Prospect Report: Need Input

Our cupboards are suppose to be full but I decided to see where our players stand in the AHL and was very disappointed to find out that we don't have a player in the top 100 in scoring and the 1 player we do have we luckily picked up this yr Guess who ? Hamilton what the heck happened to Poirier Klimchuck Hathaway. I realize we play less games but our top scorer has 14 points in 19 games Klimchuck played 10 games and didn't produce a point sent to an ECHL team and only 1 goal in the last 9 last 2 yrs picks are a no show in any standings except Rasmus and maybe Magi. We could be in very big trouble if we are going to have to rely on our AHL kids to this point.

Yeah I think we over rated some of our prospects and we have a long way to go to having full cupboards.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every fan base over rates their prospects. No teams cupboards are ever truly full.

Look at Pittsburgh. They were stacked on defence yet none of them really materialized. Meanwhile teams lime Arizona and Detroit keep finding prospect out of nowhere.

Personally I like our prospects. Sure our top guys like Poirier, Klimchuk, Ortio, etc aren't wowing us yet. But Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bennett are well on their way to being NHL difference makers. Granlund is earning a full time NHL spot. Guys like Hickey and Jankowski are have great seasons. I am still excited about Gilles. Mangiapane has been very wow.

Fans need to stop slotting in specific prospects into their future rosters. More often then not it's the prospect you don't expect that wows you down the road. Brodie Yay. Erixon blah. Gaudreau wowzers. Baertschi enjoy Vancouver. Most prospects don't make it and the few that do often come out of nowhere.

Every fan base over rates their prospects. No teams cupboards are ever truly full.

Look at Pittsburgh. They were stacked on defence yet none of them really materialized. Meanwhile teams lime Arizona and Detroit keep finding prospect out of nowhere.

Personally I like our prospects. Sure our top guys like Poirier, Klimchuk, Ortio, etc aren't wowing us yet. But Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bennett are well on their way to being NHL difference makers. Granlund is earning a full time NHL spot. Guys like Hickey and Jankowski are have great seasons. I am still excited about Gilles. Mangiapane has been very wow.

Fans need to stop slotting in specific prospects into their future rosters. More often then not it's the prospect you don't expect that wows you down the road. Brodie Yay. Erixon blah. Gaudreau wowzers. Baertschi enjoy Vancouver. Most prospects don't make it and the few that do often come out of nowhere.

+1  above^^^^

When we as fans place future projections based on what we envision them to be, that is setting the prospect up for failure to living up to your expectations.

Wish I could like this.

Im not super worried about our prospect pool, although as I said in another thread I still would like to see us get another top 6 player in the draft this year, those 2 finnish kids just make me salivate. 

Wish I could like this.

Im not super worried about our prospect pool, although as I said in another thread I still would like to see us get another top 6 player in the draft this year, those 2 finnish kids just make me salivate.

Yep it is special that there will be two maybe top 5 prospects from Finland. And I've been watching very closely Puljujärvi and Laine. And I would rate Laine over Puljujärvi. Puljujärvi is more 2way forward and Laine is more like a goalscorer. I would be very excited if Calgary picks Laine or Puljujärvi.

Have to agree with the sentiments.  D-men take time to develop; not all of them shine at age 18.  We have guys that have taken steps, but would have no spot in the current version of the Flames.  Guys like Hickey, Gilmour, Seiloff, Culkin, Kulak, Nakladal, Kylington, and Andersson could be in for long careers or never make it.  Some of them are still 2-5 years from competing for a spot. It's hard to put a ceiling on these guys as their development and usage may make them look less shiny.  Or they are still just kids.

The forwards are being developed with defense in mind.  The powerplay that isn't working in Calgary is having the same problem in Stockton.  That affects point production.  Also, it sometimes takes players some time to transition to the NHL, especially if they don't play in a position that matches their skills.  There is no reason to play Poirier in a 4th line energy role right now.  That line has to be even or better, or get their time reduced.  Poirier has to play the game on the edge and do what he does best; drive the net and shoot.  

I think we all have expectations we talk about them all the time what we would hope and like to see from our prospects  that is why we have these forums. That is also why we talk trades because our expectations on certain player don't pan out when we talk trade we have expectations on the person we want to trade for so I guess Im confused forum after forum is about how we think a player should be playing ?  

I think we all have expectations we talk about them all the time what we would hope and like to see from our prospects  that is why we have these forums. That is also why we talk trades because our expectations on certain player don't pan out when we talk trade we have expectations on the person we want to trade for so I guess Im confused forum after forum is about how we think a player should be playing ?  

It's just not a wise idea to look at AHL results for one season and think they are not living up to their potential.  Kulak spent most of last season in the ECHL, but managed to land a temporary Flames roster spot.  He looked ok.  In the AHL he is not looking great. Does that prove anything?  Poirier is playing in just his 2nd pro season.  He was injured some of last season as well as a few games this year.  He was also challenged to change his game.  Morrison looked really good for the 6 games he played in the AHL regular season, but has not looked good this year.

I have expectations for Flames prospects, but I don't get bent out of shape if they aren't where I expect them to be or flop.  Some are going to take years to get to their peak (Bouma, Gio) or may just walk onto the ice and wow you (Johnny Hockey).    

I don't know if I would say I'm bent out of shape but I am a little disappointed that our so called top players are not even showing in the points race not 1 even in the top 40 our top player is 103 in points. I did expect a couple of our players to be in the top 40 I thought perhaps Poirier to show in the top 40 for sure and Klimchuk to be pushing Poirier. I know we have some depth on the Flames team but after JH and Mono perhaps Bennett what do we really have ? If Poirier and Klim don't turn out to be the players they should be then we are in trouble . Ok maybe not could always go the free agant way but the sometimes don't work out.

I don't know if I would say I'm bent out of shape but I am a little disappointed that our so called top players are not even showing in the points race not 1 even in the top 40 our top player is 103 in points. I did expect a couple of our players to be in the top 40 I thought perhaps Poirier to show in the top 40 for sure and Klimchuk to be pushing Poirier. I know we have some depth on the Flames team but after JH and Mono perhaps Bennett what do we really have ? If Poirier and Klim don't turn out to be the players they should be then we are in trouble . Ok maybe not could always go the free agant way but the sometimes don't work out.

This isn't to pick on you specifically, but I think generally people forget that when Poirier was drafted he was consdered a project. He had raw goal scoring ability and good raw skating ability but was far from a finished product. He had a better than expected start to his pro career and raised the bar but I don't think that changes that fact he is a project with holes to work on in his game. Again I havn't watched the Heat but form what i've heard it looks like they are trying to change Porier's game a bit to make him not so one dimensional. A slow start shoudln't change the fact that he is still a pretty good prospect and likely one of the best the Flames have. Probably won't find himself in the top 40 in AHL scoring but that doesn't mean much IMO. MOst of the top 40 in AHL scoring are the players who have spent a majority of their career in the AHL. 

This isn't to pick on you specifically, but I think generally people forget that when Poirier was drafted he was consdered a project. He had raw goal scoring ability and good raw skating ability but was far from a finished product. He had a better than expected start to his pro career and raised the bar but I don't think that changes that fact he is a project with holes to work on in his game. Again I havn't watched the Heat but form what i've heard it looks like they are trying to change Porier's game a bit to make him not so one dimensional. A slow start shoudln't change the fact that he is still a pretty good prospect and likely one of the best the Flames have. Probably won't find himself in the top 40 in AHL scoring but that doesn't mean much IMO. MOst of the top 40 in AHL scoring are the players who have spent a majority of their career in the AHL. 

This is true. 90% of the time the top scorers in the AHL are career AHLers, I dont think any team is worried about their prospects being top in scoring in the minors, as it is about development.

Archived