Call ups

Krule

Players who are waiver eligible, to my knowledge, still need to clear waivers to be sent down and can still be claimed by other teams. The trade deadline is just that... the TRADE deadline. I seem to recall last season someone got taken off of waivers by a team with only 15 games left but I could be wrong.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I could find about players being sent down or recalled after the trade deadline was this:

Following the conclusion of the Regular Season, no Player may be Recalled from Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL, except that: (i) a Club may exercise an unlimited number of additional regular Recalls, provided that it may have no more than three (3) Players on its Active Roster who were Recalled by way of regular Recall after the Trade Deadline. However, if a Club has Recalled four (4) Players pursuant to Section 13.12(l) above, such Club will instead be permitted to retain those four (4) Players on its Active Roster following the conclusion of the Regular Season.

There may be other references but my eyes were starting to go crossed from trying to read the CBA. :wacko:

I think players are subject to waivers right up to the end of the regular season.

The NHL waiver period begins 12 days prior to the the regular season start & ends the day after a team’s last game.

Perhaps the confusion resulted from the significance of the NHL trade deadline on minor league reassignments & recalls.

Only those players who have been recalled from an AHL club following the NHL trade deadline may be returned to the AHL during the remainder of the season.

Wotherspoon & Granlund were assigned to Adirondack so they could be called up & reassigned to ADK after the TDL.

Re-calling Shore after the deadline also allows him to be reassigned to Adirondack but:

If he doesn't play for Calgary - No waivers if he is reassigned to Adirondack

If he plays 1 game: Eligible for waivers upon reassignment to Adirondack until end of season

I don't think Shore is eligible to go back down as he was called up prior to the 2pm deadline, meaning he was not on the AHL roster and is therefore unavailable to go down. Ferland, Poirier, Granlund and Wotherspoon were all put on the AHL roster prior to that deadline and are available to move up and down. This makes sense as Shore is waiver eligible after one more game and is an RFA so we need to give him a chance to show if he can fit on the roster. If he does make an impact and earns a cintract, it will raise some interesting roster issues going into next year...

Making a correction. It's hard to find info on the pre-TDL or post-TDL timing of the transaction:

Drew Shore recalled by Calgary - poststar.com

...Shore will not be back for the rest of the season. He was not on the AHL roster at 3 p.m. and is thus not eligible to be sent down for the rest of the season (including playoffs).

This makes sense since Shore can only play one more game and remain waiver eligible. If he plays two, he's have to clear waivers to return to the AHL and he's not likely to clear. By recalling Shore before the deadline, Calgary did not have to use one of their four non-emergency recalls...

Still confused based on this article as I thought his waiver eligibility kicks in after only 1 more NHL game played.

Since he can't play in Adirondack anyway the wavering question is null & void.

Contrary to some other dubious sites, Ferland & Poirier are still in Calgary so their AHL seasons are over too.

Making a correction. It's hard to find info on the pre-TDL or post-TDL timing of the transaction:

Still confused based on this article as I thought his waiver eligibility kicks in after only 1 more NHL game played.

Since he can't play in Adirondack anyway the wavering question is null & void.

Contrary to some other dubious sites, Ferland & Poirier are still in Calgary so their AHL seasons are over too.

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg

· Mar 2

#Flames assigned Michael Ferland, Emile Poirier, and Markus Granlund to Adirondack prior to the deadline.

Must have been a paper transaction, since they were back before the ink dried.

Shore has played very well tonight. He had a few good defensive plays, good on the forecheck and has won 5 of 7 draws.

So, who does he replace? Stajan? Take the 3rd line center and shift Jooris to the RW and Colborne to the 4th line?

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg

· Mar 2

#Flames assigned Michael Ferland, Emile Poirier, and Markus Granlund to Adirondack prior to the deadline.

Must have been a paper transaction, since they were back before the ink dried.

Still not posted on AHL transactions or seen in any web/print media??

Granlund, Wotherspoon return; Poirier, Ferland eligible - poststar.com

Mystery deepens & I am still not sure of Ferland & Poirier's status.

Perhaps a hardcore Fan960 listener can fill us in on the truth.

So, who does he replace? Stajan? Take the 3rd line center and shift Jooris to the RW and Colborne to the 4th line?

I would shift Jooris to RW , I like him better on the wing anyways. I would play Colborne ahead of Jooris in the lineup, but that is just me. Jooris has been a great story and has worked his butt off, but I think he is better suited for the 4th line.

They were paper transactions to make sure they can play AHL playoffs if need be. At least that's what a few people had on twitter that follow the flames.

I liked Shores game last night too. He has been money on draws at the NHL level right now so I would keep him at center and shift Jooris to the wing. Nothing against Jooris I just like shore more down the middle and I think either can play te wing just fine. If Shore keeps operating at this pace faceoffs wise an the flames get Stajan back they will be a solid faceoffs team for once

Still not posted on AHL transactions or seen in any web/print media??

Granlund, Wotherspoon return; Poirier, Ferland eligible - poststar.com

Mystery deepens & I am still not sure of Ferland & Poirier's status.

Perhaps a hardcore Fan960 listener can fill us in on the truth.

There is a very slim chance that Poirier and Ferland will go back this season. But I think we needed that flexibility considering some of the injury unknowns (Smid and Byron), and Matty's non-roster status.

I definitely think the long term plan for Jooris has to be RW. he had some spark with Gaudreau and Hudler earlier and I think Hartley is trying our a few different alignments. I actually liked the line combinations last night.

Raymond, Monahan, Hudler

Gaudreau, Jooris, Colborne

Bouma, Backlund, Jones

Ferland, Shore, Poirier

I definitely think the long term plan for Jooris has to be RW. he had some spark with Gaudreau and Hudler earlier and I think Hartley is trying our a few different alignments. I actually liked the line combinations last night.

Raymond, Monahan, Hudler

Gaudreau, Jooris, Colborne

Bouma, Backlund, Jones

Ferland, Shore, Poirier

I'm not sure it is time yet, but Johnny/Jooris/Poirier would be a good idea. Johnny seemed to be at the top of his game with Arnold (RHS). Poirier seems to have the grit, speed, and finish to keep up these guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Granlund called up today, as per Flames website. Anyone know why? We have 23 healthy bodies and Byron is back to skating. Poirier, Shore and Potter all are here as well. Am I missing another transaction?

Jooris and Shore are banged up so that is why Granlund was called up. Also after the trade deadline the active roster opens up so that you can have as many players as you want as long as you are under the salary cap.

Jooris and Shore are banged up so that is why Granlund was called up. Also after the trade deadline the active roster opens up so that you can have as many players as you want as long as you are under the salary cap.

Did not know that. Too bad though, when players are healthy, but not playing (Poirier). It robs the baby Flames of players when they need it too. Oh well, at least Poirier may get some games in this season yet.

Did not know that. Too bad though, when players are healthy, but not playing (Poirier). It robs the baby Flames of players when they need it too. Oh well, at least Poirier may get some games in this season yet.

Too soon to say it is robbing them. They are on target to make the playoffs. I suppose you could say it robbed them in hindsight if they fail to make it.

Hartley talked about Ferland in lineup and said he brings a physical component to game the Flames will need tonight.

Too soon to say it is robbing them. They are on target to make the playoffs. I suppose you could say it robbed them in hindsight if they fail to make it.

Hartley talked about Ferland in lineup and said he brings a physical component to game the Flames will need tonight.

Just saying that generally. Having Spoon, Baertschi and others sit in the pressbox earlier in the season, while they could have been adding offense to the baby Flames has put them in a precarious situation. They may still make it, but they are not a shoe-in.

As far as the Flames are concerned, it makes sense to have these guys available at a moment's notice. Making a run at the NHL playoffs is key, so the baby Flames take a back seat.

• 4 weeks later...

That's if they have given up all hope of home ice advantage against the Canucks.

If that's the case, I would play as many rookies as we are allowed to by the league.

I believe that if Calgary wins against Winnipeg and Vancouver loses to Edmonton, the Flames would have home ice advantage.

Unfortunately, the Flames/Jets game starts first so Calgary's line-up decisions must made first.

I would be willing to guess he'll give most of the vets and big guns either time off or reduced ice time to give the others a game of play since any or all of them could wind up in the playoffs in a matter of days.

Ortio likely to start I'd bet.

Id be curious to see a Gaudrau-Monahan-Poirier line.

Archived