Can we make the Playoffs this year?

Basti

Looking back so far, our top 4 D has been healthy most of the time (only 2 man games for Russel).

I think that is the main reason we are in the current position and if they stay healthy, I am pretty sure the chances are very high to be inside the playoffs.

1 of the reasons I want a deeper D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what we're seeing is how much more the games amp up this time of year. The Flames have to match the intensity of the teams they're playing. This road series they are starting is probably going to be the most meaningful hockey they have played up to this point. If the Flames can't up their game or find that extra gear we could be on the outside looking in. To be honest I still think they can do it but as I said they're going to have to dig deep and find that extra gear.

Today's game between LAK and SJS is bad for us. Whoever wins leapfrogs us and we'll wind up in 8th.

If it goes to overtime, we're out of the playoff race regardless of the winner.

I'm actually pulling for LA. The only hope we have of hanging on is if both they and the Jets fall off at this point.

Tough loss against the ducks. We need to hustle, and kick some eastern butt to solidify our play of spot 

Had we won last night, a .500 road trip woud have kept us in. With that loss, we're going to need to win at least 4 of 7 to even hang on to a wild card spot. Hopefully we find the extra gear.

The problem is our size and inconsistent goal-tending. We need to address these issues. 

I don't think that size is THAT big of an issue. I haven't really seen our guys get pushed around much other than Johnny really. 

Yes, it would be nice to get a few bigger bodies, but lets get bigger bodies that also PRODUCE. Bollig, Engellend I'm looking right at you as I say that.

Inconsistent goaltending is also an issue. Both our tenders are consistent at letting in one bad goal per game. When that's the only one (or one of two) they let in that's ok, but if the other team actually scores a few good ones, that's the difference between a win and a loss some nights. (Minnesota comes to mind)

Not sure its possible to address tending this season though sadly.

-------------------

I also wonder if it might be time to have Johnny take one game in the press box on this trip. He hasn't played very well the last handful of games. Might need a rest and a chance to look at things again.

Today's game between LAK and SJS is bad for us. Whoever wins leapfrogs us and we'll wind up in 8th.

I'm actually pulling for LA. The only hope we have of hanging on is if both they and the Jets fall off at this point.

Had we won last night, a .500 road trip woud have kept us in. With that loss, we're going to need to win at least 4 of 7 to even hang on to a wild card spot. Hopefully we find the extra gear.

I don't think that size is THAT big of an issue. I haven't really seen our guys get pushed around much other than Johnny really. 

Yes, it would be nice to get a few bigger bodies, but lets get bigger bodies that also PRODUCE. Bollig, Engellend I'm looking right at you as I say that.

Inconsistent goaltending is also an issue. Both our tenders are consistent at letting in one bad goal per game. When that's the only one (or one of two) they let in that's ok, but if the other team actually scores a few good ones, that's the difference between a win and a loss some nights. (Minnesota comes to mind)

Not sure its possible to address tending this season though sadly.

-------------------

I also wonder if it might be time to have Johnny take one game in the press box on this trip. He hasn't played very well the last handful of games. Might need a rest and a chance to look at things again.

I think the hawks are a good blue print for the flames. They won't kill you with their size, but they balance each line with one big body that can produce for every small guy that can produce. The flames need to follow that pattern. 

As Benching Johnny, I think that would be more hazardous to us then beneficial. Yes he as been a minus over the last 4 games, but he's been producing much needed points for this club. He's had four points over his last 5 games.  

That's a good point about the Hawks.  Though we have a decent start if we put Bouma on the shutdown line with Backlund and Jones (as he has been) and Colborne on another with Raymond and Jooris (presuming GlenX gets traded) .

Not sure what we can do for the top line. Neither Bennett or Monahan is big. Johnny is...Johnny, and Hudler is not much over average. Don't remember Poirier's size, but I'm pretty sure he's not overly large either come next year.

I'd like to see Wolf and another big body (Granlund?) on the other side of Stajan though. Bollig is a pylon and doesn't even use his size. Byron can be 13th and swap in depending on team matchup when we need speed.

Johnny's still putting up points as always, but he seems to be having a lot of isues on the defensive side. An unusual number for him. Part of that is perhaps ill-advised matchups, but he's going to have to work on that

It doesn't matter. According to the CBC announcers the superb goaltending of Bernier & the superior skill of all players will have them win 100% of remaining games & be undefeated in playoffs.

I think I'll give up & hop on their bandwagon. :mellow:

Dang, when they lose their jobs as commentators these guys could be good selling used cars. :)

-------------------

I think you are freaking out a bit. We are only out of the playoff race at the end of the season. Every game is going to result in a shuffle of some sort.

Johnny is not the problem. His line often starts in the O-zone, but loses possession shortly thereafter.

I find his game gets better as the game goes on. Most nights, his line is the best on the team. Not always rewarded with goals, but often has multiple chances.

Sorry, meant position, not race. Wrong word. I just prefer not to be chasing a spot.

I don't mean to imply Johnny is a problem. (cough Engellend cough), but he respoded well to having one game off to focus on how to be better offensively. Maybe one game off to analyze defensive play would help? *shrug* I just don't feel he's played as well the last 4 games as he did the 10 before that. Though admittedly he's not the only one, just the one I have the highest hopes for after Sean.

What a dogfight the wild west has become. :o

This road trip may very well decide the Flames playoff hopes.

A 4-3 record will keep us well into the mix. Get it done Flames! B)

Arizona Coyotes join the Oil below the potential playoff cut.

The East has become a little murkier with the Bruins faltering.

202014-15PlayoffProjection2015-02-21_zpsae322

Critical road trip - 4-3 will keep them in the mix but it doesn't get easier after the trip. I am hoping for at least 10-11 pts on the road trip.

The Kings are here to stay - it will be a three way fight between the Jets / Wild / Flames for the final two spots...

The Jets have a tough schedule but they are better team now after the Kane trade. 

The Wild are also surging and I keep waiting for Dubynk to return to regular form but he isn't. At this point they are neck and neck with the Flames. 

The Sharks had a key game against the Kings and didn't even snag a point so I see them fading.

If I was to pick anyone at this point not to make it, it would be the Jets / Sharks...

Love the chart Pyro... keep them coming - check it all the time. They are the stats that really matter... :)  

Really critical road trip. It is looking more and more like Minnesota and LA are in while San Jose is out. Above I talked about Vancouver vs Calgary, but it doesn't look like Vancouver is going to fall out on their own and it will be tough for Calgary to overtake them. It looks like Winnipeg might be the target again.

Hopefully Calgary is still in a playoff spot come tomorrow and manages the win. We got to overcome our issues with teams in the East or we are going to fall out completely.

The road trip is even more make-or-break than we expected. Hopefully we can come out of it with a good number of points. We shall see.

Vancouver is about on par with Calgary the last 10-15 games in terms of point pace. If they lose to the Islanders tonight (hopefully) then we're essentially neck and neck.

LA has apparently decided to turn it on, and unless they regress, they're looking like they'll lock up 2nd in the division. Too bad given they looked like they might be out just two weeks ago.

Really Calgary or Vancouver could snag the third spot. But that leaves 4 teams competing fr the 2 wild cards and the 1 pacific spot.

Jets look like they might be fading even with the trade, and that's going to help us if they do, but right now, every game is a must win if we're going to stay in the race.

Unless Dallas beats the Wild tonight, we're on the outside looking in.

This road trip is really the turning point IMHO. We laid an egg in the 3rd against ANA. This teams adversity to over come adversity has been impressive. They will either rise to the occasion as they have all year or the let down from the ANA game will spiral them out of contention. If the Flames pull off some points in the next couple games, I believe they make it.

With Van losing Miller in net this may make them vulnerable to a slump and possible drop. I don't think anyone ever seriously considered the Nucks missing the show because they are fairly consistent and have maintained position for the most part all year. 

Without Miller though I see them as a possible fade, if they hit any kind of losing streak... 

With Van losing Miller in net this may make them vulnerable to a slump and possible drop. I don't think anyone ever seriously considered the Nucks missing the show because they are fairly consistent and have maintained position for the most part all year. 

Without Miller though I see them as a possible fade, if they hit any kind of losing streak... 

Lack is pretty solid so i wouldn't count them out but yea, not as good as Miller has been this season.  Lack vs Miller may mean the difference between 2 to 4 points from here on in so that makes a huge difference for this playoff race. 

Lack is pretty solid so i wouldn't count them out but yea, not as good as Miller has been this season.  Lack vs Miller may mean the difference between 2 to 4 points from here on in so that makes a huge difference for this playoff race. 

I felt that Miller was the reason that the Blues got ousted last season.  I figure that even with Miller, they are barely above 500 from here on out.

Lack has been the more consistent goalie of the two.

Miller has been getting more starts because of his contract and because of his history. I think the Canucks players believe in lack more, while their injuries are bringing them closer together as a team.

It's going to be a dog fight.,

If the hockey gods aren't on our side to make the playoffs, hope they are in the lottery.

I still think they should televise the actual balls being picked and should run it through for every team not in the playoffs. It would make more entertainment.

Meaning you have no clue where you pick until each ball comes out of the machine.

The last team who just missed the playoffs still has a chance to move up spots. The last place team in the league has the opportunity / misfortune of their ball come out at any point, so could drop 4-5 spots if that happens. Being weighted, it would be unlikely, but that chance is there.

Archived