Young Guns Tournament Roster

I am sure as we get close to the September tournament someone will make a beautiful GDT like post with all of the details.  But for now I thought it would be interesting to put some mock rosters together.  

My understanding is that to be eligible the prospect must have played fewer then 100 games of pro hockey (AHL, KHL, Sweden, NHL, etc).

My roster:

Baertschi-Monahan-Poirier

Klimchuk-Granlund-Gordon

Ferland-Knight-Elson

Howse-Reinhart-Hanowski

Wotherspoon-Ramage

Culkin-Sieloff

Roy-Kanzig

Billins-Kulak

Brossoit

Ortio

We will probably have to add a few invites for forward depth.  It is too bad we can't bring our college players.  Adding Gaudreau, Jankowski, and Agostino would make that roster a whole lot better.  Also, watching Harrison kill future Canucks would be AWESOME.  

I'm not sure they will risk playing Sven 

Unless Sven is injured, I can't see any reason not to play him or any other of our prospects.

/rant on

On a side note:

I don't understand where some of this we don't want our prospects to be in a position to get injured thinking is coming from. Peoples in another thread mentioned some similar thoughts.

If all you want is a bunch of "complaining sissy prospects" playing for your team then fine go ahead and "mother them" to death. Lets just push for total elimination of hitting altogether and your precious draft picks and prospects will be fine.

I said it last year about this time that there are forces around who would rather see the mens game be more like the non-hitting W omens game. The high profile concussion debate the last couple of seasons is only the beginning. Add the "we don't want or need fighting in the game" crowd and the game changing minor hockey regulations already in place and the footwork is already in place.

If you are truely worried about player / prospects getting injured so much, maybe you shouldn't be drafting smaller more fragile players to begin with.

/rant off

I truly wish we could see the NCAA guys in the lineup.  It's an obvious concensus that we all would like to see Gaudreau in this tourney, but I personally want to see what Agostino can bring against some top opposition for his age, including a few NHL'ers.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Arnold in this situation.

As for the comment above, "people with glass prospects shouldn't throw stones...." 

...wait, that's not right.

Unless Sven is injured, I can't see any reason not to play him or any other of our prospects.

If all you want is a bunch of "complaining sissy prospects" playing for your team then fine go ahead and "mother them" to death.

Exactly,  to do anything else would be also be pointless in terms of development...

It is also true that injuries can happen at different levels of hockey, and not just in the NHL...  Blake Geoffrion who is 25 years old, 6'2" and 190 lbs, sustained a depressed skull fracture in 2012 while playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs that turned out to be a career ending injury...

The point being is that it is not always the safer bet to send a player down in hopes that you will be protecting them while they further develop and "fill out their frame"...   Hell, I remember a guy that had a lot of potential for football suffering a knee injury during a high school game that ended his playing the game at a competitive level permanently...   By accident I permanently disfigured one of my best friends noses by lifting his stick too hard while playing floor hockey in grade eight...    It's terrible when it happens, but it just happens sometimes...   It's part of playing any competitive sport...

Does anyone here watch a lot of Hitman games? If so is Brady Brassart worth giving an invite to this tournament? He could provide some forward depth.

I like brassart. Don't think there is NHL potential there but I think he is a guy that could be a very useful AHL player. He's got a pretty complete game and is a battler so I wouldn't mind at all if they looked at him in that capacity.

I like brassart. Don't think there is NHL potential there but I think he is a guy that could be a very useful AHL player. He's got a pretty complete game and is a battler so I wouldn't mind at all if they looked at him in that capacity.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Calgary could use some forward depth in Abbotsford with guys like Laing, Sylvester, Walter, and Kolanos moving on. Plus they could use forward depth at this tournament.

Is the purpose of the tournament to showcase our Heat prospects?

If there is little chance of them making the Flames team, why put them in the Flames Prospects tournament roster?

Calgary has barely enough forwards that qualify for this tournament so to round out the roster they will probably bring in some invites.

Here is a look at Calgary's roster from last time this tournament was held. I count 9 invites. Now the prospect pool is a tad bit deeper this year so they won't need as many invites this time around. They will play quite a few games in a short period of time so I think they have to have extra bodies around to give players time off.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=587787

I agree with Deeds.  Why on earth would you not want your prospects at the tourny?  The NHL is a big boys game and guys get hurt all the time.  To keep players out because you think they will get hurt is just ridiculous.  If they can't cut it in a prospects tourny how in the world do you expect them to play at the NHL level?

Baertschi will probably play. But we know what we have in him. I am more interested in watching some of the other prospects and see how they stack up in real games. Granlund for instance is the kinda guy you expect to look good in a camp game. Can he play physical? Knight, Ramage, and Sieloff will probably flourish in this type of environment. I also want to see more of our first rounders.

Should be a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to recall that a few years ago in the Penticton tournament the Oilers had some goon running around trying to injure players.  The Flames didn't even have a tough guy on the roster.  So, hopefully there will be none of that nonsense this year and Kanzig/Ferland will be giving the evil eye to anyone who even looks sideways at Baertschi or the other skilled guys.

I tend to recall that a few years ago in the Penticton tournament the Oilers had some goon running around trying to injure players.  The Flames didn't even have a tough guy on the roster.  So, hopefully there will be none of that nonsense this year and Kanzig/Ferland will be giving the evil eye to anyone who even looks sideways at Baertschi or the other skilled guys.

I think the one your thinking about was the tournament in Alberta where Kyle Greentree was decked from behind with a terribly check by a no name oiler prospect. I don't know for sure if he was running around doing it to others but it was a brutal hit and I seem to recall the flames even publicaly questioned the benefit of these tournaments.

I think the one your thinking about was the tournament in Alberta where Kyle Greentree was decked from behind with a terribly check by a no name oiler prospect. I don't know for sure if he was running around doing it to others but it was a brutal hit and I seem to recall the flames even publicaly questioned the benefit of these tournaments.

Well hopefully the Oilers and Canucks will be questioning the benefit of these tournaments when they see their prospects shaking in their little booties when Kanzig steps out on the ice and lines up beside them during the faceoffs.  Or when Sieloff re-paints the boards with one of their forwards.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joking aside, I believe these tournaments are more for the benefit of the scouting department to see their hard work in action, and also for the fans to see the depth of the org they cheer for.  It's also a chance for individual prospects to raise their stock and earn a few minutes in the spotlight.

The real benefit for each org as a whole would be the preseason.  There they can decipher what prospects deserve a shot at the roster and which ones need more development.

• 3 weeks later...

The invites have been announced http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680536&navid=DL|CGY|home:

GOALTENDERS (2)

• Laurent Brossoit
  • Joni Ortio

DEFENCEMEN (8)

• Ryan Culkin (L)
  • Zach Davies (L)
  • Keegan Kanzig (L)
  • Brett Kulak (L)
  • John Ramage (R.)
  • Eric Roy (L)
  • Patrick Sieloff (L)
  • Tyler Wotherspoon (L)

FORWARDS (14)

• Sven Baertschi (LW)
  • Turner Elson (LW)
  • Michael Ferland (LW)
  • Coda Gordon (LW)
  • Markus Granlund (C.)
  • Ben Hanowski (RW)
  • Ryan Howse (RW)
  • Josh Jooris (C.)
  • Morgan Klimchuk (LW)
  • Corban Knight (C.)
  • Sean Monahan (C.)
  • Linden Penner (RW)
  • Emile Poirier (RW)
  • Max Reinhart (C.)

The only surprise for me is the absence of Billens.  But he is borderline eligible and there is a high number of prospects so it isn't too surprising.  

I have to say the most exciting prospect to watch will be Sieloff as he lays out the opposition's top prospects (lol @ Shinkaruk) one at a time.  A close second will be the 3 x 1st rounders in this years draft.

Edit: Oops, forgot about Granlund.  It'll be nice to see some play from him for once.  Kinda hard to get any media coverage on the kid when he's tucked away in Europe.

I was perusing the lineups of some of the other teams and damn are they ever huge.  Both the Oilers and Jets Canucks prospects are massive and the Sharks are also quite big.

I hope that they come to play hockey but I'm sure there will be a few tough guys (Kanzig and Ferland likely included) that will try to make their respective clubs take notice. 

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680612

Cameron Abney   RW 6' 5" 205

BRANDON BADDOCK   LW 6' 2" 195

TY BILCKE   rw 6' 2" 217 

Gregory Chase   C 6' 0" 195

Travis Ewanyk   C 6' 2" 192

AUSTIN FYTEN   LW 6' 2" 200

Jackson Houck   RW 6' 0" 184

Kale Kessy   LW 6' 3" 202

Jujhar Khaira   C/LW 6' 3" 198

Andrew Miller   C 5' 10" 180

Mitch Moroz   LW 6' 2" 208

reid petryk   C 6' 1" 200

Kyle Platzer   RW 5' 11" 184

Marco Roy   RW 6' 0" 175

CHASE SCHABER   c 6' 0" 194

Ben Betker   D 6' 5" 200

Brandon Davidson   D 6' 1" 202

Martin Gernat   D 6' 5" 187

Oscar Klefbom   D 6' 3" 204

Joey Leach   D 6' 4" 200

Martin Marincin   D 6' 5" 196

David Musil   D 6' 3" 196

Darnell Nurse   D 6' 4" 185

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680626&navid=DL|WPG|home

Blomqvist, Axel LW 6’5” 194

Brassard, Austen RW 6’2” 203

Dupuy, Jean RW 6’3” 195

Kosmachuk, Scott RW 6’0” 190

Lipon, J.C. RW 6’0” 180

Lodge, Jimmy RW 6’2” 166

Lowry, Adam C 6’5” 210

Olsen, Ryan C 6’2” 190

Petan, Nic C 5’9” 170

Scheifele, Mark C 6’2” 192

Sutter, Lukas C 6’1” 214

Theoret, Mitchell LW 6’2” 212

Verrier, Jerome RW 5’11” 181

Bell, Zach D 6’2” 228

Kichton, Brenden D 6’0” 189

Kostalek, Jan D 6’1” 181

Morrissey, Josh D 6’0” 186

Sol, Cody D 6’6” 235

Stanton, Ty D 6’3” 173

Trouba, Jacob D 6’2” 196

http://canucks.nhl.com/v2/ext/2013%20Penticton%20Roster.pdf

Andersson, Peter D 6'3" 194

Blain, Jeremie D 6’2” 192 

Cederholm, Anton D 6’1” 205

Corrado, Frankie D 6’2” 191 

Johnston, Daniel D 6’2” 211

Liberati, Miles D 6’0” 195

McEneny, Evan D 6’2” 205

Subban, Jordan D 5’9” 175

Tommernes, Henrik D 6’0” 176 

Guimond, Sacha D 6’2” 175 

Blomstrand, Ludwig LW 6’1” 198 

Cassels, Cole C 6’0” 178

De Champlain, Adam LW 6’1” 177 

Elliot, Mitch LW 6’5” 230 

Franson, Cain LW 6’1” 175

Friesen, Alex C 5’10” 186 

Gaunce, Brendan C 6’2” 205

Grenier, Alexandre RW 6’5” 200 

Hall, Zach C 5’11” 172

Hope, Kyle LW 6’1” 188

Horvat, Bo C 6’0” 206

Jensen, Niklas W 6’3” 187 

Maillet, Philippe C 5’10” 185 

Mallet, Alexandre C 6’1” 194 

Mychan, Jesse LW 6’2” 200 

Myron, Wesley F 6’2” 190

Pacan, David RW 6’4” 220

Shinkaruk, Hunter C 5’10” 181  

This may end up being a very physical tournament.

^ well to be honest, Sutter went for the "huge" in drafting choices and that mentality landed the Flames with one of the worst prospect pools in the league.  I'm not saying all huge players are a bust, but being huge isn't a defining factor on the success of a team.

^ well to be honest, Sutter went for the "huge" in drafting choices and that mentality landed the Flames with one of the worst prospect pools in the league.  I'm not saying all huge players are a bust, but being huge isn't a defining factor on the success of a team.

Whats to worry, players get bigger each year.

We have our own big intimidating guy and he is only 18:

4d90541a3c8b2b57f308bf2ae786b9ff.png

Pretty sure KK was who Feaster was talking about when he said he opened up some eyes at the testing with only 7% body fat rating.

Archived