Call ups

Krule

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Granlund (for Matty) - need for a natural center in case Matty is out for a bit.

Ferland (for Colborne) - ability to play LW or RW, slick hands and big bruiser.

Baertschi (for Raymond) - skill player

Baertschi may not have "earned" the callup based on his play in Addy, but the team is starting off slow. Prior to being cut, he had some good games, but fell victim to the flue when he needed to play. Giving him a callup is a good-faith move on BT's part. If he raises his game, then you reward him. If his game still needs work for the NHL level, you send him back upon injury return.

Granlund (for Matty) - need for a natural center in case Matty is out for a bit.

Ferland (for Colborne) - ability to play LW or RW, slick hands and big bruiser.

Baertschi (for Raymond) - skill player

Baertschi may not have "earned" the callup based on his play in Addy, but the team is starting off slow. Prior to being cut, he had some good games, but fell victim to the flue when he needed to play. Giving him a callup is a good-faith move on BT's part. If he raises his game, then you reward him. If his game still needs work for the NHL level, you send him back upon injury return.

Jones was reinstated from the IR and effectively took Raymond's spot on the roster, there is no room to call up Baertschi.

Jones was reinstated from the IR and effectively took Raymond's spot on the roster, there is no room to call up Baertschi.

I get that. Didn't post it in this thread, but I was thinking that Seto would be sent down. He isn't playing well enough to replace Jooris, Bouma or Bollig, let alone Jones or Byron.

I get that. Didn't post it in this thread, but I was thinking that Seto would be sent down. He isn't playing well enough to replace Jooris, Bouma or Bollig, let alone Jones or Byron.

Baertschi isn't playing well enough to replace any of the players you listed. Yo call Baertschi up to sit in the press box doesn't make much sense.

I get that Setoguchi hasn't been playing well, but I would rather see him in the press box than a young player.

Jones played very well last night coming back from injury, he was probably the 2nd best forward after Gaudreau. He was using his size and strength well. Calgary needs his size and physical presence in the lineup.

Jooris is the perfect complement to the Bollig and Bouma on the 4th line.

Bollig is getting better after a slow start. He provides some muscle and is willing to step up for teammates.

Bouma and Byron two of the top penalty killers and are willing to go through a wall for the team, both have earned their spots in the line up.

I can't see Baertschi getting in the lineup in place of any these players. Leave him in Adirondack. With guys like Granlund and Ferland potentially getting called up Baertschi will get more minutes and better chances to turn it around.

Baertschi isn't playing well enough to replace any of the players you listed. Yo call Baertschi up to sit in the press box doesn't make much sense.

I get that Setoguchi hasn't been playing well, but I would rather see him in the press box than a young player.

Jones played very well last night coming back from injury, he was probably the 2nd best forward after Gaudreau. He was using his size and strength well. Calgary needs his size and physical presence in the lineup.

Jooris is the perfect complement to the Bollig and Bouma on the 4th line.

Bollig is getting better after a slow start. He provides some muscle and is willing to step up for teammates.

Bouma and Byron two of the top penalty killers and are willing to go through a wall for the team, both have earned their spots in the line up.

I can't see Baertschi getting in the lineup in place of any these players. Leave him in Adirondack. With guys like Granlund and Ferland potentially getting called up Baertschi will get more minutes and better chances to turn it around.

I won't argue whether Baertschi is playing well or not, because I haven't seen him play at all in Addy. Ferland and Granlund have more points. That says they found the net. I haven't seen any review to say that Baertsci is dogging it and those guys are killing it. Sven may be still one season away from being effective n the NHL, but I just don't know.

Jooris, Setoguchi and Bollig are only in converation if they continue to earn their spots in the lineup. Jooris is currently a better option than McGrattan on the 4th line. He is not taking dumb penalties and keeps the puck out of the net. He wasn't used on the PK last night and his ice time didn't change with Colborne and Stajan injuries. That is fine, since he an Bouma both give 100% effort. If that tails off, or the coach believes he needs to get more ice time to work on different things, he will go back to the farm.

Any callup is going to depend on the need. If they need a skilled C, then Granlund is the best choice. If they need a skilled winger with NHL experience, then Sven fits the bill. If they need a truculent winger that can hit, fight and finish, then the choice is Ferland. If they only need one guy, it is most likely Granlund.

I won't argue whether Baertschi is playing well or not, because I haven't seen him play at all in Addy. Ferland and Granlund have more points. That says they found the net. I haven't seen any review to say that Baertsci is dogging it and those guys are killing it. Sven may be still one season away from being effective n the NHL, but I just don't know.

Jooris, Setoguchi and Bollig are only in converation if they continue to earn their spots in the lineup. Jooris is currently a better option than McGrattan on the 4th line. He is not taking dumb penalties and keeps the puck out of the net. He wasn't used on the PK last night and his ice time didn't change with Colborne and Stajan injuries. That is fine, since he an Bouma both give 100% effort. If that tails off, or the coach believes he needs to get more ice time to work on different things, he will go back to the farm.

Any callup is going to depend on the need. If they need a skilled C, then Granlund is the best choice. If they need a skilled winger with NHL experience, then Sven fits the bill. If they need a truculent winger that can hit, fight and finish, then the choice is Ferland. If they only need one guy, it is most likely Granlund.

I agree if comes down to one guy regardless of position it will be Granlund. He is easily the most NHL ready prospect in the system.

Ferland will be the next option. I think Setoguchi gets used before Ferland gets called up. Ferland is very close to being NHL ready and so is Baertschi but both still have things to work on. The will have better opportunities to work on their weaknesses in the AHL. In the mean time Setoguchi can fill in just fine as a short term injury replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ferland gets rewarded for his good start in Adirondack with a few games.

I agree if comes down to one guy regardless of position it will be Granlund. He is easily the most NHL ready prospect in the system.

Ferland will be the next option. I think Setoguchi gets used before Ferland gets called up. Ferland is very close to being NHL ready and so is Baertschi but both still have things to work on. The will have better opportunities to work on their weaknesses in the AHL. In the mean time Setoguchi can fill in just fine as a short term injury replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ferland gets rewarded for his good start in Adirondack with a few games.

Matty sounds like a long-term injury (possible ligament damage), so I expect him to go on IR today.

That creates space for Granlund right away. Colborne may not go on IR.

Addy plays tonight, so if one (or more) guys don't dress, it likely means a callup is coming. As it stands right now, we can't call up anybody without a roster move or IR placement.

Granlund will fill in for Stajan just fine. With Colborne day to day the line combos could be interesting for Friday.

Hudler/Monahan/Jones

Gaudreau/Backlund/Byron

Glencross/Granlund/Jooris

Bollig/Bouma/Setoguchi

Hopefully Colborne can get back in the line up quickly. He has been off to a great start.

I think the flames need to allow Baertschi to get comfortable somewhere and work on his game for a more prolonged period. Constantly shuffling him up and down is not going to help him regardless if he is ready or not. I think Baertschi needs to spend at least the next month or two in the AHL. I get everyone wants to see what the flames have but they have to keep his development in mind.

Granlund is the only player on the farm worthy of a call-up right now.

Well since we don't have much info I think that is not a valid assessment. Based on pts alone both Granlund and Ferland deserve a shot. I wouldn't hesitate with Baertschi as well, he's already proven he can play at the NHL level.

Ferland just got called up as well --> http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=736921

Flames recall Michael Ferland

The Calgary Flames announced today that they have recalled forward Michael Ferland from the Adirondack Flames of the American Hockey League.

Ferland, a 22-year-old native of Swan River, Manitoba has played in nine games with Adirondack this season where he leads the team in scoring with four goals and five assists for nine points and nine penalty minutes and has a team high +6 rating.

The Flames also announced that centre Mikael Backlund has been placed on Injured Reserve (week-to-week).

With Backlund out now the line up gets really interesting.

GlenX/Monahan/Hudler

Gaudreau/Grandlund/Ferland

Bollig/Byron/Jones

Jooris/Bouma/Seto or McG

That's just a guess. Really tough to know.

My reasoning is

Monahan-Hudler is great. GlenX usually plays with Monahan on the PP so could stick them together on a line.

Grandlund and Ferland play together in Addy. Ferland can bring the truculence to the line and the G's have skill.

Byron's played center before. Bollig is probably shuffled up a spot and provides toughness with Jones.

Jooris and Bouma stays on 4th line, with Seto or McG slotting in on the right.

Granlund will fill in for Stajan just fine. With Colborne day to day the line combos could be interesting for Friday.

Hudler/Monahan/Jones
Gaudreau/Backlund/Byron
Glencross/Granlund/Jooris
Bollig/Bouma/Setoguchi

I'm sad to see Backlund get hurt, but at the same time i'm beyond excited to possibly see a line of Gaudreau/Granlund/Ferland in the NHL.

November isnt even here yet and were getting the injury's rolling in.

I wish the injuries weren't to key players like Backlund, Stajan and Colborne

I get nervous about playing 3 rookies on one line.

I wish the injuries weren't to key players like Backlund, Stajan and Colborne

I get nervous about playing 3 rookies on one line.

That is the drawback to that line. If you've got some other ideas, I want to know. We lost 3 people who were centers at the start of the year. That's why I said it was so hard to try and predict.

Archived