Billy Arnold

Thought is was about time to get Bill Arnold his own thread, This guy has had a great year & I for one am very excited we have him signed.

He's a responsible 2-way forward, He's got size, grit & enough speed to play with Jonny hockey and his board work is eceptional so welcome to the Flames Bill!

I agree, I'm as equally excite to see Arnold as Gaudreau.  Arnold has this uncanny ability to exceed expectations of him.  Look at his time in BC, slated to be a 3/4 th crt...Well the hell with that!  Kid ended the season as the undisputed #1 Ctr and one of the nation's to ctrs!

I really think, in time, he could push for the #2 ctr on this team.  It's just the way he is and I have absolutely NO problem with that type of player, he's exactly the type we need to keep drafting.

Starting to get really deep at Ctr, nice problem to have though!

I am not that high on Arnold. I don't know if he has the skating or physical game to be a high end shut down centre at the NHL level. And I think that is the role he will need to fill if he is going to be successful.

That said, I haven't seen all that much of him. He is also coming of a really good season. So I am now writing him off by any means.

I am not that high on Arnold. I don't know if he has the skating or physical game to be a high end shut down centre at the NHL level. And I think that is the role he will need to fill if he is going to be successful.

That said, I haven't seen all that much of him. He is also coming of a really good season. So I am now writing him off by any means.

For me it's the skating and i agree with you. I do like Arnold as a prospect but I don't think his upside is all that high.

For me it's the skating and i agree with you. I do like Arnold as a prospect but I don't think his upside is all that high.

He mentioned in one of his interviews he planned to really focus on his skating this summer, so at least he's aware & is striving to get better. I liked his work in the circle 56% in exceptional for a first time against pro's, also liked that he dug himself into the scrum after the Byron hit, nice to see him defend teammate in his first NHL game instead of shying away & skating back to the bench. I think he'll progress nicely under Ward.

He had a couple of really nice defensive plays the other night in Van were I saw him break up plays coming into our zone, he seems to have a good stick and good body positioning... I think its too soon to project his ceiling as a defensive C but so far I like what I have seen.

We are in a good position right now, a handful of good young centers who understand how to play in all 3 zones, hopefully we can find another Stephan Yelle in the bunch  :wub:

There are definitely things to like. Great shot blocker. Great at face offs. He understands that his ticket to the NHL is in the d-zone so he is focused on that. Hopefully he can put together a good season in Abby next season.

So sad the Heat is moving as I would have loved to see guys like Arnold next year… Oh well. 

• 7 months later...

So Billy has 13 points down in Addy so far, and I noticed he shoots right. Could he be transitioned to be one of the Flames better RW prospects. An area we're admittedly weak in.

It is possible, and if he gets moved from Center I believe it would be to RW. Downside to that is he is showing he is good as a shut-down center with some offensive upside in the AHL. A guy who can consistantly win key faceoffs is not a guy you want moved away from the position to do that.

• 3 weeks later...

He will be an NHL player, he is too good at both ends of the ice to stay in the NHL. He would be a perfect 3rd line center, especially if he's playing with better wingers. 

He's basically doing what Jooris is between Gaudreau and Hudler in Addy between Sven and Poirier. 

• 2 weeks later...

In BT's interview, he talked about a significant injury to Arnold. He didn't mention it specifically, but said he would be out for awhile. I haven't found any mention of it elsewhere.

He separated his shoulder. Expected to miss at least a month but could be more

• 4 months later...

So was thinking about his camp last year, apparantly he came into camp in great shape and obviously he played great in camp. If he has a great camp this coming year what do you think the chances are he transitions to the wing and plays with lets say bennett.

I personally would love to see a line like lucic-bennett-Arnold if we make that trade.

or Hudler-bennett-Arnold could also be a good mix.

I wouldn't rule it out but Arnold is the type of player I'm very reluctant to move to the wing because he is such a natural center. Smart, natural centers with good two way ability, good faceoff ability and a RH shot to boot are not easy to find so I'm not moving him unless I truly have to and I don't think the Flames are there yet.

I also think expecting him to come in and play a top 6 role is asking too much. I expect Arnold to make a push for the team but competing with guys like Shore/Jooris for bottom 6 roles, not top 6 but another season in the AHL is not the worst thing either especially considering he didn't even get a full season last year.

I wouldn't rule it out but Arnold is the type of player I'm very reluctant to move to the wing because he is such a natural center. Smart, natural centers with good two way ability, good faceoff ability and a RH shot to boot are not easy to find so I'm not moving him unless I truly have to and I don't think the Flames are there yet.

I also think expecting him to come in and play a top 6 role is asking too much. I expect Arnold to make a push for the team but competing with guys like Shore/Jooris for bottom 6 roles, not top 6 but another season in the AHL is not the worst thing either especially considering he didn't even get a full season last year.

According to BT, he was eventually getting called up last year, but the injury derailed it.  My own opinion of him is a replacement for Matty.  Doesn't happen overnight, but he was the most reliable shut-down center on the baby Flames last year.  He is mature enough to be able to step into a NHL role right out of camp.  He also has one step up on Matty, as he is built more solid.  If he was top 6 capable, it would be interesting to see him at center with Bennett (LW) and Poirier(RW). 

Well Stajan's contract basically means he is making the team and I think you need STajan there for faceoffs. Long term yes I agree Arnold may replace Stajan but short term I don't think its there yet.

I'd like to see Arnold spend most of the season in the AHL with some call ups once injuries strike. He'd be my go to guy at center especially with the faceoff ability. I'd call him up before I called up Granland personally.

Well Stajan's contract basically means he is making the team and I think you need STajan there for faceoffs. Long term yes I agree Arnold may replace Stajan but short term I don't think its there yet.

I'd like to see Arnold spend most of the season in the AHL with some call ups once injuries strike. He'd be my go to guy at center especially with the faceoff ability. I'd call him up before I called up Granland personally.

That was my intention.  He could make it out of camp, but his waiver status gives BT more flexibility with him than a guy like Shore or a contract like Matty.

I agree with you all completely.

Im just speculating that if he is ready after camp, they move him to bennetts wing. Maybe they use him so that he takes the draws on his strong side and bennett on his strong side, or keep bennett on the wing. It seems to me if bennett is sheltered next year and arnold is with him, along with hudler that could be a really potent line.

Makes no sense to break up Gaudreau - Monahan and Hudler, nor do I think Arnold would fit well with Bennett especially on Bennetts wing. If anything, Arnold should be at center and Bennett on his wing but I definitely don't see ARnold as an effective top 6 winger in the NHL. That doesn't suit his game at all.

Archived