Prospect Report: Need Input

Kane and Toews are not HOF'ers as well, so your point?

Johnny Hockey's SH% is 100%, so that makes him a future star right?  :lol:

I was simply pointing out that 3 other players (I know of) also scored their first NHL goal on their first shift in first game.  Nikita Kucherov and Anders Lee will likely go onto have average NHL careers while Lemieux is the only sure HOF’er.  I don’t believe either Toews or Kane scored on their first shift?  The laws of average would suggest that someone will score on their first shift, that someone could be anybody.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion he gives the perception of speed at times.  He can make plays at full speed, he has elite level agility, he has a high IQ and knows where to go, and he hustles.  Plus there is the perception that small equals fast.  But he doesn't have great straight line speed IMO.  He isn't slow.  But he isn't a player like Byron that is just going to blow by everyone.  

If you watched the kid play in collage, world juniors, and the world championships then you would agree his "Straight line speed" is at an elite level. 

I was simply pointing out that 3 other players (I know of) also scored their first NHL goal on their first shift in first game.  Nikita Kucherov and Anders Lee will likely go onto have average NHL careers while Lemieux is the only sure HOF’er.  I don’t believe either Toews or Kane scored on their first shift?  The laws of average would suggest that someone will score on their first shift, that someone could be anybody.

I was commenting that his scoring in his first game wasn't just standing around with his stick on the ice; he has a goal scorer's touch.  The Kane comment was related to Kehatch's comparison.  I just through in Toews as a potential future HOF player.

Here is my two cents:

1.Monahan: Splitting hairs, but my comparable for Monahan would be Logan Couture.

2.Bennett

3.Gaudreau

4.Poirier: I like the Kreider comparable.

5.Baertschi: his play style reminds me a lot of Hudler, and I am not sure he will put up the same kind of numbers as a Tanguay.

6.Granlund

7.Klimchuk: I think he has some untapped offensive potential.

8.Ortio

9.Gillies

10.Jankowski

11.Wotherspoon: I think he can be a very solid top 4 guy like a Niklas HjalmarssonI.

12.Reinhart: I don't think his offense will transfer to the NHL, I see him more as an Eric Nystrom.

13.Ferland: Again I don't see his offense transferring, I think he can be like a Troy Brouwer.

14.Sieloff: For a team that doesn't have a lot physicality on the back end, Sieloff will play. At 6'1" 200lbs I am not too worried about                      his size.

15.MacDonald

16.Knight: I never figured Knight as an agitator, I see him being more like a Manny Malhotra, a big center who can win faceoffs.

17.Arnold: I don't think he is as physical as Backes, maybe more like a Dominic Moore.

18.Smith

19.Agostino: My comparable is Scottie Upshall

20.Culkin

21.Kulak

22.Hickey: I think he has a really solid chance to climb up this list in a hurry.

23.Kanzig: I really like the Hal Gill comparison.

24.Ollas-Mattsson

25.Roy: I always thought that the down side to his game was the defensive side, so I wouldn't call him a shut down defender. I would compare him to a Tom Gilbert.

Monahan is no more a prospect than Backlund or Brodie.  He had a more productive year than 75% of the roster. 

My top 10 for highest potential would be;

Gaudreau - sky is the limit

Bennett - arguably the highest rated all around center the Flames have had in their system for over a decade. 

Poirier - his tangibles are what put him above Baertschi.  He's fast, can fight, can score, can playmake, can turn the tides of a game.  I believe he will offer more than Sven, thus he's 3rd.

Baertschi - no question he's skilled.  But he mostly excels in a top 6 position.  His skill alone supplants the players under him.  He's good.

Granlund - haven't quite seen what Granny's ceiling is at this point.  He's one of the steadiest developing prospects I've ever seen. 

Ortio - We all know he's made strides.  He's had flashes of Kipper in his game.  He's only going to get better.

Klimchuk - A player that flies under most fans' radars, especially from fans of other teams.  He's an all around player.

Wotherspoon - Pretty much TJ Brodie 2.0. 

Ferland - We've only seen glimpses of when Ferland flips the switch.  When he does, it's a beautiful sight to watch.  Something that's been missing since a young Iggy laced up for this team.  If we could actually see a full season or two, he could very well push his way into the top 5.

Gillies - the #1 for Providence very quickly.  The starter for the World Jr's.  He's steady, had a tough couple weeks, but has remained very consistent. 

Janko - under rated by most fans due to the Feaster media scrums and where he was picked in the draft, unfortunately for him none of it was his fault.  He's big, has some silky smooth hands, and is getting better.  Despite the complaints about him being the 2012 1st rounder, he remains a top 10 prospect in the Flames' pool.

Monahan is no more a prospect than Backlund or Brodie.  He had a more productive year than 75% of the roster. 

My top 10 for highest potential would be;

Gaudreau - sky is the limit

Bennett - arguably the highest rated all around center the Flames have had in their system for over a decade. 

Poirier - his tangibles are what put him above Baertschi.  He's fast, can fight, can score, can playmake, can turn the tides of a game.  I believe he will offer more than Sven, thus he's 3rd.

Baertschi - no question he's skilled.  But he mostly excels in a top 6 position.  His skill alone supplants the players under him.  He's good.

Granlund - haven't quite seen what Granny's ceiling is at this point.  He's one of the steadiest developing prospects I've ever seen. 

Ortio - We all know he's made strides.  He's had flashes of Kipper in his game.  He's only going to get better.

Klimchuk - A player that flies under most fans' radars, especially from fans of other teams.  He's an all around player.

Wotherspoon - Pretty much TJ Brodie 2.0. 

Ferland - We've only seen glimpses of when Ferland flips the switch.  When he does, it's a beautiful sight to watch.  Something that's been missing since a young Iggy laced up for this team.  If we could actually see a full season or two, he could very well push his way into the top 5.

Gillies - the #1 for Providence very quickly.  The starter for the World Jr's.  He's steady, had a tough couple weeks, but has remained very consistent. 

Janko - under rated by most fans due to the Feaster media scrums and where he was picked in the draft, unfortunately for him none of it was his fault.  He's big, has some silky smooth hands, and is getting better.  Despite the complaints about him being the 2012 1st rounder, he remains a top 10 prospect in the Flames' pool.

Agree totally on top 5.  Poirier could be the new Iggy.  Granlund could be as talented or more than his bro.

I kind of put T-spoon, Ortio, and Ferland next due to playing pro hockey so far.  Klimchuk is an exciting player, but like Bennet, is stuck (or should be) in junior.  Others of note; Arnold - underated, solid 2-way C; Knight - could be a perfect 4th C; Agostino - GlenX in the making. 

Agree totally on top 5.  Poirier could be the new Iggy.  Granlund could be as talented or more than his bro.

I kind of put T-spoon, Ortio, and Ferland next due to playing pro hockey so far.  Klimchuk is an exciting player, but like Bennet, is stuck (or should be) in junior.  Others of note; Arnold - underated, solid 2-way C; Knight - could be a perfect 4th C; Agostino - GlenX in the making. 

I tried to base on ceiling, but after top 5, it's a wash as to who'd be next.  Even the top 5 will most likely pan out differently in the coming years.

Heck, for all we know, Janko could flip a switch in 4 years and light it up, becoming the best player the Flames have drafted in over a decade.  People would cry tears of rage over losing so much sleep over such a controversial pick, and Feaster sits in his armchair with a class of scotch on the rocks, licking his chops at the notion that he was right.  The TSN crew is baffled and all retire early as they can't save for the embarrassment that had befallen them. Oilers, and Canucks fans run and fall on their knees to Flames fans begging for forgiveness for all the slanderous talk they once had for the newly crowned king of the NHL...

Not likely, but could happen.  You never know. ;)

I was commenting that his scoring in his first game wasn't just standing around with his stick on the ice; he has a goal scorer's touch.  The Kane comment was related to Kehatch's comparison.  I just through in Toews as a potential future HOF player.

Looks like alot of just sitting in the slot with his stick on the ice. Being in the right spot at the right time is half the battle sure, but Van left him uncovered and he didnt even flinch or move when the puck deflected off the guys in front.

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=164188

Sven at least was in right spot and made right move to score his.

Looks like alot of just sitting in the slot with his stick on the ice. Being in the right spot at the right time is half the battle sure, but Van left him uncovered and he didnt even flinch or move when the puck deflected off the guys in front.

http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=164188

Sven at least was in right spot and made right move to score his.

If you have seen some of his moves, you know that he doesn't always wire the shot in the top corner. He has a little move, where he just slides it between the goalie's pads on a deke. Doesn't even look like he tries to score. Debate if you want, but a goal scorer know when to stop the puck and shoot versus using the momentum of the original shot and a slight touch to direct it past a sliding goalie.

If you have seen some of his moves, you know that he doesn't always wire the shot in the top corner. He has a little move, where he just slides it between the goalie's pads on a deke. Doesn't even look like he tries to score. Debate if you want, but a goal scorer know when to stop the puck and shoot versus using the momentum of the original shot and a slight touch to direct it past a sliding goalie.

Not only that, but it takes skill to thread the needle.  You can see in the vid he only has about 8 inches to work with in a split second attempt and puts the puck dead center between the pad and the post.  Countless times I've had to watch sub par players get chance after chance on shots like that, only to flub the puck, or hit the goalies' pad.  The redirect was smooth as silk, and Bieksa had no time to react.

Thanks for the feedback all.  I made the following changes. 

1. Removed the comment re Gaudreau's average speed.  I still want to see him play against NHL players and see if he is fast.  But due to popular opinion I made the change. 
  2. I added David Wolf.  If anyone has a better comparable let me know. 
  3. I changed the Poirier comparison to Kreider
  4. Changed Agositino comparison to Upshall
  5. Changes Arnold comparison to Moore 
  6. Changed Baertschi comparison to Hudler

Keep them coming!

Thanks for the feedback all.  I made the following changes. 

1. Removed the comment re Gaudreau's average speed.  I still want to see him play against NHL players and see if he is fast.  But due to popular opinion I made the change. 
  2. I added David Wolf.  If anyone has a better comparable let me know. 
  3. I changed the Poirier comparison to Kreider
  4. Changed Agositino comparison to Upshall
  5. Changes Arnold comparison to Moore 
  6. Changed Baertschi comparison to Hudler

Keep them coming!

For Wolf, I would compare him more to Chris Neil than Zack Kassian. 

Kassian doesn't fight often.  He's afraid to drop the gloves with anyone remotely bigger than him.  He plays a power forward-ish game, but isn't as gritty as most think. Most of his grit ends with cheap shot antics.  Kassian also wouldn't take on 2 players at once, and most of his punches come when the other player is tied up with the refs or other team mates.

Chris Neil fights, hits, and has some skill.  Not really an elite player, but a fan fave in Ottawa.  His PIM's match Wolf's aggressive style too.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=25909

(hopefully with a few NHL season under his belt, we can compare Wolf more to Lucic)

1*. C Sean Monahan, Calgary Flames (NHL) [12/10/94]
[6'2", 185 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A+]
[75 GP, 22 G, 12 A, 34 Pts, 8 PIM, -20][NHL Comparable: Eric Staal]
Potential Peak: Franchise center, perennial All-Star
Projection: Top line two-way pivot, perennial 55-65 point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Low, should at least play a decent number of games in the NHL
Offense: 8.5
Defense: 8.5
Physicality: 8.0
Skating: 8.5
Intangibles: 8.5
NHL-Readiness: 9.0
Potential: 9.0

Aggregate Score: 60.0

Strengths:
-adept in all three zones; responsible player with leadership qualities
-prototypical NHLer style; can skate, pass, shoot, and play defense at a high level
Weaknesses:
-not as physical as he could be with his size
-doesn’t possess the dynamic game of a MacKinnon or a Drouin

1. F Sam Bennett, Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) [20/06/96]
[6'0.25", 178 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A+]
[57 GP, 36 G, 55 A, 91 Pts, 118 PIM, +34][NHL Comparable: Matt Duchene/Mike Richards]
Potential Peak: Franchise center, perennial All-Star & PPG player
Projection: Top line forward, 65+ point seasons in his scoring prime
Bust Factor: Low; size, strength could be factors
Offense: 9.0
Physicality: 8.5
Skating: 9.0
Intangibles: 8.0
NHL-Readiness: 8.0

Aggregate Score: 60.0

Strengths:
-deadly in the offensive zone; great hands and lethal scoring instincts

-great skater; explosive acceleration and edgework
Weaknesses:
-edge to his game, but isn’t going to be a big player; can be undisciplined
-doesn’t always use his linemates effectively

2. Sven Baertschi, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [05/10/92]
[5'11", 190 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A]
[41 GP, 13 G, 16 A, 29 Pts, 18 PIM, +1][NHL Comparable: Jeff Skinner/Justin Williams]
Potential Peak: Top line playmaking winger
Projection: High-end 2nd line winger, perennial 50+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Moderate, needs to improve his consistency
Offense: 9.0
Defense: 8.0
Potential: 8.5

Aggregate Score: 58.5

Strengths:
-elite player offensively; excellent offensive awareness, shot and playmaking abilities
-improved skater with quick feet and excellent agility and acceleration
Weaknesses:
-not going to be a big player
-consistency and defense will need improving to excel in the NHL

3. LW John Gaudreau, Boston College Eagles (NCAA-HE) [13/08/93]
[5'9", 150 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A]
[40 GP, 36 G, 44 A, 80 Pts, 14 PIM, +42][NHL Comparable: Patrick Kane (?)]
Potential Peak: Franchise winger, perennial All-Star
Projection: Top line scoring winger, perennial 60+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: High, still needs to prove he can belong at the NHL level
Offense: 9.5
Defense: 7.5
Physicality: 7.5

Aggregate Score: 58.5

Strengths:
-phenomenal hands and scoring instincts; offensive awareness is off the charts
-quick skater with excellent acceleration, balance and change of pace
Weaknesses:
-not going to be a big player; definitely not a defensive player
-needs to build a little more strength; top speed could be better

4. W Emile Poirier, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL) [14/12/94]
[6'1", 185 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A]
[63 GP, 43 G, 44 A, 87 Pts, 129 PIM, +30][NHL Comparable: Evander Kane/Chris Kreider]
Potential Peak: Top line scoring forward
Projection: 2nd line pesky winger, 50+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: High, will need some adjustment to the pro game

Aggregate Score: 58.0

Strengths:
-elite speed; breakaway top speed and very good acceleration

-willing to get physical and muck it up in the tough areas
Weaknesses:
-overall skating form, agility and footwork could be improved
-consistency and defense need to improve

5. LW Morgan Klimchuk, Regina Pats (WHL) [02/03/95]
[6'0", 180 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A]
[57 GP, 30 G, 44 A, 74 Pts, 27 PIM, +26][NHL Comparable: Patrick Sharp/Ryan Callahan]
Potential Peak: Top line scoring winger
Projection: 2nd line two-way winger, 50+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Moderate, should at least play a decent number of games in the NHL

Aggregate Score: 58.0

Strengths:
-fantastic skater; very shifty and excellent mobility and acceleration
-good all-around hockey sense; has scoring instincts and works hard at both ends
Weaknesses:
-not going to be a big or physical player
-needs to improve his consistency and defense

6. C Markus Granlund, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [13/04/93]
[5'11", 185 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A-]
[52 GP, 25 G, 21 A, 46 Pts, 22 PIM, +10][NHL Comparable: Alex Steen]
Potential Peak: Top line scoring forward
Projection: 2nd line forward, 45+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Moderate, plays a north-south game but still needs refinement

Aggregate Score: 57.5

Strengths:
-very good offensive awareness; good at both playmaking and scoring
-is willing to battle along the boards; plays a very NA game
Weaknesses:
-not going to be a big player
-overall skating is good, but could use more refinement

7. G Jon Gillies, Providence College Friars (NCAA-HE) [22/01/94]
[6'5", 216 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: n/a]
[34 GP, .931 Sv%, 2.16 GAA, 19-9-5 Record, 4 SOs]
Potential Peak: Elite starting goalie
Projection: Starting goaltender, perennial 55+ appearances in his prime
Bust Factor: High, still needs some refining at the pro level

8. D Tyler Wotherspoon, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [12/03/93]
[6'2", 210 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A-]
[48 GP, 1 G, 8 A, 9 Pts, 12 PIM, +12][NHL Comparable: Zbynek Michalek]
Potential Peak: Borderline top pairing complementary defender
Projection: 2nd pairing defenseman, perennial 15-25 point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Moderate, safe, reliable player who’s ready for NHL time
Offense: 8.0
Skating: 8.0
Potential: 8.0

Aggregate Score: 57.0

Strengths:
-highly responsible defensively; active stick and tough on opposing forwards
-good hockey sense; very good positionally and generally makes the right play
Weaknesses:
-skating/mobility have improved tremendously, but could still use refinement
-doesn’t possess a dynamic offensive game

9. C Max Reinhart, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [04/02/92]
[6'1", 190 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A-]
[66 GP, 21 G, 42 A, 63 Pts, 47 PIM, +6][NHL Comparable: Dominic Moore]
Potential Peak: 2nd line two-way pivot
Projection: 3rd line two-way forward, 30+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Low, could probably make it in the NHL as a depth player
Potential: 7.5

Aggregate Score: 56.5

Strengths:
-adept in all three zones; responsible player with leadership qualities
-prototypical NHLer style; can skate, pass, shoot, and play defense at a high level
Weaknesses:
-not going to be a physically imposing player

10. C Mark Jankowski, Providence College Friars (NCAA-HE) [13/09/94]
[6'3", 168 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A-]
[39 GP, 13 G, 12 A, 25 Pts, 14 PIM, +15][NHL Comparable: Travis Zajac/Kyle Turris]
Potential Peak: Top line two-way center
Projection: 2nd line pivot, 45+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: High, project who is inching closer to bust or soar status
NHL-Readiness: 7.0

Aggregate Score: 56.0

Strengths:
-strong hockey sense; allows him to be effective at both ends of the ice
-offensively, is very adept at both playmaking and scoring; dual threat
Weaknesses:
-soft; needs to add overall strength and balance to his skating
-still needs to improve his consistency on a game-to-game basis

11. D Patrick Sieloff, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [15/05/94]
[6'1", 200 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: A-]
[2 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 Pts, 0 PIM, +1][NHL Comparable: Brooks Orpik]
Potential Peak: Borderline 1st/high-end 2nd pairing two-way blueliner
Projection: 2nd pairing shutdown defender, 15+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Moderate, has missed significant development time to injury
Offense: 7.5
Physicality: 9.0
NHL-Readiness: 7.5

Aggregate Score: 56.0

Strengths:
-physically imposing; not the biggest player but revels in the tough spots
-plays very smart defensive hockey; good reads and positioning
Weaknesses:
-doesn’t have high-end offensive tools; not going to be a point producer
-skating could use some refinement

12. G Joni Ortio, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [16/04/91]
[6'1", 185 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: n/a]
[37 GP, .926 Sv%, 2.33 GAA, 27-8-0 Record, 2 SOs]
Potential Peak: Starting goalie
Projection: Platooning goaltender, 50+ appearances in his prime
Bust Factor: High, still needs some refining at the pro level

13. LW Michael Ferland, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [20/04/92]
[6'2", 215 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[25 GP, 6 G, 12 A, 18 Pts, 31 PIM, -4][NHL Comparable: Scott Hartnell/Shawn Thornton]
Potential Peak: 2nd line power forward
Projection: 3rd line energy winger, 25+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: High, still needs to improve skating
Skating: 7.5

Aggregate Score: 55.5

Strengths:
-has a heavy shot and good offensive instincts
Weaknesses:
-skating is still a work in progress

14. C Corban Knight, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [10/09/90]
[6'2", 195 pds][Righty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[70 GP, 18 G, 27 A, 45 Pts, 50 PIM, +11][NHL Comparable: Brandon Sutter]
Potential Peak: 2nd line power forward
Projection: 3rd line two-way forward, 25+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Moderate, still needs to improve skating

Strengths:
-well-rounded; solid both offensively and defensively

Weaknesses:

15. LW Kenny Agostino, Yale Bulldogs (NCAA-ECAC) [20/04/92]
[6'1", 211 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[33 GP, 14 G, 18 A, 32 Pts, 46 PIM, +13][NHL Comparable: Matt Beleskey/Lauri Korpikoski]
Potential Peak: 2nd line two-way forward
Projection: 3rd line winger, 25+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Moderate, will need some pro seasoning to see what he’s made of

Strengths:
-very good skater with solid overall mobility
-battler who drives the net hard and follows his shots
Weaknesses:
-jack of all trades; won’t make the NHL based on a standout talent

16. D Brett Kulak, Vancouver Giants (WHL) [06/01/94]
[6'1", 190 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[69 GP, 14 G, 46 A, 60 Pts, 51 PIM, -8][NHL Comparable: M-E Vlasic/Johnny Oduya]
Potential Peak: High-end 2nd pairing two-way blueliner

Projection: Borderline 2nd/3rd pairing two-way defender, 15+ point seasons in his prime

Bust Factor: Moderate, could be a decent depth defender

Strengths:
-very well-rounded player; effective both defensively and offensively

-excellent shot with NHL-caliber force and accuracy
Weaknesses:
-not the most physical player, although he doesn’t need to be

17. G Mason McDonald, Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL) [23/04/96]
[6'4", 178 pds][Righty][PROSPECT GRADE: n/a]
[29 GP, .900 Sv%, 3.44 GAA, 8-18-0 Record, 0 SOs]
Potential Peak: Starting goalie
Projection: Platooning goaltender, 50+ appearances in his prime
Bust Factor: Extremely High, quite raw and will need a few years

18. RW Ben Hanowski, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [18/10/90]
[6'2", 210 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[55 GP, 13 G, 18 A, 31 Pts, 18 PIM, +1][NHL Comparable: Scott Hartnell/Shawn Thornton]
Potential Peak: 2nd line scoring forward
Projection: 3rd line scoring winger, 25+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: High, still needs to improve skating and defense

Aggregate Score: 55.0

Strengths:
-good hands and deft playmaker
Weaknesses:
-needs to improve his consistency and defense

19. C Bill Arnold, Boston College Eagles (NCAA-HE) [13/05/92]
[6'0", 197 pds][Righty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[40 GP, 14 G, 39 A, 53 Pts, 51 PIM, +43][NHL Comparable: Greg Campbell/Boyd Gordon]
Potential Peak: Borderline 2nd line power forward
Projection: 3rd/4th line checking center, 20+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Moderate, might be nothing more than a tweener in the pros

Strengths:
-well-rounded player; effective in both a scoring and checking role

Weaknesses:
-skating is still a work in progress, although much improved

20. D Ryan Culkin, Drummondville Voltigeurs (QMJHL) [15/12/93]
[6'2", 185 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[65 GP, 8 G, 42 A, 50 Pts, 44 PIM, +1][NHL Comparable: M-E Vlasic/Johnny Oduya]

Projection: Borderline 2nd/3rd pairing two-way defender, 15+ point seasons in his prime

Bust Factor: High, could be a decent depth defender

Strengths:

-very mobile overall defender with good speed
Weaknesses:

21. D Brandon Hickey, Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) [13/04/96]
[6'1.5", 177 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[49 GP, 4 G, 18 A, 22 Pts, 29 PIM][NHL Comparable: M-E Vlasic/Jay Bouwmeester]
Potential Peak: Borderline top pairing complementary defender
Projection: 2nd pairing defenseman, perennial 20+ point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: Moderate, will need time to develop

Strengths:

-very mobile overall defender with good speed
Weaknesses:

22. F Hunter Smith, Oshawa Generals (OHL) [11/09/95]
[6'6.5", 208 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[64 GP, 16 G, 24 A, 40 Pts, 100 PIM, +11][NHL Comparable: Tom Wilson]
Potential Peak: Borderline 1st/2nd line complementary power forward
Projection: 3rd line power forward, 30+ point seasons in his offensive prime
Bust Factor: High; might not be anything more than a pugilist in the pros

Strengths:
-big and knows how to use his size to his advantage

-sneaky-good hands and some offensive skill
Weaknesses:
-not the fastest player, needs to work on his footwork and overall mobility
-defensively needs to work on his habits; needs to use his stick and eyes better

23. C Josh Jooris, Abbotsford Heat (AHL) [14/07/90]
[6'1", 190 pds][Righty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[73 GP, 11 G, 16 A, 27 Pts, 67 PIM, +/-0][NHL Comparable: Blake Comeau]
Potential Peak: 3rd line two-way forward
Projection: 3rd/4th line energy forward, 15-25 point seasons in his prime
Bust Factor: High, might be nothing more than a tweener in the pros
Potential: 7.0

Strengths:
-sparkplug player; keeps his feet moving and never quits on a play
-underrated offensive skill and good scoring abilities
Weaknesses:
-still needs some work to do defensively, although much improved

24. D Eric Roy, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) [24/10/94]
[6'3", 180 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[66 GP, 11 G, 33 A, 44 Pts, 51 PIM, -9][NHL Comparable: Andrej Meszaros]

Projection: Borderline 2nd/3rd pairing offensive defender, 20+ point seasons in his prime

Bust Factor: Extremely High, needs to improve defensively

Defense: 7.0

Aggregate Score: 54.5

Strengths:
Weaknesses:

25. D Keegan Kanzig, Victoria Royals (WHL) [26/02/95]
[6'7", 240 pds][Lefty][PROSPECT GRADE: B+]
[63 GP, 3 G, 5 A, 8 Pts, 99 PIM, +18][NHL Comparable: Hal Gill]
Potential Peak: 2nd pairing shutdown blueliner

Projection: 3rd pairing shutdown defender, 10+ point seasons in his prime

Bust Factor: Extremely High, will need to keep working on his skating

Offense: 7.0
Potential: 7.0

Aggregate Score: 54.5

Strengths:
-physically imposing; behemoth on the back end
-very good positioning and understands his gameplan well
Weaknesses:
-skating is still a work in progress; can get caught flatfooted
-basically a non-factor offensively

Really great list, 

Some input:

On Johnny Hockey's foot speed:   Nowhere, anywhere, do people say that Johnny lacks foot speed.   So that original piece of input was valuable and a worthwhile correction, which I see was made.  So we're good.

Why we started talking about straight line speed, I do not know.   It was neither in the original OP's post, nor is it very relevant to the game of hockey.  Probably more suited in a discussion on Johnny Hockey's potential as an Olympic speed skater.

Ortio:   Ortio and Kipper are small?  6'1 is a decent, normal size imho.   Still not sure why we are so focused on 2010, when Ortio was 19 years old, and thrown into the AHL.   It was irrelevant then and it's definitely irrelevant now.   I would rank him 5th.   But I agree with ranking him slightly below Gillies, who I would rank 4th.

Gillies:  Agree with the evaluation, just not the ranking.   Would put him 4th (and I agree with the top 3 prospects).   Ben Bishop is fair.  I think he could turn out to be much better than Bishop too.

Klimchuk:   Probably ranked a bit high.

Jankowski:  Top 6 center projection?  Still?

Culkin:  Would rank him higher due to rapid improvement.

Some questions on how a few of these guys squeezed in:

On Ollas Mattsson:   What is our 2014 6th round pick doing in the top 25?  Because he's big, I guess?  I think that's a tad optimistic at this particular stage.

On Hickey:   I don't get this one.  Again unsure what put him in the top 25.  Very untested, even at the junior level.

Klimchuk:   Probably ranked a bit high.

Jankowski:  Top 6 center projection?  Still?

On Hickey:   I don't get this one.  Again unsure what put him in the top 25.  Very untested, even at the junior level.

Klimchuk is absolutely a great prospect and worthy of a top 5 spot. He'd be the top ranked prospect in our entire pool without question if this were any year prior to 2011. I'm not surprised he's underrated because his game isn't about style, but as far as substance he's got tons of it. He can skate, he can score, he is a character guy with tons of maturity, and most importantly he's vastly improved from last year (and I liked him a lot from last year).

Jankowski is still a top 6 projection just as Chris Kreider was still a top-6 projection after two pedestrian years at BC. Like Kreider at the time, whether or not he comes anywhere near it is a whole other story. A lot hinges on his junior season; if he becomes a top tier player this year, 1st line center in the NCAA with special teams time, then he's done extremely well for himself. He could burst out like Kreider did or he could underwhelm, but he's not unprecedented as far as performance goes.

Hickey was one of the most impressive defenders in the recent development camp as an 18-year old. With him, it's all about projection. If he continues to develop then his current ranking will seem like a shortsell.

Klimchuk is absolutely a great prospect and worthy of a top 5 spot. He'd be the top ranked prospect in our entire pool without question if this were any year prior to 2011. I'm not surprised he's underrated because his game isn't about style, but as far as substance he's got tons of it. He can skate, he can score, he is a character guy with tons of maturity, and most importantly he's vastly improved from last year (and I liked him a lot from last year).

I am not quite sure how you've come up with the above, which seems to project him an entire notch higher than warranted.  But he is home-grown, so I won't argue further.

Jankowski is still a top 6 projection just as Chris Kreider was still a top-6 projection after two pedestrian years at BC. Like Kreider at the time, whether or not he comes anywhere near it is a whole other story. A lot hinges on his junior season; if he becomes a top tier player this year, 1st line center in the NCAA with special teams time, then he's done extremely well for himself. He could burst out like Kreider did or he could underwhelm, but he's not unprecedented as far as performance goes.

OK, fair enough.  Although I'm not convinced that Kreider was a top-6 projection at that time.  Your example does keep some hope, although you are comparing him to a guy who somewhat astonished the hockey world at his leap in performance.

Hickey was one of the most impressive defenders in the recent development camp as an 18-year old. With him, it's all about projection. If he continues to develop then his current ranking will seem like a shortsell.

mmmm....well he's still Albertan, but coming from Edmonton I'm still obligated to be fair.   He had a good development camp.   That's good, but not enough to warrant a top 25 ranking, imho.   Lots of players have good development camps and then bust.   Lots of players have bad development camps and dominate.   He honestly wasn't that special in the AJHL.     He projects as a somewhat non-physical defender with limited or no offensive upside.   That puts him in bottom-six pairing.  If he continues to develop well and defy the odds.

I am not quite sure how you've come up with the above, which seems to project him an entire notch higher than warranted.  But he is home-grown, so I won't argue further.

I like me my Klimchuk. I really do. There are a lot of prospects who coast on shifts to conserve energy, and Klimchuk isn't one of them. That attitude will not need any adjustment when he hits the NHL and every shift is 45 seconds of "go-go-go".

I like prospects who may not be imposing physically, but have the right attitude and heart. It's my bias. On the other hand, I'm less inclined to like gifted physical specimens who don't and/or are unable to take advantage of those gifts on a consistent basis. Mostly because that's what I was, and I definitely washed out young. Being naturally blessed with size means nothing if you can't do anything with it.

On Klimchuk, I think he warrants top 5. He was picked in the first round in a deep draft. Projects as a really good shutdown winger that can play up to the second line when injury strikes. Those depth guys win you cups. Calgarypuck has their annual fan voting going in and he ranked pretty close to where I have him slotted.

On Hickey, we aren't so deep that being a top 25 makes you a AAA prospect. I don't think he deserves to be slotted with players like Jooris. He wasn't my pick for our 3 rounder but he is a decent prospect.

The only reason IMO Klimchuk isn't discussed more is he gets buried behind the Monahan and Porier discussion and almost forgotten he was on that draft too. I definetly agree he deserves to be top 5 and quite honestly it wouldn't shock me at all to see Klimchuk have a better pro career then Porier.

I think anyone who has questions about Hickey should go watch him play and I guarantee you he will change your mind. Yes it's only skills and camp but I walked away so impressed. I remember Brodie's first camp and thinking right away the flames had something with Brodie and hickey leaves you a similar feeling.if we went on pure upside I'd be inclined to put Hickey above Seiloff and right there with kulak and culkin.

I can see Klimchuk being a solid guy for 2nd and 3rd line, and a guy who could very well pan out as a great player on the PK. From what I've seen he is just good enough to stick to the second line on a weaker team, or third line on a good time (same style as Glencross, but less goals and more defensive responsibility).

I can see Klimchuk being a solid guy for 2nd and 3rd line, and a guy who could very well pan out as a great player on the PK. From what I've seen he is just good enough to stick to the second line on a weaker team, or third line on a good time (same style as Glencross, but less goals and more defensive responsibility).

ya i see he more defensive but still puts up big numbers 

The only reason IMO Klimchuk isn't discussed more is he gets buried behind the Monahan and Porier discussion and almost forgotten he was on that draft too. I definetly agree he deserves to be top 5 and quite honestly it wouldn't shock me at all to see Klimchuk have a better pro career then Porier.

I think anyone who has questions about Hickey should go watch him play and I guarantee you he will change your mind. Yes it's only skills and camp but I walked away so impressed. I remember Brodie's first camp and thinking right away the flames had something with Brodie and hickey leaves you a similar feeling.if we went on pure upside I'd be inclined to put Hickey above Seiloff and right there with kulak and culkin.

If Klimchuk has an excelllent WJ camp, he will be primed to come in and compete for a Flames roster spot.  The only issue is depth in that position.  No point in burning a year of his ELC if he doesn't play most of the year; there is no option to send him to the AHL.

If Klimchuk has an excelllent WJ camp, he will be primed to come in and compete for a Flames roster spot.  The only issue is depth in that position.  No point in burning a year of his ELC if he doesn't play most of the year; there is no option to send him to the AHL.

ya if he won't get a big role with flames theres no point of putting him on the roster bennett and kilm to canada will be great

I am wondering if he can't play in the AHL. What was it that got Sieloff to play in the AHL last year? Was he going to be an over-ager in Junior why he opted to play and Abby instead? Is there something that would allow Klimchuk to play AHL? Either way, it's probably just as good to play in Junior...

I am wondering if he can't play in the AHL. What was it that got Sieloff to play in the AHL last year? Was he going to be an over-ager in Junior why he opted to play and Abby instead? Is there something that would allow Klimchuk to play AHL? Either way, it's probably just as good to play in Junior...

Seilof came from the US development system, which is the difference.  CHL has transfer rules and Klimchuk can't play until the year of his 20th birthday.  Think I have that right.  It's been discussed a number of times in various threads.

Archived