Leafs Sign Kessel To Extension

s4xon

So if Seguin didn't help the Bruins & Kessel would have given them a different dynamic does that mean the Canucks would have won their 1st Stanley Cup?

:lol:

Isn't it obvious? If the Bruins had Kessel in 2011, the Canucks likely wouldn't even had made the final.

Yes, Kessel is the better player right now but does that mean he has a higher value than Seguin.  We could do the same comparison with say Mohanan and Stajan.  Stajan is the better player right now but there is no question that Mohanan has more potential and value as a player for a franchise.  It's impossible to not factor in potential when discussing young players.  If this didn't happen in the NHL 1st round draft picks wouldn't be highly valued and traded for at the deadline.  A players ceiling and floor is always taken into account when making a trade.  Also, where they fit on the team is taken into account.  It's not simply what are they today.

In terms of assumptions, I didn't assume that Seguin would continue on his current progression.  I did an apples-to-apples comparison of their first three years in the league, which both happened to be on the Bruins.  Except the apples-to-apples comparison works more in Seguin's favour because he plays a more valuable position on the ice and one that generally has lower scoring numbers compared to wingers.

I'm not sure how you can say that Boston didn't benefit from their asset.  The purpose of teams playing in the NHL isn't to collect the best players and collect the stats at the end of the season.  The whole point is to win the Cup.  So Boston accomplished what they wanted.  Toronto hasn't so far but they are starting to trend in the right direction, although they're still a long way off.

Anyways, I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Actually, Kessel's team nearly beat the Bruins last year. And I can tell you Seguin/Hamilton were not real factors in the Bruin's playoff run. So yes, the Leafs still won that trade. Easily. 

The Leafs are 100% built around Kessel. Seguin flunked out of Boston and Hamilton hasn't done anything at the NHL level, yet.

After 6 years, you need to start calling the trade what it is. 

lol They would have beaten the Bruins but our dion ruined them twice. Once in ot. and the other in not clearing chara from the front of the net.

Pierre McGuire "it's a double dion!!!

Archived