Leafs Sign Kessel To Extension

s4xon

Waiting patiently now for the next strike/lockout. :rolleyes:

The owners continue the insanity........

While I don't disagree with the $8M/yr for a player of Kessel's talent, the contract lengths have to go.

Perhaps one of these days the Flames will have a player worthy of that kind of coin. B)

Come on rookies...show your stuff!

I want an player deserving of $8M/yr on our team

Damn... I was looking forward to the chaos in Leafs nation as the season rolled along.

Thought he would of got more on the open market. ah well.

Good on Nonis to get him locked up. Finally a player signing a 8 yr contract at an age where it isn't pure stupidity and bs.

Turning just 26 tomorrow. Still upswinging into a complete player, and as dangerous a sniper as there is in this league.

I guess he is just fine dealing with that market after all. 

4a2729fb36f08d257f2957ca8e82d6fb.png

Wow, that's $0.7 mil less than Crosby.  RNH and Hall are looking like a steal at this moment at $6 mil. 

I only hope the Sedins come with their palms open and Gillis gives them 6-7 years at 8 mil each.

I think that he deserve the cash. The guy is a great hockey player, and came back from cancer. He only has one ball and he can put up 30 goals per season. Great palyer

He is a great offensive weapon who has just hit his prime.  The Leafs have committed to him as the cornerstone going forward.  But to me this isn't the kind of player you build a team around.  He's largely a one-dimensional player, which is fine if there is another guy on the team to carry the torch. 

It was a tough position for the Leafs to be in.  He would have probably gotten the same deal or more on the open market.  And the cap will likely be going up over the course of his contract, making it a little more tolerable.  I just don't think that having Kessel as your primetime star on offense is the key to winning the Cup.  Boston clearly knew what they were doing when they shipped him to Toronto.

He is a great offensive weapon who has just hit his prime.  The Leafs have committed to him as the cornerstone going forward.  But to me this isn't the kind of player you build a team around.  He's largely a one-dimensional player, which is fine if there is another guy on the team to carry the torch. 

It was a tough position for the Leafs to be in.  He would have probably gotten the same deal or more on the open market.  And the cap will likely be going up over the course of his contract, making it a little more tolerable.  I just don't think that having Kessel as your primetime star on offense is the key to winning the Cup.  Boston clearly knew what they were doing when they shipped him to Toronto.

No they didn't they got nothing for him in return. They traded seguin. so it was Phil for Hamilton 

Okay then.  If we want to go down that rabbit-hole: Who'd they get for Seguin?

Kessel was traded for 2010 1st rounder (Seguin), 2010 2nd rounder (Knight), 2011 1st rounder (Hamilton).

Seguin was traded, along with Peverly and Ryan Button for Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser.

So, the trade looks like:

Kessel, Peverly and Button for Knight, Hamilton, Eriksson, Morrow, Smith and Fraser.

I think the Bruins did just fine in the end.

Oh yeah, one other thing.  The Bruins also won the Stanley Cup after trading Kessel.  I repeat: they knew what they were doing.

Kessel was traded for 2010 1st rounder (Seguin), 2010 2nd rounder (Knight), 2011 1st rounder (Hamilton).

Seguin was traded, along with Peverly and Ryan Button for Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser.

Kessel, Peverly and Button for Knight, Hamilton, Eriksson, Morrow, Smith and Fraser.

Oh yeah, one other thing.  The Bruins also won the Stanley Cup after trading Kessel.  I repeat: they knew what they were doing.

Thanks for posting this.  I started typing it out last night, but felt like like it was too obvious to bother. 

ouch..... i just got told 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGXh0qokkRs

Kessel is still the best player in the deal six years later. If Burke shopped our next two first rounders for a young guy that scored 30G and 60P for the next decade, I'd be all in. Good trade, good contract renewal.

Even if that was Mcdavid and Ekband? I wouldnt. The Bruins won that trade. Kessel is not a player you build your offense around. The results will be no different then when the Flames built around Iginla. 

Kessel is still the best player in the deal six years later. If Burke shopped our next two first rounders for a young guy that scored 30G and 60P for the next decade, I'd be all in. Good trade, good contract renewal.

Yup... (6yrs? already? wow).. 6 yrs later the Bruins still haven't 'won' that trade in terms of actual performance. They have been anointed winners of that trade the past 5 yrs based on potential. That potential has still NOT been realized.

Even if that was Mcdavid and Ekband? I wouldnt. The Bruins won that trade. Kessel is not a player you build your offense around. The results will be no different then when the Flames built around Iginla. 

Actually, Kessel's team nearly beat the Bruins last year. And I can tell you Seguin/Hamilton were not real factors in the Bruin's playoff run. So yes, the Leafs still won that trade. Easily. 

The Leafs are 100% built around Kessel. Seguin flunked out of Boston and Hamilton hasn't done anything at the NHL level, yet.

After 6 years, you need to start calling the trade what it is. 

I agree you don't build around Kessel but I also don't think you let I him walk and for as much flak as he takes there is no disputing that kessel is an elite forward in the NHL and you have to keep those guys and pay themtdo do so. I think this is a market value contract that the leafs needed to do because have fun replacing a top end consistent producer like Kessel in any lineup.

In terms of the trades I don't think there is a winner as both teams got what they wanted and I think both teams did well. Segin and Hamilton IMO would not put Toronto any further ahead then where they are right now and the bruins needed to move Kessler for cheaper auxiliary parts. Both teams came out as winners as it's a deal where both teams are and should be happy. Not every deal has to have a winner and loser.

Actually, Kessel's team nearly beat the Bruins last year. And I can tell you Seguin/Hamilton were not real factors in the Bruin's playoff run. So yes, the Leafs still won that trade. Easily. 

The Leafs are 100% built around Kessel. Seguin flunked out of Boston and Hamilton hasn't done anything at the NHL level, yet.

After 6 years, you need to start calling the trade what it is. 

Awesome, I didnt know that nearly beating a team is the same as beating them. Lets all go down to 17av and celebrate the 2004 cup victory! Ill call the trade what it is, the Bruins win it. Case and point is a SC win and another trip to the finals, against 1 playoff appearance for the Leafs. You are comparing two 21 year olds and a 20 year old to Kessel, of course he will be better now. Lets wait until Seguin has had a few full seasons in the NHL and Hamilton has played more then a hanful of games. The Kessel trade made the Bruins achieve the ultimate goal, while the Leafs are a 2004 Flames team if that. They have no first line center and will be unlikely to get one. Their offense is built around a guy who cannot carry them to a cup. The Bruins were better after the trade and are much better still. The Leafs got a great player, dont get me wrong, but he isnt worth a potential top line center and top pairing defenseman.

Awesome, I didnt know that nearly beating a team is the same as beating them. Lets all go down to 17av and celebrate the 2004 cup victory! Ill call the trade what it is, the Bruins win it. Case and point is a SC win and another trip to the finals, against 1 playoff appearance for the Leafs. You are comparing two 21 year olds and a 20 year old to Kessel, of course he will be better now. Lets wait until Seguin has had a few full seasons in the NHL and Hamilton has played more then a hanful of games. The Kessel trade made the Bruins achieve the ultimate goal, while the Leafs are a 2004 Flames team if that. They have no first line center and will be unlikely to get one. Their offense is built around a guy who cannot carry them to a cup. The Bruins were better after the trade and are much better still. The Leafs got a great player, dont get me wrong, but he isnt worth a potential top line center and top pairing defenseman.

The bolded says it all.

They might win the trade.... Eventually... If....

This Stanley Cup win business.... What if they would of won the cup in the sweep With Kessel? What ifmLuongo was unable to shutnout Boston twice ifnthey had Kessel? See how that is an invalid argument now? Or no.

Basically, the people who are say " they won the cup so they obviously have no regrets/won the trade" = there is no justification of them winning the trade without mentioning the cup... Which actually really = they actually haven't won the trade, since they can't justify a trade win on the merit of the assets exchanged alone.

That's an interesting way of looking at it.  It could be argued that Seguin didn't do much to help the Bruins win the Cup.  But then it could also be argued that perhaps having Kessel there would have changed the dynamic of the team and they wouldn't have won the Cup.  Either way they won with the players that were on the team.

We could do a head to head comparison of Kessel and Seguin just for kicks.

As an 18 year old Seguin played in 74 games, getting 11G, 11A. 

In his second season 81 games, 29 G, 38A. 

Last year 48 games, 16G, 16A. 

Total for his first 203 games: 56G, 65A, 121 points.

Now Kessel:

First of all he didn't play in the NHL until he was 19.  But regardless, his first 3 seasons look like...

70 games, 11 goals, 18A

82 games, 19 G, 18A

70 games, 36G, 24A

Total for his first 222 games, 66G, 60A, 126 points.

So, very similar point totals despite Seguin being younger at the same stage of their careers and playing center (more defensive responsibility.  If anything, Seguin is a more valuable player as a young, exceptional center than Kessel is as a very talented winger.  So on the merit of only Kessel and Seguin alone it could be considered an even deal.  But of course, there were also other pieces involved in the deal that clearly swings the trade in the favour of Boston (IMO).  Winning the Cup after the trade is the cherry on top.

So on the merit of only Kessel and Seguin alone it could be considered an even deal. But of course, there were also other pieces involved in the deal that clearly swings the trade in the favour of Boston (IMO). Winning the Cup after the trade is the cherry on top.

Of course its an even deal... IF YOU ASSUME Seguin will match Kessel's following FIVE 30 goal seasons with similar effectiveness over his next 5 seasons. OR if you simply choose to ignore the 5 seasons in Toronto and just go off the intial 200 gms.

You are ASSUMING Seguin will match the production or effectiveness Kessel has/had since the trade - making the 2 guys virtually equal.... so you are still talking about potential here.

Since the trade has occurred:

Tor has 5 30 goal seasons from a developed and now star player Kessel.

Bos got 3 green seasons of Tyler Seguin, and 43 gms from a green prospect in Hamilton.

All I'm saying is it's clear to me which franchise has benefited from their assets so far. And it isn't Boston.

I do agree Seguin has the potential to be the far better player than Kessel, and for Hamilton to become an impact franchise Dman. But at the end of the day they aren't yet.

And Zira.. we'll just agree to disagree. You think the Bruins have already clearly won the trade.. and I still see that FIVE yrs later the assets Bos got in return have yet NOT matched what Toronto has received at all. Ah well..

It's a funny thing tho.. Chirali's asset management here...

- He gets 3 green seasons of Kessel and then trades him allowing Toronto to really benefit from the asset blossoming into a star player.

- He gets 3 green seasons out of Seguin and trades him at the same stage of his career... With Dallas the potential beneficiary this time.

Oh but he's got his Cup tho, so all's good.

Archived