2014 Young Stars Classic : Flames-Canucks-Jets-Oilers

So why is Wolf not eligible?  Age?

Yeah.. He's born in 1989.

None of the teams are bringing prospects older than 1991... Except the Oilers who are bring 4 players born in 1990. But they need wins in their organization, no matter the level.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the eligibility requirements?  Why is Reinhart ineligible?

100 pro games.

He has 134 in the A in addition to his NHL cups of coffee.

I don't think the ECHL counts despite technically being a pro league... so i think that's why a guy like Blain is there.

You guys wanna read something really funny...

http://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-jensen-corrado-no-longer-young-stars/

See if you can pick up on whether or not he's upset about something. 

See you notice anything contradictory.

Made me laugh at how someone can be so passionate about something this this...

Anyways... for further reference...

Jets are bringing:
One 1990 born player, one 91, two 92's. Total 4

Oilers are bringing:
Four 1990's, one 91 and three 92's. Total 8

Flames are bringing:
No 1990's, four 91's, four 1992's. Total 8

Canucks are bringing:
No 1990's, No 1991's, three 1992's. Total 3

Jensen and Corrado are born in 1993.

You guys wanna read something really funny...

http://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-jensen-corrado-no-longer-young-stars/

See if you can pick up on whether or not he's upset about something. 

See you notice anything contradictory.

Made me laugh at how someone can be so passionate about something this this...

Anyways... for further reference...

Jets are bringing:

One 1990 born player, one 91, two 92's. Total 4

Oilers are bringing:

Four 1990's, one 91 and three 92's. Total 8

Flames are bringing:

No 1990's, four 91's, four 1992's. Total 8

Canucks are bringing:

No 1990's, No 1991's, three 1992's. Total 3

Jensen and Corrado are born in 1993.

That's a pretty Canuck sided view of the situation.  Almost all of those 90-93 birth dates are college players or invites that have 10 or less pro games each.  Kessy, Ramage, and Ortio are the only exceptions.  The first two have one partial season of pro split between the AHL and ECHL.  Ortio has had 60 pro games in North America and he probably won't play anyway.  

Wotherspoon and Klefbom are the closer comparable players despite birth dates.  Neither are all that close to the 100 game cutoff.  Wotherspoon isn't playing.  I personally don't think Klefbom should.  

Jensen spent the past two seasons split between the AHL and the NHL.  Corrado was in the NHL playoffs two seasons ago.  Both finished their seasons in the NHL. Both are juuuuuuust shy of the pro cutoff limit.  In fact Jensen is past the cutoff if they counted playoff games. 

I don't think all that much pantie knotting is warranted.  In fact, I agree it is funny rather than upsetting (I just see the humor for different reasons than you.) But the fact remains that every other team left the players that were borderline eligible off the roster and the Canucks didn't.  In fact, the Canucks pushed the rules to use a technicality to get their guys on the roster.  

That's a pretty Canuck sided view of the situation. Almost all of those 90-93 birth dates are college players or invites that have 10 or less pro games each. Kessy, Ramage, and Ortio are the only exceptions. The first two have one partial season of pro split between the AHL and ECHL. Ortio has had 60 pro games in North America and he probably won't play anyway.

Wotherspoon and Klefbom are the closer comparable players despite birth dates. Neither are all that close to the 100 game cutoff. Wotherspoon isn't playing. I personally don't think Klefbom should.

Jensen spent the past two seasons split between the AHL and the NHL. Corrado was in the NHL playoffs two seasons ago. Both finished their seasons in the NHL. Both are juuuuuuust shy of the pro cutoff limit. In fact Jensen is past the cutoff if they counted playoff games.

I don't think all that much pantie knotting is warranted. In fact, I agree it is funny rather than upsetting (I just see the humor for different reasons than you.) But the fact remains that every other team left the players that were borderline eligible off the roster and the Canucks didn't. In fact, the Canucks pushed the rules to use a technicality to get their guys on the roster.

At the end of the day they are young prospects that are not yet NHL regulars in need of further evaluation.

The slant the writer put on Jensen's experience with the Sedins or referencing Corrado's callup from 2 years ago was laughable.

Writer mentions but completely dismisses the fact there is new regime in town that needs to evaluate the talent they have.

Vancouver will justify it as an evaluation tool following an off-season full of off-ice changes. This tournament will give the new staff members — most notably, president Trevor Linden, general manager Jim Benning and head coach Willie Desjardins — a first-hand look at two of the franchise’s most seasoned prospects, but Penticton isn’t the place for that.

Why the F Not? It seems like the PERFECT place for that! He just has no clue.

Also of note, the prospect depth of the Canuck organization is weak. i.e. who else could they of sent. The fact they have no prospects from 90 and 91 and just 3 from 92 is telling.

Why did he fail to mention that the Canucks group is by far the youngest of the teams going?

Why did he fail to mention all the prospects from Wpg with Calder Cup experience last yr which you would think by far trumps the experience of Jensen/Corrado?

Its called an agenda.

He clearly has one.

The angle of comparing the prospects to NHL regulars when they themselves are anything but is slanted.

How juvenile and unprofessional is this:

Now he’ll probably end up being a tournament “all-star” and Vancouver fans will come away claiming Corrado’s better than Darnell Nurse (Edmonton) or Josh Morrissey (Winnipeg Jets),

It was a joke trash article designed to be petty and be mocked.

I shouldn't be shocked that there will be sheep out there that will read this and go 'yeah, he's right you know! the Canucks should be scrutinized for this decision! rabble rabble'

Calgary has a new set of leaders in town as well. But they left Hanowski, Knight, Baertschi, etc off the roster because they have progressed past the point where it would make sense to have them in a tournament for rookie players.

Is it worth getting upset about? Nah. But it is an odd decision. Not just in the interest of fairness. But also its just practical. What are the Canucks really going to learn about those players considering the disparity in experience? Wouldn't it make more sense to focus the ice time on prospects and invites where there was something worth learning?

Bad decision IMO.

PS: What do you expect? You bring an article trashing the Canucks to a Flames sight, complain about it, and expect support! Say huh?!?!

Not so much as looking for support like 'hey, he blasting my team, feel bad for my team'..

Just looking for a comment about this passing as an article... on the tone, quality and selective bias of the article..

It was more of a surprise to me that it was posted in an actual paper and passed as journalism as opposed to being posted on a Flames message board somewhere.

Anyways... I'm sure this is the best thing to happen to guy's career.
He probably received the most hits on this article than all others combined as a result.
He'll probably be interviewed during the tourny by a Van/Cgy/Edm/Wpg radio station..
No one had heard of him before.
it was a great career move.

But to me... it's just a continuation of the downfall of media - sacrificing quality/integrity for hits.

Lines tonight:

Ferland - Granlund - Jooris

Gaudreau - Arnold - Smith

Klimchuk - Bennett - Carroll

Van Brabant - Magee - Agostino

Kanzig - Roy

Sieloff - Kulak

Culkin - Ramage

Ortio

McDonald

Forwards not in are Bell, Elson, Hathaway, and Padakin. Poirier is injured. Wolf is ineligible.

Defence not in are Fram, Neill, and Gedig. Wotherspoon is hurt. Hopefully we see Fram next game.

Mancina is the third goalie.

Love the lines. Obviously the Arnold line is super exciting. But I am really curious about Ferland. He and Granlund should be pretty dominant. Especially with Jooris.

My eye is on Kanzig.  This tourny is going to give us a real good look at him.  Word is he's been working on his skating and is much improved in that area.  If we take our time with him and develop him properly I think he could be a diamond in the rough.  You look at another big D-man like Chara, he wasn't all that great of a skater when he came into the league but look at him now.  Not flashy but solid.

Lines tonight:

Ferland - Granlund - Jooris

Gaudreau - Arnold - Smith

Klimchuk - Bennett - Carroll

Van Brabant - Magee - Agostino

Kanzig - Roy

Sieloff - Kulak

Culkin - Ramage

Ortio

McDonald

Forwards not in are Bell, Elson, Hathaway, and Padakin. Poirier is injured. Wolf is ineligible.

Defence not in are Fram, Neill, and Gedig. Wotherspoon is hurt. Hopefully we see Fram next game.

Mancina is the third goalie.

Love the lines. Obviously the Arnold line is super exciting. But I am really curious about Ferland. He and Granlund should be pretty dominant. Especially with Jooris.

I thought Ferland played last year as RW; would loved to see him on Johnny's line.  I guess that wouldn't prove anything, though.  ;)

Would like to see Padakin get a game in too, as he sounds interesting.  I believe he is already availale to the Hitmen as an overager.  Maybe he gets an invite to camp. 

Interested in seeing Kanzig, Seilof and Kulak as well.  Two bruisers and a mover.  Hope to see Fram as well.

Archived