Tsn Original: Playing To Lose

s4xon

It bugs me when a franchise's biggest claims to fame come from tanking and then later winning the lottery, which is probably why I'll never be able to stand them. Strange to think Mario could (and should) have been drafted by another team, and how that would have altered hockey history.

Just that image of them standing in front of all their monuments to Lemieux and defending it makes me a little sick.

I still hope they change the lottery system before next draft

I still think its fine, when you consider that the last 3 years the worst team in the league hasn't picked first, it kinda eliminates the thought that teams are currently trying for the worst.  An organization also has to sell themselves to the players it wants to take, although it is very rare, it can still happen where the player refuses to go to that team, Mario was close himself, but top of my head there is Lindros, John Elway, Eli Manning and Bryan Berard.  Out of that only one franchise truly benefited from that, but if there is also a relocation before the payoff is it really a win?

Thankfully the only tank in the Flames vocabulary is named McGrattan...

2ce942237b01d34c6152a45416981c7a.png

For those that might want one of theses shirts, you can order one here...   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brian-McGrattan-Calgary-Hockey-Player-Big-Ern-McGrattan-T-Shirt-/231149585554?pt=US_Mens_Tshirts&hash=item35d196c492   It's where I got mine...   :)

Thankfully the only tank in the Flames vocabulary is named McGrattan...

2ce942237b01d34c6152a45416981c7a.png

For those that might want one of theses shirts, you can order one here...   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brian-McGrattan-Calgary-Hockey-Player-Big-Ern-McGrattan-T-Shirt-/231149585554?pt=US_Mens_Tshirts&hash=item35d196c492   It's where I got mine...   :)

I can't believe he got a 10 min misconduct for that salute. I was at that game and now forget who was deserving of his knuckle sandwich just prior. I bought the canvas print and it looks great on the wall in the man's cave.

I still hope they change the lottery system before next draft

Agreed.

It's not whether or not the last 3 years have or have not resulted in franchise altering #1 overall picks.  It's to ensure that losing down the stretch does not gaurantee the #1 overall pick (or for that matter, every draft position needs to be a lottery).

It bugs me when a franchise's biggest claims to fame come from tanking and then later winning the lottery, which is probably why I'll never be able to stand them. Strange to think Mario could (and should) have been drafted by another team, and how that would have altered hockey history.

Just that image of them standing in front of all their monuments to Lemieux and defending it makes me a little sick.

If not for the over obvious tank job Mario would have gone to the Devils (not much consolation to me other then the fact they were that bad legit). Interesting to think how different they would have built their team if they had the 1/1 in Lemieux that they were bad enough to claim.

The Pens would have been moved (@ the time most likely was KC) so another thing to wonder about.

http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/Default.a...section=Sports

Here is the full video. 

Makes me sick to watch this.  Makes me even more sick that they were handed Crosby 20 years later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks FF for the heads up on the release date.

I'm glad they showed Mario shunning the podium & the Pens scout on hands & knees begging. I saw it live on tv then & it fed my disgust further.

BTW, that might give insight into my aversion to any sugestion of the Flames tanking for a higher pick. After doing something like that I can't see how any player can put pride in that jersey even 30 years later.

NJ took the high road & are @ least a team that earns respect.

No problem for the heads up. I figured it's a must see.

Thanks for putting up the link for those that missed it. They might understand finally that tanking means you have 0 pride no matter how you try to cloak it.

BTW, that might give insight into my aversion to any sugestion of the Flames tanking for a higher pick. After doing something like that I can't see how any player can put pride in that jersey even 30 years later.

Tanking should not result in a higher pick.

That would solve this problem.

Tanking should not result in a higher pick.

That would solve this problem.

I already posted this in the "Flames & Losing For Higher Draft Order" thread, and Peeps already responded to it there, but this thread is also an appropriate place for it...

619bdee8e336d0a0688539d89724d241.png

• 2 weeks later...

If not for the over obvious tank job Mario would have gone to the Devils (not much consolation to me other then the fact they were that bad legit). Interesting to think how different they would have built their team if they had the 1/1 in Lemieux that they were bad enough to claim.

The Pens would have been moved (@ the time most likely was KC) so another thing to wonder about.

I'm glad they showed Mario shunning the podium & the Pens scout on hands & knees begging. I saw it live on tv then & it fed my disgust further.

NJ took the high road & are @ least a team that earns respect.

No problem for the heads up. I figured it's a must see.

Thanks for putting up the link for those that missed it. They might understand finally that tanking means you have 0 pride no matter how you try to cloak it.

It also bears pointing out that NJ has more finals appearances and I believe cups since then..so the marquee player doesn't necessarily bring you championships.

It also bears pointing out that NJ has more finals appearances and I believe cups since then..so the marquee player doesn't necessarily bring you championships.

Tied in Cups 3-3. New Jersey has one extra final appearance then Pittsburg and Kirk Muller, drafted after Mario, was gone by the time the devils made their first cup final.

Archived