Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

It really couldn't get any more poetic. You couldn't have scripted this finish any better. This week will be one to remember for a long time. Soak it up. 

As long as we win our must win against Arizona and one of LA and Winnipeg lose one of their back to backs outright, we go into the weekend in a very favourable position. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So cool, this season is not finished until the last game, sweepong the oilers and predators, winning the series against the defending champion and (even better) the Canucks.

No playing just for pride for the last weeks. Makes it harder for me as a fan to not get up for the games.

Don't mean to offend anyone but those Peggers don't deserve to be anywhere near the playoffs, let alone in the final playoff hunt.

Just look at their ROW and look at the other teams ROW that are in the hunt, would be a disgrace for them to make it and not us.

For sakes SJ and Dallas have a better ROW than them LMAO, yeah ROW may not be the end all for a lot of you but damn just because you (Peg) managed to lose in OT more times than the other teams does not in any way prove you're a better team even though you may have more points in the end.

It really couldn't get any more poetic. You couldn't have scripted this finish any better. This week will be one to remember for a long time. Soak it up. 

As long as we win our must win against Arizona and one of LA and Winnipeg lose one of their back to backs outright, we go into the weekend in a very favourable position. 

Really as long as we win all 4 we're in. That's all that matters. If we lose, then we have to pay attention to the other teams.

It gives me great pleasure to invite two additional teams back into our race, even if it is for just a short while. :)

699cedcc9c6f6304065c2ccff0fb7a2d.png

We are within reach of both VAN and MIN which I wouldn't have expected last week. Minny actually has a very tough last 3 games and could drop, and possibly even drop out given they play the three Central leaders all on the road.

Canucks have LA which will not be an  easy game, but they'll fight hard. Then finish against the Mc-David racers. They get 99 and are as much of a lock as you can get. 

Final placements are really in flux here.

As to the ROW vs OTL thing, the standings with a  3-point system would actually not help us.

We'd still be fighting with Winnipeg and SJS for ONE playoff spot, Minny, LA and VAN would all be basically out of reach.

http://hockeystandings.info/?page=threepoints

So the current system hasn't help us or hurt us.

I sure hope the Flames make into the playoffs and then into the second round. There is four of us that have split season tickets and we did the draw for playoffs tonight and I got games 4 and 5. That means I don't get to see a game till the 2nd round. Ouch.

I was reading the Vancouver newspaper yesterday and Jason Botchford was talking about Vancouver's playoff scenarios. Their best hopes lie on Calgary taking the 3rd Pacific Division spot.

I hope it happens and we knock em out! I understand we've been the underdog all year, but that just pissed me off and glad they're still underestimating the Flames.

I was stupid to lower my hatred to tolerance of the Vancouver Canucks. It's on!

Again

To take a minute and look at the east, things are getting interesting there. Pittsburgh, Detroit and the Islanders have all played poorly their last 10, while Ottawa is still making a concerted push.

Ottawa has to end with more points as it loses all 3 tiebreakers, but it is theoretically possible for one of those three powerhouses to get knocked out at the last minute. That's a little surprising.

(Specifically:

Ottawa needs 1-1-1 if one of those teams loses their last 3

Ottawa needs 2-0-1 if one of those teams wins only 1

Ottawa has to win out if any of those teams goes 1-1-1

If all those teams win 2 of their last 3, then Ottawa is out regardless.

I prefer that to the current system where some games go 2-0 for clean wins & others have the winner getting the same 2 but the loser still being rewarded.

Not surprising in a league that rewards losing by rewarding those best @ that with the chance to select what is assumed to be the best of that years draftable youth.

**************************************************************************************

I may be old fashioned but I still see the goal of competing to be exactly that & striving to win.

Completely agree, Flyerfan52.

Especially the part about you being old lol

Well, 1st in the Pacific is out of reach.  The best we can hope for is 2nd.  Of all recent years playing the Nucks, this one we actually have a team that could compete in a playoff series against them.

CHI could easily end up in the 1st or 2nd WC spot, playing either ANA or NSH; either way they have a very tough time winning that series.  I find it odd that the former powerhouses in the West have been slipping more than a drunk Oiler fan outside Rexal.

- STL is playing horrible lately and can't seem to win more than once every 3 games.  

- ANA has been inconsistent

- NSH has been losing too frequently recently; is that due to Weber?

- VAN is winning barely enough to limp into the playoffs

- CHI has been losing way too much; Kane is rumored to be coming back early?

NOW you can say the Canucks are 'limping'

;)

NOW you can say the Canucks are 'limping'

;)

I have to say that even though I prefer to see the Kings in the Playoffs, I would rather play the Nucks in round 1. I hope they beat LA tonight, just to give us a chance to go up 3 points. And I also hope that Minnie beats WPG. Same reason.

We can secure a spot by winning out, but these games are keeping me up at night.

By the end of the night it looks like we will be on the outside looking in. We need at least 5 of the last 6 points to get in, and we need regulation wins against LA and Winnipeg to ensure a playoff berth. Good news is all we have to do is win to get in, but I think of the four teams fighting for 3 spots we have the toughest road. Hoping for a blues win against the peggers!

As bad as it may sound if we can't beat the teams fighting with us than we don't deserve the spot.  Winnipeg, LA are not only winning games but winning games against teams above them in the standings. If we can get by ARZ, we are going have to get 3 of 4 points from the LA and Winnipeg games. This is going to require a level of play that is far superior than that of the past few.

LA loses in the shootout, so for now we remain in. A victory against LA for us could prove to be a death knell for them now. They need 1 more point than us, givin their defecit in ROW. Here's hoping the oilers somehow step up tomorrow and Arizona goes full tank mode.

Archived