Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

I'm just curious.  Since last year's draft was touted as a "weak" draft, i wonder where we would rank Sam Bennett if he was in this year's draft.  Do you guys still have him top 4?  Or do you think last year's draft simply tailed off quickly and lacked depth but last year's Top 4 is still worthy of this year's top 4?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just curious.  Since last year's draft was touted as a "weak" draft, i wonder where we would rank Sam Bennett if he was in this year's draft.  Do you guys still have him top 4?  Or do you think last year's draft simply tailed off quickly and lacked depth but last year's Top 4 is still worthy of this year's top 4?

Well I would say since the only reason he seemed to fall from #1 last year was the idea he couldnt do a pull up( but that was settled with his shoulder injury). I would say he might fall somewhere in the 3-5 range, obviously behind Mcdavid and eichel. I think he would be on the same level as strome, hanafin and marner, Kingston has been a weaker team offensively for the past couple seasons and he still put up good numbers.

He wouldn't have had surgery in his draft year, so he likely would have been up there with McDavid and Strome for points in the OHL.

He is a better player than Crouse, so take the ISS rankings and bump down Crouse by 1. 

A lot has been said about how weak last year's draft is but it appears at the top, there was still quality.  I think Ekblad can make a case for being the 3rd overall pick in this year's draft.  Reinhart and Bennett are comparable to Marner.  Drasailt is kind of comparable to Crouse.  Dal Colle could be considered Top 10.

I'm glad we weren't picking 15 last year though.  After about the 12th pick, the quality dropped off quickly.  This year, there's still players comparable to Virtanen, Ritchie, Sanheim, etc well into the 20s. 

• 3 weeks later...

We have seen alot of players that were thought to be week surprise use look at JH 4 round Carroll what was he 5 round he could be a surprise I hope big strong and good hands and thats just in our barn look around there are a few out there in the higher rounds that have been a great addition to teams Johnson for the Lightning. Just to name a few time will tell

• 2 months later...

Any news on Bennetts training/weight/etc?

Been reading a lot of Oiler fans claiming that Draistl is infinitely superior to Bennett, I guess they don't consider that Bennett has more playoff goals than Draistl has regular season goals in 37 games...

All I know is he is healthy and he will be going to Penticton for next week's tournament.

I don't really care what Oilers fans think. It will be interesting to watch Bennett, Reinhart, and Draisaitl develop. Bennett is clearly in the lead but it's early.

Personally Bennett was my top pick heading into the draft. Draisaitl was my number two though. If the Oilers stop ruining their prospects he could very a very good player.

Personally Bennett was my top pick heading into the draft. Draisaitl was my number two though. If the Oilers stop ruining their prospects he could very a very good player.

Same here. Glad we got Bennett though, I think long run he'll be more of a game changer. I figured Draisaitl to be more of that steady, calming 1st/2nd line two way center. Bennett always seemed like an on-the-edge in your face offensive sparkplug who wasn't a liability. Seeing as we have Monahan as that calm, steady 1st/2nd line 2-way Center, Bennett provides something equally useful but different from what we have already.

Same here. Glad we got Bennett though, I think long run he'll be more of a game changer. I figured Draisaitl to be more of that steady, calming 1st/2nd line two way center. Bennett always seemed like an on-the-edge in your face offensive sparkplug who wasn't a liability. Seeing as we have Monahan as that calm, steady 1st/2nd line 2-way Center, Bennett provides something equally useful but different from what we have already.

I think it's fair that both players be compared against one another for the rest of their careers.  There's a Flames/Oilers rivalry involved and Sam Bennett was ranked higher than Draisaitl by most rankings.

It will be interesting to see if Draisaitl gets ruined by the Oilers.  He was thrown into the fire last season and got overwhelmed.  I think a good comparable to Draisailt right now is something like Ryan O'Reilly with a ceiling of Patrick Marleau, Very good size, speed, two-way play and is dependable 5-on-5.  Based on his Junior performance, the future is bright... but another year in the NHL like he had last season would really hurt his stock.

I do prefer Bennett over Draisaitl (who wouldn't.)  The only thing holding Bennett back is his body frame which doesn't match the power forward style of game he wants to play.  He needs to learn to use his teammates more as well because he's a bit of a puck hog who doesn't pass (since there was no one to pass to in Kingston).  But that all said, he is fully aware of the scoring areas in the offensive zone and he's capable of bringing the puck there.  I think we're looking at a ceiling of Corey Perry.

I think it's fair that both players be compared against one another for the rest of their careers.  There's a Flames/Oilers rivalry involved and Sam Bennett was ranked higher than Draisaitl by most rankings.

It will be interesting to see if Draisaitl gets ruined by the Oilers.  He was thrown into the fire last season and got overwhelmed.  I think a good comparable to Draisailt right now is something like Ryan O'Reilly with a ceiling of Patrick Marleau, Very good size, speed, two-way play and is dependable 5-on-5.  Based on his Junior performance, the future is bright... but another year in the NHL like he had last season would really hurt his stock.

I do prefer Bennett over Draisaitl (who wouldn't.)  The only thing holding Bennett back is his body frame which doesn't match the power forward style of game he wants to play.  He needs to learn to use his teammates more as well because he's a bit of a puck hog who doesn't pass (since there was no one to pass to in Kingston).  But that all said, he is fully aware of the scoring areas in the offensive zone and he's capable of bringing the puck there.  I think we're looking at a ceiling of Corey Perry.

Considering he is only 19 (yes Canuck fans, only 19), he will start to fill out over the next few years.  Bennett was my first choice since I knew there was no way to get Ekblad.  I had no interest in Draisaitl, as I feel his speed is less than what is needed in the NHL.  He dominated in the OHL due to his size and playing on a very good team.

Bennett's speed will help him make the transition to the NHL before his body weight catches up.  Think of Byron with the ability to finish.  I expect his first year will be similar to Monahan's, in that he will score more goals than assists.  He is going to find the prime spots for scoring, so he will be fed the puck quite a bit.

Once Poirier makes the team full-time, I think he will be a perfect match for Bennett's game.  Kind of like having a Perry at center and one on RW.  Dare to dream, I guess. 

Considering he is only 19 (yes Canuck fans, only 19), he will start to fill out over the next few years.  Bennett was my first choice since I knew there was no way to get Ekblad.  I had no interest in Draisaitl, as I feel his speed is less than what is needed in the NHL.  He dominated in the OHL due to his size and playing on a very good team.

Bennett's speed will help him make the transition to the NHL before his body weight catches up.  Think of Byron with the ability to finish.  I expect his first year will be similar to Monahan's, in that he will score more goals than assists.  He is going to find the prime spots for scoring, so he will be fed the puck quite a bit.

Once Poirier makes the team full-time, I think he will be a perfect match for Bennett's game.  Kind of like having a Perry at center and one on RW.  Dare to dream, I guess. 

Anyway we look at it, this year is going to be an exciting year for Sam Bennett and his development.  Luckily for him, he's got good support all around him and good possible linemates (whereas Monahan had nobody to work with him his first year).  The great thing with Bennett is that he just wants to play whether it's LW or C, he just wants to be in the lineup and that's a great attitude to have.  We can shelter him when he goes cold and we can promote him up the lines when he's on fire.

The Flames Cup hopes hangs on his development.  All the pieces are in place and if Bennett can become what he's capable of in the next 2 to 3 seasons, then it's going to be party time here.

In terms of Poirier, he didn't show much last season and he needs to get a lot better before we can consider him a full timer.  I think he might be the 13th forward or on call-ups throughout this season.

Anyway we look at it, this year is going to be an exciting year for Sam Bennett and his development.  Luckily for him, he's got good support all around him and good possible linemates (whereas Monahan had nobody to work with him his first year).  The great thing with Bennett is that he just wants to play whether it's LW or C, he just wants to be in the lineup and that's a great attitude to have.  We can shelter him when he goes cold and we can promote him up the lines when he's on fire.

The Flames Cup hopes hangs on his development.  All the pieces are in place and if Bennett can become what he's capable of in the next 2 to 3 seasons, then it's going to be party time here.

In terms of Poirier, he didn't show much last season and he needs to get a lot better before we can consider him a full timer.  I think he might be the 13th forward or on call-ups throughout this season.

Poirier was used mostly in spot duty.  He play anywhere from 4 to 10 minutes in all of 6 games, the average being about 8.  Not exactly much opportunity to light it up.  He is going to have to find his Ying, like Johnny had in Jiri.  That said, I think he is one full season away from being a full-time player on the Flames.   

Haynes said the exact same thing on 960 Poirier is a season away from a full time NHLer Im hoping he is a this yr player if not im thinking he will be trade bait next yr. There is also a Baily they have decided to try if he manages to open the eyes of  Brad and Brian he could become a staple in the AHL and then I for see him pushing poirier out. We are at the cupbards are full and need to make room for top quality players no longer a hope and a dream team they now must produce.

It was a response to someone saying Monahan had no one around him when he came in. 

Yeah, but Mony played a lot of 3rd line, Hudler, notsomuch.

Monahan didn't line up with Hudler much.

Bennett DOES have more talent around him than Mony did.

They don't compare, as per how they're entering the roster.

All I can picture is Hartley pretending he is Oprah

*Looks at Monahan* You get a Hudler

*Looks at JH* You get a Hudler

*Looks at rest of team* EVERYBODY GETS A HUDLER

YAY!

Haynes said the exact same thing on 960 Poirier is a season away from a full time NHLer Im hoping he is a this yr player if not im thinking he will be trade bait next yr. There is also a Baily they have decided to try if he manages to open the eyes of  Brad and Brian he could become a staple in the AHL and then I for see him pushing poirier out. We are at the cupbards are full and need to make room for top quality players no longer a hope and a dream team they now must produce.

Why would you consider trading poirier?

Disagree, think Poirier is going to make the team out of TC or first call-up and not look back.  He was intense and motivated at D-camp and I feel he's ready.

Poirier is not even close to the same type of player as Baillie.  Poirier is a slightly undersized power forward, pesky Doug Gilmour typre guy.  He has blazing speed and a wicked shot.  He is tough.  

Poirier will get his time to shine.  He has just part of a season at the pro level and was already a points leader on the baby Flames.

This coming off surgery and no camp.  No way the Flames give up on him in a few short years after being drafted.  How many years did we have Backlund before he was trusted.  Sven was an example of how to end up being traded, not because he didn't show promise.

Archived