any questions?"

I don't think any of these moves are hard to explain if the GM is making them on the premise of heading into a rebuild with not a great pipeline and not many if any good FAs wanting to come to Calgary. If they believed they were in for a tough 3 to 4 years to right the ship you need to plug a lot of holes and you need a number of ingredients to still ice a decent team. I don't intend to keep rehashing all the discussions on the players in question however the teams would have needed them more than they did had not Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett been as good as they have been on the way in. Yes we overpaid and again we are close to being done with these situations after this season.

Is BT a good GM, I would say he is as good as we have had in a very long time.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Sounds like the life of any GM, people should quit expecting every move to be a perfect one for the team. GM's have their own reason's for signing players.

I am neither applauding everything he has done nor complaining about the missteps.  As far as I am concerned, he has done a better job than a lot of GM's, but still makes questionable decisions.  He is a smart guy with the cap, at least.  He's paying for the early mistakes (miscalculations), but those disappear at year end.  

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I am neither applauding everything he has done nor complaining about the missteps.  As far as I am concerned, he has done a better job than a lot of GM's, but still makes questionable decisions.  He is a smart guy with the cap, at least.  He's paying for the early mistakes (miscalculations), but those disappear at year end.  

The only mistakes still existing IMO are Wideman (not his) and Stajan (not his).

17 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

The only mistakes still existing IMO are Wideman (not his) and Stajan (not his).

Raymond buy-out.

Engelland's salary.

Bollig's $300k against the cap.

Overpayment for Bouma.

You could argue that Bouma was market value based on arbitration, but offering that on a 3-year deal was wrong.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Raymond buy-out.

Engelland's salary.

Bollig's $300k against the cap.

Overpayment for Bouma.

You could argue that Bouma was market value based on arbitration, but offering that on a 3-year deal was wrong.

Big deal

Big deal

Who cares

Who cares

All deemed useful needed players we could actually get at the time for a rebuild period. Tired of hearing about it.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Big deal

Big deal

Who cares

Who cares

All deemed useful needed players we could actually get at the time for a rebuild period. Tired of hearing about it.

You might be on the wrong thread then. There is at least a couple of million in wasted salary as a result of the mistakes. The Raymond and Bollig dead cap space isn't even really debatable. Thst does matter in a cap league. 

Personally I really like Treliving. But to suggest that none of his mistakes are impacting the team is false. 

29 minutes ago, kehatch said:

You might be on the wrong thread then. There is at least a couple of million in wasted salary as a result of the mistakes. The Raymond and Bollig dead cap space isn't even really debatable. Thst does matter in a cap league. 

Personally I really like Treliving. But to suggest that none of his mistakes are impacting the team is false. 

Like I said big deal, don't care no more. Show me a NHL GM that hasn't made any mistakes. All moves are made with good reasoning put into them at the time, in hindsight they become viewed as mistakes. Everyone lives with mistakes, don't you ?

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Like I said big deal, don't care no more. Show me a NHL GM that hasn't made any mistakes. All moves are made with good reasoning put into them at the time, in hindsight they become viewed as mistakes. Everyone lives with mistakes, don't you ?

Sure. And if there was a Web forum discussing all of my actions I am sure they would come up. The point is that this is a post dedicated to evaluating Treliving. The good and the bad. Saying everyone makes mistakes is true and I think we all acknowledge that. But if everyone just posted on the successes it would be a pretty boring topic. 

14 hours ago, kehatch said:

Sure. And if there was a Web forum discussing all of my actions I am sure they would come up. The point is that this is a post dedicated to evaluating Treliving. The good and the bad. Saying everyone makes mistakes is true and I think we all acknowledge that. But if everyone just posted on the successes it would be a pretty boring topic. 

Harping on them is what gets boring