Skills Development Coach

Carty

I came across this article again on personal skills development coach Darryl Belfry that Backlund has been using since last summer...   Colborne has been using him as well...

His client list also includes Kane (Patrick), Tavares, Duchene and Parise...

There are a few other names on the Flames payroll that come to mind that could possibly benefit from enlisting Belfry for supplementary coaching as well...   To me this makes a lot more sense than the head shinker the Flames hired as a Mental Development Coach in the summer of 2010...

The article is from the end of January, but definitely well worth a read...   http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/01/skills-coach-reveals-secret-behind-new--improved-flames-sniper-mikael-backlund

I can definitely see value in hiring a skills coach, especially if the new direction brings us bigger more truculent players. Anything that will help player development is worth the $$$ in my eyes.

Especially if the goal is to consistently get deep into the playoffs. That's where the owners will earn the money to cover such a position. 

I can see the benefit of this guy, however I am not sure that this should be a long term consideration for the Flames. Not sure if this was what you were getting at Carty or not.

Maybe the best route to go would be to send a few of our guys "who need a bit of help" to him and see if he can help.

Firstly, Credit should go to Kulstad for originally posting the article months ago in a different thread...   I happened across it recently while looking for something else and thought it deserved further mention and discussion after I had looked into Belfry's history a bit further...

I can see the benefit of this guy, however I am not sure that this should be a long term consideration for the Flames. Not sure if this was what you were getting at Carty or not.

Maybe the best route to go would be to send a few of our guys "who need a bit of help" to him and see if he can help.

I was considering the improvement that both Backlund and Colborne had shown this season and giving Belfry some of the credit for that progress...   Individual coaching for select players is more along the lines of what I was thinking...   As an example, one name that came to mind that might benefit from working with Belfry was Baertschi...   His availability for anything other than that would also be unknown...   That said, he did sign on with the Kings as as the team's one and only performance analyst in 08, and signed a 2 year extension with them after that...   http://www.forterietimes.ca/2009/11/12/ridgeway-resident-signs-two-year-deal-with-los-angeles-kings

His website Pro Playmakers gives more background and is worth a look...   http://www.proplaymakers.ca/#

Belfry has an impressive resume and a track record of having helped with the development of a number of players, including some on his list of NHL clients that would be considered elite... 

341fa968d1f65aefce4f1c76f3d3c90b.png

I never felt Backlund lacked skill.  As a matter of fact, i don't think the skills part of his game is any better now than it was the first day he was drafted.

What's helped him make the jump to the next level has been his endurance and his stride looks more economically efficient than ever.  The guy is playing 110% every shift.  That to me is just professional conditioning and understanding the amount of discipline it takes to train yourself and physically prepare for the grind of an entire season.

When it comes to shooting, passing, winning faceoffs, deflections, skating with the puck at full speed, etc he's been developing the same as everyone else in the league who doesn't use a skills development coach.

Here is a clip from HNIC back in Feb. that inspired the article in the Sun...

They were just discussing the progress Backlund had made this season and his having benefited from working with Belfry when he got his 1st of 2 goals on the night..   The 2nd was the OT winner...

It's worth a watch...   :)

I think with a lot of these coaches it's about the mental approach and the mindset of the athlete. Did he actually give Backlund a new skill he didn't know before or did he just improve the focus and understanding of a skill Backlund already to allow him to either think differently about his game or to have more confidence in said skill? For me I think what changed in Backlund was all confidence he trusts kn himself and will react as such rather then overthinking everything. I thought he was always slow to react or execute on the ice because he was thinking so much but at times he would just play and that's where te inconsistency came from and you skn see that as much anymore.

Not that I'm against more coaching in fact I'd argue for it. A different perspective IMO can have a huge impact see Sven Baertschi for example too.

I think with a lot of these coaches it's about the mental approach and the mindset of the athlete. Did he actually give Backlund a new skill he didn't know before or did he just improve the focus and understanding of a skill Backlund already to allow him to either think differently about his game or to have more confidence in said skill?

I believe that the bolded is the answer in particular when it can (possibly) become more of a difference maker depending on the potential of a gifted athlete and to what degree they are receptive to listening to the advice...   and then more importantly, as to who is giving it...

For me I think what changed in Backlund was all confidence he trusts kn himself and will react as such rather then overthinking everything. I thought he was always slow to react or execute on the ice because he was thinking so much but at times he would just play and that's where te inconsistency came from and you skn see that as much anymore.

This is exactly one of the benefits to the improvement of Backlund's game that I believe can be attributed to the desire to learn and grow as a player due in good part at least to the external help from Belfry...   While I can not give a direct media quote to support that, I have zero doubt that if you have the chance to ask him in person, that it will be confirmed...

Not that I'm against more coaching in fact I'd argue for it. A different perspective IMO can have a huge impact see Sven Baertschi for example too.

Baertschi is at the top of my list (as I hinted at in an earlier post) of other members of the Flames roster that I believe could possibly benefit from supplemental coaching assistance from Belfry...

I believe that the bolded is the answer in particular when it can (possibly) become more of a difference maker depending on the potential of a gifted athlete and to what degree they are receptive to listening to the advice...   and then more importantly, as to who is giving it...

This is exactly one of the benefits to the improvement of Backlund's game that I believe can be attributed to the desire to learn and grow as a player due in good part at least to the external help from Belfry...   While I can not give a direct media quote to support that, I have zero doubt that if you have the chance to ask him in person, that it will be confirmed...

Baertschi is at the top of my list (as I hinted at in an earlier post) of other members of the Flames roster that I believe could possibly benefit from supplemental coaching assistance from Belfry...

For Sven I was actually referring to the impact Troy ward seemed to have on his game. Not that I don't think he could benefit from this guy either.

• 2 weeks later...

I think with a lot of these coaches it's about the mental approach and the mindset of the athlete. Did he actually give Backlund a new skill he didn't know before or did he just improve the focus and understanding of a skill Backlund already to allow him to either think differently about his game or to have more confidence in said skill? For me I think what changed in Backlund was all confidence he trusts kn himself and will react as such rather then overthinking everything. I thought he was always slow to react or execute on the ice because he was thinking so much but at times he would just play and that's where te inconsistency came from and you skn see that as much anymore.

In backlund's case, he described it at one point being mechanics. So in a sense, not so much mental as best using and improving his natural skills. One example he described was he got him holding the puck just a little longer before passing or shooting, where before as soon as he got the puck he was passing or shooting immediately. Now he finds more guys open, or a lane opens etc.. obviously a side effect of this is his confidence goes ip and it snowballs..but this guys key job is fine tuning the mechanics

I think sven could benefit immensely from this style of direction.if this guy works with the entire kings team, I think that speaks for itself right now

In backlund's case, he described it at one point being mechanics. So in a sense, not so much mental as best using and improving his natural skills. One example he described was he got him holding the puck just a little longer before passing or shooting, where before as soon as he got the puck he was passing or shooting immediately. Now he finds more guys open, or a lane opens etc.. obviously a side effect of this is his confidence goes ip and it snowballs..but this guys key job is fine tuning the mechanics

I think sven could benefit immensely from this style of direction.if this guy works with the entire kings team, I think that speaks for itself right now

Not that I disagree with the premise tags this helped backs but to me this is a good example of what I was saying. Is holding onto the puck a new skill that backlund didn't have? No and when he was in junior he had no issues holding onto the puck. But a new coach and a fresh way of looking at this allowed backlund to have confidence in that element of his game that he had lost. It's splitting hairs I just believe more of what this "skills coaches" do is allow the player to mentally view something in a different light and that in tune changes their confidence.

The Flames hired Troy Crowder to help with skating and strides. He has orthotics and made it a science to use products to use to players body types to force them into a natural stance to maximize strides. Sounds pretty cool. I just heard him on the fan960… Forgive me, I don't know how to make a link to it… 

His take is, "the worse you are, the more you can improve." :) He quoted a 5-10% improvement and can make a 3rd liner to a 2nd liner etc. 

The Flames hired Troy Crowder to help with skating and strides. He has orthotics and made it a science to use products to use to players body types to force them into a natural stance to maximize strides. Sounds pretty cool. I just heard him on the fan960… Forgive me, I don't know how to make a link to it… 

His take is, "the worse you are, the more you can improve." :) He quoted a 5-10% improvement and can make a 3rd liner to a 2nd liner etc. 

Thanks Rob I'll have to check it out myself, it's definitely one of the questions I was having is what everyones thoughts on the Troy Crowder hire, unfortunately I don't know too much about him aside from his developed training products and his announcement as being hired onto our player dev. staff.

I like what I'm hearing so far, hope to see some semi dramatic on-ice effects ^_^

Hiring Troy tells me that management is willing to spend the $$$ to help improve the youth on this team, its proof that they are planning on keeping there word to focus on development and that promise means more then just guiding the kids in the A.

Overall I take it as a good sign that the flames are headed in the right direction.

Archived