Billy Arnold

Makes no sense to break up Gaudreau - Monahan and Hudler, nor do I think Arnold would fit well with Bennett especially on Bennetts wing. If anything, Arnold should be at center and Bennett on his wing but I definitely don't see ARnold as an effective top 6 winger in the NHL. That doesn't suit his game at all.

Well, Johnny was supposed to be the real driving force of the "best line in the NCAA".  We have seen Hayes jump into the NHL with reasonably good numbers for a rookie playing mostly 2nd or 3rd line minutes.  Hayes was the guy who benefited the most from playing with Johnny.  Arnold was a decent player even without these two guys.  When they united, they were unstoppable.  

I am giving Arnold the benefit of the doubt right now to say he is 3rd line capable, since I think at minimum he could be a top 4th liner.  I think he has more upside than that.  

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think theirs anyone I'm more excited to see this year, I'm hoping he can take a big step down in the A and be a prominent leader with the affiliate club. I have high hopes for Arnold and can see him being a strong role player one day in Calgary, he has all the tools to be the perfect two way center, the kind that grinds game out and wears on the other teams while contributing on both ends of the ice. 

I think if he can have another strong season, show he can be a dominant player in the AHL, by the 2016/2017 campaign he will find himself on the opening night roster.

That is great. Because while he may not be a high end flashy player, Billy Arnold is the kind of player you can build your bottom 6 around (as he has just enough of a scoring touch to provide a threat, is very good defensively, and battles in the corners)

Archived