Flames & Losing For Higher Draft Order.

DirtyDeeds

Higher Draft picks worth losing?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to lose for the sake of a higher draft pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided or don't care.
    • It is not as simple as yes or no.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear.  Let's see what they come up with.  Buffalo is trying to walk off with McDavid in the plain sight of day and for the sake of the league's competitive integrity, they can't let that happen. 

This is great news, but just because you finish last doesn't mean you win 1st overall. I think Buffalo found that out already.

Not only should the worst team have to win the #1 pick in a lottery but they should not limit how far back they could drop. 

Couldn't agree more. I think that is pretty fair to the teams that try to win but can't, compared to the teams that just suck and look at it as a plus because they ll be rewarded with that 1st or 2nd overall.

The change for 2015 would only be changing the odds teams have and making them more "flat" or even amongst the teams. The idea of making more spots available via the lottery won't come until 2016.

I'm fine with that and like the idea of grouping team in say group of 5 and thine drawing via lottery for every pick. Means you can fall back more then 5 spots but also doesn't guarantee you a top 1 or 2 spot either. I'll never be in favor of opening up the lottery completely because I believe that the draft and high picks in the draft are a parity tool but I think removing a guarantee of a top 2 pick is a fair compromise.

Look at yesterday's draft for a prime example that you don't need to be the last team in the league to get rewarded richly.  Bennett is easily the steal of the draft. 

The best part is that the crest of the Flaming C remained out of the limelight as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd OA guys were paraded around and thrown into the media storm, being plastered everywhere as the top 3 picks are every draft. By doing so, it shows the world that Florida, Buffalo, and Edmonton were the worst of the worst.  Calgary's 1st entry into the bottom 4 ever in their history shows how resilient they are as a franchise.  There's pride to be had in there somewhere. (yes Peeps, even you can be proud of that fact ;))

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next year is going to be a disgusting 3 ring circus.  You'll have two separate battles playing out in the standings, dividing them right down the middle.  On one side, you'll have the heavy hitters going for the elusive prized Silver Cup.  At the other end you're going to see roughly 7-10 teams trying to leapfrog eachother at a chance for one of the top 3 studs in McDavid, Eichel, and Hanifin.

The change for 2015 would only be changing the odds teams have and making them more "flat" or even amongst the teams. The idea of making more spots available via the lottery won't come until 2016.

I'm fine with that and like the idea of grouping team in say group of 5 and thine drawing via lottery for every pick. Means you can fall back more then 5 spots but also doesn't guarantee you a top 1 or 2 spot either. I'll never be in favor of opening up the lottery completely because I believe that the draft and high picks in the draft are a parity tool but I think removing a guarantee of a top 2 pick is a fair compromise.

I agree with you cross… I think it would make the lottery a lot better when televised too. 

Machine 1. The 2 teams eliminated in the Conference Finals… Although, they could just have who ever remained in the playoffs longest pick last between the two teams.

Machine 2. The 4 teams eliminated in the 2nd Round

Machine 3. The 8 teams eliminated in the 1st Round

Teams out of the Playoffs:

Machine 4. 11-14

Machine 5. 6-10

Machine 6. 1-5

I think this would make for a very exciting draft lottery and they don't have to weigh the balls at all. It gives everyone within those place in the standings a similar chance at winning each group lottery.

Or else they could make two machines do the teams that are 1-7 and then 8-14… The very last place could still draft as low as 7. 

Although that's still not fair to teams who draft at 8 because they have no chance at rising in the lottery and winning, other than within their own grouping.

I think teams have to be only able to drop so far because it brings parity… So I say, have a full out lottery. If a team outright wins it, they can move up 5 spots no matter if they won the cup, and so on, then the very last team in the standings can draft 5th overall at worst, and no team can drop more than 5 spots. But a 2nd place can still drop down to 6 or 7. 

In essence, each team who can move up 5 spots wins their own little lottery. At worst the last place team drops 5 spots. 

I just feel they can't allow the worst teams to drop too far because they need stars to attract fans. THe likelihood of attracting fans if they're not drafting stars is slim for the losing teams. 

Let's say, if LA won the Lottery which would be held after the Stanley Cup, they would win and move up to 26th overall, and be slotted there. 

Then say Toronto's ball came 2nd, they move from 8th where they were slotted in the standings up to 3rd and are put there. 

Chicago's ball comes next, they move up their 5 spots, but since LA nabbed it , they automatically slot in the 27th Overall spot. 

Then lets say Dallas comes out next, they move from 14 to 9. 

Then the Isles, they move from 5th to 1st.

Etc Etc… I dunno if it would work, but I think it would be neat… 

I cheered for every lose we had down the stretch, and my shiny prize was bennett, the guy I wanted in the first place, and It didnt take the 1/1 pick.

This is a rebuild, if you have illusions of the play-offs anytime soon, I sincerely feel sorry for you all.

Expect us in the exact same position as this year.

I fully expect us to be improved, not playoff improved, but picking in the 9-12 range. you got Buffalo who will be starting their ECHL affiliate if they can get away with it. Its going to be embarrassing in many ways unless they solve the lottery riddle soon.

We wont be in that mix.. i'm still not convinced Colorado didn't tank the Mackinnon draft . You will see some very good teams have very bad years. personally i don't think its with it, I'd rather stay the course, if we finish bottom 4 again then so be it, but i dont see it happening.

like i said before, this should have been our worst year and yet 3 teams still sucked more than us

I fully expect us to be improved, not playoff improved, but picking in the 9-12 range. you got Buffalo who will be starting their ECHL affiliate if they can get away with it. Its going to be embarrassing in many ways unless they solve the lottery riddle soon.

We wont be in that mix.. i'm still not convinced Colorado didn't tank the Mackinnon draft . You will see some very good teams have very bad years. personally i don't think its with it, I'd rather stay the course, if we finish bottom 4 again then so be it, but i dont see it happening.

like i said before, this should have been our worst year and yet 3 teams still sucked more than us

A lot of that falls on the coaching staff.  They finally got this team playing as.....well a team.  Unlike the past few years we didn't see floaters, everyone was engaged and it brought exciting hockey back to Calgary.  I think it's fair to say that we will be picking anywhere between 9-12.  The Flames have some exciting players coming into the fold and play the brand of hockey the Flames are establishing as an identity.  If we can add a few more pieces to the puzzle during FA then I could even see us dropping to 15-20 on the draft pick list.  I still believe this is going to be an expedited rebuild.  As much as Treliving and Burke say patience is needed I think both of them are expecting results sooner rather than later.  If the moves are there to make I think you will see the trigger pulled.

Not that we haven't stopped building next year's team as we have a bunch of holes to fill, we will improve; depending on who we get in trades and signings. 

As of now, we look like we're going to be bottom 3 and I would argue more like 2nd last. We'll see especially since we don't know what injuries are going to look like, who gets injured and so on…

Yes three teams sucked more than us. Edmonton should be better this year. The Islanders lost Tavares and dropped to nearly surpassing us towards bottom. Buffalo, is the only team I see who is worse than us. Florida, wants the playoffs and demand it this year.

What have the other teams who are out of the playoffs done to either get worse or better? We've done nothing so far to get better other than adding Bollig. So we got tougher and a tad more skilled on the 4th line. 

And yes, patience. 

When Russell and Giordano went out, we suffered a lot. So our key last year was on D. 

I cheered for every lose we had down the stretch, and my shiny prize was bennett, the guy I wanted in the first place, and It didnt take the 1/1 pick.

This is a rebuild, if you have illusions of the play-offs anytime soon, I sincerely feel sorry for you all.

So cheering for us to end up dead last and getting 1st overall pick was fruitless, because we ended up with the best player anyway... okay I got that figured out ...... 

So cheering for us to end up dead last and getting 1st overall pick was fruitless, because we ended up with the best player anyway... okay I got that figured out ...... 

I never wanted 1st overall, I want us in the 1-4 range instead of 5-10 range.

Shocker I know, but that let us pick who we wanted.

That's a real head scratchier isn't it Deeds?....   :lol:

I couldn't help but notice Lucid's misplaced sympathy as well...   There are far more Flames fans that have sympathy for those that are cheering for the team to lose...   Because they seem to be missing the point of why the games are played in the first place...   :)

There are a number of us that have no misconceptions of the Flames being a contender in the near future, but also take pride in the fact that the Flames will never be a team that intentionally tanks...   Anyone who thinks that the Flames would tank with Burke at the helm, Treliving as GM, and Hartley as coach are the ones guilty of having misconceptions...

I never wanted 1st overall, I want us in the 1-4 range instead of 5-10 range.

Shocker I know, but that let us pick who we wanted.

So when we reached 4th overall drafting position did you stop cheering for losses ?

and if so how did you know that Bennett would drop to 4th pick for us?

Personally I had given up hope of getting Bennett and he was my second choice after Ekblad who I had also given up hope on being able to draft.

Moral of this years story is for me I didn't stop cheering for my team after we were out of the playoffs and we still got my choice of forwards too.

Do I have to question my fandom with the identical end results?

One more win and it would've been MDC.  What a big difference.  So happy the Flames were afforded the luxury to pick 4th.

One more win and it would've been MDC.  What a big difference.  So happy the Flames were afforded the luxury to pick 4th.

Maybe MDC will be the next Luc Robitaille and Bennett will be the next Pavel Brendl? Nobody knows for sure, that's why you play to win at all times.

The Flames played to win.  As a result there is a positive vibe around the team.  We have set the foundation for a culture of never die work ethic. Backlund and Brodie took major strides forward in the right type of culture.  We found a captain in Giordano (who also had a career year).  We found a rookie in Monahan that set goal scoring records.  We found a goalie in Ramo.  And we still picked perhaps the top prospect in the draft.  

Flip over to Edmonton.  Despite their superior roster of top picks they finished behind us in the standings.  RNH, Eberle, Schultz, and Yakupov were all underwhelming.  They were forced to trade one of their former top picks for little return.  The fans are throwing Jersey's on the ice.  

A winning culture doesn't come from winning.  It comes from trying.  It comes from effort.  It comes from not giving up.  The best way for this team to develop is by going for it every game.  Stop cheering for losses.  Enjoy the sport.  The draft order will work itself out.  

A winning culture doesn't come from winning.  It comes from trying.  It comes from effort.  It comes from not giving up.  The best way for this team to develop is by going for it every game.  Stop cheering for losses.  Enjoy the sport.  The draft order will work itself out.  

Never agreed more.

Winning culture doesn't come from winning... which by logic that means a losing culture doesn't come from losing.  Think about it bro.   We all want a winning culture.  The fact we were 4th last and had winning culture means it's entirely possible to lose and have winning culture.  Cheering for loses doesn't mean cheering for a losing culture when they can be mutually exclusive events as you have put it.

Never agreed more.

Winning culture doesn't come from winning... which by logic that means a losing culture doesn't come from losing. Think about it bro. We all want a winning culture. The fact we were 4th last and had winning culture means it's entirely possible to lose and have winning culture. Cheering for loses doesn't mean cheering for a losing culture when they can be mutually exclusive events as you have put it.

We get it. But your logic if cheering for effort but losses doesn't make sense to anyone. "LET'S TRYYY REALLY HARD AND LOSE BY A GO-AL" doesn't really have the makings of a great Dome chant.

It's semantics. You are cheering for your team to lose. Worse, your trying to convince Flames fans to do the same. And your doing it on the back of a season where there is proof is wasn't necessary.

Sport is simple. Cheer for your team and enjoy when they play well. Otherwise what's the point?

Archived