Trade Deadline Week 2015

DL44

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/trades

Biggest most significant trade so far... LA scooping up Sekera and plugging their most significant hole... arrrrgh. Great move by Lombardi.

Great return for Carolina... a cond 1st, and McKeown ('14 2nd rounder LA got for Vey, that Van got for Garrison).

I just hope walks in the off season.

Winnik to the Pens

Bergenheim to the Wild

Tlusty to the Jets

DSP to the Habs for Sekac

Franson/Santorelli to Nas for Jokinen, 1st, Leipsic

Clarkson to CBJ for Horton! Amazing. Too bad CBJ threw them such a bone. How lucky is Nonis.

Jagr to the Panthers for a '15 2nd rounder, conditional '16 3rd

AHL level type trade- Brennan back to the Leafs for Abbott

Cracknell to the Blues for futures

LA scooping up Sekera and plugging their most significant hole... arrrrgh.  Great move by Lombardi.

You've got Muzzin, Martinez, Regehr, and McNabb as left hand shots and they really missed Voynov, a right hand shot, to balance out the second pairing.  Sekera is a left hand shot.  Does he play right side D?  If not, then i think it's a forced/desperate trade.  Franson is the guy they should've targetted.

You've got Muzzin, Martinez, Regehr, and McNabb as left hand shots and they really missed Voynov, a right hand shot, to balance out the second pairing.  Sekera is a left hand shot.  Does he play right side D?  If not, then i think it's a forced/desperate trade.  Franson is the guy they should've targetted.

I think you overlook handedness when you can grab a guy like Sekera..  I'm a big fan of his... great dman.  

Not a fan at all of Franson. BC boy, but defensively i always found him a train wreck..  It was a no brainer for the Preds to let him go in the first place... but he's found his offensive game.

LA needed a much better quality dman than Franson to shore their D up.  Offensively the Kings D is/was fine... they were bad in their own zone.  Sekera will be a much better fit for their deficiencies. 

Most interesting deal we will probably see.

David Clarkson to Columbus

Nathan Horton to Maple Leafs.

I can't believe the leafs actually managed to move him but j guess it makes sense that Columbus would rather pay someone the same money to play versus pay someone not too. Hortons deal wasn't insured and lots saying today he likely won't play again so Columbus was stuck with his deal. Leafs get to put him on LTIR and gain 5 mill in cap space. Nonis is having himself one heck of a trade deadline.

Most interesting deal we will probably see.

David Clarkson to Columbus

Nathan Horton to Maple Leafs.

I can't believe the leafs actually managed to move him but j guess it makes sense that Columbus would rather pay someone the same money to play versus pay someone not too. Hortons deal wasn't insured and lots saying today he likely won't play again so Columbus was stuck with his deal. Leafs get to put him on LTIR and gain 5 mill in cap space. Nonis is having himself one heck of a trade deadline.

That is insanity.  Someone actually wants Clarkson at that cap hit???

Aren't players on LTIR paid out by insurance anyways? Columbus pays out of their own pocket to have Horton sit in the press box?  Really?? 

This is a huge win by the Leafs.

That is insanity. Someone actually wants Clarkson at that cap hit???

Aren't players on LTIR paid out by insurance anyways? Columbus pays out of their own pocket to have Horton sit in the press box? Really??

I thought so too but not according to all the insiders on twitter. The only reason Columbus made the deal was because they were going to have to pay Horton anyway so might as well pay someone yo okay and MLSE can easily handle 5 mill for someone not to play.

That is insanity.  Someone actually wants Clarkson at that cap hit???

Aren't players on LTIR paid out by insurance anyways? Columbus pays out of their own pocket to have Horton sit in the press box?  Really?? 

In this case for the Jackets, Horton was an uninsured contract therefore they were liable for the cap hit.

In this case for the Jackets, Horton was an uninsured contract therefore they were liable for the cap hit.

They weren't liable for the cap hit that was covered by LTIR but they were liable for the salary and to actually pay him which is very troublesome for a team like Columbus. They can't afford to have 5 mill paid out and get zero production so might as well get 15 ish goals

Why it wasn't covered by insurance I'm not sure. Did Columbus not purchase it? Or was their a previous injury that made it void? That's a good question because I would certainly question why Columbus would not purchase insurance on a contract that big.

They weren't liable for the cap hit that was covered by LTIR but they were liable for the salary and to actually pay him which is very troublesome for a team like Columbus. They can't afford to have 5 mill paid out and get zero production so might as well get 15 ish goals

Why it wasn't covered by insurance I'm not sure. Did Columbus not purchase it? Or was their a previous injury that made it void? That's a good question because I would certainly question why Columbus would not purchase insurance on a contract that big.

Thanks for the correction......I was a little confused by what the talking heads were discussing.

From what I understand there was issues with his injury history and that's why it wasn't insured.

I think this is a good trade for both clubs. Columbus is a small market team and paying $5mil for a guy to sit at home just doesn't make sense for them, so get a guy that will play and fits their style of play makes sense for them.

Toronto can easily afford to pay a guy $5mill to sit at home, and get the cap relief. Clarkson didn't work out in Toronto so they did well to get rid of his contract.

I think it was some very good outside the box thinking by Jarmo Kekalainen, who approached Nonis to make this trade.

Fan 960 tried to explain that because Horton came to BJ's injured that they were unable to insure the contract.. or something like that.... I was in another room and partially heard this explanation...

It was cost prohibitive to insure him. They had to take a 30 game premium which is pretty steep.

I like the moves the Panthers and Jackets have done. It has been a very entertaining lead up to the deadline.

It's MLSE they have very deep pockets. They're laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

I missed a year it's $26.1mill over the next 5 years.

Important to note that Toronto only gets cap savings if they are up against the cap. They are going into a rebuild, I don't see them being a cap team. Really they aren't saving anything. They just got Clarkson off of their roster.

Important to note that Toronto only gets cap savings if they are up against the cap. They are going into a rebuild, I don't see them being a cap team. Really they aren't saving anything. They just got Clarkson off of their roster.

And if Horton retires? They save a ton. Besides, Clarkson might have gone on a tear (lol) and taken them out of Tankmode. They are all in for McD now.

It is the leafs however. I think the chances they are not a cap team long term are small. They'll be a cap team soon enough.

Why would Horton retire? If he retires he doesn't get his $26.1mill.

What is the point of staying on LTIR? Have to meet with physicians every so often to keep your status the same. Can't move on with your life. If you aren't coming back, move on. If he can come back at some point, fine. He gets money either way. Just not as much.

What is the point of staying on LTIR? Have to meet with physicians every so often to keep your status the same. Can't move on with your life. If you aren't coming back, move on. If he can come back at some point, fine. He gets money either way. Just not as much.

If he retires, he just gets his pension. That $26.1mill pretty much just goes away.

I would meet with doctors every so often for $26.1mill. Chris Pronger and Marc Savard are doing the same thing.

If he retires, he just gets his pension. That $26.1mill pretty much just goes away.

I would meet with doctors every so often for $26.1mill. Chris Pronger and Marc Savard are doing the same thing.

Sadly, Horton is messed up real bad with a spinal injury, he will NEVER play another NHL game, which is what the TML are banking on.  Don't worry, he will get his entire 26.1M.  

Archived