Flames Defense

CheersMan

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Only thing missing is playing Engelland as a RW.  :ph34r:

You can tell GG wants to utilize the experience he has available to him and he has a lot of faith in Engelland (maybe to much). If he is going to try and max out in this fashion I agree with your one pairings option

Giordano, Hamilton

Brodie, Wideman

Jokipakka, Engelland

Kulak ( rotate Kulak and Jokipakka for playing time)

Nakladal's contract was just terminated by the Canes.  Wonder if there is any value in bringing him back.  He was passable here, and after this season, we lose two RHS players on defense.  He had a good point shot on the PP.  He wasn't a tire fire on defense.  Overall, a better player than Wotherspoon.  Worth a contract?

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Nakladal's contract was just terminated by the Canes.  Wonder if there is any value in bringing him back.  He was passable here, and after this season, we lose two RHS players on defense.  He had a good point shot on the PP.  He wasn't a tire fire on defense.  Overall, a better player than Wotherspoon.  Worth a contract?

No offence to you TD, but many people have stated they are tired of veterans taking spots from the young guys on D. I dont think nak is similar to wideman(hes the only defender I dont like), but hes not better then anyone we have in our lineup right now, and personally I dont think we will need him next year, as kulak among others will be that much more ready.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

AHL maybe but until Wideman is gone I don't see the point.

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Unless they are in breach of the contract, the only way for a contract to be terminated is if the player agrees to it. Pretty likely that Nak has a conract to go overseas otherwise it doesn't make sense why he would agree to have his deal terminated. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Unless they are in breach of the contract, the only way for a contract to be terminated is if the player agrees to it. Pretty likely that Nak has a conract to go overseas otherwise it doesn't make sense why he would agree to have his deal terminated. 

Same situation as Grossman really.  Team tried to send him down, and he decided he had better options than playing for an AHL salary.  End result is both sides part ways.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

It was confirmed that he failed to report.  The thought is he will go to Europe.  Unless a NHL team signs him.  He doesn't really fit the Flames need right now, but things can change overnight.  If there was a pending trade.  If they prefer to go with 8D and 13F.  He would be a better option for the Flames after the TDL, assuming they can trade one of the vets on an expiring contract.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It was confirmed that he failed to report.  The thought is he will go to Europe.  Unless a NHL team signs him.  He doesn't really fit the Flames need right now, but things can change overnight.  If there was a pending trade.  If they prefer to go with 8D and 13F.  He would be a better option for the Flames after the TDL, assuming they can trade one of the vets on an expiring contract.

Why bother ? promote from within.

42 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

For a RHS, Morrison is fine.  Many here don't have any faith on Spoon.

I do, I think Wotherspoon has proved more than capable. He just doesn't have the offensive upside as Kulak or Jokipakka, which is why he is in AHL. Good for a call up. Morrison I think is 24 and showed well I thought during camp.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎16 at 2:08 PM, travel_dude said:

For a RHS, Morrison is fine.  Many here don't have any faith on Spoon.

How has Morrison been playing in the AHL ? Anyone have any thoughts on Morrison being a call up at some point rather than trading for someone such as Stone ARZ as cross16 suggests ? I thought Morrison had an impressive camp and was aggressive.

35 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

How has Morrison been playing in the AHL ? Anyone have any thoughts on Morrison being a call up at some point rather than trading for someone such as Stone ARZ as cross16 suggests ? I thought Morrison had an impressive camp and was aggressive.

Hes off to a pretty bad start. 1 point in 12 games and a -4. From what I've read, not playing well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone explain to me the logic in giving Engelland and Wideman more ice time than Hamilton?  Hamilton's been playing well, and his advanced stats recently are actually terrific.  Yet for some reason Engelland and Wideman continue to be given priority over Hamilton.  What does GG have against Hamilton?

Also pretty incredible that both Wideman and Brodie were -1 last night....on a night when we outscored our opponents by 5 goals.  That's crazy.  Brodie really needs to get his game together; he's a shell of the impact player he was the previous 2-3 years.  Wideman...well...he just needs to be traded.  He brings some assets to the table, but I think he's more of a liability than anything else.

3 minutes ago, YounGuns said:

Can anyone explain to me the logic in giving Engelland and Wideman more ice time than Hamilton?  Hamilton's been playing well, and his advanced stats recently are actually terrific.  Yet for some reason Engelland and Wideman continue to be given priority over Hamilton.  What does GG have against Hamilton?

Also pretty incredible that both Wideman and Brodie were -1 last night....on a night when we outscored our opponents by 5 goals.  That's crazy.  Brodie really needs to get his game together; he's a shell of the impact player he was the previous 2-3 years.  Wideman...well...he just needs to be traded.  He brings some assets to the table, but I think he's more of a liability than anything else.

Im not just pointing the finger at you, but I think people need to stop pointing the finger asking why ferland and hamilton arent being played more then they are. They are both playing well in the mins they are getting, hamilton is getting pp time and pk time unlike last year. Im assuming whats happening is, they dont want to throw hammy to the wolves by giving him 1st unit pk mins, big even strength mins and then pk mins on top of that. When we look at the last game against anaheim we are talking a minute in difference for ice time between him and wideman, Minnesota it was the same thing. We already have brodie and gio playing big mins, I dont think this is the same situation as BH where wideman is getting 6 more mins a night then hammy, its not the end of the world in my opinion. 

Would I like to see hammy play more, sure. But at this point im assuming there its more like balancing the mins for hammy and the other D men then GG having a hate on. Some players just play better in less mins, its not a bad thing.

26 minutes ago, YounGuns said:

It has nothing to do with advanced stats or ice time. GG has been trying with little success to find equal pairings he can rotate instead of 1 top pairing, 2nd pairing etc. He wants to balance the pairings as best he can. As for Engelland he has been our most consistant D all season. Gio and Brodie started out slow and Hamilton almost sucked no matter who he was paired with. Thats your logic...

16 hours ago, YounGuns said:

Well first off, I think it's unfair to say a coach has something against a player that he is playing 20 mins a night. If you are willing to play a Dman 20 mins a night (which is basically what Hamilton has averaged recently) you clearly have some faith in him. 

Looking at the overal ice time is also very miss leading. if you looked over the last few weeks I found more often than not Hamilton is leading Engelland and Wideman in 5 on 5 TOI and what is varying the overall minutes in the special teams. Hamilton's TOI gets influenced by the PP and the Flames just don't generate alot of PP opportunities. he plays some on the PK but I understand why Gulutzan would not lean on him heavily there. I think Hamilton is getting better int he D zone but when he is in there he is still making errors that are tough to tolerate and yes I would even suggest Widmean plays better in the D zone than Hamilton. Hamilton is one of the Flames worst defenders when it comes to shots against allowed, chances allowed and high danger chances allowed. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Well first off, I think it's unfair to say a coach has something against a player that he is playing 20 mins a night. If you are willing to play a Dman 20 mins a night (which is basically what Hamilton has averaged recently) you clearly have some faith in him. 

Looking at the overal ice time is also very miss leading. if you looked over the last few weeks I found more often than not Hamilton is leading Engelland and Wideman in 5 on 5 TOI and what is varying the overall minutes in the special teams. Hamilton's TOI gets influenced by the PP and the Flames just don't generate alot of PP opportunities. he plays some on the PK but I understand why Gulutzan would not lean on him heavily there. I think Hamilton is getting better int he D zone but when he is in there he is still making errors that are tough to tolerate and yes I would even suggest Widmean plays better in the D zone than Hamilton. Hamilton is one of the Flames worst defenders when it comes to shots against allowed, chances allowed and high danger chances allowed. 

I agree, Hamilton should be getting somewhere around 20-21 minutes per game, which is generally what he's been getting lately.  His strong points are his offense and the fact that he controls the play better than any other defender on the Flames (leads in possession, not even that close).  His weakness as you say is giving up too many high danger chances.  He's just below Wideman in team Sv% when on the ice, and only Brodie has been worse.

What will the future hold?

At least one D must be signed prior to the expansion draft.

“One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

3 UFAs:

Engelland – RD, I wouldn’t mind him back as the 3rd pairing RD, but it would need to be at half of his current $2.75M salary.

Smid – LD, say good bye to him & his $3.5M Cap Hit.

Wideman – RD, adios to Dennis & his $5.25M Hit.

5 RFAs:

Culkin – LD, so many injuries, it may be time to give up on him.

Jokipakka – LD, if re-signed, a candidate to be claimed by Vegas, 3rd pairing if not claimed.

Kulak – LD, good enough as a # 6 or 7.

Morrison – RD, he’ll be 25, might time to move on from him.

Wotherspoon – LD, another one good enough to be # 6 or 7.

After the expansion draft, I still see the need to sign another defenseman to play on the 2nd pairing. I’m thinking of someone who skates well, has decent size, and plays a 50/50 offense/defense game. You know, a younger Mark Giordano type, ha, ha.

Right now, there doesn’t appear to be many 2017 UFAs that would fit our need. I don’t think that you want to pay your # 4 D much over $3M. For that money, you’re looking at someone like Brenden Smith or Kris Russell, lol.

Calgary may have to look at trading picks/prospects for that D, that we probably only need for two or three seasons.

2017/2018

Giordano – Brodie

“Gio Lite” – Hamilton

Jokipakka/Kulak/Wotherspoon – Engelland/another inexpensive vet.

2018/2019

I predict that we will see both Andersson & Kylington on the Flame’s roster, likely together as the 3rd pairing.

I project Andersson’s high end as 2nd pairing RD and 2nd PP. His low end may be 3rd pairing RD and 2nd PP.

My expectations for Kylington are much the same, only on the left side.

18 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

What will the future hold?

At least one D must be signed prior to the expansion draft.

“One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and B) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

3 UFAs:

Engelland – RD, I wouldn’t mind him back as the 3rd pairing RD, but it would need to be at half of his current $2.75M salary.

Smid – LD, say good bye to him & his $3.5M Cap Hit.

Wideman – RD, adios to Dennis & his $5.25M Hit.

5 RFAs:

Culkin – LD, so many injuries, it may be time to give up on him.

Jokipakka – LD, if re-signed, a candidate to be claimed by Vegas, 3rd pairing if not claimed.

Kulak – LD, good enough as a # 6 or 7.

Morrison – RD, he’ll be 25, might time to move on from him.

Wotherspoon – LD, another one good enough to be # 6 or 7.

After the expansion draft, I still see the need to sign another defenseman to play on the 2nd pairing. I’m thinking of someone who skates well, has decent size, and plays a 50/50 offense/defense game. You know, a younger Mark Giordano type, ha, ha.

Right now, there doesn’t appear to be many 2017 UFAs that would fit our need. I don’t think that you want to pay your # 4 D much over $3M. For that money, you’re looking at someone like Brenden Smith or Kris Russell, lol.

Calgary may have to look at trading picks/prospects for that D, that we probably only need for two or three seasons.

2017/2018

Giordano – Brodie

“Gio Lite” – Hamilton

Jokipakka/Kulak/Wotherspoon – Engelland/another inexpensive vet.

2018/2019

I predict that we will see both Andersson & Kylington on the Flame’s roster, likely together as the 3rd pairing.

I project Andersson’s high end as 2nd pairing RD and 2nd PP. His low end may be 3rd pairing RD and 2nd PP.

My expectations for Kylington are much the same, only on the left side.

Why do you think GG will put Brodie back on the RHS ?

29 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Brodie has usually played better on the right side during his career.

If GG prefers him on the left; then we will be looking for a 2nd pairing RD, a much rarer animal in the NHL.

Brodie did play well during the playoffs with engelland. He didnt really look on the right side during his run with Gio this year, im more inclinded to keep him on the left. But as you said trying to find a top 4 right shot D men would be crazy difficult. The only way we get lucky with that if someone off the farm is ready next year for the NHL. Theres always the possibility that we try for someone like shattenkirk or stone from arizona both would be good options for our second pairing.  

11 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Brodie has usually played better on the right side during his career.

If GG prefers him on the left; then we will be looking for a 2nd pairing RD, a much rarer animal in the NHL.

This is true. The only inhouse options will be Morrison and Andersson as RHS defensemen. May be time for a trade this offseason.

On 12/11/2016 at 9:09 PM, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Brodie did play well during the playoffs with engelland. He didnt really look on the right side during his run with Gio this year, im more inclinded to keep him on the left. But as you said trying to find a top 4 right shot D men would be crazy difficult. The only way we get lucky with that if someone off the farm is ready next year for the NHL. Theres always the possibility that we try for someone like shattenkirk or stone from arizona both would be good options for our second pairing.  

Pretty minute on Shattenkirk (who is going to command upwards of 6.5-7million as a FA) but I do think Stone is a real possiblity. I see Stone similar to Cody Franson in that I don't think the league will compeltely buy him into him as a top 4 blueliner despite some advanced stats being in his favor. He is also coming off a major knee injury so there may be a possiblity that he could be had on a shorter term deal for 4mill or less and with Treivling and Maloney here, maybe they work the familiary concept. He is a great fit for what they need.

I personally think Brodie is taking too much heat from fans this year. Sure he was terrible for the first month or so but since the pairings were solidifed he's been playing very well IMO. Could play better yes, but for a veteran dman to be learning a new side, learning new coach/new system and doing it with a pretty so/so defensive partner I think more focus should be on the positives with Brodie and not the negatives. Too early for me to say he has to be a Right side dman next year.