Suggestion: Phil Kessel

The_People1

Kessel gives up when the game doesn't go his way. He gets mad at his teammates when games don't go his way. I am going on what my dad said while he was watching a Leaf's game, that he was getting pissed at JVR because he probably didn't pass to him. 

I think Kessel is a Prima-donna and we don't need that attitude on our team. Same goes to Kane. It ruins the team atmosphere they've created with the Flames. 

We don't need a player who pouts. 

Kessel gives up when the game doesn't go his way. He gets mad at his teammates when games don't go his way. I am going on what my dad said while he was watching a Leaf's game, that he was getting pissed at JVR because he probably didn't pass to him. 

I think Kessel is a Prima-donna and we don't need that attitude on our team. Same goes to Kane. It ruins the team atmosphere they've created with the Flames. 

We don't need a player who pouts. 

You would pout too if you had to play for the Leafs in Toronto  :P 

It isn't that I am huge Kessel fan but the guy just kind of reminds me of Kipper in personality. Shy/withdrawn - let him just play hockey and he will be fine. His numbers are solid - his contract is high and if Burke can get him as a Cap Dump deal for little cost I do it... Calgary is one of the few teams that has the Cap space and could throw him this year's first and Sven and a prospect. 

If the Leafs are serious about starting their rebuild they will do it. Gives them Cap room and three young players - Burke won't do the trade until he knows what player he is giving up in the draft and if the Flames make the playoffs it won't be a golden player anyway. Kessel is only 26. 

Again only because it so clearly addresses one of the major weaknesses in the Flames and if behind the scenes Kessel wants out of Toronto as much as I suspect he does and Toronto wants him gone as well. Well take the deal, say what you will the guy is a proven goal scorer although the length of that contract and price is a risk...

Kessel in the right deal should be given serious consideration. It would have to be a Cap dump deal for the Flames to take his Cap hit. I could see the Leafs doing a fire sale on Kessel because he is such a cost, His skill is undeniable and the Flames have nothing on the right side.

Again I would take Kessel but only in what would be a fire-sale deal. Burke may be able to do it. If the Leafs are looking to open up Cap and willing to dump him for the right price. I would go for it.

I think Kessel will cost more than you think. Phaneuf probably won't. But I think Kessell will be expensive.

On another note, welcome back. Where in the heck have you been hiding?

lol - keeping a low profile this year. I was a very high skeptic at the beginning of the year expecting a lottery pick. Been reading but not posting, expected a strong regression but I think Hartley's fierce conditioning is paying off. 

The last game against the Sharks has me on the believer side now. With 30 games left I do believe the Flames have a chance at the playoffs... 

Couldn't be happier to be wrong about this season. 

:blink:   Well, I guess the speculators have to speculate...    :ph34r:    From:    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/Hockey+World+Short+shifts+Edmonton/10809043/story.html?cid=dlvr.it-twitter-ej_oilers

- Phil Kessel is due $10-million next year and $28 mil over the next three seasons, which is a big swallow, but you’d think Brian Burke, who brought him to the Toronto Maple Leafs and now is president of the Calgary Flames, would still be interested. Key is what teams give up for his price-tag. Calgary has prospects (Sam Bennett is off-limits but Morgan Klimchuk, Emile Poirier, Jon Gillies in goal, and Sven Baertschi wouldn’t be), and they’d probably move a centre like Mikael Backlund. Sean Monahan would be untouchable, though. Just throwing it out there.

:blink:   Well, I guess the speculators have to speculate...    :ph34r:    From:    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/Hockey+World+Short+shifts+Edmonton/10809043/story.html?cid=dlvr.it-twitter-ej_oilers

- Phil Kessel is due $10-million next year and $28 mil over the next three seasons, which is a big swallow, but you’d think Brian Burke, who brought him to the Toronto Maple Leafs and now is president of the Calgary Flames, would still be interested. Key is what teams give up for his price-tag. Calgary has prospects (Sam Bennett is off-limits but Morgan Klimchuk, Emile Poirier, Jon Gillies in goal, and Sven Baertschi wouldn’t be), and they’d probably move a centre like Mikael Backlund. Sean Monahan would be untouchable, though. Just throwing it out there.

He is long term Oiler reporter but...

I don't see us going hard over Kessel at least hard with our prospect pool. Money only maybe, but a bunch prospects?  no I would not want to see that at all.

Of those mentioned I would not be too happy to see Poirier or Gilles involved in any trade for Kessel. I am just not ready for them to go without some NHL time under their belt.

He is long term Oiler reporter but...

I don't see us going hard over Kessel at least hard with our prospect pool. Money only maybe, but a bunch prospects?  no I would not want to see that at all.

Of those mentioned I would not be too happy to see Poirier or Gilles involved in any trade for Kessel. I am just not ready for them to go without some NHL time under their belt.

I would add Klimchuk to that list, only because we have no idea of his ceiling as a pro.  We are seeing good things out of Baertschi and Poirier so far, so I wouldn't want to move him yet.  In 3 years time are we going to be overloaded on LW?  Don't know who will actually make the NHL yet.

I know everyone laughs at my Kessel suggestion but it makes sense.  RHS top line RW.  We don't have anyone coming up the system who can fit that bill and it's unlikely we will draft high enough to get an impact scorer like Kessel.  Stewart doesn't even come close.  I would move anyone except Bennett, Monahan, Gaudreau, Giordano, and Brodie.

In terms of Gillies, we have Ortio and Macdonald so i'm okay parting with Gillies.  I'm okay parting with any one of the three goalie prospects. 

Poirier is hard to give up. 

I wouldn't shed a tear if we lost Baertschi, Klimchuk, or any LW prospect.  They can be replaced.  Most teams have an abundance of LW prospects that we can trade for.  Plus UFA is full of them too.  It's hard to part with Bouma but if we must, then we must.  Ferland is somewhat ready to fill in.  Wolf is a beast too.  That and we got Hanowski and Reinhart who can offer grit on the 3rd/4th line LW.

Last but not least, Flames 1st round pick 2015.  Very difficult to part with if we miss the playoffs. 

A # of points hack reporters base their speculation on:

Home province

Former GM that drafted/traded for him

Former linemates play for the team apparently interested

Has a brother on that team

For Euros because the other team has a few _____ players they tend to want more

Ignored are things like need, cost (to acquire & the cap space), NMC/NTCs.

There are many more on both sides but the writer sent in his copy for the day & got his cheque. :)

I think Kessel would do well here.  There is already a strong leadership structure in place and he wouldn't have to be the go to guy.  He is like a Hossa, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, etc.  Really good complimentary player on the right team.  I get he is paid alot for that.  But considering he is one of the top offensive players in the NHL he is worth his salary.  

The bigger issue is what would it cost to get him.  I am guessing something like Backlund, Baertschi, and a first.  I would probably do it.  I really like Backlund, but with the number of Cs on the team and in the system we can afford that.  The other assets I can live with losing.  

I would trade for kessel only because I after the LA performance I think this team can use some more fire power. I suggest

SVEN+2015 1st overall+ 2016 1st for Phil. TO retains 20 percent of Phil's salary

Scoring goals wasn't the issue against the Kings, keeping the puck out of our own end was the issue, and Kessel won't be much help with that.

I think Kessel would do well here. There is already a strong leadership structure in place and he wouldn't have to be the go to guy. He is like a Hossa, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, etc. Really good complimentary player on the right team. I get he is paid alot for that. But considering he is one of the top offensive players in the NHL he is worth his salary.

The bigger issue is what would it cost to get him. I am guessing something like Backlund, Baertschi, and a first. I would probably do it. I really like Backlund, but with the number of Cs on the team and in the system we can afford that. The other assets I can live with losing.

I think Kessel would be the go to guy, he would be the number one offensive weapon, he would be the highest paid player, and since we have such a young team he would be an elder statesman.

I just don't see Kessel working here.

The issue with LA was lack of conviction. Flames were not moving their feet, and were not able to take advantage of some quality scoring chances. Kessel has speed, and conviction. He is an asset to have on the PP and five on five.

I think thats the first time the word conviction has been used when talking about Kessel.

We scored 3 goals on 18 shots I would say we converted our chances. The 45 shots against is much more worrisome. Kessel is a defensive liability, and a soft player, he would've had zero impact on that game.

I think Kessel would do well here.  There is already a strong leadership structure in place and he wouldn't have to be the go to guy.  He is like a Hossa, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, etc.  Really good complimentary player on the right team.  I get he is paid alot for that.  But considering he is one of the top offensive players in the NHL he is worth his salary.  

The bigger issue is what would it cost to get him.  I am guessing something like Backlund, Baertschi, and a first.  I would probably do it.  I really like Backlund, but with the number of Cs on the team and in the system we can afford that.  The other assets I can live with losing.  

$8 million for 7 more years is rather steep for a 1 way complimentary player. On a work ethic driven team that offense only stuff will likely chafe those expected to @ least hold their own in every zone. Seeing his salary compared to theirs they could be forgiven if they said "if goals = $s on my paycheck why should I bust my hump when I could cherry pick".

I certainly wouldn't trade a 1st + for him. On paper that is a reasonable deal but it undoes the identity the Flames are putting in place.

Sometimes you have to look @ the big picture of the team. Canada found out that an all-star roster doesn't get you far but a team where everyone pulls his share of the load works.

I would trade for kessel only because I after the LA performance I think this team can use some more fire power. I suggest

SVEN+2015 1st overall+ 2016 1st for Phil. TO retains 20 percent of Phil's salary

Brian Burke? Is that you?

Then we lose out next season and go all Seguin 2.0? No thanks. Isn't that what Burke did when he traded for Kessel. He overvalued the performance the Leafs were having and then gave up two 1sts, one of which ended up being 2nd overall. What happens if we regress enough to win the lottery next season?

Phil is actually really similar to Iginla. They're both inconsistent within seasons, but very consistent year to year. I think The biggest difference is toughness, mental and physical.

I would love to have Kessel on this team hands down. Gio would insulate him in a way Phaneuf never could. However, the core of our offence is all 20 years old or so. I think Phil would be ideal to bring in with a strong core hitting their mid twenties as an offensive catalyst. Not so great a teacher for young guys.

Also cost would be a huge issue. I feel Backlund is a huge part of this team and our D prospects need upgrades through this year's picks. Also I feel that our core is untouchable (bennett, Gio, Brodie, Money, Jonny (good number one PP unit in a few years))

I get that he's a very good offensive player but that's a lot of contract for a guy that's worn out his welcome on two teams now.  There is obviously something about this player that gives him a limited shelf life and with 7 years left at 8million per ?  NFW.  The Flames have excellent chemistry and I'd hate for them to bring in other teams problems.

A change of scenery may do him good. He may also have to change is tune as the team concept is out work the opponnet. Phil is a different guy, good player, but different. I like your trade but put a different mix on it.

Sven/Backs and 2016 1st TO retains 20% of his contract.

I get that he's a very good offensive player but that's a lot of contract for a guy that's worn out his welcome on two teams now. There is obviously something about this player that gives him a limited shelf life and with 7 years left at 8million per ? NFW. The Flames have excellent chemistry and I'd hate for them to bring in other teams problems.

He didn't wear our his welcome in Boston. He was traded for a really big return to avoid losing him to an offer sheet. I also couldn't think of a worse environment for him in the NHL then Toronto right now.

Most of the times these trades work in the favour of the team acquiring the player. Myers will probably work in Winnipeg. Kane will probably work in Buffalo. Seguin works in Dallas. I remember and almost identical discussion surrounding Carter when he was still in Philly. He works in LA. Bobby Ryan might be the one example against doing this, but he is having a great season in Ottawa.

8 million for a young perennial 30 goal scorer is worth it. Especially since you are probably buying low on the guy.

A change of scenery may do him good. He may also have to change is tune as the team concept is out work the opponnet. Phil is a different guy, good player, but different. I like your trade but put a different mix on it.

Sven/Backs and 2016 1st TO retains 20% of his contract.

For the size of his contract you had better be sure he is a good fit first before taking it on right???