Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

We are now in Dec I'm curious what ppl think about Bennetts play to date I had him pegged as Calder Champ that has gone out the window but does a lot of thinks right. He has his moments but seem to be fewer and far between in the points category but still is a force on any line looks like. ?  

You shouldn't do thoings like peg him as the Caulder Champ. This type of predicting is only going to to bring you frustration where it should not have been. Trophies and accolades are nice but this is a team game. The trophies are nice additions but should remain secondary to the goals of a team.

As for his play I am more than happy with his play. He has been among our most consitant players. There are few on our team that have come to play each game like he has. I think he has had some bad puck luck too. Puck Luck will come around when you work hard like he does.

Bennett is not done with the Calder Cup consideration yet.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You shouldn't do thoings like peg him as the Caulder Champ. This type of predicting is only going to to bring you frustration where it should not have been. Trophies and accolades are nice but this is a team game. The trophies are nice additions but should remain secondary to the goals of a team.

As for his play I am more than happy with his play. He has been among our most consitant players. There are few on our team that have come to play each game like he has. I think he has had some bad puck luck too. Puck Luck will come around when you work hard like he does.

Bennett is not done with the Calder Cup consideration yet.

I am more interested with getting him to his final position on a line, finding him the right type of players to be with and maximizing his abilities.  As a 1st rounder top 5 pick, he will be in consideration right to the end.  As his position becomes more solidified, he will start scoring and shooting at a higher pace.  For a lot of the season, he was playing 2-way hockey with Backlund.  Now he is being given a more offensive job to do, and he will start producing. 

I am more interested with getting him to his final position on a line, finding him the right type of players to be with and maximizing his abilities.  As a 1st rounder top 5 pick, he will be in consideration right to the end.  As his position becomes more solidified, he will start scoring and shooting at a higher pace.  For a lot of the season, he was playing 2-way hockey with Backlund.  Now he is being given a more offensive job to do, and he will start producing. 

The kid is getting chances out the ying yang points will come now that he is playing an offensive role, still is his first season and playing with granlund has looked good. Although I would like them to find a big RH shot to play with granlund and bennett, as I think right now they need it.

We're quick to label him a 1/2C without letting him play for awhile. The thing about expectations, is they will generally let you down.

Let's not put expectation to him and let him be the player he is, help the team in ways he can. He looks great, and would really bolster our top 2 LW imho, in the meantime.

It gives him Backlund/Hudler to play off of, and still gives Granlund Frolik and Bouma.

For me, that's a better balance of lines and giving 2 guys the opportunity to progress.

We're quick to label him a 1/2C without letting him play for awhile. The thing about expectations, is they will generally let you down.

Let's not put expectation to him and let him be the player he is, help the team in ways he can. He looks great, and would really bolster our top 2 LW imho, in the meantime.

It gives him Backlund/Hudler to play off of, and still gives Granlund Frolik and Bouma.

For me, that's a better balance of lines and giving 2 guys the opportunity to progress.

This could possibly happen.  Janko is coming down the ranks and in a few years could be a viable 2C.  Who knows?

Just as in the prospect writeup thread, players surprise and players falter.  It's all hindsight and we sit and wait patiently.  So far I've enjoyed Bennett's rookie season.  It's been more than I could have hoped for and with some highlight stuff too.

I don't sit he needs to sit. His work ethic hasn't changed and he is still creating opportunities he is just fighting it a bit. I think this is when you stick with him and let him battle it out.

I would like to see him get sone PP time and play t his strengths. The PP is so bad that it can't get any worse so why you wouldn't use one of your most talented weapons perplexes me a bit.

I don't sit he needs to sit. His work ethic hasn't changed and he is still creating opportunities he is just fighting it a bit. I think this is when you stick with him and let him battle it out.

I would like to see him get sone PP time and play t his strengths. The PP is so bad that it can't get any worse so why you wouldn't use one of your most talented weapons perplexes me a bit.

I agree, especially about the PP part. Might as well give it a go. Plus he's great in close around the net.

Overall, I've been really happy with his play this season. I went to the game in Dallas and I could see first hand how fearless this kid is. He's always hustling and fighting for pucks. If he keeps playing this way, the points will come. He's only 19 and he's experiencing the wear and tear of a full NHL season with his style of play. I'm glad the spotlight has been off of him, wouldn't want him to succumb to any unnecessary pressure. 

It's funny though every time I seen him on the ice he was hitting some one I think he hit more than the fer did. and danced around the net a couple of times as well. He will become a killer but if Hart would us him on the power play he could surprise and maybe stand in front of the net become a Nieuwendyk type player. Now before some one jumps on me I said a type player not trying to put him as a newy just give him the trial run at seeing if he can use his stick in that fashion.

It's funny though every time I seen him on the ice he was hitting some one I think he hit more than the fer did. and danced around the net a couple of times as well. He will become a killer but if Hart would us him on the power play he could surprise and maybe stand in front of the net become a Nieuwendyk type player. Now before some one jumps on me I said a type player not trying to put him as a newy just give him the trial run at seeing if he can use his stick in that fashion.

well it would just be nice to see him get some pp time, I think there was one game where he tried him out there with mony and JH, but thats it.

well it would just be nice to see him get some pp time, I think there was one game where he tried him out there with mony and JH, but thats it.

Is it time yet to say they may be messing around with Bennett to much ? Play here, play there, play with this guy, play with that guy.

Just my thoughts but when Frolik is back I would like to see a line of Ferland LW, Bennett C and Frolik RW and leave it in place.

Give Backlund, Granlund LW and Jooris RW. They seem to have put the Bouma LW, Stajan C and Jones RW line back together.

Park Raymond and Bollig.

Is it time yet to say they may be messing around with Bennett to much ? Play here, play there, play with this guy, play with that guy.

Just my thoughts but when Frolik is back I would like to see a line of Ferland LW, Bennett C and Frolik RW and leave it in place.

Give Backlund, Granlund LW and Jooris RW. They seem to have put the Bouma LW, Stajan C and Jones RW line back together.

Park Raymond and Bollig.

That would be nice, except.....

When Frolik comes back, somebody gotta go.  My hope it is Bollig (1st choice) and Raymond (2nd choice).  Colborne likely replaces Jooris in your lines, which is fine.  So that means thaat Jooris (or Colborne) and Bollig (or Raymond are the spares.  The odd man out goes to waiver.  There is no way that Granlund goes back now.  He has cemented a spot in the roster, if not lineup.  He is likely to be the 1st to get a shortie.

When Frolik comes back, somebody gotta go.  My hope it is Bollig (1st choice) and Raymond (2nd choice).  Colborne likely replaces Jooris in your lines, which is fine.  So that means thaat Jooris (or Colborne) and Bollig (or Raymond are the spares.  The odd man out goes to waiver.  There is no way that Granlund goes back now.  He has cemented a spot in the roster, if not lineup.  He is likely to be the 1st to get a shortie.

I don't dispute Granlund's input but this is the big leagues and if a player can flow between levels without waivers he is usually the first to go. Sorry

The more I listen about keeping Backlund the more I think we should use Colborne in a trade. I love his effort but the way he is being utilized has made him ineffective. I think he would be a good 3rd line C and that just isn't going to happen for him here any time soon.

Granlund I had with Backlund and Jooris but it seems BH doesn't see Granlund as a LW option, which is wrong IMO.

I don't dispute Granlund's input but this is the big leagues and if a player can flow between levels without waivers he is usually the first to go. Sorry

The more I listen about keeping Backlund the more I think we should use Colborne in a trade. I love his effort but the way he is being utilized has made him ineffective. I think he would be a good 3rd line C and that just isn't going to happen for him here any time soon.

Granlund I had with Backlund and Jooris but it seems BH doesn't see Granlund as a LW option, which is wrong IMO.

Financially, there is no big difference between Bollig and Granlund.  BT wants to win games and BH tells him who will do that.

I don't know if I would agree that Granland has cemented his spot. So far he's done exactly what he did last year, really good for a few games and then has stated to tail off. IMO, the last 3 games he has been OK at best but not very impactfull. He hasn't been a liability by any means, likely never will with how smart he is, but he also isn't being an impact and for a player like him he needs to be to warrant staying. I don't think its a foregone conclusion right now that Granland is here to stay and I think the Flames need more out of him. 

I don't know if I would agree that Granland has cemented his spot. So far he's done exactly what he did last year, really good for a few games and then has stated to tail off. IMO, the last 3 games he has been OK at best but not very impactfull. He hasn't been a liability by any means, likely never will with how smart he is, but he also isn't being an impact and for a player like him he needs to be to warrant staying. I don't think its a foregone conclusion right now that Granland is here to stay and I think the Flames need more out of him. 

Just going by BH's comments, even after the last few games.  Bob loves his game.  It is reflected in his usage, TOI, and when he is played.  That is all it takes.  See Colborne.  See Russell.

Yes, he needs to bring it every game.  His PK reminds me of Byron; forces turnovers and gets SH chances.

Just going by BH's comments, even after the last few games.  Bob loves his game.  It is reflected in his usage, TOI, and when he is played.  That is all it takes.  See Colborne.  See Russell.

Yes, he needs to bring it every game.  His PK reminds me of Byron; forces turnovers and gets SH chances.

Since playing close to 20 mins in Buffalo he's played 16,15 and than the last 4 or 5 games he's playing 12-13 mins which is barely 3rd line. I think Hartley is seeing what I'm seeing and that is since that Buffalo game, Granland hasn't played all that well.

Since playing close to 20 mins in Buffalo he's played 16,15 and than the last 4 or 5 games he's playing 12-13 mins which is barely 3rd line. I think Hartley is seeing what I'm seeing and that is since that Buffalo game, Granland hasn't played all that well.

Think of who is on his line.  Bennett.  Beyond that, if you look at the icetime for the bottom 6, they are more or less the same as Granlund.  Granlund was given PK time, and strangely enough, no goals were score on the PK in the last 5 games.  His ice time was at times the same as Backlund or Stajan.

PP time seems to be one of the big factors for ice time.  Colborne and Raymond are getting more than others.   

If they are going to continue with Granlund at C and Bennett at LW, then he needs to improve his faceoff numbers.  

Think of who is on his line.  Bennett.  Beyond that, if you look at the icetime for the bottom 6, they are more or less the same as Granlund.  Granlund was given PK time, and strangely enough, no goals were score on the PK in the last 5 games.  His ice time was at times the same as Backlund or Stajan.

PP time seems to be one of the big factors for ice time.  Colborne and Raymond are getting more than others.   

If they are going to continue with Granlund at C and Bennett at LW, then he needs to improve his faceoff numbers.  

Yes he had one game where he was terrific with face-offs but since has tailed off.  Needs to be a continuous work, and not just for him.  Overall I have liked his game though as a line with Bennett they are not producing much, except great PK (well, at least much-improved).

I don't follow why it's relevant that because he is playing with Bennett therefore his ice time drops. IMO Harley has clearly shown that he doesn't have a ton of faith in either player right now.

Here is my problem with Granland. He does create very much offensively, outside his hot start so he really can't play in a top 6 role. He is terrible at faceoffs, is pretty passive and not a very positive possession player so you can't really play him as your 3rd line center. So your are stuck doing what Hartley has done and you play m as a 4th line pker which he is "ok" but not great at IMO.

He needs to do more to stick long term and IMO right now is not showing the flames that the can keep him in their future plans. I will come across as hard as him but this is exactly what happened last season. He looked great for 8 or so games and everyone though the flames had a new top 9 center and then he basically disappeared.

I don't follow why it's relevant that because he is playing with Bennett therefore his ice time drops. IMO Harley has clearly shown that he doesn't have a ton of faith in either player right now.

Here is my problem with Granland. He does create very much offensively, outside his hot start so he really can't play in a top 6 role. He is terrible at faceoffs, is pretty passive and not a very positive possession player so you can't really play him as your 3rd line center. So your are stuck doing what Hartley has done and you play m as a 4th line pker which he is "ok" but not great at IMO.

He needs to do more to stick long term and IMO right now is not showing the flames that the can keep him in their future plans. I will come across as hard as him but this is exactly what happened last season. He looked great for 8 or so games and everyone though the flames had a new top 9 center and then he basically disappeared.

I don't get why they are using him as a C at all (more trade value ? ) Granlund should be a LWer on the 3rd line.

Heading into the new year BT has some serious decisions to make on who to keep and who to move. I don't think Bollig is one that will get moved. Who best serves the cause in any trades or obtaining some picks for later ammunition ? Here is who I look to be gone.

Hiller, Hudler, Colborne, Granlund, Jones, Raymond, Russell and Wideman.

Heading into the new year BT has some serious decisions to make on who to keep and who to move. I don't think Bollig is one that will get moved. Who best serves the cause in any trades or obtaining some picks for later ammunition ? Here is who I look to be gone.

Hiller, Hudler, Colborne, Granlund, Jones, Raymond, Russell and Wideman.

I would be taking deals for all those players if possible. They don't have a future here, and I think we should be continuing to build the future of this team.

Archived