Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

This is the NHL, anything can happen. We could call up Poirer and get Ferland and Backs back and look like a power house. We could loose Gio to a freak accident like what happend yesterday and bottom out....

Either way what we have now is a team making strides forward and showing progress. Its inevitable that they go on a loosing streak, loose more players to injury and even go on a scoring draught. All that matters is how they deal with the adversity and continue to build on there current success.

As of today we are third in the league in GF, 4th overall in pts and have the highest producing defensive duo we've seen in years who could both hey Norris consideration at this rate. Not to mention a coach already getting jack Adam's consideration and a fresh faced rookie in the race for the Calder.

Overall guys I'd call that a win, playoffs this soon into the build is just icing on the cake.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Flames are still sitting in a playoff spot by December 1st, then i think the Flames will make it.  By that time, there is enough sample size to prove this team is one of the better ones in the conference.  I honestly haven't seen this much youthful enthusiasm in the Flames since 2004.  Pieces are coming together.  Goaltending is stellar.  Everyone is settling into a role to help the team win.

If the Flames are still sitting in a playoff spot by December 1st, then i think the Flames will make it.  By that time, there is enough sample size to prove this team is one of the better ones in the conference.  I honestly haven't seen this much youthful enthusiasm in the Flames since 2004.  Pieces are coming together.  Goaltending is stellar.  Everyone is settling into a role to help the team win.

Strange as it seems, the injuries have shown that a good team is a sum of parts. Possession took a hit when we lost Backs, but Johnny and Monahan have been very good at carrying the puck in. Raymond was supposed to help replace some of Cammi's scoring, but Mony, Hudler, Bouma and Gio have taken up the slack. Stajan was supposed to provide PK abilities, but Jooris has taken on that role. My only problem is the play of Setoguchi; do something positive will you? Ample opportunity right from training camp. Just doesn't do enough to warrant a 3rd line role or be discussed as a goal scoring forward.

Strange as it seems, the injuries have shown that a good team is a sum of parts. Possession took a hit when we lost Backs, but Johnny and Monahan have been very good at carrying the puck in. Raymond was supposed to help replace some of Cammi's scoring, but Mony, Hudler, Bouma and Gio have taken up the slack. Stajan was supposed to provide PK abilities, but Jooris has taken on that role. My only problem is the play of Setoguchi; do something positive will you? Ample opportunity right from training camp. Just doesn't do enough to warrant a 3rd line role or be discussed as a goal scoring forward.

Please give Seto a bit more time. He is actually playing better and better the last few games. It's only a matter of time before he breaks through.

Right now it is still to early to get excited about playoffs. The next 20 games will give us a better gauge of the team we have. We play teams inside the division. Winning at the same percentage rate as we are now would really make a statement.

At moments we look great and than you watch the FLA and Canes game and move back to what could be glimpse what could be This club has a great work ethic identity, not sure that is enough to vault them into a playoff spot this season.

Right now it is still to early to get excited about playoffs. The next 20 games will give us a better gauge of the team we have. We play teams inside the division. Winning at the same percentage rate as we are now would really make a statement.

At moments we look great and than you watch the FLA and Canes game and move back to what could be glimpse what could be This club has a great work ethic identity, not sure that is enough to vault them into a playoff spot this season.

What excites me about this team is the ability to roll with the punches. Injuries to 3/4 centers, losing the top scoring forward, rolling two goalies, and playing the majority of games on the road, including back-to-back games. Having a few really bad games does not concern me because we have been better after a loss.

Some experiments have shown to be bad; Setoguchi in the top 9, Johnny Hoxkey on RW, Engelland and Bollig playing most games, leaving Johnny off the PP, Setoguchi playing on the PP, etc.

Some things need to be worked out with the lineup:

- Jooris, Granlund, Sven, and Ferland's disposition this year, RE: players returning from injury

- McGrattan's continued spot in the roster

- managing the cap with the possible demotion of Seto, Bollig and/or Engelland

- where we are with our D prospects

We have played well against LA and (at times) San Jose, but we haven't won in Anaheim in 100 years. The Cali trip will help define our ability to compete in the west.

Your last sentence has been echoed many times on the Canucks MB about themselves.

Re experiments:

Seto top 9 - agreed.

JG on RW - agreed.

Engelland and Bollig ice times - We don't have another right shooting RD in the system that can play right now. Bollig has done the things they wanted of him; rugged 4th line LW with 3rd line potential.

No PP for JG - you answered this yourself in another thread. Hartley is most likely managing his minutes. I'm pretty sure that he will be on the PP later this season.

Stoguchi on PP - agreed, but like I've said, they are giving him a shot at staying. Burying 750k in the AHL is not a problem, I just think they are giving him a long, hard look first.

I feel that comes down to Granlund or Jooris staying in the NHL after the IR empties.

I believe that the Flames will make room for one of them unless Setoguchi lights it up in the next couple of weeks.

Your last sentence has been echoed many times on the Canucks MB about themselves.

Re experiments:

Seto top 9 - agreed.

JG on RW - agreed.

Engelland and Bollig ice times - We don't have another right shooting RD in the system that can play right now. Bollig has done the things they wanted of him; rugged 4th line LW with 3rd line potential.

No PP for JG - you answered this yourself in another thread. Hartley is most likely managing his minutes. I'm pretty sure that he will be on the PP later this season.

Stoguchi on PP - agreed, but like I've said, they are giving him a shot at staying. Burying 750k in the AHL is not a problem, I just think they are giving him a long, hard look first.

I feel that comes down to Granlund or Jooris staying in the NHL after the IR empties.

I believe that the Flames will make room for one of them unless Setoguchi lights it up in the next couple of weeks.

Two big things defined us last year; ability to play some top teams, and inability to win 1 goal games.

- Beating Anaheim in Anaheim will be our SCF

- Johnny Hockey is playing usually 1st PP unit time now

- RHS RD is not the deciding factor for Engelland; a better read on Wotherspoon or Seilof would help

- One of Bollig or McGrattan or Engelland will be here for the year, whether they play most games or not

- If it comes down to Seto or Jooris, Jooris will stay

- If it comes down to Granland or Byron, Granlund will stay

- Ferland might stay up and be 13th or 14th forward once off IR, or go back to dominate the AHL

I sooooo want to beat Anaheim in Anaheim!

It's been what .....20 games in a row or so.

For sure Jooris over Setoguchi.

If it was up to me, it would have happened already.

Granlund is waiver exempt and Byron is not.

I don't think that the Flames will risk losing him at this time.

I'd rather Ferland play big minutes in the AHL.

I can see him, Granlund, and Poirier coming up next season to stay.

I sooooo want to beat Anaheim in Anaheim!

It's been what .....20 games in a row or so.

For sure Jooris over Setoguchi.

If it was up to me, it would have happened already.

Granlund is waiver exempt and Byron is not.

I don't think that the Flames will risk losing him at this time.

I'd rather Ferland play big minutes in the AHL.

I can see him, Granlund, and Poirier coming up next season to stay.

As much as Hartley loves Byron, he is still small, sometimes ineffective, and was signed after not qualifying him. He is a trade chip and could hold more value to others more than us. His speed and PK is the only thing keeping him here right now. I like the guy, but he is a placeholder. If he was to become a 40 point guy this year, I might change my opinion.

Can we make the playoffs? A resounding YES.

Will we? Depends on how much they believe in themselves & their teammates. If management starts selling off players for futures the players will doubt themselves but if management adds upgrades the remainder get a boost from the upgrade & the fact management has that faith.

How far do we go in the playoffs? That depends on the players added & how much they strengthen the team. Without changes we can make the playoffs & have a 1st round exit (making the ditch crowd cry) which is still something 14 of 30 teams didn't achieve. Smart adds & the luck of the draw could have the Flames go further. There are players & assets we can use as trade material without breaking up the chemistry. Based only on cap #s there is near 12 million we could spend on upgrades.

The Flames are better then the video games, fancy stats from nerds or the opinion of the largely eastern based talking heads tell you.

This head start on many teams gives us a dang good chance to be a contender if management buys in (obviously the players have).

I'm rather surprised myself but can now see the 1st round &, if management buys in, further.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the flames could trade pieces at the trade deadline, but just for discussion who do you see us trading and for what? I don't really know if the flames were in a playoff position come trade deadline if management would want to make a push or just roll with what we have. I'm assuming they would roll with it because the only place our young guys can go is up and a first round exit should hypothetically make them want it more next year.

6cf571c1b9ccd3789c0790c6b3da4714.png

Thanks for the chart, Cheersman. Might I suggest that in future versions you use bars to capture the actual points in a segment and use the blue line to capture the cumulative +/- to the target. So the blue line would be at 10 still for segment 3 but the bar would only go to 8. That way we see the buffer or deficit we have over time while still seeing the total for any given 7 game stretch. If not, that's cool too...

Thanks again!

I don't care how and what spot, but this team is gunning for a playoff spot.  I have no doubt that comes straight from the mouth of Burkie.  No days off, no shifts off, or you sit.  So far it's been the mandate.  Mistakes allowed are few and far between.

Sven has made quite a few rookie mistakes by overcompensation, and he sits for it.  However, he was rewarded (although not many saw this) when he was contributing.  Getting on the scoresheet is one thing, but consistency is key throughout the lineup.  Hence why JG has been given a long leash.  The plays don't consistently die on his stick.  The same with Byron, Bouma, and Granny Apples.

This team may not be Presidents Trophy winners, but they can absolutely make it as the unmitigated underdog of the new decade season.

I don't care how and what spot, but this team is gunning for a playoff spot.  I have no doubt that comes straight from the mouth of Burkie.  No days off, no shifts off, or you sit.  So far it's been the mandate.  Mistakes allowed are few and far between.

Sven has made quite a few rookie mistakes by overcompensation, and he sits for it.  However, he was rewarded (although not many saw this) when he was contributing.  Getting on the scoresheet is one thing, but consistency is key throughout the lineup.  Hence why JG has been given a long leash.  The plays don't consistently die on his stick.  The same with Byron, Bouma, and Granny Apples.

This team may not be Presidents Trophy winners, but they can absolutely make it as the unmitigated underdog of the new decade season.

But those Presidents Trophy banners are so pretty. They can deflect fans attention away from the fact their team has been around since 1970 without having a reason for a real banner. :)

Had we been last in the league at this point, the Flames would still be playing with the same intensity. It's a little easier for a team full of rookies to get motivated than a team of "vets", though. The young guys are playing for a chance to stay in the NHL. Full marks to these guys for showing up.

I have been a little leery of making predictions for the season, for fear of p'ing off the hockeys gods. Sure, I was predicting in the off-season that we wouldn't be in the bottom five, but that was expectations on having better goaltending, Wideman/Brodie/Gio having good seasons, and Johnny Hockey being a difference maker.

The results so far are very good, and we keep defying the MSM who say we can't sustain this level due to fancy stats, comparisons to Toronto and Colorado, being a team without true talent. What we are is a team that relies on work ethic and coaching. Very much like the cup-run team, we are a lunchpail team that can.

I think we would be a scary team if we did make it but I'm also scared if we do.. This team is too much like Ottawa from a few years ago but we probably have a better defensive core than that team because they just rode their goalie that year. The breakdowns that were happening in the beginning of the season have started again the last few games against the good teams and our goaltending has come back down to earth, it's definitely still to early to know. I hope that they still do make it because I think that experience would be good for the players and that the young guys we do have are pretty underrated when compared to other top prospects around the league (we just need better defensive prospects!) 

I think we would be a scary team if we did make it but I'm also scared if we do.. This team is too much like Ottawa from a few years ago but we probably have a better defensive core than that team because they just rode their goalie that year. The breakdowns that were happening in the beginning of the season have started again the last few games against the good teams and our goaltending has come back down to earth, it's definitely still to early to know. I hope that they still do make it because I think that experience would be good for the players and that the young guys we do have are pretty underrated when compared to other top prospects around the league (we just need better defensive prospects!) 

The funny thing is, I think Hartley is overplaying Hiller. So our goaltending would come back down to earth. I think he's gotta play both regularly, but not on an alternating basis. Play his guy 3 out of 5 nights. One goalie gets 50 games, the other 30 or so. 

We have the most goals for in the conference. Who would've seen that coming  (to this point in the season). We're up by about 7 or 8 on the next team. 

Archived