Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bollig was good tonight, he will be an assest in the Playoffs to as it gets close checking and the game slows down.

Back to Bennett, now that the last game is meaningless for both teams, I would venture to let the kid play now. I would have at no time allowed him to play without us being in the playoffs at risk. He may not even play as home ice advantage is at stake. That said I have now lessened my stance with him possibly playing.

He didn't cost us the game. He was on the ice for the only goal scored, though. In a game against the heavyweights, the Johnny/Mony/Hudler line made the most impact. Stajan and Ferland were beasts out there; relentless on the forecheck.

As Kehatch said, you need to see what you have in the stable. Bennett could be a difference maker given a chance. Wotherspoon could do no less than Potter did against the Kings (2:38 TOI). I might be also tempted to give Ortio some time in Nets. If the Nucks beat the Oilers, then this game has no bearing on the standings, but we need to have everyone ready to play next week.

He hasn't looked that great. I might be over critical about his play. But he is small and trying to do things, but the Jets' D seem to be all over him. Came out gang busters with a point. After that they keyed on him. 

That could also be having the first line out, they can key on him more. 

I wait to see what he does after the summer. 

He hasn't looked that great. I might be over critical about his play. But he is small and trying to do things, but the Jets' D seem to be all over him. Came out gang busters with a point. After that they keyed on him. 

That could also be having the first line out, they can key on him more. 

I wait to see what he does after the summer.

He did about the same as Johnny did in his first game. He has to adjust to the close checking. Junior has very similar size player to play against, so he has to figure out how to find room, just like Johnny did.

He will be at his best in a speed game. He could (and I say could) match up well against the Nucks.

I think a part of it was the quality of players. It really looked like an AHL game out there today from our side. 

If he is playing on a line with NHLers regularly, they also know how to get that open ice that you're talking about. 

I just think sometimes he holds on to the puck too long and if he passes a bit more he'd open up more space for himself. I don't know if he would work with Johnny because they both like hanging onto the puck. 

Hartley kept putting him out there almost every other shift. Maybe looking to see how he might gel with other players. 

Hartley's presser stated he was trying him at wing and center to gauge a fit for potential in the playoffs. BH said his skating was good but he needed work in other areas.

Other work:

Faceoffs - 17% check

It would be nice to have a top 6 option (2nd scoring line that is) to bring into games.

Other work:

Faceoffs - 17% check

It would be nice to have a top 6 option (2nd scoring line that is) to bring into games.

There was lots to like about the kid. His compete level was great, skating, he isn't afraid to take the puck to the net and his puck possession I loved. He is going to be good, needs some beef though. He will be a game changer next season. Not sure we see him in the playoffs, but as you indicated he won't be taking to many draws lol. 

That was something I thought was good, because moving around he still played his defensive end properly. He still needs size. He might have to play next year in the NHL due to being too good for juniors. Nothing else to prove. He will have to be cradled in like Monahan's 1st season. 

Long term, I think he's gonna be good. :) 

Part of it will be injuries. He can't be worse than Raymond though. Really, he can't. He checks and drives the net. Raymond runs around, loses it, then can't put body pressure on the opposition. I'd rather have Bennet on the 3rd line LW than Raymond.
I like the Ferland - Stajan - Jones line @#2 for now. Ferland's stepped up, as has Stajan.

Bennett participated on line rushes at practice with Backlund and Colborne/Byron.

He was also practicing on the #2 power-play unit.

The guy who didn't really have a fit was Raymond; was basically an extra on the ice.

BT said he was giving Hartley the power to use Sam's 9 games if needed, regardless of whether that birned a year or not. Hartley said no lines were set in stone, and everyone was a game-time decision. Take for what it is. We will know who plays Wednesday.

I appreciate the fact that BT has given us the green-light to play Sam Bennett as much as the coach feels is necessary. If it burns a year of the contract he isn't worried if Hartley feels it was in the best interest. That shows that he wants it as much as we do.

Id like to see Sam's line play head to head with Horvats line, they played allot of hockey agaisnt one another in the OHL and both look to be the future of there respective clubs.

The Bennett/Backlund/Colburne lime showed they can be dominant in this series and can take some pressure off the 1st line.

What a performance from the kid, Calgary looks like a team that can be a legitimate contender soon.

GO BENNETT GO!

Does anyone actually think Raymond should come back in and Bennett go back out?  Was there any player out there that didn't belong? The closest to that was Bollig, but would he be an upgrade to Bollig on the 4th line?  I can't believe I am saying that.

Maybe the added speed to that line might result in some additional pressure, but I think Raymond only plays good with the puck.  And I wouldn't want him near the 2nd PP unit.

Since this is about Sam, I would say that is the biggest impact from a new rookie player I have seen in one game.  Johnny didn't do that until after he scored his first goal (game 6??). Sam is a keeper.

Archived