Official Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

flames-fan-911

21 points in 9 games... Not too bad!

Back to semantics though, I always thought of a generational player not as best in the league, but the best on a team for 10-15 years. Someone you build around.

Sakic, Forsberg, Yzerman, Toews, Doughty, Chara, Brodeur, Modano, Pronger, etc.

All cup winners, all very valuable in different ways. It's early but Bennett could fit in to that category, he's certainly one of the best in Frontenacs history.

Not to re-derail this thread, but those are called "Franchise" Players. 

Bennett has the potential makings of a Franchise player.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was he scratched for tonight's loss against Oshawa?  He doesn't appear on the roster.

The Frontenacs got whooped 9-1.  I'd never seen a team play three nights in a row.

yes, the big top line was scratched because Oshawa is doomed already, so no need to put out your best for the game.  Kingston has a clinched playoff spot.

Keep your best fresh, and injury free.  Also, it's to piss off the opposing team, showing you don't need to give them the respect of competition. ;)

yes, the big top line was scratched because Oshawa is doomed already, so no need to put out your best for the game.  Kingston has a clinched playoff spot.

Keep your best fresh, and injury free.  Also, it's to piss off the opposing team, showing you don't need to give them the respect of competition. ;)

It was a good decision. Hunter Smith was taking out his frustrations, and ended up with a "head shot" penalty and game suspension. Would he have let up on a future teammate? Not sure.

Not to re-derail this thread, but those are called "Franchise" Players. 

Bennett has the potential makings of a Franchise player.

Not to de-rail this thread either but EXACTLY.

About 3 to 5 prospects are labelled Franchise Player in every draft but you only get one prospect labelled Generational once every five to ten years or so. Sam Bennett is Franchise Player potential.

It was a good decision. Hunter Smith was taking out his frustrations, and ended up with a "head shot" penalty and game suspension. Would he have let up on a future teammate? Not sure.

My guess is that Hunter Smith understands that if he touched one fair hair on Sam's head, he'd be on his way to the Oilers in a trade for a Slim Whitman album and a bag of hockey pucks.

I think we have a couple that could be franchise players mono and JH with the addition of Sam we will have a tuff team up front now we need 1 in the back end I know we have a couple but could use another high end Dman on draft day Hoping first pick will be a top Dman this yr I think we have some promising players up front time to fixate on the back end.

So... let's open a can of worms, if Kingston loses, where does Bennet go? I'd say AHL to help them in the playoff push. Could he (or should he) go to the NHL for a bit, esp if we want to save an emergency call up.

I could be wrong but I think he can only play for Calgary if there is an emergency situation like Sven a few years back.

In my mind the only choice is to sign him to an ATO and play him in Adirondack.

I could be wrong but I think he can only play for Calgary if there is an emergency situation like Sven a few years back.

The Sven situation was different because he was called up from an active WHL team, regular season, on an emergency recall. Once a player came back, he was returned to the WHL team during the season.

As to whether he can play for CGY, well that is a tough call. We have one call-up left. After that we could have an emergency call-up. I think we would need an actual shortage to use that. We have health scratches right now. The fact that he is a signed player might allow him to play in one of these two situations.

Saying all that (still don't know for sure), why would BT call him up after expressly sending him back to junior? It doesn't make any sense really. The games are doubly more important now.

If his contract was signed after the trade deadline that would be the only option since he could not play in the playoffs either in the NHL or AHL under a "professional" contract. Since he was signed before then and sent to the CHL the flames are allowed to call him up and play him in either league after his CHL season is over. It is part of the transfer agreement between the leagues. A relevant example from Calgary, and this is going back a number of years, but Iggy played a playoff series before his rookie season after his WHL team was eliminated.

The Sven situation was different because he was called up from an active WHL team, regular season, on an emergency recall. Once a player came back, he was returned to the WHL team during the season.

As to whether he can play for CGY, well that is a tough call. We have one call-up left. After that we could have an emergency call-up. I think we would need an actual shortage to use that. We have health scratches right now. The fact that he is a signed player might allow him to play in one of these two situations.

Saying all that (still don't know for sure), why would BT call him up after expressly sending him back to junior? It doesn't make any sense really. The games are doubly more important now.

Personally I would send him to the AHL until at least the NHL regular season is over. If he is dominant at that point bring him up to the NHL for playoff experience, if he isn't let him try to help take Adirondack deep and get experience that way. I think he is skilled enough that you can offer him that carrot and tell him it is up to him to prove he should get to play with the legitimate belief that it is within his reach. Plus there have been a number of dirty games recently and I am not sure I want him exposed to that against teams that are fighting with us for their playoff lives. I expect the kings will be vicious on April 9th if the playoffs are on the line for them. I would much rather introduce him in the playoffs after he has a few professional games under his belt against Vancouver, which isn't a rough team, or St. Louis, who I can't feeling threatened enough by the Flames to feel the need to try to hurt players.

Next year he is either in the NHL or OHL again, so you might as well use the only chance you will get to develop him in the AHL and it goes with the "earned never given" mantra. I expect it will be in the NHL next year personally.

Also the emergency call up thing I don't believe works anymore since teams are able to carry as many players as they want on their NHL roster (as long as they don't call up more then 4 players, so they would need them up as of the deadline). I recall reading a few times that teams want to abbolish the rule and one of the primary arguments is that there have been a number of instances where teams have had to play with a short bench at the end of the season because they didn't have any call ups left after sending guys back down (why we kept Porier up even though we didn't have a spot for him in the lineup) or had to many injuries.

My decision hinges on wether or not Adirondack is looking like a playoff team. My favorite scenario would be he play for adirondack for the rest of the season plus at least one playoff round but my fear is that I don't rally are how 5 or 6 AHL games help him. If that's all it would be then I would prefer him in calgary practicing with the team and seeing a playoff style atmosphere.

My decision hinges on wether or not Adirondack is looking like a playoff team. My favorite scenario would be he play for adirondack for the rest of the season plus at least one playoff round but my fear is that I don't rally are how 5 or 6 AHL games help him. If that's all it would be then I would prefer him in calgary practicing with the team and seeing a playoff style atmosphere.

I think being part of the Black Aces is one of the best ideas.  I think he is at NHL game readiness now, so the AHL doesn't make a whole lot of sense as a primer.

I think being part of the Black Aces is one of the best ideas. I think he is at NHL game readiness now, so the AHL doesn't make a whole lot of sense as a primer.

I do like the AHL option just not for so short. If he can get some playoff action first hand in the A I think that's best but I agree that the AHL is necessary for him so to only put him down there for a few games doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Archived