The Official Calgary Flames "New Arena" thread

DirtyDeeds

On October 17, 2017 at 9:43 PM, stubblejumper1 said:

All class.  What an embarrassment for the organization.

classy.PNG

It is embarrassing and counter productive to future discussions. If Nenshi had any doubts about his position on the arena, they were likely eliminated by the results of the election and this late night post/retraction. If this was from the Director of Communications and Media Relations, I would not want to see what the inarticulate folks in the organization are saying about Nenshi.

• 5 weeks later...

well I guess it is working the owner ship wants to move this team and they won the Flames will be going to Huston by 2019 at the latest. They don't want to look like the bad guys so the pointing figures at Nenshi worked perfectly. They knew it would piss him off and it would stop any future conversation on the building of a new arena here in CGY. Of course they don't want to make the owner ship look bad they also don't want to let the Fans know they will be moving on for fear of the fans no longer going to the games I don't bother commenting any more but I just had to see how the ppl on this forum would handle the fact that the flames will be no longer be here in the next few yrs. I myself be leave it to be a close to a fact but curios how others on here are going to handle not having a NHL team here in Calgary any more?     

15 minutes ago, zima said:

well I guess it is working the owner ship wants to move this team and they won the Flames will be going to Huston by 2019 at the latest. They don't want to look like the bad guys so the pointing figures at Nenshi worked perfectly. They knew it would piss him off and it would stop any future conversation on the building of a new arena here in CGY. Of course they don't want to make the owner ship look bad they also don't want to let the Fans know they will be moving on for fear of the fans no longer going to the games I don't bother commenting any more but I just had to see how the ppl on this forum would handle the fact that the flames will be no longer be here in the next few yrs. I myself be leave it to be a close to a fact but curios how others on here are going to handle not having a NHL team here in Calgary any more?     

If the Flames move to Houston, it won't be "moving".  It would be the owners "selling" the team.  The Houston guy who owns the Rockets and the arena wants to own an NHL team.

Do the Flames ownership want to sell?  I doubt it.  I think they want to move to a place like Seattle, get a killer arena deal, increase the value of the franchise as a result, and then sell at that time if they wish.

Good point but either way the team will be gone in the next few yrs I think it is there way of moving the team and put the blame on some one else. They don't want to look like they are the bad guys but they also won't admit they are moving because they fear fans would stop going to games.

7 minutes ago, zima said:

Good point but either way the team will be gone in the next few yrs I think it is there way of moving the team and put the blame on some one else. They don't want to look like they are the bad guys but they also won't admit they are moving because they fear fans would stop going to games.

It's not possible to go stealth.  At some point, they have to launch ticket sales in Houston.  They can theoretically never make an official announcement to Calgary that they are leaving but they should definitely make an official announcement to Houston that they are coming.  I would say at least one season in advanced.  

There will be a lame duck season here no matter what.  It cannot be avoided.  There may even be two season's worth.

Funny I was listening to sportsnet and im not sure his name but he feels Huston will not see a team for a few yrs and he be leaves that the Coyotes or another team in as much trouble will go before CGY the guy thinks CGY will never move because the team is to good as far as stability goes. 

1 hour ago, zima said:

What facts do you have that they want to move this team?

If they indeed move the team, I don't think very many people are going to blame just Nenshi. There would be plenty of blame to go around.

Just for the record Seattle isn't getting a new arena, they are just refurbishing their existing arena.

1 hour ago, zima said:

Funny I was listening to sportsnet and im not sure his name but he feels Houston will not see a team for a few yrs and he be leaves that the Coyotes or another team in as much trouble will go before CGY the guy thinks CGY will never move because the team is to good as far as stability goes. 

It's Houston (named after Sam Houston). I'll let the other errors go but I have a good deal of admiration for old Sam.

But Arizona (as usual), Carolina & Florida are the 3 most likely to move. Add Colorado as a dark horse.

Calgary (& Ottawa) still make money for the league despite the Gnome pointing out both need a new arena while those I mention survive on league welfare.

3 hours ago, zima said:

I just had to see how the ppl on this forum would handle the fact that the flames will be no longer be here in the next few yrs

Fact?...   :lol:

2 hours ago, zima said:

Funny I was listening to sportsnet and im not sure his name but he feels Huston will not see a team for a few yrs and he be leaves that the Coyotes or another team in as much trouble will go before CGY the guy thinks CGY will never move because the team is to good as far as stability goes. 

Well it's sure a good thing that you didn't take your earlier stated fact as actually being a fact then isn't it...   :lol:

Gezz how did I know you would be there like a dirty shirt to point out I don't have the foggiest keep up the good work Carty you are so right im wrong .I beleave I was the 1 to point out that sportsnet conversation pointed out I was wrong which means I did point out I was wrong so curios as to why you had to point out I said fact when I already said I was wrong by pointing out an opinion of some one else. Any way I guess you just feel really good in pointing out how wrong I was good work Carty ;)

1 hour ago, zima said:

Gezz how did I know you would be there like a dirty shirt to point out I don't have the foggiest keep up the good work Carty you are so right im wrong .I beleave I was the 1 to point out that sportsnet conversation pointed out I was wrong which means I did point out I was wrong so curios as to why you had to point out I said fact when I already said I was wrong by pointing out an opinion of some one else. Any way I guess you just feel really good in pointing out how wrong I was good work Carty ;)

Zima, you have to be careful when you base opinions on things said in the media.  Sometimes they are trying to create controversy over nothing.  Sometimes they are repeating their own opinions.  Sometimes they are dead wrong.

Your opinion here is welcome, but if you make statements that something is a fact, someone is going to call you on it.  Even if it may be close to true.  ;)   

Guess what I did tell everyone that I was wrong before Carty decided to comment on my comment. But even though I corrected my comment of it being Fact I still think CGY will be gone with in the next 2 yrs or so unless Management gets there way. Of course it will be a big mistake on owner ships part they don't like to be told no and the Fact that Nenshi is still mayor me thinks that is a big no to owner ship. Opps did I say fact my mistake ooh no it is a fact Nenshi is mayor ;(

4 hours ago, zima said:

Usually if someone makes a post to try and get a negative reaction, they succeed in getting one...   You should consider that, and also consider making it a habit to ask yourself "do I really wan't to post this" before you click on the submit button...  However, I do give you credit for putting more effort into grammar and spelling, as your posts are getting easier to read...   ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zima said:

No worries should be last post on this site I had stopped don't know what I was thinking but I guess I wasn't

Hope you come back.  

There are a lot of brave people on this board who have no problem yapping from the safety of their basement.  No need to take them seriously.  Opinions are like “belly buttons,” everybody has one.  

2 hours ago, zima said:

No worries should be last post on this site I had stopped don't know what I was thinking but I guess I wasn't

Over 1k posts and you giving up Zima???

not like you, we all make mistakes because we get emotional over our team.. Everyone is going to go through that around here.

15 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

There are a lot of brave people on this board who have no problem yapping from the safety of their basement.

:rolleyes:   That is almost a 'fact' I can agree with...    Not a lot of people, but just a few...

I find it frustrating that there is so much noise about the team moving, but it seems more and more likely to happen.  Seattle has just announce a $600 million renovation of their current arena, so they will be a viable location soon enough.  The most frustrating aspect to me is the league almost seems keen to move the flames, a profitable franchise, rather than move a money losing venture like Pheonix, Carolina, etc.  There are at least a half dozen teams from a purely economic standpoint that make more sense to move than the Flames, maybe more, but it's us that seems to be on the chopping block.  Again, the flames are profitable - the only reason for a new arena is to make them more profitable and to generate spin off benefits for the owners (flames owners are rumoured to have wanted to get into development of condos etc. around the new building).

From my perspective, there are a couple reasons for this. #1, I know it's conspiratorial, but I don't think Bettman cares much for Canada as a whole.  I think he carries a grudge against Nenshi, and is petty enough to push to harm him regardless of what's best for the league.

#2, and this is more likely.  I think the nhl is keen to make an example of us.  Extortion only works if people believe your threats.  We at least appear to be calling their bluff at this point, so what better opportunity to show the other 30 cities with nhl franchises that they better cough up the dough for new buildings when asked or else.

58 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I find it frustrating that there is so much noise about the team moving, but it seems more and more likely to happen.  Seattle has just announce a $600 million renovation of their current arena, so they will be a viable location soon enough.  The most frustrating aspect to me is the league almost seems keen to move the flames, a profitable franchise, rather than move a money losing venture like Pheonix, Carolina, etc.  There are at least a half dozen teams from a purely economic standpoint that make more sense to move than the Flames, maybe more, but it's us that seems to be on the chopping block.  Again, the flames are profitable - the only reason for a new arena is to make them more profitable and to generate spin off benefits for the owners (flames owners are rumoured to have wanted to get into development of condos etc. around the new building).

From my perspective, there are a couple reasons for this. #1, I know it's conspiratorial, but I don't think Bettman cares much for Canada as a whole.  I think he carries a grudge against Nenshi, and is petty enough to push to harm him regardless of what's best for the league.

#2, and this is more likely.  I think the nhl is keen to make an example of us.  Extortion only works if people believe your threats.  We at least appear to be calling their bluff at this point, so what better opportunity to show the other 30 cities with nhl franchises that they better cough up the dough for new buildings when asked or else.

You are not hearing any noise about the team moving. You are hearing noise about the team selling. Yes the new owners would likely want to move it but at this time there is no noise about the Flames moving.

Seattle would not be a target for the Flames to move. Again the Flames are not interested in moving. The Owners of the Flames have no plans be it plan A B or C to move. They are hinting on Selling. Big difference with the only common part is that moving or selling the Flames would no longer be Calgary based.

I don't see the league being keen to move the Franchise at all. I see the league standing next to the Flames in support of their desire  for a new arena. Of course they would as it would be another upgrade to one of the leagues franchise.

Are the Flames profitable? They claim they aren't very. With the lower dollar they may be takers from the equalization rather than supporters to it. I have not seen recent figures.

While I support the Flames in their want to have a better home, I also support the cities need for an arena for Olympic bid and development where they prefer. I can't see the City not wanting some concessions if they are contributing a large portion of the costs. 

NHL has no interest in making an example of us. They are simply supporting the Flames which is one of the better franchises.

On a last note. Don't buy all the hype the news media is throwing at you. This is all just bargaining going on. The NHL went to great lengths to keep the Arizona franchise in place through bankruptcy and new arena agreements. They will go to great lengths to see the Flames stay here while supporting them in their want for a new arena. There is more money to sell the Seattle group a NHL team than to just transfer one to them. Quebec City is first in line for the next transferal of a struggling franchise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Bolded #1, it was almost Arizona that went home to Winnipeg until city council out there caved. So as a consolation the NHL gave up on Atlanta for the 2nd time & TN paid much less than they would have for an expansion team. It looks like if QC gets another team it'll be a similar sweetheart deal moving a money loser because they (ownership) are playing nice.

Bolded #2, The Gnome is saving expansion for US sites that can pony up the $s. He's an (.) but not stupid & knows that Canadian sites will make money even if playing on a frozen river. Butthead saw how Katz manipulated the levels of government & figures it can be done in Calgary or Ottawa. If not, he's just trying to help 2 of the 31 clubs that pay his wages. Until the controversy he'd probably never heard of Nenschi.

The Gnome works for the owners. A move takes a majority vote & they won't vote to move a team that makes money as it adds to the pile they pay into equalization. Owners tend to vote with their wallets.

There really isn't much chatter at all about the Flames moving or selling. The only really "new" bit that has come out was John Shannon wirting his opinion that Houston wanting a team will eventually get linked to Calgary.

I've heard no one credible suggest the Flames want to move or want to sell. They are just standing by their "we are done negotiating and will play here as long as we can stance" and reporters are making suggestions on the rest. If Gary Bettman didn't want the Flames in Canada he's had multiple opportunities to move them and he hasn't.