New Arena "video Leak"

Kulstad

There's been a lot of conjecture and rumour about the Flames new arena, ever since a video about new stadium engineering was shown on Daily Planet yesterday.

The architectural firm Populous was highlighted on the Discovery Network show yesterday for their innovative "movable arena ceiling" ideas.  The video they showed prominently displayed the Flames logo and colours (and used Flames highlights on the Jumbotron).  The local media is running with this story, and Ken King seems to down-playing the entire thing.

Global TV: http://globalnews.ca/news/1118491/rumour-mill-is-calgary-getting-a-new-arena/

CTV News: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video-doesn-t-mean-anything-about-new-stadium-for-flames-1.1662902

Metro newspaper: http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/926549/calgary-flames-ken-king-confirms-populous-pitched-folding-roof-arena-concept/

The concept is kind of cool ("ceilings and partitions to suit the performance"), but I'm on KK's side...I believe this is one of the firms the Flames have talked with, but don't believe it is the final design choice for the team.  However, there is enough non-information and denial to the story to make a conspiracy theorist drool.

What do you folks think?

I just want the new building to get going here. What's taking so long? Let's get this show on the road, the Dome is way past it's best before date. I might even come back as a season ticket holder if the building was more comfortable. I'm not paying $300 6 or 7 times a month to sit in the Dome anymore. Poor concessions, uncomfortable seats, long lines at the bathrooms.

I've been to games down south in newer buildings and it's a much more enjoyable experience. It's time for paying fans here to have a similar quality experience.

I hope I get to watch at least one game in the Dome before this happens. Just for the chance to say I did.

Like Geo though, I agree it's time to build a new one.

Maybe King wants to see the Oiler's new digs before he commits to a design?

The whole moveable ceiling thing is pretty cool though.

I just want the new building to get going here. What's taking so long? Let's get this show on the road, the Dome is way past it's best before date. I might even come back as a season ticket holder if the building was more comfortable. I'm not paying $300 6 or 7 times a month to sit in the Dome anymore. Poor concessions, uncomfortable seats, long lines at the bathrooms.

I've been to games down south in newer buildings and it's a much more enjoyable experience. It's time for paying fans here to have a similar quality experience.

I wonder how much effect the flooding and restoration of the Dome had to do with the timeline of the plans of a new arena. When the Oilers were busy with negotiations on their arena we were told we were along similar timelines just taking different paths while at the same time watching what the Oilers were doing with theirs. Well the Oilers are done and need only to build.....

Ours seems set back or farther behind than we were lead to believe.

The only other thing I am wondering about is the rumor floating around a while ago about a combined facility that could accommodate both football (Stamps) and the Hockey (Flames) This video shows a facility that can transform for Music groups and stuff,  but it did not look like it could handle a football game or field.

In the end this presentation above gives us an idea what the Flames are thinking about "for needs and end use" because it was a submission to the Flames on what they have envisioned.

I wonder how much effect the flooding and restoration of the Dome had to do with the timeline of the plans of a new arena. When the Oilers were busy with negotiations on their arena we were told we were along similar timelines just taking different paths while at the same time watching what the Oilers were doing with theirs. Well the Oilers are done and need only to build.....

Ours seems set back or farther behind than we were lead to believe.

The only other thing I am wondering about is the rumor floating around a while ago about a combined facility that could accommodate both football (Stamps) and the Hockey (Flames) This video shows a facility that can transform for Music groups and stuff,  but it did not look like it could handle a football game or field.

In the end this presentation above gives us an idea what the Flames are thinking about "for needs and end use" because it was a submission to the Flames on what they have envisioned.

I heard the same rumor about the combined stadium for the stamps and flames, it makes sense considering the stamps are in need of a better field, and both teams are basically owned by the same people. Would be one hell of a stadium if it was made like that, the flames would probably be able to host outdoor games that much easier, I would love to see one of those around here.

I hope I get to watch at least one game in the Dome before this happens. Just for the chance to say I did.

Like Geo though, I agree it's time to build a new one.

Maybe King wants to see the Oiler's new digs before he commits to a design?

The whole moveable ceiling thing is pretty cool though.

I think it's time too, from what i've heard, like sheriforpm i would like to go to just one game before that happens just so i can say i have too. heck i'd just love to go to any flames game :) 

• 2 weeks later...

How is the dome this year? Were there any lingering affects from the flood? Any problems with mold?

Sounds like you've had a bad experience with using one of the few and far between washrooms in the building before...   Not much has changed there...

Was it too soon?...   :ph34r:

Archived