Young Guns Tournament Roster

Whats to worry, players get bigger each year.

We have our own big intimidating guy and he is only 18:

4d90541a3c8b2b57f308bf2ae786b9ff.png

Pretty sure KK was who Feaster was talking about when he said he opened up some eyes at the testing with only 7% body fat rating.

He'll definitely be turning some heads, or knocking some off.  But he's actually a decent defenseman too.  Most people don't focus on that. 

^ well to be honest, Sutter went for the "huge" in drafting choices and that mentality landed the Flames with one of the worst prospect pools in the league.  I'm not saying all huge players are a bust, but being huge isn't a defining factor on the success of a team.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting that bigger is necessarily better or that their size will have any direct correlation on future NHL success.  Rather, just pointing out that the lineups in this tournament are going to be big and the tournament may end up being physical.  Hopefully, it doesn't result in any serious injuries.  Also, I hope Kanzig concentrates on playing defense and showing everyone his skiill level rather than gooning it up.  If he's protecting a teammate, fine, just don't run around and head hunt.

My line combos given the confirmed players attending:

FORWARD

Baertschi-Monahan-Poirier

Klimchuk-Knight-Granlund

Ferland-Reinhart-Hanowski

Elson-Jooris-Penner

Gordon, Howse

• This is a really strong forward roster, especially at top 6.  In prior seasons Ferland-Reinhart-Hanowski could have been the Flames top line.  This is even more impressive given that Jankowski, Gaudreau, Arnold, Agostino, etc are ineligible due to their NCAA commitments.  
  • The top line is pretty self explanatory.  Though Ward may choose to mix skill with grit and put someone like Hanowski on the top line.  
  • I put Granlund on the wing.  The other C are better defensively, play with more grit, and are strong on the face offs.  Plus Granlund played wing last season.  I think they will move him to C, but this season he fits better on wing. 
  • I really like this third line.  Good gritty smart line with the ability to add offense.  I hope Ferland has a strong season and is able to elevate himself past being a project. 
  • Gordon and Howse will slot in at some point, but to start they don't fit into the top 9.  

DEFENSE

Wotherspoon-Sieloff

Culkin-Kanzig

Kulak-Ramage

Roy, Davies

• The defensive lines are hard to figure, but this is my take.  The Flames are talking about Sieloff possibly making the NHL this season and Wotherspoon is our best defensive D so the two of them on the top pairing makes sense.  
  • They are also talking about giving Culkin a two way deal if he plays well this tournament.  That puts him as the number 3.  They will want his partner to be physical.  That means Ramage or Kanzig.  I would put Ramage there, but the Flames are high on Kanzig so I think he is in the top 4.
  • The Flames will want to see how Kulak does when not on a terrible team.  I think he plays most games.  Ramage or Kanzig make the most sense as his physical D partner. 
  • Roy and Davies fit less well then the other players, but they will slot in at some point.  

GOALIE

Brossoit

Ortio

• Not much to say here.  They will probably split time.  This might be the most important battle of the tournament though as we have three goalies fighting for two spots in Abby (probably).  

I was perusing the lineups of some of the other teams and damn are they ever huge.  Both the Oilers and Jets Canucks prospects are massive and the Sharks are also quite big.

I hope that they come to play hockey but I'm sure there will be a few tough guys (Kanzig and Ferland likely included) that will try to make their respective clubs take notice. 

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680612

Joey Leach   D 6' 4" 200

Just curious is this the same Joey Leach we let walk after drafting him ?

I agree it should be a Physical.

The Flames haven't come into the tournament with this kinda skill level ever.. Should be exciting to watch!

Just curious is this the same Joey Leach we let walk after drafting him ?

I agree it should be a Physical.

The Flames haven't come into the tournament with this kinda skill level ever.. Should be exciting to watch!

Looks like it.  He played a game with the Oiler's affiliate club last season.  

My line combos given the confirmed players attending:

FORWARD

Baertschi-Monahan-Poirier

Klimchuk-Knight-Granlund

Ferland-Reinhart-Hanowski

Elson-Jooris-Penner

Gordon, Howse

• This is a really strong forward roster, especially at top 6.  In prior seasons Ferland-Reinhart-Hanowski could have been the Flames top line.  This is even more impressive given that Jankowski, Gaudreau, Arnold, Agostino, etc are ineligible due to their NCAA commitments.  
  • The top line is pretty self explanatory.  Though Ward may choose to mix skill with grit and put someone like Hanowski on the top line.  
  • I put Granlund on the wing.  The other C are better defensively, play with more grit, and are strong on the face offs.  Plus Granlund played wing last season.  I think they will move him to C, but this season he fits better on wing. 
  • I really like this third line.  Good gritty smart line with the ability to add offense.  I hope Ferland has a strong season and is able to elevate himself past being a project. 
  • Gordon and Howse will slot in at some point, but to start they don't fit into the top 9.  

DEFENSE

Wotherspoon-Sieloff

Culkin-Kanzig

Kulak-Ramage

Roy, Davies

• The defensive lines are hard to figure, but this is my take.  The Flames are talking about Sieloff possibly making the NHL this season and Wotherspoon is our best defensive D so the two of them on the top pairing makes sense.  
  • They are also talking about giving Culkin a two way deal if he plays well this tournament.  That puts him as the number 3.  They will want his partner to be physical.  That means Ramage or Kanzig.  I would put Ramage there, but the Flames are high on Kanzig so I think he is in the top 4.
  • The Flames will want to see how Kulak does when not on a terrible team.  I think he plays most games.  Ramage or Kanzig make the most sense as his physical D partner. 
  • Roy and Davies fit less well then the other players, but they will slot in at some point.  

GOALIE

Brossoit

Ortio

• Not much to say here.  They will probably split time.  This might be the most important battle of the tournament though as we have three goalies fighting for two spots in Abby (probably).  

Those lines look great Kehatch.  Going through them, they look anatomically correct with where everyone's strengths lie and where I personally would slot them individually.   Also with their weaknesses, where those around them could pick up the slack.

On paper the Flames are going to wipe this tournament clean.

• 2 weeks later...

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681473

Morgan Klimchuk and Ryan Howse won't be attending the Young Guns Tournament.

Klimchuk was injured during a WHL pre-season game and Howse has been suspended for failing to report. Dylan Smoskowitz and Andy Taranto have been added to the Young Guns roster.

I am a little concerned about the whole Howse failing to report situation. This would have been his last shot to prove that he is a pro hockey player, maybe he just didn't want that pressure. Some people can't handle the pressure that comes with being a professional hockey player, Howse never seemed to be willing to put in the necessary amount of work that is required. 

I am a little concerned about the whole Howse failing to report situation.

I think a lot of us had high hopes for Howse for a while...   During his last 2 seasons in Chilliwack he was showing a lot of promise...

5d64feca2bac7af71e94cd0f2574e92c.png

d4e25c5917bdb83cdad396400d1ff1a0.png

But not so much after he left the Dub

5d64feca2bac7af71e94cd0f2574e92c.png

ab73d2f9faaf8fd975ed035891cc3c1f.png

The first red flag for me was when he showed up at pro camp completely overweight and out of shape a couple of seasons ago...   This is the last season of his ELC and failing to report is a huge mistake for Howse...   Granted that his chances of ever at making the Flames are slim, but this is quite possibly the last shot for Howse to hope to ever make the NHL and he would still have to flip a lot of burgers to make the same $67.5K that he would make under contract...   Because he was showing talent for a long enough period of time, now it seems to me that perhaps his heart  just isn't in it...   and the is not the type of player we need on either the Heat or the Flames...

Howse was a 3rd round pick in 2009 and Ortio is the only player remaining in the Flames system from that draft year, unless you count Granlund, Wotherspoon and Horak as they were the players received in return for Erixon in the trade...

030fe5f28578d98d990c2e3588193dea.png

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681473

Morgan Klimchuk and Ryan Howse won't be attending the Young Guns Tournament.

Klimchuk was injured during a WHL pre-season game and Howse has been suspended for failing to report. Dylan Smoskowitz and Andy Taranto have been added to the Young Guns roster.

I am a little concerned about the whole Howse failing to report situation. This would have been his last shot to prove that he is a pro hockey player, maybe he just didn't want that pressure. Some people can't handle the pressure that comes with being a professional hockey player, Howse never seemed to be willing to put in the necessary amount of work that is required. 

It is too bad about Klimchuk. But he will get the opportunity in the future. 

I guess it is too bad about Howse, but he has been off my radar for awhile now.  The limited ice time he was given at development camp pretty much sealed it for me.  He isn't a prospect today and he wasn't much of a prospect yesterday.  

I got excited about Howse in the dub too but once he turned pro he never showed you the work ethic you want to see out of a prospect. Even in prospect games a few years ago he would take lazy shifts and name terrible changes and I started to right him off then so not really surprised to hear this news

I've felt the same way about Howse, and Nemisz for the last couple years, as the same I felt about Mitch Wahl.  Once they turned pro they just couldn't find their stride.  Ferland is trending the same way, and I only hope the kid finds his niche' and turns into the ultra gritty power forward he was projected to be.  It's sad to see kids come so far and fall short of a dream, but the reality is that it happens.

According to Steinburgh the lines are:

Baertschi-Knight-Gordon

Elson-Monahan-Poirier

Ferland-Granlund-Hanowski

Taranto-Reinhart-Jooris

Kanzig-Wotherspoon

Sieloff-Kulak

Culkin-Ramage

Brossoit

Ortio

Does anyone know if the Flames site will be carrying the games?

They are streaming the games on the home page

I didn't get to watch the game tonight, just the highlights, but Ferland looked good from what they showed. 

I am curious for those who got to watch the game who stood out for you?

For me Granlund stood out in the first 2 periods, In the 3rd the line didn't get much playing time but he was showing good puck possession, positioning his 2 way game looked decent and the 2 goals he showed he has the finishing ability (no pun intended)  I don't like to judge by one game but Im excited to see him in training camp with the big boys all the talk with Mono and Knight making the club, I could see Grandlund turning a few heads and making the team. He didn't look like you're typical euro coming over to NA for the first time he didn't look out of place at all.

Ferland was on the same line and it looked like he has stepped his game up and his skating has improved showing he can use his strength and gritty play with and without the puck. when he set up Grandlund's second goal he showed off his soft mits!

Ramage looked solid nothing flashy but he stood out to me with his positioning, ability to move the puck out of our own zone and letting a few bombs go from the point, even setting up a few plays also showing he's not afraid to mix it up protecting the front of the net. the only knock I had on him is his strength on his skates.

Rhino had a solid 2 way game nothing really flashy, his skating looks like it has improved he looked like the most confident Flame out there. 

Knight, Poirer, Mono, Sieloff  all looked like they got better as the game went on but Granlund, Ferland, Ramage were the ones who caught my eye the most. some looked very gassed at points but I think that's to be expected with it being the first game and all.

Baertschi I only noticed in the first period kinda disappointing but after Nurse (also invisible) nailed him from behind in the first leads me to wonder if his ice time was being managed carefully due to a tweak or something. 

I didn't get to watch the game tonight, just the highlights, but Ferland looked good from what they showed. 

I am curious for those who got to watch the game who stood out for you?

Well it was an interesting game.  Plugged the pc into my TV and watched it that way.  Cool to see a game this early.

On to the game.

Granland was dominant.  Scored 2 in the first, and had a chance for a hattrick at the end of the period.  He played center on a line with Ferland.

MaxPower looked very professional and was great. 

Kanzig was good, and even showed some offense; he assisted a goal.  Did I mention that he got in a fight?

Monohan looked decent and found his game.

Poirier was gritty and scored from 2 feet away.

Wotherspoon?  He was his usual self - you didn't notice him.

Seilof - scrappy, laid some hits and got called for a penalty.

Baertschi? Invisible at times, but had some decent chances that appeared out of nowhere.  Feel like he is laying back a bit to make sure he doesn't get injured before camp.

Ramage - very solid and poised.

Kulak - scored on his own net, but then prevented an Oiler tap-in later.

Knight - plays solid.  Seemed to win his share of faceoffs.  Think he will be a force this year.

Overall, it was like watching an AHL or NHL team play a junior team.  The Flames dominated the game.  They did let the Oils back in briefly, but their so-called prospects were nothing special.  Didn't think Nurse or Klefbom played well at all.  Nobody on their team really stood out.  Chase and Marco Roy (did he change his name from Marc Oliver Roy or am I dreaming?).

Kulak - scored on his own net, but then prevented an Oiler tap-in later.

Knight - plays solid.  Seemed to win his share of faceoffs.  Think he will be a force this year.

Overall, it was like watching an AHL or NHL team play a junior team.  The Flames dominated the game.  They did let the Oils back in briefly, but their so-called prospects were nothing special.  Didn't think Nurse or Klefbom played well at all.  Nobody on their team really stood out.  Chase and Marco Roy (did he change his name from Marc Oliver Roy or am I dreaming?).

Not to be a dick or anything but that was Culkin not Kulak lol can see the confusion though.

Knight was solid showed good defense and offense at times I just didn't notice him as much as others I mentioned but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a soild 2 way guy! :)

I agree with you none of the coilers stood out mostly a bunch of big plugs ;)  kinda like us a few years back

haha you are not dreaming I was wondering the same thing Marco Roy and Marc Oliver Roy are the same person I believe

Not to be a dick or anything but that was Culkin not Kulak lol can see the confusion though.

Knight was solid showed good defense and offense at times I just didn't notice him as much as others I mentioned but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a soild 2 way guy! :)

I agree with you none of the coilers stood out mostly a bunch of big plugs ;)  kinda like us a few years back

haha you are not dreaming I was wondering the same thing Marco Roy and Marc Oliver Roy are the same person I believe

Dick?  I thought your name was Bobby. <_<

It may have been Culkin but I kept mixing them up.  Kerr was talking about one prospect not even on the ice, and Gene was trying to talk up the Oils, so it was bla, bla, bla, Gernat, bla, bla, Kanzig, bla, Winterhawks, bla, bla Oil Kings....The only thing missing was the "product of Slobobba Falls, AB...." and "doink". 

On Marco - Oilers NHL site listed it that way on the roster.

A little disappointing to hear Baertschi was a little invisible, with the expectations placed on him, with the NHL experience (finishing last season on a 7 game point streak) you'd think he would DOMINATE at a tournament like this!

It's the million-dollar question, no doubt.   Baertschi was quoted as saying that his focus will be training camp.   There is some question as to whether he belongs in this tournament, as he is basically the only one there who is guaranteed a roster spot.

Given that his stated focus is training camp, I think we have to save our evaluations until at Least training camp, and even that would be very preliminary.

Personally, I agree with the posters above that Baertschi is conditioning himself right now.   I am happy that he's made it thus far without any injury, despite taking some good hits.   I have no doubt that he will change gears in training camp, and again when the season starts.   I sitll expect him to be The feel good story of the year for the Flames.

On Granlund:  Way to go!    I sitll have him pegged for the AHL this year, and I honestly would rather see him lighting it up with the Heat than playing on the 3rd/4th line with the Flames.  But, he is certainly making a case for himself and you have to admire the improvement he's shown.

My stand out players from Game 2 vs Vancouver

Ortio was the best player by far 40 shots on goal only 1 g against, He made some highlight reel saves looking alot like his idol Kipper! His angles were good, positioning, lateral movment, coming out to challenge shooters was all great. Overall just an outstanding game by Ortio Canucks dominated the first 30 mins of the game after the first shots were 18 -8 Van the only reason the Flames stayed in it was because of him.

Ramage for many of the same reasons I posted yesterday, 2 pts, + 1, 3SOG, 2 Pims

I noticed alot of leadership quality's from him tonight being very vocal on the ice, you can tell he knows how to be a good leader.  He got the GWG with a nice snipe top left corner. once again like I said yesterday his strength on his skates is something he needs to work on.

Piorier looked a little nervous out there still at times held pointless with 3 SOG but showed he has the talent to be a Nhl caliber player with his foot speed, hands, and grit. Once he gets his confidence and works on his shot and positioning I think the critics will be silenced he's a more complete player than Shatinkurk.

Monahan had a strong game he looked more confident than vs EDM tonight I saw a good 2 way game from him showing him being positionally sound, his back checking ability's and good hockey sense  along with that came nice playmaking and sniping opportunity's. He comes as advertised! Ferland set him up for a nice shot and made no mistake and buried it.  

Ferland wasn't as noticeable tonight but have to give him credit the Canucks were giving it to the Flames up until he decided to scrap with Mallet It was a good fight at the right time that seemed to give the team the jump they needed, He likes to talk alot to the opposing team which I like to see I wish I could actually hear what he was saying though haha I'm sure there was some pretty interesting chirping going on. He set up Monahans goal once again showing some nice playmaking skill. He fights, He sets up goals, He scores goals, He irritates, He's big, He can skate, I know there is still alot of question marks about him but  there's alot to be excited about for this kid If he can tap into all this talent and be consistent and committed  he'll be on the big club sooner than later. The confidence and willingness in him seems to sick out this year alot more than previous years.

Eric Roy didn't play vs EDM as the game went on I started to notice him more and more he looks big out there! 1G 1A  the offensive talent is there much like Gordon (didn't play tonight) I see alot of raw talent there  a few more years refining there defensive, positing game in the minors I'm sure we will be talking about them more in the future IF they can improve in those areas.

Granlund's a 2 point night 1G 1A. His 2 way game is so underrated he made quite a few nice back checking defensive plays tonight along with his usual offensive flare. His board play is also great. I said I wouldn't be surprised if he turned a few heads at camp and made the big club but In Abby as a top 6 guy would be much better for his development than a 3rd 4th line guy with the Flames. 

Reinhart 1A 3 SOG  had another steady game for the usual reasons, speed, good north south game, overall he plays a good complete game, only knock I have on him is his strength  on his skates him getting layed out caused a good scoring chance for Van on Ortio. All that aside I still see him with the Flames at some point  this season.

Clukin +1 his game improved out there from yesterday , Jumping in the play along with good defensive plays. I'm still on the fence if turning pro this year or another year in the Q would be better for his development.

Kanzig +2 No secret about his size but his willingness to jump in the play is a pleasant surprise he's gotta work on his timing for jumping in though as well as positioning. His skating isn't as bad as you would think for a monster of a kid but needs work. Imagine him and Breen together that's a whole lot of size on the back end. 

Baertschi I'm hoping he's just playing safe until main camp only 1 SOG and a few bad turnovers, passes. I was expecting him to light this tourny up and stick out over everyone but thus far that hasn't been the case he doesn't look like himself.

Knight I also thought would be sticking out more he hasn't been as disappointing as Baert on the same line, he's shown little flashes that he has excellent talent but nothing consistent to make me think wow he'll be a 3rd line guy come Oct. so far Rheinhart looks like the best suited for that role.

Annddd I just noticed there was a thread about this game dammit! this should have been posted in there! :huh::rolleyes:<_<

Archived