Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

I think Gary Roberts is a very apt comparison, although Bennett is far more graceful.

In two games so far, Bennett's FO% has been very good.  (53.85 & 62.50)  I'm not a big advanced stats guy, but Bennett's corsi has been excellent too.  Last game, his Corsi numbers were a team high at ~75% and a +15.

I don't think there's anything to worry about here.  The points will come.

I don't mind the Gary Roberts comparison either. Roberts was a Warrior for the Flames for many many years. Bennett would be a monster to handle at Gary Roberts fitness and compete levels.

If Bennett tops out at Gary Roberts level, I won't be unhappy about the pick, but I think his top end projection is much higher.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Flames drafted Bennett as a center.

One of a center's major responsibilities is winning the face-offs.

I'm glad that he is performing well at that task right away, many young centers take years to average over 50%.

I have confidence that his points will come in time, just glad that he is doing well at FOs and the defensive side of his game already.

I think Gary Roberts is a very apt comparison, although Bennett is far more graceful.

In two games so far, Bennett's FO% has been very good.  (53.85 & 62.50)  I'm not a big advanced stats guy, but Bennett's corsi has been excellent too.  Last game, his Corsi numbers were a team high at ~75% and a +15.

I don't think there's anything to worry about here.  The points will come.

Bennett models his play self admittedly after Gilmour and if you merge a Roberts with a Gilmour we will have one heck of a player on our hands. All for that.

When Gaudreau spent a few games in the press box early last season studying the game from a bird's eye view, he said he "didn't realize how much time and space he had".   He came back into the lineup with much more poise, patience, and confidence with the puck.

Bennett needs to learn this as well because he does't exercise any patience with the puck at all.  He's been rushing plays and doesn't seem to realize how much time and space he has.

I understand his game is all about bringing the puck into the front of the net, which is great, but still, he needs to wait for teammates to support him, help get to the front of the net to pick up the trash, help set picks, help create a disturbance.  Too often, it's a solo effort and that becomes a low percentage play when he's up against NHL calibre Dmen and NHL calibre goaltending.  He needs to learn to buy time with the puck and wait for the right time to jam the net.

When Gaudreau spent a few games in the press box early last season studying the game from a bird's eye view, he said he "didn't realize how much time and space he had".   He came back into the lineup with much more poise, patience, and confidence with the puck.

Bennett needs to learn this as well because he does't exercise any patience with the puck at all.  He's been rushing plays and doesn't seem to realize how much time and space he has.

I understand his game is all about bringing the puck into the front of the net, which is great, but still, he needs to wait for teammates to support him, help get to the front of the net to pick up the trash, help set picks, help create a disturbance.  Too often, it's a solo effort and that becomes a low percentage play when he's up against NHL calibre Dmen and NHL calibre goaltending.  He needs to learn to buy time with the puck and wait for the right time to jam the net.

Sure Johnny said that.  He is also such a competitor that he hates to be off the ice for a game.  The healthy scratch was as much a motivator for young Johnny as it was a learning opportunity.  

I don't think that Bennett needs to sit out a game to be motivated.  He watched enough last season.  What he has to do is learn how to draw the other team in, then pass it to a free player.  Or be in the quiet zones lurking.  

Wow, got to admit i'm really surprised by the negativity....

Points or no points I think Bennett has played very well to start the season. He's created chances, he has played a 200ft game and been reliable in the faceoff dot. Personaly I'd rather see him do those things now and have 0 points, then have 4 points and not be doing those things. That to me, shows more growth as a pro then anything else, get the little things done right and do your job so the rest will come.

Now this is cool just what the DR ordered a little inelegant input from the ppl that follow this team and there players for me the game goes so fast that I miss a lot it sucks but there it is reading what others are seeing is great I do see some things but I do miss a lot as well. As far as Bennett goes to me he is moving so fast that it seems like he for gets there is a team behind him but he is going to be a force to recon with in the future it will be the HGM line the Bennett and who ever ends up with him im sure it will be a hard nose bring your lunch box to work type line im sure Forlik and maybe a Poirier type player hard hitting and a scoring touch. Time will tell  

Points or no points I think Bennett has played very well to start the season. He's created chances, he has played a 200ft game and been reliable in the faceoff dot. Personaly I'd rather see him do those things now and have 0 points, then have 4 points and not be doing those things. That to me, shows more growth as a pro then anything else, get the little things done right and do your job so the rest will come.

I am with you. Looking pretty dynamic today as well.

You mean, you don't think all the points worked out for Baertschi?

I agree and see Bennett doing a lot of those little things right. Add to that his great puck pursuit and he doing just fine.

He might be snakebitten a bit for points, but he hasn't had the same luxury of top linemates like JH had last season.

The negativity might be coming from some who expected big point production from him because of draft position. I suppose if all someone does is look at points and where he was drafted they might be disappointed ... I suppose..

I agree and see Bennett doing a lot of those little things right. Add to that his great puck pursuit and he doing just fine.

He might be snakebitten a bit for points, but he hasn't had the same luxury of top linemates like JH had last season.

The negativity might be coming from some who expected big point production from him because of draft position. I suppose if all someone does is look at points and where he was drafted they might be disappointed ... I suppose..

I think disappointment is coming from the fact that he performed well in the post-season last year--not draft position. That being said, I think the kid's alright.

I don't mind if it takes him a few years. To get good medium range but reliable service bodes well for long term team growth if we have to pay monahan and Gaudreau sooner.

I am happy, even if it means playing wing for a bit, as I think better liberates will help him more.

Not sure who was being negative.  I'm suggesting ways he can further improve his game on the offensive side of things.  I have no problems with him on the ice in any given situation.  He's pretty good in the faceoff dot, good positioning without the puck, and is defensively responsible.

Now, what does he need to do to score more goals and help generate more offense?

Not sure who was being negative.  I'm suggesting ways he can further improve his game on the offensive side of things.  I have no problems with him on the ice in any given situation.  He's pretty good in the faceoff dot, good positioning without the puck, and is defensively responsible.

Now, what does he need to do to score more goals and help generate more offense?

I honestly think it's as easy as keep doing what he is doing. Until getting hurt tonight he was building every game. I really think once he feels comfortable with the defensive responsibility he'll start thinking less and thinking less means more skills more drive to the net and more chances. It's simple a process with Bennett IMO.

I saw on one particular shift, he took a hard hit from behind and his head smashed into the glass.  He shook it off after a second or two and played on.  He finished the game fine.  I'm wondering if that was it though.  Maybe a slight "ding" and he needs to sit out for a week for protocol.

Hartley was quoted as saying he kind of expects Same to practice on Monday, just a little banged up.  That doesn't sound like concussion protocol.

Bennett is back to wing.  It would be nice if the coaching staff would give the kid some stability.  He has been up and down the line up and to and from centre.  Not so much based on his play, but apparently based on injuries and other line placements.  He is a 19-year old kid.  He isn't the guy that should be bumped around.  

Bennett is back to wing.  It would be nice if the coaching staff would give the kid some stability.  He has been up and down the line up and to and from centre.  Not so much based on his play, but apparently based on injuries and other line placements.  He is a 19-year old kid.  He isn't the guy that should be bumped around.  

He also seems to be playing mostly with other "rookies".  I thought he looked best when playing with Frolik, but it seems they want Frolik to be a shut-down player first.  That means playing with Backlund.  

It's time to try this,

Bennett - Monahan - Frolik

Gaudreau - Backlund - Hudler

To me, the magic has always been between Gaudreau and Hudler rather than Gaudreau and Monahan.  Keep Gaudreau and Hudler together.  Give Monahan another LW.  I can see Bennett - Monahan - Frolik as a line that can cycle in the offensive zone very well.

Archived